Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
kinda wonder how the show will thread the needle with whatever happens to Billy and Tommy, having them come back into the real world with Wanda kinda feels like it'd be rewarding her for her actions, but it would be too much of a tease for Marvel to pull a Byrne and have them cease to exist at the end of the show (also too dark given how much Wanda has already been put through the wringer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Whatever Agatha's final deal is, I just want things to end up with her sticking around the MCU. I want as much of Hahn in this role as possible, good God was this role made for her.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

having them come back into the real world with Wanda kinda feels like it'd be rewarding her for her actions

You say that like she should be punished for having an uncontrolled and apparently unintentional magical grief explosion.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

kinda wonder how the show will thread the needle with whatever happens to Billy and Tommy, having them come back into the real world with Wanda kinda feels like it'd be rewarding her for her actions, but it would be too much of a tease for Marvel to pull a Byrne and have them cease to exist at the end of the show (also too dark given how much Wanda has already been put through the wringer)

Doesn't seem like the show thinks Wanda's done anything wrong. She created the Hex on accident, didn't know what was going on and it seems to suggest that Agatha's the one who was keeping the town under control.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

live with fruit posted:

Doesn't seem like the show thinks Wanda's done anything wrong. She created the Hex on accident, didn't know what was going on and it seems to suggest that Agatha's the one who was keeping the town under control.

Not quite, Agatha was amazed that Wanda could have control of people on the edge of town, right?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Ror posted:

OK I'm a terrible person because I burst out laughing when Wanda's family blew up during TV night, but in my defense it reminded me of this

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1208174810066350080

An Ounce of Courage right? Still my fav cinema snob episode to watch here and there.

They make a secular non denominational pageant about aliens and hijack it with footage of kids dead father filming before he gets blown the gently caress up to show the TRUE meaning of Christmas. :allears:

Anyway, loving all the ideas being brought forth.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Not quite, Agatha was amazed that Wanda could have control of people on the edge of town, right?

In that case, Norm's freak out doesn't look good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I 100% forgot that Hahn also did Doc Oc in Spiderverse

They'd better keep Agatha around forever

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Such a good episode. My only objection is the scene with Wanda and Vision sitting on her bed and talking about their feelings in comfy clothes is going to validate fanfic writers.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

For those curious about the dates:august 23rd was the Harts dinner. The one in episode seventh was just the 10th, i dont believe there was a month.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Such a good episode. My only objection is the scene with Wanda and Vision sitting on her bed and talking about their feelings in comfy clothes is going to validate fanfic writers.

The fanfic that Wanda and Vision were a couple...?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Well... no. Agatha has occasionally influenced specific people/situations, but Wanda's been the one keeping people in "sitcom world." Also, Wanda has taken multiple deliberate actions to preserve, maintain and expand the Hex. So even if she didn't mean to start it, Wanda absolutely wanted to keep it going.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

double negative posted:

if the actor bettany wanted to act with for so long was himself that's funny as poo poo

still spent the majority of the episode wanting to revisit monica and (fake) pietro

Man, if he reveals he was trolling everyone by giving that answer, I'll really appreciate him livening up the usual press tour by doing that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

stev posted:

You say that like she should be punished for having an uncontrolled and apparently unintentional magical grief explosion.
The continued enslavement and torture of a populace is not unintentional at this point.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

stev posted:

Funny part is that a lot of fanfic and fanart writers werent even interested in the couple before Wandavision. That dull those characters were written back then.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
so, do all the stones have a (colour) witch? Agathas mommy had the blue horns/crown wanda has the red horns/crown, I'm assuming Agatha will manifest purple ones sooner or later

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Argue posted:

They announced nine but some people are speculating on a "secret" tenth episode, especially after the Disney Plus UK Twitter just tweeted that episode 8 is live and there are two eps left.

Oh great, I'm getting flashbacks to the whole secret Sherlock episode that would actually make the series good conspiracy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A surprise episode out of nowhere would be a lot of fun. Make episode 9 a big cliffhanger, or have it seem like it wraps things up, then put up a 10th episode completely unannounced the next day. The media blitz about it will be better advertising than anything else you'd normally do, and it's a good way to do a TV version of the post-credits surprise that's served Marvel well many times.

It seems like a no-brainer positive move to make with one of the shows that's based on a huge property (Star Wars or Marvel) at some point, and when you run your own streaming service you can do stuff like that whenever you want and not piss off advertisers or TV execs or anything.

I guess the only risk is once you do it once people will want you to do it more often, or even all the time, and be disappointed when you announce 8 episodes or whatever down the line and only give them what you said you were going to.

Still, this seems like the type of Marvel show to do that with, if you're going to do it with any. The show already has me really excited to see what they do with Wanda in the future, and I can easily picture her getting her own solo movie down the line, or just continuing to headline fun streaming series. They've done a lot to build up her character now, so I'm very on board with seeing more of her.

Oh, and the subversion of the Salem Witch Trials at the start was pretty cute.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 26, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LongDarkNight posted:

Who the gently caress works for SWORD and drives a PT Cruiser.

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stev posted:

No that part. the part about superhumans sitting around crying about their feelings like it’s goddam Steven Universe

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

No that part. the part about superhumans sitting around crying about their feelings like it’s goddam Steven Universe

wait why is this bad?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Marsupial Ape posted:

That sure is a take. Did you watch a CW cape show by mistake or something?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

aBagorn posted:

wait why is this bad?

Because there’s no crying in baseball!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

You suck

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I saw that the license plate on Wanda's car said "Excelsior" underneath the plate number, which I thought was another clever Stan Lee nod, since that was one of his catchphrases.

But then I checked, and some NY license plates starting in 2020 do just have that on them as a motto in real life. Looking further, that motto was chosen in late 2019, and may have actually been a reference to Stan's catchprase all along, since so much of his work was so iconic to New York. At this point, it's either an Inception-level license-plate gag, or a complete coincidence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
To be fair, there are episodes of the CW shows that literally let the villains escape because the team decides that now its the best time to bring up that Oliver has been the one stealing everyones desserts from the work fridge.

But the MCU has never done that.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

NowonSA posted:

A surprise episode out of nowhere would be a lot of fun. Make episode 9 a big cliffhanger, or have it seem like it wraps things up, then put up a 10th episode completely unannounced the next day. The media blitz about it will be better advertising than anything else you'd normally do, and it's a good way to do a TV version of the post-credits surprise that's served Marvel well many times.

It seems like a no-brainer positive move to make with one of the shows that's based on a huge property (Star Wars or Marvel) at some point, and when you run your own streaming service you can do stuff like that whenever you want and not piss off advertisers or TV execs or anything.

I guess the only risk is once you do it once people will want you to do it more often, or even all the time, and be disappointed when you announce 8 episodes or whatever down the line and only give them what you said you were going to.

Still, this seems like the type of Marvel show to do that with, if you're going to do it with any. The show already has me really excited to see what they do with Wanda in the future, and I can easily picture her getting her own solo movie down the line, or just continuing to headline fun streaming series. They've done a lot to build up her character now, so I'm very on board with seeing more of her.

Oh, and the subversion of the Salem Witch Trials at the start was pretty cute.

This is like when a musician puts out an album and everyone online convinces themselves that it's got a bunch of hidden messages about a secret second second sister album that's ready to drop the next day or next week or whatever. This has, as far as I'm aware, never actually happened

They can make the episodes as long as they want; why would they need to do a surprise bonus episode

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This one clocked in at like 43 minutes with credits, they don't seem to be worried about hitting 22/44 minute standards.

Speculation below given the episode

Agatha in the comics was more of a mentor figure so they'll probably pull a scene where she tries to pull the power can't or have some weird prophecy sideline where she turns into that mentor role... The kids on ropes though kind of hits that aside though.

As for the director 3 B of vibranium will make a man do a lot of things. But he's probably some weird other villain.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, there are episodes of the CW shows that literally let the villains escape because the team decides that now its the best time to bring up that Oliver has been the one stealing everyones desserts from the work fridge.

But the MCU has never done that.

That cheese cake slice was clearly labeled

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

live with fruit posted:

Yeah, I'm with this. The show has bent over backwards (this latest episode being the most obvious demonstration of that) to shield Wanda from culpability. The Hex wasn't really her fault so much as an uncontrollable manifestation of her grief. Wanda hasn't meant to cause anyone in the Hex pain and is in denial that she's the cause. Any additional pain is the result of Agatha's manipulation. If SWORD were a little more understanding and less megalomaniacal, this would have been resolved peacefully.

It all rings a bit... hollow. I'm not sure I needed an episode explaining each and every tragic element of Wanda's backstory so much as an accounting of what she's done.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm curious how long they're going to push this Agatha thing. With what within the series itself alluding that Wanda could have been able to take it up with Thanos, I suppose that the initial confusion of the whole situation is a reason of being powerless over this jealous witch, but I sure hope it doesn't get dragged out in the second season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm curious how long they're going to push this Agatha thing. With what within the series itself alluding that Wanda could have been able to take it up with Thanos, I suppose that the initial confusion of the whole situation is a reason of being powerless over this jealous witch, but I sure hope it doesn't get dragged out in the second season.

I'm not even going to spoil this, but as of now there are no plans for a second season. Whatever strings are left at the end of this season are being carried on in the next Dr Strange and Spider-Man movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I was going to engage with this post in a serious manner but uh just lmao look at this dumb loving toxic rear end take

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

apatheticman posted:

This one clocked in at like 43 minutes with credits, they don't seem to be worried about hitting 22/44 minute standards.

Speculation below given the episode

Agatha in the comics was more of a mentor figure so they'll probably pull a scene where she tries to pull the power can't or have some weird prophecy sideline where she turns into that mentor role... The kids on ropes though kind of hits that aside though.

As for the director 3 B of vibranium will make a man do a lot of things. But he's probably some weird other villain.

Well, Agatha kind of spent the episode mentoring Wanda in terms of exploring Wanda's past and helping Wanda figure how just who and what she actually is. It's wasn't nice or kind mentoring, but it was still mentoring of a kind. As for the kids (and Sparky and that bird/bug those beings are essentially just upjumped figments of Wanda's imagination as far as Agatha is concerned.

Plus it was also interesting watching Wanda drive through "pre-WandaVision" Westview and see "Herb," "Phil" and "Mrs. Hart" walking around looking kind of depressed and hopeless in their depressed, hopeless town. You can grasp how Wanda can justify to herself how what she's doing is good even when it's clearly not.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Plus Agatha let Wanda out of rune-covered basement so now there's really nothing stopping Wanda from kicking her rear end. Unless that was by design.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
That was awful. What the gently caress.

At least the first three episodes committed to the bit. This is just terrible retconning to patch up bad storytelling.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, I'm with this. The show has bent over backwards (this latest episode being the most obvious demonstration of that) to shield Wanda from culpability. The Hex wasn't really her fault so much as an uncontrollable manifestation of her grief. Wanda hasn't meant to cause anyone in the Hex pain and is in denial that she's the cause. Any additional pain is the result of Agatha's manipulation. If SWORD were a little more understanding and less megalomaniacal, this would have been resolved peacefully.

I can't say as I agree that's true, because while Wanda didn't intend to set up the hex, she's clearly happy to manipulate anyone within it to suit her own purposes, as well as expand the hex and deny external help. She's not a villain in any normal comics sense of the word, but she definitely has some moral responsibility for what's transpired and has absolutely known that she's doing something bad, because Vision and Monica at the very least pointed it out and Wanda has just ignored her when confronted with that.

live with fruit posted:

Plus Agatha let Wanda out of rune-covered basement so now there's really nothing stopping Wanda from kicking her rear end. Unless that was by design.

I imagine that's why Agatha is holding the kids hostage. Wanda has to talk with her now, whatever Agatha wants, and can't just crush her in some fashion or ignore her. She has to deal with Agatha up front for the moment.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

tsob posted:

I can't say as I agree that's true, because while Wanda didn't intend to set up the hex, she's clearly happy to manipulate anyone within it to suit her own purposes, as well as expand the hex and deny external help. She's not a villain in any normal comics sense of the word, but she definitely has some moral responsibility for what's transpired and has absolutely known that she's doing something bad, because Vision and Monica at the very least pointed it out and Wanda has just ignored her when confronted with that.

I imagine that's why Agatha is holding the kids hostage. Wanda has to talk with her now, whatever Agatha wants, and can't just crush her in some fashion or ignore her. She has to deal with Agatha up front for the moment.

Logically, yes, Wanda should be held morally responsible. Still, each scene in this episode seemed to introduce a new excuse for her actions and a new reason why the viewer should hate and distrust her enemies.

I'm doubtful that the series will end with anything but a small slap on the wrist for Wanda.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

QuoProQuid posted:

Logically, yes, Wanda should be held morally responsible. Still, each scene in this episode seemed to introduce a new excuse for her actions and a new reason why the viewer should hate and distrust her enemies.

I'm doubtful that the series will end with anything but a small slap on the wrist for Wanda.

It's been pretty clear from early on that Wanda did it out of grief, and that while she was in control it was her pain that was guiding her actions. I'm not really sure what you think should be an appropriate punishment for someone lashing out at the world because they've been hurt repeatedly, really. Even if Wanda had gone in to this driven as much by anger as sorrow, had made a deal with the devil to set the hex up at the cost of everyone else in Westview's lives etc. I don't think a prison sentence or any other kind of punishment is an appropriate narrative or social cost to the character. If she'd been entirely complicit I could see having Vision turn away from her despite living as an appropriate cost, but therapy, help and training has always seemed like it's going to be the most reasonable outcome honestly, rather than any kind of punitive measure. Society might distrust her, depending how much is known or revealed after this (Strange or someone might magic some of the issues away for instance and Wanda was known before this for manipulating memory), the people of Westview almost certainly will if things aren't setup to stop them remembering it all, but I don't think most Avengers will; especially guys like Clint who had trouble dealing with grief himself.

That said, I can see both Wanda and Vision retiring from active duty after this to enjoy the life they wanted and raise the two kids, assuming they survive outside the hex. Wanda would still presumably train enough with Strange that her magic would no longer be as chaotic, but not actually actively fighting most threats until something like Thanos comes up.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

QuoProQuid posted:

So, where and how hard should the grieving, depressed, desperately lonely super-woman be slapped after all of this?

I mean, is it at least possible that punishment is not the answer here?