Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any adult who pays $60 of their own money for a five-hour rail shooter is out of their goddamn mind.

Well I'm convinced, I should stop enjoying things because this dude said I'm wrong to enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any adult who pays $60 of their own money for a five-hour rail shooter is out of their goddamn mind.

I'm with you that you have a legitimate expectation about a video game that's being dismissed with some really stupid posts here, but maybe don't cross over into calling other people's gaming preferences insane.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can you stop projecting onto other people man? It's getting kind of gross.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rimusutera posted:

I'm with you that you have a legitimate expectation about a video game that's being dismissed with some really stupid posts here, but maybe don't cross over into calling other people's gaming preferences insane.
Yeah, you're right. That was lovely. I was trying to say that expecting innovation is not unreasonable and I made an rear end of myself. Sorry.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m on like the fifth chapter of Astral Chain... what’s with all the junk I keep picking up? It says in their descriptions that they can be recycled, is there some place to do that later? Or am I supposed to sell them? More money for upgrades would be nice...

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Pokemon Snap-like is it's own genre now, I'm confused why you want the new Pokemon Snap game to something else instead of accepting that you might not be the intended audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGO2n5tPLIY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m on like the fifth chapter of Astral Chain... what’s with all the junk I keep picking up? It says in their descriptions that they can be recycled, is there some place to do that later? Or am I supposed to sell them? More money for upgrades would be nice...

IIRC they’re just meant to be sold.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Amorphous Abode posted:

Pokemon Snap-like is it's own genre now, I'm confused why you want the new Pokemon Snap game to something else instead of accepting that you might not be the intended audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGO2n5tPLIY
New Pokemon Snap could cost three times what this game does and I would have no complaints.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Being on rails is the thing that makes Pokemon Snap fun. Walking around taking screenshots of things barely qualifies as gameplay. Pokemon Snap is more like a performance game like Guitar Hero or Just Dance than it is like a nature photography simulator. The high-scoring photos in Pokemon Snap are your rewards for figuring out and performing the right choreography.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, Bravely Default 2 runs like loving rear end and loadtimes are long. wtf

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Pokemon has become so stale, I wasn't very impressed with Sword/Shield, but Legends is looking pretty legit, maybe Nintendo should just take the Breath of the Wild approach to all their franchises.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you think about it spending $60 on an a 10-hour game is actually way more efficient than spending $60 on a 100-hour game, because of the opportunity cost of those 90 hours. you could make way more than 60 bucks in 90 hours! like, at least $61! and playing a 100-hour game is basically like working a second job anyway so you're getting about the same net level of enjoyment out of it really

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I never really cared about the score in Pokemon Snap even though I realize that's like the whole point. I just really enjoyed trying to see all the different interactions and discover what was actually possible. Some of the events that took like 2 or 3 different Pokemon to set up were pretty wild. Then there were also the frustrating ones like hitting that drat magikarp all the way down the river to finally get the gyrados in the waterfall. It's hard to describe but even though the "gameplay" was super slow and on rails, the game had a certain amount of wonder and mystery attached to it, and I fully expect the new version to have that as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Augus posted:

if you think about it spending $60 on an a 10-hour game is actually way more efficient than spending $60 on a 100-hour game, because of the opportunity cost of those 90 hours. you could make way more than 60 bucks in 90 hours! like, at least $61! and playing a 100-hour game is basically like working a second job anyway so you're getting about the same level of enjoyment out of it really

Apologize to Persona 5 immediately

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shammypants posted:

fuckin make me

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I still like Pokemon. I was 12(or so) when Blue/Red came out. My friends and I had a little trade group going on. For some reason, I liked Sword well enough but it didn't pull me in as Ultra Sun did. It's a shame because the new pokemon have some seriously cute ones and strong ones.

Honestly, I'm keeping my Lite until Pro pops up for preorder.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I actually thought Pokemon Legends looks kind of uncanny, I wasn't a fan of the realistic open world landscape with the some scatterings of Pokemon just standing around. I feel like Pokemon is one of those franchises that benefits from the abstraction of having an rpg overworld- your imagination does the work of giving the creatures a justifiable place in the tall grass.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

New Pokemon Snap could cost three times what this game does and I would have no complaints.

So the threshold for madness is anything above eight dollars per hour of gaming entertainment. Got it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

wafflemoose posted:

Pokemon has become so stale, I wasn't very impressive with Sword/Shield, but Legends is looking pretty legit, maybe Nintendo should just take the Breath of the Wild approach to all their franchises.

Now I want to know what a Breath of the Wild inspired WarioWare looks like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spacebump posted:

The puzzles/mini-games have durability, so you need to keep constructing new ones. :haw:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Mario pins came today :toot:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I liked pokemon snap because of the kingler rock formation in the first level. it blew my stupid little 10 year old mind

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't fully understand how this works:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1365137210874372097

Is he bouncing from the kicked ball to jump off the next one?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure he's just wall jumping.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Mario pins came today :toot:

I got my cat mario keychain today, it’s hella cute and actually bigger than I expected

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Shammypants posted:

Hey persona 5 i'm sorry you aren't as fun as Persona 3 portable

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Spacebump posted:

I'd rather not get within 200 feet of Wario's breath

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

I'd rather not get within 200 feet of Wario's breath

Cook Garlic to get Baked Garlic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dpulex posted:

Hey persona 5 i'm sorry you aren't as fun as Persona 3 portable

I would slam buy P3P for Switch day 1

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Finally watched the Pokemon Legends Arceus trailer.

Ya'll really gonna stand there and tell me you couldn't have made an open-world Pokemon Snap 2?
I'm very disappointed in you Pokemon Company.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Ya'll really gonna stand there and tell me you couldn't have made an open-world Pokemon Snap 2?

:facepalm:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Definitely wouldn't want a new pokemon snap to look like the Legends trailer did

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pokemon snap looks good the way it is

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Augus posted:

if you think about it spending $60 on an a 10-hour game is actually way more efficient than spending $60 on a 100-hour game, because of the opportunity cost of those 90 hours. you could make way more than 60 bucks in 90 hours! like, at least $61! and playing a 100-hour game is basically like working a second job anyway so you're getting about the same net level of enjoyment out of it really

I know you’re joking, but I hate that my brain thinks like this sometimes in terms of money

Anyway, I don’t mind shorter games. I know people complained about the length of Miles Morales, but I’d rather the game be short and I finish it than super long to the point that I lose interest, stop playing, and regret I bought it because I couldn’t be bothered to finish it. I feel that way about games like Days Gone and Star Wars Fallen Order, two games I still haven’t beaten but just got so repetitive I stopped playing them. But they sit on my shelf of currently playing games staring at me and mocking me when I keep moving on to newer games.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

If they did it would look like a PS1 game and run at 15 fps

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

romanowski posted:

I liked pokemon snap because of the kingler rock formation in the first level. it blew my stupid little 10 year old mind

Yeah! I was like, nine or so when I played it, and the "hidden Pokemon" both blew my mind and creeped me out a bit, particularly the Pinsir shadow in the power plant. I'm hoping the new game will have something similar.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I can't wait for Pokemon Conquest 2 to be announced and have everyone be mad that it's an SRPG like the first one, instead of an open world adventure game.

I'm kidding of course. That would require them to make a Pokemon Conquest 2, and we'll never live in that timeline. :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I only saw the legend trailer on my phone earlier but I just watched it on a TV and lol it looks so bad. The art design is great but wow at how much a Pokemon 5 feet from you is chugging and how low that dynamic resolution was. Looked like it dipped under 480p at one point.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad that the pokemon in the New Snap trailer animated at more than 5 frames a second

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I played Digimon Cyber Sleuth and it was a lot more fun than Sword and Shield, if only for making the collect them all part more convenient and transparent. You can see what the evolution requirements are. You can see which Digimon are in each area. You can de-evolve and pick another route. You can easily level up your Digimon in storage, evolve them all from the same screen, etc.
Man, if there was a game where you just collected Pokemon and filled out your Pokedex, and made it fun to do, that would be great. Forget about the battling part even, I just want to catch them all within one videogame with no bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i'm pretty excited for dpplt remakes cause i have some serious nostalgia for gen 4!!! the open world one seems nice too! :) i guess they're still p early builds tho?