Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

Get back to us when your canoe turns into a john boat and your zooming around the lake.

I am taking my glitter rocket out to hit up the lakes in central texas where fish are just starting to spawn. poo poo is crazy.
Haha.. I think I might be safe from that level of escalation.

I think a big part of my conversion is the canoe itself.
I've always fished from motor boats and ripping around from spot to spot, while efficient, just feels like transportation..
In the canoe the getting around itself is enjoyable. I can just cruise along and cast at whatever on my way, or throw out some line and troll while leisurely paddling.

I can also get in places, and entire bodies of water no one else can. Not even the kayakers :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Math You posted:

Haha.. I think I might be safe from that level of escalation.

I think a big part of my conversion is the canoe itself.
I've always fished from motor boats and ripping around from spot to spot, while efficient, just feels like transportation..
In the canoe the getting around itself is enjoyable. I can just cruise along and cast at whatever on my way, or throw out some line and troll while leisurely paddling.

I can also get in places, and entire bodies of water no one else can. Not even the kayakers :cool:

I can’t quite fathom what a canoe can get in that a kayak can’t these days. I would figure a canoe has more vessel under the waterline.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

I can’t quite fathom what a canoe can get in that a kayak can’t these days. I would figure a canoe has more vessel under the waterline.

Land. Canoes are much lighter and less awkward to carry. If I put a couple KM portage in, I can be confident not many people will be fishing there.

The biggest difference of course would be tripping.
A canoe can contain all of your gear and provisions for a multi week trip that allows you to access fisheries that no one else can, especially in parks that don't allow fly-ins.
Apparently some of the best trout fishing in the world is spring in a couple of the far corners of Algonquin park. Might have to make a go of it this spring!

But yeah, on a day trip or the same body of water, a kayak will typically get around a bit faster, and the canoe will be more roomy. The pedal drive kayaks certainly have a big advantage being able to move and freely cast at the same time.

Edit: this is specific to the region I live in. If I were on big water, ease of carrying my craft wouldn't be such a highlight feature.. and I don't think I'd take my canoe on the ocean, period.

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

Land. Canoes are much lighter and less awkward to carry. If I put a couple KM portage in, I can be confident not many people will be fishing there.

The biggest difference of course would be tripping.
A canoe can contain all of your gear and provisions for a multi week trip that allows you to access fisheries that no one else can, especially in parks that don't allow fly-ins.
Apparently some of the best trout fishing in the world is spring in a couple of the far corners of Algonquin park. Might have to make a go of it this spring!

But yeah, on a day trip or the same body of water, a kayak will typically get around a bit faster, and the canoe will be more roomy. The pedal drive kayaks certainly have a big advantage being able to move and freely cast at the same time.

Edit: this is specific to the region I live in. If I were on big water, ease of carrying my craft wouldn't be such a highlight feature.. and I don't think I'd take my canoe on the ocean, period.

Maybe this is a language barrier issue. They make kayaks my 6 year old can pick up and carry. I can assure you, wherever you can carry your canoe , someone can carry their kayak if they are using one meant to be light.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

Maybe this is a language barrier issue. They make kayaks my 6 year old can pick up and carry. I can assure you, wherever you can carry your canoe , someone can carry their kayak if they are using one meant to be light.

A canoe is still going to be lighter on average, and especially when you start looking at things like carrying capacity. My canoe is 40lbs and can carry well in excess of 600lbs, and that's just not something you will ever replicate in a yak.

Even then, the weight isn't the issue. It's how you bear the load. The way I've carried a kayak is up on one shoulder, and seems to be the most common. I've seen some people strap padding to the seat and balance them on their heads. No matter how light your kayak is, carrying one for an hour uninterrupted like this will suck.
A canoe has a thwart placed at the center that allows you to carry it perfectly balanced on your shoulders. Oh, and only half of your party has to carry a boat at all!

So yeah, you can carry a kayak. Out for a day trip or for short distances it's fine, but for tripping into remote areas where you are carrying gear and food, you want a canoe. They are simply two very different tools.

I think it's a pretty interesting regional disconnect. Here in Ontario the canoe is an incredibly culturally significant watercraft, and the type of tripping I'm referring to is quite popular.. but kayaks have become dominant recreationally. So we're starting to see things like a boom in solo and pack canoes, which cater to people who are comfortable in a kayak but want to try canoe camping.
It's always fun to hear from people other areas where what's "common knowledge" to me raises eyebrows.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Yeah it's fun to read about how big kayaks are down the in states when up here in Ontario the big thing all my life really has been the Canoe and the ~ ~ Portage ~ ~ of said Canoe through Algonquin every year for a weekend or a week.

Kayaks and fishing kayaks are becoming more popular up here though. Or I'm just more tuned in I guess.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I need a recommendation on a catfish rod and reel as my heaviest set-up I currently own can support 14 lb test at the most. My area is know for some massive catfish and I would like to be able to comfortably target 30+ pounds, it's not uncommon to see people pulling up giant fish on the river.

Especially now that I have my boat I have better and longer range access then my kayak afforded me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rythe posted:

I need a recommendation on a catfish rod and reel as my heaviest set-up I currently own can support 14 lb test at the most. My area is know for some massive catfish and I would like to be able to comfortably target 30+ pounds, it's not uncommon to see people pulling up giant fish on the river.

Especially now that I have my boat I have better and longer range access then my kayak afforded me.

I use a 12 ft surf rod for catfish. Partially, because that’s what I have and partially because the crossover between catching massive saltwater fish and massive catfish is there. If you ever think you are going to be fishing on the coast and he’s to hit spots a football field out, get a 12 ft tiralejo and have it double as your catfish rod. If you aren’t going to hit the surf, it’s overkill though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

There is a dude on youtube called kayak catfish. He fishes the Tennessee river valley and he catches giant catfish. He not only is a good watch in general, but he gives you a good idea on what tackle he uses and the importance of bait. I would give him a long watch because if catfish is what you are after, he is an extreme wealth of knowledge. Being that you have a boat his technics are things you can use and his videos alone have led me to my biggest catfish.

The general consensus for catfish is that spending a lot of money on rods is pointless. I like the big ugly sticks myself and they are 40 bucks or less. Either the casting rods or the spinning rods depending on the type of reel you like. I like them and a lot of people do because they are cheap and you arent going to snap them.

Reels is basically the same thing. You aren't going to be doing a lot of casting. SO anything with a big spool and a clicker work just fine. Spending a lot of money on catfish reels is pointless.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sickening posted:

There is a dude on youtube called kayak catfish. He fishes the Tennessee river valley and he catches giant catfish. He not only is a good watch in general, but he gives you a good idea on what tackle he uses and the importance of bait. I would give him a long watch because if catfish is what you are after, he is an extreme wealth of knowledge. Being that you have a boat his technics are things you can use and his videos alone have led me to my biggest catfish.

The general consensus for catfish is that spending a lot of money on rods is pointless. I like the big ugly sticks myself and they are 40 bucks or less. Either the casting rods or the spinning rods depending on the type of reel you like. I like them and a lot of people do because they are cheap and you arent going to snap them.

Reels is basically the same thing. You aren't going to be doing a lot of casting. SO anything with a big spool and a clicker work just fine. Spending a lot of money on catfish reels is pointless.

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I'm always looking for new fishing channels to watch. I'm a fairly proficient at catfishing but I have always used lighter tackle to target 3-5 lb fish for eating and up scaling my weights and rigs should be simple. We have the shad run happening soon so I should be able to get all the cut bait I need for the year and my daughter is a Bluegill catching beast so she keeps me with live bait.

I was assuming a ugly stick was the way to go, I have a few now and I absolutely love those, just need to figure out what action is best. The reel is where my knowledge is lacking but I know I want a casting set up. I might check out Luke from Catfish and Carp too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I'm always looking for new fishing channels to watch. I'm a fairly proficient at catfishing but I have always used lighter tackle to target 3-5 lb fish for eating and up scaling my weights and rigs should be simple. We have the shad run happening soon so I should be able to get all the cut bait I need for the year and my daughter is a Bluegill catching beast so she keeps me with live bait.

I was assuming a ugly stick was the way to go, I have a few now and I absolutely love those, just need to figure out what action is best. The reel is where my knowledge is lacking but I know I want a casting set up. I might check out Luke from Catfish and Carp too.

In my opinion , heavier action just doesn’t do it for me when catfishing. It’s so important to let them hook themselves up and to not set the hook like you would doing any other fishing. I need something strong but slow action. The older white ugly sticks are perfect for that.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sickening posted:

In my opinion , heavier action just doesn’t do it for me when catfishing. It’s so important to let them hook themselves up and to not set the hook like you would doing any other fishing. I need something strong but slow action. The older white ugly sticks are perfect for that.

From my research it looks like I want a Medium Heavy action and a pole that ranges in the 7'4-8" range, thankfully I have two really well stocked tackle shops in my area and a Cabela's that I should be able to find a Ugly Stick that meets that requirements.

For the reels is there anything special besides something that can hold 30 lb test?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Rythe posted:

From my research it looks like I want a Medium Heavy action and a pole that ranges in the 7'4-8" range, thankfully I have two really well stocked tackle shops in my area and a Cabela's that I should be able to find a Ugly Stick that meets that requirements.

For the reels is there anything special besides something that can hold 30 lb test?

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product/Avenger-ABF-Spinning-Reel/Avenger-ABF-Spinning-Reel.html
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ugly-stik-surf-spinning-rod

Get some 50 pound PowerPro and you're good to go.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

I you are fishing from a boat I don’t see why you need rods that long. I would need to go look, but I think my ugly sticks are just 6’6 or under.

If you were bank/surf fishing, sure.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think you might be right on the size of the pole, the bank fishing I'll be doing is on small rivers and don't need the range a large pole will generate. Plus a large pole would be a hindrance in a boat I think.

6-6'6 seems like that might be a perfect size.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lunker bass time! Get out there and throw some topwater! I'm gonna throw some grubs on a jig head so I can practice my loop knot.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
As a dude who's generally used scavenged or inherited tackle, I don't really have a gauge for which size dickspoon is appropriate for the species I target, not being able to see how big they are in person.

I live in Ontario and fish for walleye and brook trout where I can. Otherwise I'll target bass and smaller pike.

Does Sir Kobolds ship to Canada?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

In Tampa now.

What do I fish?

How???

:smith:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rythe posted:

For bait fishing just any old glass rod will be fine. Probably in the 7' 8-15lb range.

For a reel all you need is a well built fish winch like a Penn Spinfisher or something. You'll be casting out and then leaving the rod in the holder so it doesn't need to be light.

Fishing for gummy sharks here seems very much like the saltwater equivalent of fishing for catfish - just yeet out a big oily bait and wait for a hookup.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

In Tampa now.

What do I fish?

How???

You open google maps, look at the nearly infinite freshwater and saltwater options, and then you go try something.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Math You posted:

As a dude who's generally used scavenged or inherited tackle, I don't really have a gauge for which size dickspoon is appropriate for the species I target, not being able to see how big they are in person.

I live in Ontario and fish for walleye and brook trout where I can. Otherwise I'll target bass and smaller pike.

Does Sir Kobolds ship to Canada?

Hi! I definitely have shipped dickspoons to Canada. There will likely be covid-related customs delays and I'd need to give you a shipping quote, but I'm more than happy to ship internationally.

The OG dickspoon comes in four sizes: 5g, 10g, 15g, and 20g. The 5g is ideal for a trout rod with 6 lb test line, or something similar. I think that a 10g or a 15g would be decent for walleye, bass, and pike. I think the 20g would be great for trolling for salmon or something similar. Could be good for surf fishing, too, but that may not be relevant to Ontario.

Speaking of dickspoons, they're 25% off for the rest of February. I really really really don't want to poo poo up this thread or the discord by shilling for my shop, but if anybody wants dickspoons (including the multicolor combo boxes), they're cheaper now than they usually are. If you want something that you don't see, I can probably make it for you. I have time this weekend.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Despite living minutes from one of the great lakes my entire life, I've never really put much effort into catching fish other than going out with a cooler of beers and spending an afternoon drowning worms. My wife recently made the fatal mistake of telling me she'd like me to fill our freezer with fish, so it looks like I'll be spending some time really learning how to fish. I don't really have any content to contribute yet, but I'm glad this thread exists because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as the weather gets nicer and I start actually putting together plans for some fishing trips.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I love it. Its a great thread full of useful advice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
On another note i was flinging some spinners in a flounder hole thats usually productive but got nothing. I asked an old timer where are all the good local fishing reports since the local fishing forums are dead. He said theyre all on fuckin facebook now. I havent had a fb account in many years and now im thinking of it just for fishing

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

HamAdams posted:

Despite living minutes from one of the great lakes my entire life, I've never really put much effort into catching fish other than going out with a cooler of beers and spending an afternoon drowning worms. My wife recently made the fatal mistake of telling me she'd like me to fill our freezer with fish, so it looks like I'll be spending some time really learning how to fish. I don't really have any content to contribute yet, but I'm glad this thread exists because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as the weather gets nicer and I start actually putting together plans for some fishing trips.

Swing by the discord! It's pretty active and everyone is super helpful and chill.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HamAdams posted:

She wants you out of the house so her boyfriend can come over.

J/K,
Look into party boat charters so you can learn quickly and get a full chest.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gamera009 posted:

In Tampa now.

What do I fish?

How???

Depends on what you wanna catch! :eng101:

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Tonight is the night that I ventured onto the ice for the last time this season. I think spring is coming sooner than we think. :(

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

HamAdams posted:

One of my coworkers will fill his freezer with panfish fillets during ice-fishing season, but a Great Lales charter will let you do it with lake trout and walleye.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

crazypeltast52 posted:

One of my coworkers will fill his freezer with panfish fillets during ice-fishing season, but a Great Lales charter will let you do it with lake trout and walleye.

Yeah still trying to decide the best way to approach this. Fishing streams for trout seems the most appealing to me, especially if I can make a camping trip out of it, but that's probably not the most effective way of filling the freezer.

Untrustable posted:

Swing by the discord! It's pretty active and everyone is super helpful and chill.

Mind dropping a link? I tried a couple links from this thread but they seem to have expired.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

HamAdams posted:

Mind dropping a link? I tried a couple links from this thread but they seem to have expired.

https://discord.gg/5mEGXQDXsT

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I finally got out on the ice last weekend. Two afternoons of sun, snow, and goddamned wind. Thermal meter said -10C, but the wind brought that down to around -23. Managed to yard up a couple spring stock walleyes, a very tiny pike and a very fine 2kg pike.

Not bad at all for a shamefully late first trip of the season.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

King of Bees posted:

On another note i was flinging some spinners in a flounder hole thats usually productive but got nothing. I asked an old timer where are all the good local fishing reports since the local fishing forums are dead. He said theyre all on fuckin facebook now. I havent had a fb account in many years and now im thinking of it just for fishing

Facebook in my neck of the woods is also the best resource for fishing hunting cycling and general outdoors news and events. If you only follow those things and actively block anyone that spams memes whines or flowery background Karen graffiti inspirational quotes and stuff it's not that terrible.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

XeeD posted:

I finally got out on the ice last weekend. Two afternoons of sun, snow, and goddamned wind. Thermal meter said -10C, but the wind brought that down to around -23. Managed to yard up a couple spring stock walleyes, a very tiny pike and a very fine 2kg pike.

Not bad at all for a shamefully late first trip of the season.

I had amazingly beautiful weather, nearly 42F on the ice and no wind. Unfortunately I caught zero fish. Likely my last day ice fishing as I got my keys to my house today. On the plus side, come spring, I'm right on the edge of a National Forest.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Depends on what you wanna catch! :eng101:

Ordered a Echo Boost Blue and am waiting for a paycheck for a behemoth salt reel. Going to set it for mid-size inshore fishing, but in the meantime, I ain’t got anything else. Mostly biking around the causeway and seeing a ton of people netting stuff and a few fishing very unsuccessfully.

Seemed interesting?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Any trapping going on?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gamera009 posted:

In Tampa now.

What do I fish?

How???

Just get out there and figure it out as you go.

Option 1: Buy a 9' surf rod combo, a cheap rig, a 3-oz wight, and some bait shrimp. Rig it up according to the picture on the back of the rig package. Put 1/3 of a peeled shrimp on each hook and cast into the slack water between the breakers and the shoreline at the closest beach. You'll have a shot at whiting, flounder, pompano, puffers, black drum, sheepshead, red drum.

Option 2: Buy a cheap rod and reel combo from Wal-Mart, a bobber, some 1/8 oz jig heads, and some nightcrawlers. Go to your nearest pond, pinch off ~2" of nightcrawler and put it on the jighead about 1-2' below the bobber. Cast near the deepest part of the pond. Catfish, bass, and sunfish are all likely suspects.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

FB is useless for me, everyone is too protective of "their" spots. It's just a bunch of people asking where the fish are and then some goober saying "have you checked the water? lolllololololl"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dik Hz posted:

Just get out there and figure it out as you go.

Option 1: Buy a 9' surf rod combo, a cheap rig, a 3-oz wight, and some bait shrimp. Rig it up according to the picture on the back of the rig package. Put 1/3 of a peeled shrimp on each hook and cast into the slack water between the breakers and the shoreline at the closest beach. You'll have a shot at whiting, flounder, pompano, puffers, black drum, sheepshead, red drum.

Option 2: Buy a cheap rod and reel combo from Wal-Mart, a bobber, some 1/8 oz jig heads, and some nightcrawlers. Go to your nearest pond, pinch off ~2" of nightcrawler and put it on the jighead about 1-2' below the bobber. Cast near the deepest part of the pond. Catfish, bass, and sunfish are all likely suspects.

Other option: the free piers at Fort DeSoto, which rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

FB is useless for me, everyone is too protective of "their" spots. It's just a bunch of people asking where the fish are and then some goober saying "have you checked the water? lolllololololl"

I'd go to a bait shop, buy something, then chat up whoever is selling the bait.

Have a friend in the military who hires a shore charter for a half day every time he moves duty station. That and he goes to piers in uniform with a fishing pole and just chats with the old guys.