Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

papa horny michael posted:

The parliamentarian is an advisor, and what they say at any time is not law, or a meaningful rule. The senate parliamentarian is nothing at all but a justification being used by biden and the democratic party at large to not raise the minimum wage. That's it.

yeah, they don't want to force Sinema or Manchin to take a vote which might embarrass them and this is more important to the democrat party than helping poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hahaha, check out the story above the parlimentarian paragraph. RBG talking about her colon cancer

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh no this year is baneification

Atrocious Joe posted:

the triumph of neoliberalism is that there are now millions of people in the West who think opposing political power is a progressive goal.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexjs85/status/1337512331878801413?s=20

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1365380893657939972

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I paid the legal maximum to this campaign out of the money I got from my mom dying of cancer because she was uninsured ahahahha gently caress me

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

https://twitter.com/JennieTetreault/status/1365137105718943745?s=19

800 liberals liked a post likening migrant kids to feral cats

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

*puts on lib hat* she was right

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Cspam mods when hau comes in to post dumb bullshit :tootzzz:

Cspam mods when someone posts weird food :blastu:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bedpan posted:

hahaha, check out the story above the parlimentarian paragraph. RBG talking about her colon cancer

she was a walking tumor. rip in piss you human teratoma.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

i keep seeing democrat defenders saying there’s nothing the party can do to manchin/sinema to get them in line because theyre in safe seats, apparently. i dont know how to interpret this except as basically putting the blame on voters in WV/AZ for the government’s fecklessness

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Question: at any given point in time how many Liebermans does the Democratic party have?

Answer: exactly as many as they need.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

misadventurous posted:

i keep seeing democrat defenders saying there’s nothing the party can do to manchin/sinema to get them in line because theyre in safe seats, apparently. i dont know how to interpret this except as basically putting the blame on voters in WV/AZ for the government’s fecklessness

any excuse that lets them shrug and go "well what can ya do"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/VOCofWNY/status/1365359560907755522

Where the gently caress is my $2000

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the sullivans is still afloat?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Shipon posted:

I paid the legal maximum to this campaign out of the money I got from my mom dying of cancer because she was uninsured ahahahha gently caress me

sorry buddy ☹️

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's well known that the roman empire was greatly strengthened by being unable to pay its soldiers and heralded the beginning of its golden age

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

it's well known that the roman empire was greatly strengthened by being unable to pay its soldiers and heralded the beginning of its golden age

its a ww2 relic

also why are these museum ships never drydocked permanently. digging a trench near the museum building surely can't be more expensive than trying to keep them afloat

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its a ww2 relic

also why are these museum ships never drydocked permanently. digging a trench near the museum building surely can't be more expensive than trying to keep them afloat

"wee I'm on a boat take my $20 this is so fun" is the whole experience

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its a ww2 relic

make work program for veterans

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

A fair request

Forums poster How are u, you don't seem like a particularly bad person, just very depressed and desperate to latch on to something. Your criticisms of Evo are toothless and vague, and you don't even have the strength of convictions to say that they justify the coup. Your heart isn't really in it. You seem like you are in dire need of a new ethos. Might I suggest devoting yourself to opposing capital in all its forms and in every avenue? Failing that, please stop vacillating about Bolivia because you're harshing my vibe

Sure. I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work while Evo was trying to get his constituional amendment passed to let him do the extra term. Bolivians were talking about it constantly, and there were very mixed feelings. Undoubtedly the guy has done immense good for Bolivia, but people were really wary about his growing authoritarian tendency.

This was in cocha, not santa cruz or something. working people and students.

I thought Evo was loving great for a long time. But he's a man, and men are fallible, and we shouldn't put men on pedestals. I don't think the coup was right or justified, but i also don't think evo was justified in grabbing for more power pre-coup rather than stepping aside and enthusiastically supporting a good successor.

I'm enormously glad that the coup failed and that the people of Bolivia still have a democratic government.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bideo James posted:

make work program for veterans

they can dig the trench

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

libs gatekeeping TERF lol

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they can dig the trench

force them to

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1365377123633004544?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

he fought drat hard to keep the nomination away from bernie sanders. the barest notion of social democracy is entirely too much for Obama.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What a moron.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

this guy loving sucks!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

How are u posted:

Sure. I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work while Evo was trying to get his constituional amendment passed to let him do the extra term. Bolivians were talking about it constantly, and there were very mixed feelings. Undoubtedly the guy has done immense good for Bolivia, but people were really wary about his growing authoritarian tendency.

I thought Evo was loving great for a long time. But he's a man, and men are fallible, and we shouldn't put men on pedestals. I don't think the coup was right or justified, but i also don't think evo was justified in grabbing for more power pre-coup rather than stepping aside and enthusiastically supporting a good successor.

I'm enormously glad that the coup failed and that the people of Bolivia still have a democratic government.

the authoritarian tendency of "being really popular and winning multiple elections"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

How are u posted:

Sure. I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He just was meeting with local leaders in Boliviland. Like Mayor Pete.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

lol yes, why would anybody leave the us of a otherwise right?

:jerkbag:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

what authoritarian tendencies does evo have

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
if anything that outlines more how he felt about not tarnishing his legacy by endorsing any candidate. And with warren eventually knifing Bernard, it could simply be that same strategy. prop warren up so as to attack the guy who would have won.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its a ww2 relic

lol even better

How are u posted:

"the people there were absolutely totally in agreement with me. they were all working people and students, too! the fact that, you know, morales was working entirely within the courts and legal system and conclusively won the election, which might imply that actually maybe people weren't 'talking about it constantly' and had 'mixed feelings' about my vague assertions? nah, that has no bearing on my claims, of course!"

or there's, idk, the whole thing where bloomberg literally did forcibly extend his term limit as mayor. weirdly, I didn't hear my fellow new yorkers mumbling about coups!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

im sure that the open nazis would just have been totally ok with evo's handpicked successor and not done the exact same thing they ended up doing. also its still cool that you're here being all "well he was no angel", except it's not and you should gently caress off and take your horseshit with you

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what authoritarian tendencies does evo have

Trumpian, via Machismo Strong-man tactics. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Obama paused for a moment, collecting himself before shocking the audience with the singular message that he had wanted to deliver. He embraced the prospect of a Warren presidency. After nearly eleven months of campaigning, the race looked like it had stabilized with four truly competitive candidates: Joe, Bernie, Elizabeth, and Pete. Each had a claim to the advantage; no one was a prohibitive favorite. Until the past week or two, though, Warren had been rising steadily. The biggest obstacle to her success, it seemed, was convincing the establishment that she was truly different from Bernie, enough of a mainstream politician to be trusted with the reins of government. Now Obama was making that case for her.

quote:

Obama paused again, before making his final appeal, squarely addressing the elephant in the room, in a tone that was half- ribbing and half- reprimanding. “So what if she raises your taxes a little bit? Compare that to what we have now.” This was definitely not a time to sit on the sidelines, Obama said with some urgency. If Warren won the nomination, he said he would support her and stressed that he wanted Wall Street and corporate types to do the same. “Everyone in this room needs to pull their weight,” he said. Republicans, he continued, are winning cycle after cycle, up and down the ballot, because their donors care more than the Democrats’ donors.

quote:

Like so many other Democrats, he saw Warren, who had taken the lead in Iowa from Biden in late September, barreling toward the nomination. It was time to start swinging folks in his coalition behind her. The persuasion effort among Black men would be as difficult as it was crucial. Hillary’s loss could be attributed in part to insufficient support among Black men in major cities, and she had never had the support of elite Black men that she had among Black women. Things would have to be different for Warren. She would need the votes of Black men on the ground and the money of Black men in boardrooms— especially because she had forsworn buckraking with wealthy donors.