Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

how does this compare to current Conan Exiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I have no idea how to get my honey going, found one queen bee by doing the disassemble trick someone here mentioned , but the hive remains empty. That being said, it's hilarious that entrails from undead are used to make these incredible sausages. These draugr hit HARD vs my troll/wood shield so right now I'm just sniping them from meadows

if you built your hive and it's empty, when you try to use it it should say "the bees are happy/sleeping" (will make honey) or "the bees need more space" (will never make honey, disassemble and rebuild it somewhere farther away from walls)

you also CANNOT put it on a building (i.e. flooring) no matter how open it is. has to be placed on dirt far enough away from any structure (which is not much space at all). kind of annoying. e: turns out it's only stone flooring that's bugged, wood stuff + stone walls are fine for placing beehives on

here's my layout for an example of how close you can get them to walls/workshop benches:

you can maybe space em even closer but it's more than enough, all of them produce honey

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 26, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Trip report.

I woke up naked. I put on a shirt and picked up sticks and rocks until I figured out how to tie a rock to a stick. Then I discovered fire and was warm. I lashed wood together to build a lean-to so my workbench would have cover from the rain. I was killed by a herd of boars. Then I discovered flint and tied a piece of flint to a stick and made a spear. A deer was nearby so I killed it and got it's head as a trophy. I left the meat on the fire too long and ended up with some coal, which I used to make a sign informing the world that this is MY house. Then I chopped down a tree and the tree rolled into my house.

End report.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Livin the dream

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The main thing keeping me from getting into this is the travel times

Super restricted carry capacity, no fast travel, and a massive map means I spend far and away more time walking than doing anything else

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

In this game you make your own fast travel. Its fun to make a sort of portal nexus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Build portals for fast travel. Get the belt from vendor for more heavy lifting. Other than a massive amount of ore you likely will just fill your inventory with garbage anyway. 3 stacks of food and equipment leaves you with plenty of room for the dumb nonsense. If it’s too much just haul it to a chest next to your portals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Embrace the outpost design pattern, instead of walking ore back to your base just smelt it and make poo poo on site. I know we all want to have that amazing home base with world class architecture and every possible convenience and upgrade, but everything about this game pushes you towards remaking bases constantly.

You CAN ferry stuff somewhat efficiently once you have the longboat but you're gonna spend a lot of your time fighting the winds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's also nice to throw down a new base and start from scratch now and then. You can only really improve your old ugly base so much without tearing it all down, and why do that when you can just start over in a currently more useful spot.

However, I do have a certain temptation to connect all of my bases via a road or weird chutes perhaps. Making land bridges between islands is also fun.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

rap music posted:

The main thing keeping me from getting into this is the travel times

Super restricted carry capacity, no fast travel, and a massive map means I spend far and away more time walking than doing anything else

If you have limited time but still want to play and progress, there is a way to exploit your ore back to base by using a second world as an intermediate drop spot to transfer things. You can also enable cheats and use console commands to fly or spawn items if you prefer. I'm sticking to boat travel, but I used cheats to respawn my longboat when it mysteriously disappeared from my dock. If something else glitches out and doesn't return valuable materials, I'll probably spawn the difference back in via the console too. At the end of the day it's your choice if you want to cut corners.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would kill for a few additional quickbar spaces. I'd like to have club, shield, bow, spear, hammer, axe, pick, and 3 stacks of food all close to hand, but instead I keep the weapons and some food handy and shuffle the other tools depending on what I'm doing, open the inventory to eat honey, etc.. It's pretty goddamn minor though... I'm still sneaking 30 minutes in the game over lunch and such.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you also CANNOT put it on a building (i.e. flooring) no matter how open it is. has to be placed on dirt far enough away from any structure (which is not much space at all). kind of annoying.

Unless this was patched in, it's not true.
The bees in my old base were on a floating platform about a half-unit from the fence.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you also CANNOT put it on a building (i.e. flooring) no matter how open it is. has to be placed on dirt far enough away from any structure (which is not much space at all). kind of annoying.

They can be placed on the sides of buildings and still function. Here's mine:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would kill for a few additional quickbar spaces. I'd like to have club, shield, bow, spear, hammer, axe, pick, and 3 stacks of food all close to hand, but instead I keep the weapons and some food handy and shuffle the other tools depending on what I'm doing, open the inventory to eat honey, etc.. It's pretty goddamn minor though... I'm still sneaking 30 minutes in the game over lunch and such.

Only problem with that is quickbar spaces are also inventory spaces. The devs would need to decouple those functions like the Factorio devs did.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would at least like 9 and 0 lol. My issue is I want to keep at least one slot open for "Free space" for when I want to have a torch there, or something else I only contextually need on my bar.

Food I'd recommend just stuffing in your inventory corner with your armor and stuff. No real reason to have it on hotbar, just pop open menu while running and right click the food and keep going.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Ambaire posted:

They can be placed on the sides of buildings and still function. Here's mine:

must be stone-specific:

e: yep that's what it is, you can't place on stone flooring. stone walls are fine. must be a bug

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Xaris posted:

Is there some trick to stop enemies from spawning inside your base? I'm trying to do a barley/flax farm outside and i've used the cultivate tool on every single sq ft, i've literred hte entire area inside and a perimeter
outside with workshops, and i have a big perimeter of walls plus stumpy pole-logs, but every night I still get fullings spawning inside and just killing my poo poo. Do I need beds or something?

The workbench radius stops spawning. Make sure the entire inside of the base is covered by them and you wont have any spawns. We usually have a circle of them around the perimeter of our bases with a few inside for complete coverage.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ClassH posted:

The workbench radius stops spawning. Make sure the entire inside of the base is covered by them and you wont have any spawns. We usually have a circle of them around the perimeter of our bases with a few inside for complete coverage.

I'm sure modding will take care of this if the devs don't, but I'd love it if trophies on item placards had this effect, and/or have wooden carvings that do it. The former is a cool not to be hosed with element warning off baddies, and the wooden totem type carvings would just be cool and useful. Certainly better than a landscape littered with drat benches.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ClassH posted:

I've tried that. I have a ton of them inside and outside, probably about 30+ workbenches between perimeter and inside. but without fail every night some Fulings just spawn into the middle somewhere. Maybe its because I took over an old Fulling Village that I cleared out and they have some sort of fixed spawns in it?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

a deathquito spawned inside my small plains workshop and died from smoke inhalation

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CRAYON posted:

a deathquito spawned inside my small plains workshop and died from smoke inhalation

This rules, I never considered smoke might hurt enemies too.

Does anyone know if the Trader has a runestone that marks him on the map like bosses? Feels like something that might be an intuitive solution to the random spawning, but I found my solo world trader within like an hour of playing and am only doing the search for the first time on a multiplayer world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

Does anyone know if the Trader has a runestone that marks him on the map like bosses? Feels like something that might be an intuitive solution to the random spawning, but I found my solo world trader within like an hour of playing and am only doing the search for the first time on a multiplayer world.

Yes, and you can see the icon from somewhat far away. You'll see the icon long before you see him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No, no runestone, but as the above poster said, you can see him from miles away.

I bet it's something they will add though, enough people have been requesting it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Sab Sabbington posted:

I've seen a death pit build where someone dug a hole and built a structure around one of the bramble greydwarf spawners, then they filled the hole with fires so when they spawn they just slowly die from the smoke and fire. Not sure why you would ever need to farm the tree people like that but it's pretty funny.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

need to farm the tree people like that

Uh. They're not tree people. They're horrifying abominations. Have you not found one of their lore tablets yet? Suffice to say, killing them is Good.

Also, lots of free wood, stone and resin.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

i guess i havent but i just assumed we were the bad guys

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

Greydwarfs are pretty bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CRAYON posted:

Yeah I got the distinct impression whoever brought us into this afterlife did so to try and gently caress it all up using us as tools.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The steam store page is pretty upfront that you've been placed in viking purgatory by Odin to clean his enemies out of the place.

So I guess whether you think we're evil or not depends on your opinion of Odin.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

seems like a nice enough feller

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ambaire posted:

Greydwarfs are pretty bad.

Can we really trust the nameless author (it's Odin) of those giant stone tablets though?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I'm sure modding will take care of this if the devs don't, but I'd love it if trophies on item placards had this effect, and/or have wooden carvings that do it. The former is a cool not to be hosed with element warning off baddies, and the wooden totem type carvings would just be cool and useful. Certainly better than a landscape littered with drat benches.

Dig hole, build workbench, fill hole. Still functions but workbench is hidden.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

pik_d posted:

Can we really trust the nameless author (it's Odin) of those giant stone tablets though?

Don't be silly. The tablets are all written by Ulf the Brave. The only ones worth reading, at least.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Is it worth keeping evil bone piles in the burial chambers to farm bones or are there enough skeletons around for it not to matter? I ask because I killed some skeletons above ground at some ruins and they didn't seem to respawn

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You are not going to run out of skeletons, believe me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

boofhead posted:

Is it worth keeping evil bone piles in the burial chambers to farm bones or are there enough skeletons around for it not to matter? I ask because I killed some skeletons above ground at some ruins and they didn't seem to respawn

I'm absolutely swimming in bones. They're nearly as ubiquitous as resin at this point.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

is there any actual sink for bones, cause I feel like once you upgrade trollhide (or decide you no longer want to use any) there's no real use for them

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
At least resin has a use for torches. Bones are useless after a certain point.

I've reached max progression and now I'm just building. Defeating Moder unlocked the last tier of stuff, so I'm not taking on the 5th boss right now, but I'm just happily building away. I WILL make a hall worthy of Reddit to replace my cinderblock progression base.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

how does this compare to current Conan Exiles?

I've tried to like Conan so many times, but each time bounced.

Valheim is simpler, but that's part of it's charm. Simpler in that it's very chill when you want it to be, but it does gain complexity as you move up the tiers.

A lot of the systems, like food, are reward based, not punitive.

And you really can play ad-hoc cooperative with friends. It's almost village like.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I really want the ability to create a conical roof. Also a hipped roof cap and with steeper angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get decent cones if you're okay with the existing pieces overlapping a lot.

The bigger issue to me is snapping supports to the edges without stuff clipping through, it can be done but it's even more fussy than getting curves. (which I had not yet done in this screenshot)