Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here is how boring CMLL has been:

I watched 5 hours per week before the pandemic and some weeks more if the Tuesday show was good or a weekend match was worth tracking down.

I watched the first empty arena show and have not watched anything since.

If things return to normal after the pandemic I am really going to have to make some changes since I can't do Puebla, Dark, Dynamite and Arena Mexico in one week plus this other AEW content. I could barely do Puebla, Dynamite and Arena Mexico!

Edit: This is the worst tweet and audio and probably podcast on the internet.

https://twitter.com/sriramk/status/1365165677871439873

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CMLL is not worse than WWE, no wrestling company in history is right now. WWE right now is the worst professional wrestling has ever been. The thunderdome is terrible, the show is boring, the stories are non existent. If there had been a promotion that accidentally killed an arena of thousands of people by an exploding gasline that trapped the audience and performers to their deaths it would at least be able to draw the emotions fear, sadness, and be historical. WWE is worse than that, it's a monumental waste of human resources and the most valuable of all assets, time. I'm not sure any company will ever be able to reach the depths 2020 WWE did because you need the perfect storm of contempt for the audience, the medium, an inability to fail or face consequences and a creative at the helm that is so anti-creativity and humanity that it could produce this placid, emotionless, depthless puddle that only exists so Vince McMahon can see his own face in it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I don't think I've seen a poster more dramatically change than EMF in my entire life, and I've been on here since 05.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eat my fuc is right

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

CMLL has been pretty bad but the WWE has the Fiend and that should lock up all the worst awards for every year going forward

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

EMF has become joker Sting

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cubsfan just wants to see lucha promotions get some recognition even if it's recognition for sucking, and I get that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At some point WWE shouldn't count because I dunno, it's so bad and boring and why is anyone watching the show?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

How would you even make a worse show than WWE? If you have worse wrestlers, I actually won't hate the show as much because my expectations will be lower.

talent wise, the top and midcard is very very good, the lower prelim guys are usually trainees or people who just dgaf

so CMLL tends to have a fairly rigid show format and storyline schedule where they will really work at building angles for one of their really big shows (usually dos leyendas or anniversarios) which usually come off the back of their tournaments

nothing really ever happens in the middle of them so match quality can suffer at times because the workers just plain get loving bored and upward movement on the card is somehow both random and nonexistent (not that it doesn't happen, but it happens a whole lot less then youd think for a promotion which has a lot of old aging talebt)0

but also for the times they are actively working angles, it also means that the time difference in start and payoff dates, plus show format means that progress is glacial and it feels like nothing happened and generally it also means you get a bunch of gently caress finishes in 3 fall matches including ones where the rudos just get dq'd in straight falls so emotional investment starts becoming meaningless

titles exist but are basically meaningless

also the referees can and will go into business for themselves and totally just gently caress with matches and finishes because they get bored and want to be more noticed.

also like the only time you really actually pop the crowd in CMLL by say brawling and picking up a trashcan will get you canned from the promotion

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

At some point WWE shouldn't count because I dunno, it's so bad and boring and why is anyone watching the show?

there are people who are emotionally invested in the brand regardless of the product due to forming some kind of sick parasocial relationship with vince mcmahon leading them to defend the indefensible on a regular basis.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

talent wise, the top and midcard is very very good, the lower prelim guys are usually trainees or people who just dgaf

so CMLL tends to have a fairly rigid show format and storyline schedule where they will really work at building angles for one of their really big shows (usually dos leyendas or anniversarios) which usually come off the back of their tournaments

nothing really ever happens in the middle of them so match quality can suffer at times because the workers just plain get loving bored and upward movement on the card is somehow both random and nonexistent (not that it doesn't happen, but it happens a whole lot less then youd think for a promotion which has a lot of old aging talebt)0

but also for the times they are actively working angles, it also means that the time difference in start and payoff dates, plus show format means that progress is glacial and it feels like nothing happened and generally it also means you get a bunch of gently caress finishes in 3 fall matches including ones where the rudos just get dq'd in straight falls so emotional investment starts becoming meaningless

also the referees can and will go into business for themselves and totally just gently caress with matches and finishes because they get bored and want to be more noticed.

also like the only time you really actually pop the crowd in CMLL by say brawling and picking up a trashcan will get you canned from the promotion

Almost none of this is the reason CMLL sucked last year and some of it isn't even true anymore.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Almost none of this is the reason CMLL sucked last year and some of it isn't even true anymore.

yeah, the wrestlers and promotion gave up trying to due to COVID and no audiences instead of the usual bullshit

I mean CMLL has had problems going on for much longer than just 2020, no one tends to realize it because theres a focus on American promotions and international promotions not named New Japan tend to fly under the radar.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 26, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

That kinda sounds like WWE, except that the fed also has the most talented roster ever on paper and more money than god to throw around.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pinche Rudo posted:

EMF has become joker Sting

We live in a wrestling society x

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

That kinda sounds like WWE, except that the fed also has the most talented roster ever on paper and more money than god to throw around.

CMLL has some really fantastic talent at the top and also gets some really great talent from their partners like Matt Taven or Hiromu Takashi. Plus they do bring in some really great freelancers as well.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

also gets some really great talent from their partners like Matt Taven

please don't troll

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

We live in a wrestling society x

:golfclap:

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I haven't gotten to the end yet but having TK on, as much as I like him, does feel a bit weird to me for the awards show. I was just listening in my car and they're talking about 5* TV matches in recent memory and I'm just thinking "I was literally at the first one he did in the modern era not even three years ago but because it happened in NXT they're just completely blanking on it." Not that I think it probably holds up as a 5* match if you watched it on TV but it was incredible in the building. Or hearing him rave about how the AEW teams were somehow UNDERRATED and how great FTR is even though Tekkers clearly got loving jobbed coming in fourth, so on and so on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tony should receive comprehensive media training but its usually interesting that he hasnt

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Mob posted:

please don't troll

Matt Taven is so big he even has his own podcast

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

tony should receive comprehensive media training but its usually interesting that he hasnt

He does a pretty good job of staying on point, and my guess is that it's an intentional decision for him to have this type of public profile.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i have no interest in hearing the son of a billionaire talk about anything

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

cool

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

drat...

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I’ll listen to anyone reminisce about old DVDVR threads

Feel free to send me any recording you may have of such things

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I like Tony enough I don't have a problem with him but having the entire awards show be forced to dance around criticism is weird. Also, every time I see him ge reminds of a certain beloved NY DSA wrestlefan and occasional PSPoster.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

I don't think I've seen a poster more dramatically change than EMF in my entire life, and I've been on here since 05.

They are legend

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wish they had Bray Wyatt on to talk about all his award victories instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I haven't gotten to the end yet but having TK on, as much as I like him, does feel a bit weird to me for the awards show. I was just listening in my car and they're talking about 5* TV matches in recent memory and I'm just thinking "I was literally at the first one he did in the modern era not even three years ago but because it happened in NXT they're just completely blanking on it." Not that I think it probably holds up as a 5* match if you watched it on TV but it was incredible in the building. Or hearing him rave about how the AEW teams were somehow UNDERRATED and how great FTR is even though Tekkers clearly got loving jobbed coming in fourth, so on and so on.

I'll be honest, I had no idea there was an NXT TV 5 snowflake match, suspect they can be forgiven for forgetting it.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i have no interest in hearing the son of a billionaire talk about anything

I thought I didn't but it turns out that his enthusiasm & excitement & passion is incredibly endearing to listen to.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SLUM KING posted:

I’ll listen to anyone reminisce about old DVDVR threads

Feel free to send me any recording you may have of such things

I enjoyed getting banned after posting 15 one word topics to spell a sentence I can't even remember

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can never get enough eYada lore.
https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1365405850832142336

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

James then called into other eyada shows complaining about Dave before the Self Help Show intervened.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

James then called into other eyada shows complaining about Dave before the Self Help Show intervened.
And that is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojsAuls038

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alex From Puerto Rico was legitimately much worse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I called Vince McMahon's office and he hasn't returned my calls" :stonklol:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

MassRafTer posted:

Alex From Puerto Rico was legitimately much worse.

James from Kentucky is a bad movie that is unintentionally hilarious.
Alex from Puerto Rico is a bad movie that is just long and boring.
To be fair, a guy calling from a crappy pay phone to give match results from a show no one saw or cares about is funny in concept. You just don't need to listen to it for more than a minute unless you really think long, boring monologues are hilarious.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gah! who let the poster out of the retirement home?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

beepo posted:

James from Kentucky is a bad movie that is unintentionally hilarious.
Alex from Puerto Rico is a bad movie that is just long and boring.
To be fair, a guy calling from a crappy pay phone to give match results from a show no one saw or cares about is funny in concept. You just don't need to listen to it for more than a minute unless you really think long, boring monologues are hilarious.

And then there is the forgotten legend Curtis who heard about the show in WOW Magazine (but doesn't listen or know what station it is on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lid posted:

He turned face to me with the Adam Cole megazord post