Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I finally decided to use brick link because there was a Mario figure I wanted(dry bones) and it's just locked in a cycle of "verify your email address to check out" then "your email address has already been verified" when I click the link in my email. Is it usually fussy or am I an anomaly?

I've tried all the usual cache clearing and logging in again. I'll give it a day and if it's still fussy I'll just make a new account with a new email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tuo posted:

Okay...don't enter my office kitchen...(it's next to my BBQ pit, and i'm kinda into kitchen knives....)

Oh I will and we will talk about knives.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dogen posted:

Oh I will and we will talk about knives.

Ye....yeah....that sounds....uhm.....yeah. starts counting damascus layers

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'd been wanting to try stud.io for a while, and after watching Carbohydrates' stream, I finally took the plunge. I seriously wish I'd done it sooner. I'd never done any sort of 3d rendering before, but I picked up the controls pretty quickly. I'm a huge nerd for Ghostbusters and had built a lego ghost trap irl, so I started by replicating that digitally. It only took 90 minutes or so. I'm pretty pleased for my first time out. The opening doors were way easier than I thought they'd be.

Still thinking about putting a light brick in, but it takes up so much space you can't fit a minifig in. Also I forgot the pilot light before I took the screenshot.

Also Carbohydrates, on Tuesday you mentioned using boat studs for connections slightly shorter than 1plate. A while ago, one of my car mocs didn't have enough head room for a minifig even with one of those. I ended up using the top part of a 2x2 turn table. It worked out pretty well, lots of clutch on those. Another time I used one of these for a tight fit.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

I'd been wanting to try stud.io for a while, and after watching Carbohydrates' stream, I finally took the plunge. I seriously wish I'd done it sooner. I'd never done any sort of 3d rendering before, but I picked up the controls pretty quickly. I'm a huge nerd for Ghostbusters and had built a lego ghost trap irl, so I started by replicating that digitally. It only took 90 minutes or so. I'm pretty pleased for my first time out. The opening doors were way easier than I thought they'd be.
Hey, that's awesome! Great job, and I'm glad you started using Stud.io. It's seriously very easy to pick up. Do yourself a favor and set up a keybind for "copy + mirror" - it'll save you so much time in the long run. I use ctrl+shift+C.

deoju posted:

Also Carbohydrates, on Tuesday you mentioned using boat studs for connections slightly shorter than 1plate. A while ago, one of my car mocs didn't have enough head room for a minifig even with one of those. I ended up using the top part of a 2x2 turn table. It worked out pretty well, lots of clutch on those. Another time I used one of these for a tight fit.
Yeah, absolutely! To clarify, I use the boat stud when I want a visual profile that's shorter than a plate when viewed from the side or slightly above, due to its heavily rounded shape. The actual height of the thing is still the same as a plate (8 LDU), so it rarely works as well when you need to buy yourself space. As you mentioned, the turntable top (4 LDU thick, not counting the nub) and 2 x 2 hinge brick top (2 LDU thick, not counting the hinge) work much better for buying you room. The turntable top has another interesting feature too, in that it's not quite as wide as a 2 x 2 plate, allowing it to kinda-sorta fit into some weird spaces it probably shouldn't, like up against a car windshield. I used it here to simulate a sunroof:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Hate to double post, but I think I'm done with this for now! 2015 Jeep Renegade.

The whole thing came about when I saw that the axle pin with friction comes in white and I could use that for the X taillights of the modern Renegade. The whole rest of the build is just a vehicle (lol) for that idea, really. And then I started looking up Renegades for reference and saw an olive green one, so I cursed myself by trying to build a model out of olive green, which was a nightmare. There are so few parts in olive! This car has 66 olive pieces, but across only 16 different molds. Anyway, here it is!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Love that running board.
Olive green is criminally under utilised.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That looks great.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A few mods and that would be a spot on Land Rover Discovery Series II.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

As you mentioned, the turntable top (4 LDU thick, not counting the nub) and 2 x 2 hinge brick top (2 LDU thick, not counting the hinge) work much better for buying you room. The turntable top has another interesting feature too, in that it's not quite as wide as a 2 x 2 plate, allowing it to kinda-sorta fit into some weird spaces it probably shouldn't, like up against a car windshield. I used it here to simulate a sunroof:

The turntable top is low key one of the best parts Lego makes. Beyond it's intended use, it's great for low profile reinforcement and greebling.

I'm glad I grabbed hundreds of them one time at PAB.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Star Wars Lego stream! I'll be building the large size BB-8 1100 pieces. I'm also drinking Crystal Pepsi.

http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Second iteration of my ghost trap.

It is two studs longer from front to back, which improved 3 things... Better proportioned to the original prop, allowed for the use of triangle tiles for better looking stripes on top, and it now accommodates a light-up brick that is activated by the technic pin at the back. One downside....rarer and more expensive pieces increase the cost of building it in meat space by quite a bit.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 26, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Which bits are the rare ones?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The triangle tiles are pretty new and still uncommon. But the yellow one is really the problem. There has been only 1 set released with it and that set contained only one of them. Currently 4 lots (16 pieces total) of them are for sale on bricklink, compared to 2,931 lots of the 1 x 1 tile. :(
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=35787&in=S

Also light-up bricks can be a couple of bucks each.

I'll fiddle around some more tomorrow...

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 26, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've been really enjoying this youtube series on old and retired Lego themes, especially since most of the lines are from my dark age. There's discussion of how themes evolved and influences later lines, how they were marketed and received, and a look at various tie-ins. Worth checking out.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

deoju posted:

The triangle tiles are pretty new and still uncommon. But the yellow one is really the problem. There has been only 1 set released with it and that set contained only one of them. Currently 4 lots (16 pieces total) of them are for sale on bricklink, compared to 2,931 lots of the 1 x 1 tile. :(

Keep an eye on Bricks and Pieces for stuff like that - specifically, parts that only came in 1 recent set that you need multiples of. That part in that color is currently not in stock on there, but I'd imagine it will be soon, and you can score a pile of them that way. The new version of that trap looks fantastic, by the way - great job!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Built it in one stream.

4.5 hours, but I distracted myself A LOT, showing off random pieces and showing how random bricks can fit together. Went much better than my attempts at short morning Lego streams.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

deoju posted:

I said it on Carbs' stream the other week (happy birthday, btw!), but I fuckin' love those triangle tiles.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

deoju posted:

This is what Bricks and Pieces is made for. You can get obscene amounts of them.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So today I've learned something new, but maybe I'm just stupid and everybody else knows this already?

When you order something and your GWP is put into your shopping cart together with the rest of your order, if it takes a few days to ship because an item in your purchase is backordered or something, you may lose your GWP in the meantime, despite being there in the shopping cart at the time of paying. It will simply disappear from your order like it never existed (in my case I ordered the Porsche and it was only backordered for about 2 days, but it was enough for GWP to disappear because they presumably ran out of stock in the meantime). So that's pretty cool. Lego shop@home really has got to be one of the absolute worst websites around for online shopping.

No, I don't expect them to ship me something they don't have, but it's a pretty crappy thing to do anyway, especially when it was only a couple of days. They should have some kind of process to "reserve" inventory at least for a short while while the rest of the order is not yet available I think?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Never make any purchase contingent on getting the freebie. “While supplies last” is as caveat emptor as it gets.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What about VIP stuff you add to orders :lol:

Product not going out on time? VIP stuff gone? There go your VIP points. (apparently, you can work this out with Lego service, but it's still kinda bad, especially since you can only redeem one VIP code per order [at least over here]).

e: can't wait what happens once the Amilia Earlhart GWP drops...I really hope they have a good stock of them, as it seems the whole Lego-world is currently browsing the shop to see what they can spend their money on to get that.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2021

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tuo posted:

e: can't wait what happens once the Amilia Earlhart GWP drops...I really hope they have a good stock of them, as it seems the whole Lego-world is currently browsing the shop to see what they can spend their money on to get that.

LOL. What are you on about, this is Lego, of course they DON'T have a good stock of them and it will all be gone in an hour!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Never make any purchase contingent on getting the freebie. “While supplies last” is as caveat emptor as it gets.

The freebie was just the skating rink which I already have, so I don't even care about losing it, it's just weird that it was there in the cart and in my email confirmation (so this would have been already a day after the order of course) but then it just disppeared and was not shipped.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A man can dream, right?

e: maybe I can trade a Cara Dune for Amelia Earhart, though she (the later one) doesn't deserve that

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Speaking of the Earhart GWP, check out the Brickset review to see a waaaaaay better stand for the thing.

The one it comes with:

Huw's design:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How's she standing in front of the plane if it's flying HUH? HUH?!? immersion ruined

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Carbohydrates posted:

Speaking of the Earhart GWP, check out the Brickset review to see a waaaaaay better stand for the thing.

The one it comes with:

Huw's design:

I would guess the second option while much nicer looking probably also puts way too much stress on the black pieces.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

This is something I never understood about the latest Tantive IV. I know it's a playset, but putting it on a propper stand is - imo - night and day in regard to displaying that set (and come on, that's no playset children want....it's an AFOL set...). Since I lack creativity my stand for it is really bad, but it changes sooo much for that set. Would have added like 50 or 80 bricks to the set.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

ivantod posted:

So today I've learned something new, but maybe I'm just stupid and everybody else knows this already?

When you order something and your GWP is put into your shopping cart together with the rest of your order, if it takes a few days to ship because an item in your purchase is backordered or something, you may lose your GWP in the meantime, despite being there in the shopping cart at the time of paying. It will simply disappear from your order like it never existed (in my case I ordered the Porsche and it was only backordered for about 2 days, but it was enough for GWP to disappear because they presumably ran out of stock in the meantime). So that's pretty cool. Lego shop@home really has got to be one of the absolute worst websites around for online shopping.

No, I don't expect them to ship me something they don't have, but it's a pretty crappy thing to do anyway, especially when it was only a couple of days. They should have some kind of process to "reserve" inventory at least for a short while while the rest of the order is not yet available I think?
I just got back into LEGO and intend to go for the March 6th GWP, so this is really good to know. Sucks that their system is so bad on this but at least I know to avoid backorders on orders where I'm trying to get the GWP now

Do y'all think we'll get any new stock in before that GWP period? There's plenty I'm interested in so I'm not worried, but I would love for the botanical series to come back in stock

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

The one it comes with:

Huw's design:

Shouldn't the stand be blue with the plane turned the other way?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Shouldn't the stand be blue with the plane turned the other way?

Most convincing evidence so far is they landed safely on a beach and died on the island after the tide destroyed the plane. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I just can't help myself from making stupid jokes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Leaked dragon!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

ivantod posted:

Did you actually open a CSR ticket? The store might have just had a gently caress up and removed it from your order but they still have stock and will fedex you the GWP anyway.

(Happened for my blacksmith)

Was there even a GWP with the Porsche????

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yep a super lame box of postcards and a credit card wallet. I just put the box behind the Porsche, it kinda looks ok as a backdrop.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Where is my drat Porsche?

I ordered it a week ago and it shipped like 5 days ago but the tracking just has ‘Created’ with a local freight forwarding company. If I check through the Lego website it tells me the tracking info is unavailable.

:argh:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Leaked dragon!

Simu Liu lookin good

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Leaked dragon!

Not your best job with the organic shaping, LEGO.

Streaming in ~20 minutes. Also it's my birthday!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are all those Shang Chi minifigs light nougat? The whole cast is Asian ffs. As an avowed SJW I'm gonna be bummed if so. More flesh tones please.

Edit: Happy birthday dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

w00tazn posted:

Did you actually open a CSR ticket? The store might have just had a gently caress up and removed it from your order but they still have stock and will fedex you the GWP anyway.

(Happened for my blacksmith)

Was there even a GWP with the Porsche????

The GWP for me at that point was still the ice skating rink. To be honest I didn't contact anybody since I already have one of those and even if I didn't I still don't care enough about it to bother. I would be a whole lot more upset about it if it were the Amelia Earhart GWP that this happened with (well, we'll see how that one goes in a few days lol). I was more posting this as yet another crappy thing that can happen on the Lego online store when you least expect it more or less.

I didn't even know there was a special GWP for Porsche--must have gone out of stock already by the time I ordered mine!