Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

$20 on 2 please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Der Kyhe posted:

So they did not need to look that far.

Hyneman is the guy who designs, and designs, and designs a prototype with the least amount of moving parts that most likely produces the results, then makes a prototype and adjusts it, an approach with the brutal Occam's razor.

Adam is the guy who makes a prototype based on the first intuition, and adds stuff and then stuff, and then stuff until something works well enough to not break down.

And that is also why Hyneman was usually the one to win competitive myths, but his approach is, for a TV show, boring as gently caress.

Whenever "did they like one another" chat comes up, I think about this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmUJDBOFG20&t=232s
Jamie is being a straight dick about the shop station, which was fine and to his specifications to the camera guy whose "primary" job it is to stock them. "There isn't a sharpie here" nevermind the one you just pulled out, or the one you eventually found. Or the loving paper towels right loving there. God he seems like an rear end in a top hat right here.
I never caught it before, but you hear the camera guy suppress a groan. But the consummate professional just keeps filming.

"It's like a derailed freight train in here" gently caress you.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Adam's got a bit more blunt about his dislike of Jaime over the years. He used to be all coy about and just say "Oh, we don't go out for dinners together after work, but we get along at work".

The last time just recently when someone asked if he'd do another show with Jaime, he basically said "We dont talk ever, and I dont want to do a show with him. MOVING ON..."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

:D

My point being that this is what happens when Mythbusters is brought up. Not any of the ~400 tests or things they built, interesting stuff they tested, nor the elaborate scenarios they built up, but always this or something related to the ones they hosed up.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 26, 2021

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Scratch Monkey posted:

and Kari was there because she a good combo of photogenic and ambitious.

From everything I've heard (mostly from Adam) Jamie's a curmudgeonly pain in the rear end

If Jamie had a YouTube channel we'd probably hear about Kari hanging around outside the door until until he gave her a job and how god drat annoying that new guy Adam is.

Until the show happened Jamie was literally their boss. They were employees at his shop.

I watch all of the Adam Savage youtube videos, but we're only getting his side of the story.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
But what about the boss's side of the story?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Bald eagles are the stupidest things in the sky and that includes airline passengers and the 737 MAX. One of them tried to attack a helicopter on approach to land at an airport I worked at and succeeded in rupturing a fuel tank and dying. They are a perfect national symbol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nth Doctor posted:

Whenever "did they like one another" chat comes up, I think about this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmUJDBOFG20&t=232s
Jamie is being a straight dick about the shop station, which was fine and to his specifications to the camera guy whose "primary" job it is to stock them. "There isn't a sharpie here" nevermind the one you just pulled out, or the one you eventually found. Or the loving paper towels right loving there. God he seems like an rear end in a top hat right here.
I never caught it before, but you hear the camera guy suppress a groan. But the consummate professional just keeps filming.

"It's like a derailed freight train in here" gently caress you.

This is hilarious. Everything he wants to be there is there, there's just some extra stuff and he's acting like it's the end of the world.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Interesting, no one gives a gently caress.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

mng posted:

Interesting, no one gives a gently caress.

Actually I think they do ya big doofus

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

PinheadSlim posted:

Actually I think they do ya big doofus

They shouldn't.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

But what about the boss's side of the story?

I've worked for a number of folks like him over the years.

Not exactly a bad guy, just perpetually grousing about one thing or another, and being just enough of a jerk to make you not want to talk to them unless absolutely necessary.

More thoughtless than malicious, but they just add a low level of friction to everything that needs to involve them. If they actually have a heart of gold, you call them a curmudgeon, if they don't, they're just an rear end in a top hat.

The impression that I've gotten of Jamie is way more the latter but he got along by being really drat good at his job, so people were willing to put up with him both in terms of hiring him and working for him.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

when you do something that no one else really does, frequently you can get away with being an rear end in a top hat. jaime always struck me as an utterly humourless rear end in a top hat, and adam always struck me as a 13 year old idiot, which admittedly made for interesting TV

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hahaha I never knew this

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Der Kyhe posted:

:D

My point being that this is what happens when Mythbusters is brought up. Not any of the ~400 tests or things they built, interesting stuff they tested, nor the elaborate scenarios they built up, but always this or something related to the ones they hosed up.

So what? :confused:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also, what was up with the pyramid razor episode that made them regret it? A quick google isn't giving me a good idea and I don't really want to spend 40 minutes finding out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
We need to start a campaign to get bald eagles renamed 'America birds'.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Azathoth posted:

Also, what was up with the pyramid razor episode that made them regret it? A quick google isn't giving me a good idea and I don't really want to spend 40 minutes finding out.

Its baseless pseudoscience bullshit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

Its baseless pseudoscience bullshit.

okay yeah, but ... most of what they looked into was bullshit? did they say that it might be real or something?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Azathoth posted:

okay yeah, but ... most of what they looked into was bullshit? did they say that it might be real or something?

no but most of what they tested was at least plausible. 'pyramids keep razors sharp' is just straight woo

they never tested one of my favorite myths, which is that a confederate soldier in the civil war got shot through the testicle with a musket and the ball lodged in a woman's uterus and impregnated her

you'd think that's the kind of thing they'd think of!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The best mythbusters episode is where they packed Adam by shocking him and he got really mad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

boar guy posted:

no but most of what they tested was at least plausible. 'pyramids keep razors sharp' is just straight woo

they never tested one of my favorite myths, which is that a confederate soldier in the civil war got shot through the testicle with a musket and the ball lodged in a woman's uterus and impregnated her

you'd think that's the kind of thing they'd think of!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0768500/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Azathoth posted:

No, a ton of the stuff they studied ended up either confirmed or plausible. And even the dumb ones that seem obviously false ("a duck's quack does not echo") still lead to some interesting discussions of the scientific framework they used to test it (anechoic chambers, frequency analysis, etc).

The pyramid power one was just: putting things inside a copper-wire pyramid makes them better through unexplainable new age energy. Razor blades get sharper and food doesn't go bad, it's magic. There isn't even any discussion to be had because the explanations from the proponents, if any are forthcoming, are unfalsifiable. Oh it didn't work this time because there's a thunderstorm in the next county that's absorbing all the orgone energy? Great.

Adam has also said before that he didn't want it to become a James Randi style show where mystics and weirdos would go on and get OWNED BY SCIENCE and become embarrassed/confrontational. That's why they never tested dowsing, despite many people asking them to. Pyramid power is down that same line.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Huh, so it does play Crysis.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I've worked for a number of folks like him over the years.

Not exactly a bad guy, just perpetually grousing about one thing or another, and being just enough of a jerk to make you not want to talk to them unless absolutely necessary.

More thoughtless than malicious, but they just add a low level of friction to everything that needs to involve them. If they actually have a heart of gold, you call them a curmudgeon, if they don't, they're just an rear end in a top hat.

The impression that I've gotten of Jamie is way more the latter but he got along by being really drat good at his job, so people were willing to put up with him both in terms of hiring him and working for him.

I worked for a couple production companies over the years. Jamie types are producers, they are effective operators but are absolute assholes about keeping things a certain way so he can swap them out. It only gets worse as they do it longer too. Their system works and he's the boss that makes sure poo poo is kept together.

It's a necessity working in production companies where each project requires an intense amount of high paid coordinated labor. The drat pens/cables/tools/equipment better be where they are supposed to be because I'm paying the guy that I brought in for the day 300$ an hour to support that actor that costs me 1000$ an hour to have on set.

It's a very specific type of rear end in a top hat. Not saying it's at all good, but it's a specific set of personality quirks that develops in hollywood.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BlueBlazer posted:

I worked for a couple production companies over the years. Jamie types are producers, they are effective operators but are absolute assholes about keeping things a certain way so he can swap them out. It only gets worse as they do it longer too. Their system works and he's the boss that makes sure poo poo is kept together.

It's a necessity working in production companies where each project requires an intense amount of high paid coordinated labor. The drat pens/cables/tools/equipment better be where they are supposed to be because I'm paying the guy that I brought in for the day 300$ an hour to support that actor that costs me 1000$ an hour to have on set.

It's a very specific type of rear end in a top hat. Not saying it's at all good, but it's a specific set of personality quirks that develops in hollywood.

I feel like there’s also an element of flakiness common among some people you can get on a production (or other arts-related endeavor), that also ends up inviting this kind of strictness. The “no pens, only pencils and sharpies” and “just one calculator, no more” feels like the kind of orderliness you emphasize when you’re trying to make sure can quickly catch and eliminate the PAs who think the job is beneath them as they daydream about what they’re gonna say for their Oscar speech.

It’s calls to mind Tom Sach’s “10 Bullets” rules for people working in his studio:

https://youtu.be/49p1JVLHUos

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

No, a ton of the stuff they studied ended up either confirmed or plausible. And even the dumb ones that seem obviously false ("a duck's quack does not echo") still lead to some interesting discussions of the scientific framework they used to test it (anechoic chambers, frequency analysis, etc).

The pyramid power one was just: putting things inside a copper-wire pyramid makes them better through unexplainable new age energy. Razor blades get sharper and food doesn't go bad, it's magic. There isn't even any discussion to be had because the explanations from the proponents, if any are forthcoming, are unfalsifiable. Oh it didn't work this time because there's a thunderstorm in the next county that's absorbing all the orgone energy? Great.

Adam has also said before that he didn't want it to become a James Randi style show where mystics and weirdos would go on and get OWNED BY SCIENCE and become embarrassed/confrontational. That's why they never tested dowsing, despite many people asking them to. Pyramid power is down that same line.

yea they were doing the equivalent of 'can I cast a real life Kamehameha if I scream real loud?' Everyone knew the answer and there was no real 'science' to mine out of such an absurd question so really all they did was get any pyramid perverts who were watching writing them pissy emails and leaving the rest of the viewers going 'well loving yea no poo poo'.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

well hot drat

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Humphreys posted:

RE: Mythbusters

I kinda want to know how Jamie is going. Like, I'm sure he is just knuckling down on some crazy project hating publicity, but I would like to say 'hey buddy, I appreciate you' one day.

He popped up on Twitter last month after not much activity saying he was deleting his Facebook stuff. https://twitter.com/JamieNoTweet
Other than that it's been a couple years since he mentioned anything there. I've not listened to the podcasts he said he participated in.
In 2018 he worked on this:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a25051641/mythbuster-jamie-hyneman-wildfire-tank-sentry/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phy posted:

I remember seeing a picture years ago of like a dozen or so bald eagles that had gorged themselves in a dumpster full of fish guts and couldn't get out because, well, their flight feathers were soaked in fish guts

and I remember thinking, "Apropos"

Had to look it up and...

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18086928&t=1614395544586

Don't think this video is from the same incident, but those sure are some greedy-rear end eagles:
https://gawker.com/our-new-national-emblem-bald-eagles-looting-fish-guts-500278827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqOYACbFjI

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Jamie tried to make VR moonwalk shoes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfn9sXgZd3k

I once saw segway style balancing shoe-skates promoted by him but I can't find any now.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like there’s also an element of flakiness common among some people you can get on a production (or other arts-related endeavor), that also ends up inviting this kind of strictness. The “no pens, only pencils and sharpies” and “just one calculator, no more” feels like the kind of orderliness you emphasize when you’re trying to make sure can quickly catch and eliminate the PAs who think the job is beneath them as they daydream about what they’re gonna say for their Oscar speech.

It’s calls to mind Tom Sach’s “10 Bullets” rules for people working in his studio:

https://youtu.be/49p1JVLHUos

That video sums it up nicely.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BlueBlazer posted:

That video sums it up nicely.

Yeah, I made it about 5 minutes into that video before I decided that was enough of that for one lifetime.

Jamie almost kinda reminds me of the grumpy old union dudes I worked with on the shop floor: been doing it for forever, knew their poo poo, and had zero interest in pleasantries and/or nonsense. As long as someone like that is very consistent in what does/does not set them off, then it's usually pretty easy to figure out how to work well with 'em once you know what NOT to do.

Kinda sucks getting to that point though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I do not know who that Tom Sachs person is, but that man has an illness.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Sachs is an 𝒶𝓇𝓉𝒾𝓈𝓉.

The type of 𝒶𝓇𝓉𝒾𝓈𝓉 whose personality is as important to his brand as the art he produces; perhaps even more so. The type who sees themselves as society's enfant terrible, saying audacious things and being generally intolerable but excused because he's right, you know.

I am not all that impressed by him.

Also re. Jamie Hyneman I'm reminded of something a very well-known designer told me once. There are three facets to success in these sorts of creative/production/performance fields:

- be extremely good at what you do
- always be reliable and deliver on time
- be a good person that everyone likes

And while it's best to be all three, you can get away with any two.

If you're likable and reliable, you are the busy bee, and you might not blow anyone away with your work but you'll always have a place because you keep plugging away and getting things done.

If you're likable and very talented, you are the eccentric genius or virtuoso, and people will excuse you being kind of flaky because you're hard to stay mad at and when you do deliver it's exceptional work.

If you're very talented and always deliver on time, you can be an rear end in a top hat and people will put up with it because you can handle the mission-critical jobs, getting the work done competently the first time, right now. You will be unpleasant to work with but no one can argue the results. You are Jamie Hyneman.

If you only have one of the three you're going to be fired.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Gonna Kramer in with my Mythbusters opinion;

I never got into it because the stuff they investigated just didn't interest me. And it's not that I'm not intellectually curious, I just didn't gaf if fish farts are loud or water heaters explode or whatever, and I absolutely wasn't interested in some Americans 'investigating' it in the most laboured and irritating way.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Mythbusters, like a lot of Discovery Inc. programming, suffers greatly from having to fill an hour time slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That fuckin dump truck got reduced to atoms.