Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gatts posted:

JJ Abrams? Like does no one in Hollywood learn their lesson? I declare it a turd dead on arrival. Like this whole process is going to be zapping a zombie to life. Ugh. The man cannot hack it in any capacity.

WB may not reign in Abrams as much as Disney did. I remember that he wanted to have JarJar's severed head and other more overt anti-prequel stuff in the ST, and while I wouldn't have been onboard with that sort of thing it at least would have been something!

But I also don't know if this project will actually get off the ground, it's definitely a PR play in response to Fisher's labor action.

Edit: and Nadia's expose!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Blood Boils posted:

I remember that he wanted to have JarJar's severed head and other more overt anti-prequel stuff in the ST,

JJ hates a lower class minority character

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've never heard of that Jar Jar story. I also don't think Disney really "reigned" in Abrams (or Johnson either) all that much, if at all. Sure, Abrams cut a lot of stuff from TROS (and TFA, which tends to be forgotten) but by every indication that seemed to be his own decision. The same with the plot developments and characters, by every indication Abrams and Johnson were given pretty wide margins to do what they wanted to do.

Ironically Lucasfilm seems like they were a lot more involved with micromanaging the spinoff movies than they were the sequel trilogy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gatts posted:

JJ Abrams? Like does no one in Hollywood learn their lesson? I declare it a turd dead on arrival. Like this whole process is going to be zapping a zombie to life. Ugh. The man cannot hack it in any capacity.

I mean I don't much care for his work but his movies make money don't they? Wouldn't that be the main deciding factor in this decision?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
J.J.Binks

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Is this a real TNC page

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yes it is.

Coates isn't the first writer to make the observation that the racism that underpins American government, culture, etc is a vulnerability but the places he's gone with that analysis have been... pretty bad, to say the least.

People thought having the CIA as the good guys in Black Panther was awkward but letting Coates inject his politics into a Superman movie would likely put that to shame by comparison.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone tell her

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Roman posted:

I would like to see a black Superman but set in the 50s or 60s. An invulnerable black person who could level the planet by themselves living in America in that time period could be a pretty interesting story. But if it's just another plain old Superman story But He's Black Now, ehhh

For whatever faults they had, the Luke Cage and Watchmen TV shows had actual things to say about this. Is this DCEU Superman movie going to? Yeah...I'm skeptical, but prove me wrong, I guess.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

JJ hates a lower class minority character

Well yeah, he's a prequel-hater :p

Some of whom I'm sure are very fine people

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

People thought having the CIA as the good guys in Black Panther was awkward but letting Coates inject his politics into a Superman movie would likely put that to shame by comparison.

Wasn't the Black Panther movie specifically based on Coates' run of the comic?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I must admit, I'm kind of mad that J. J. Abrams is personally responsible for halting forward progress in Star Trek by releasing those terrible movies of his. I'd say the same could be said of Star Wars really. I think he secretly hates nerds and is trying to ruin all the things they enjoy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I must admit, I'm kind of mad that J. J. Abrams is personally responsible for halting forward progress in Star Trek by releasing those terrible movies of his. I'd say the same could be said of Star Wars really. I think he secretly hates nerds and is trying to ruin all the things they enjoy

I mean, you know that’s silly, right? He just enjoys them for different reasons than you do.

It’s like the old Onion headline when Trek ‘09 came out. Something like, “Trek fans hate new Star Trek movie for being too fun and exciting!”

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean I'm not going to write like an essay about it or anything but I'm willing to go to bat and say that the new Star Trek movies are really loving bad

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dude is loving gross about women and sex and using his newfound power to gently caress his employees is definitely abusive.

Agreed.

I guess my thing is that if the story comes out that Whedon trapped Trachtenberg in a room and screamed at her for three straight hours because she messed up a line but he did not suggest sex or grab her breasts or something, that doesn't make what happened okay. Abuse is still abuse. Harassment is still harassment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I mean I'm not going to write like an essay about it or anything but I'm willing to go to bat and say that the new Star Trek movies are really loving bad

And also impressively forgettable.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Nah nu trek is pretty good, beyond is the weakest but the other 2 are solid

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked Into Darkness OK in the end where it basically rejected all the darker morally ambiguous stuff the movie had been doing up til then. I thought it was being Dark Trek but it was actually a movie about some rear end in a top hat trying to make Dark Trek happen

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Blood Boils posted:

Nah nu trek is pretty good, beyond is the weakest but the other 2 are solid

I'm kind of the reverse of that. The first movie was... okay even though Time Travel Bullshit isn't really my cuppa. The second was pretty good right up to end, which just shat the bed for me. I get it, Abrams wanted to do Wrath of Khan, but it was important in WoK that Kirk had earned Khan's wrath - or at least appeared to. I think it'd have been far more interesting for the end of Into Darkness to have been Kirk and Khan actually parting as something like friends, making ID kind of the inverse of WoK.

I think I liked Beyond the best because we finally got away from the Lens Flairs and also I just loved the poo poo out of Sofia Boutella as Jaylah. I've spent four years hoping for a Beyond sequel just to see that character again, but no dice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everyone posted:

I'm kind of the reverse of that. The first movie was... okay even though Time Travel Bullshit isn't really my cuppa. The second was pretty good right up to end, which just shat the bed for me. I get it, Abrams wanted to do Wrath of Khan, but it was important in WoK that Kirk had earned Khan's wrath - or at least appeared to. I think it'd have been far more interesting for the end of Into Darkness to have been Kirk and Khan actually parting as something like friends, making ID kind of the inverse of WoK.

I always chuckle at people saying Into Darkness is a Wrath of Khan rehash, when really it flips, what, two scenes? The Trek that rips off Wrath of Khan without shame is Nemesis, all the way down to the stoic science officer saying goodbye and saving the captain and the Enterprise from a doomsday weapon with a ticking time bomb.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Trekkies seem to get tripped up by it but they're not the same Kirk or Khan, that's a different universe. Nu Khan doesn't have strong feelings about the enterprise crew, he only tries to kill them out of a 'no witnesses' sense. His nemesis was Marcus, not Kirk.

Jaylah was a neat character visually but I can't remember what she actually does in Beyond. I should rewatch it one of these days

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My favorite thing about Beyond is it referencing Enterprise, the most underrated and underappreciated series in the franchise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

I liked Into Darkness OK in the end where it basically rejected all the darker morally ambiguous stuff the movie had been doing up til then. I thought it was being Dark Trek but it was actually a movie about some rear end in a top hat trying to make Dark Trek happen

Yeah, both JJTreks are about rejecting dark, grim sci-fi in favor of bright, optimistic sci-fi. I know people (still) love to make jokes about lens flare, but JJ was making a literal ship of lights to contrast against the darkness of Nero’s ship in ‘09, and the dark Federation warship in Into Darkness.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

My favorite thing about Beyond is it referencing Enterprise, the most underrated and underappreciated series in the franchise.

Trek 2009 does as well. Archer gets named dropped. I don’t know about Discovery, but with the timeline diverging, Enterprise is the only TV that ‘happened’ in the Kelvin timeline. That never ceases to amuse me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The best thing about Beyond was depicting Archer-era ships as being absolute tanks, seeing as all they had for defense back in their day was polarized hull plating, as compared to the TOS-era and later ships being made out of styrofoam and tissue paper in comparison, due to their reliance upon shields and "structural integrity fields" and whatnot.

They crash that ship through a mountain with barely a scratch.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Trek 2009 does as well. Archer gets named dropped. I don’t know about Discovery, but with the timeline diverging, Enterprise is the only TV that ‘happened’ in the Kelvin timeline. That never ceases to amuse me.

They referenced the Kelvin timeline in this season of Discovery actually (discovery is definitely in the prime timeline)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Discovery's first episode takes place in 2256, nine years prior to the beginning of Kirk's first five-year mission. The Prime and Kelvin timelines deviate in 2233, when the Narada emerges and turns the Kelvin into Swiss cheese, so Enterprise is still the only series that exists in both timelines (though characters like Burnham, Georgiou and Lorca were born prior to that incident).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

gently caress JJ Abrams, Ta Nehisi Coates' comics are boring as poo poo. A black superman either invokes Obama Superman which I have zero loving interest in watching Superman being equated to or Val Zod is a fairly nothing character. Henry Cavill is great and they should just stick with him.

But all of this really just stinks of "Frosty the Snowman"-esque posturing after more news leaks of racist practices and behaviour among WB and Geoff Johns.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Obvious DC/WB flailing to appear "woke" and dodge a scandal aside, making Superman Black reeks of the same sort of deliberately obtuse liberal logic of "diversity" with no actual concern or understanding of how identity (but very explicitly race) functions in American culture, to say nothing of human society in general, as the endless speculation about making Bond or [insert legacy character here] Black or Asian or Queer or a Woman or whatever without addressing the various political forces that the character is meant to represent.

That's not to say it couldn't be done but I don't think any mainstream writer on Coates' level (or with his politics) could do anything new or interesting with it. Let Saidiya Hartman, Dionne Brand, Christina Sharpe, & Katherine McKittrick have a crack at it and you'd have something worth paying attention to. Maybe tap in Frank Wilderson to write the antagonist, especially if it is Zod but honestly so many of Superman's rogues gallery are genocidal megalomaniacs that it doesn't really matter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't that one black guy basically The Legendary Super Kryptonian from what I vaguely remember hearing

Just do a Dragon Ball movie. With Frasier.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was happy to have forgotten about Obama Superman until now.

Thanks a lot thread!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enki42 posted:

They referenced the Kelvin timeline in this season of Discovery actually (discovery is definitely in the prime timeline)

I don't remember the reference but I'm guessing it has to do with the Guardian of Forever. And yeah Discovery is in the Prime timeline. As far as I know, the movies (and any related media) are the only thing that take place in the Kelvin timeline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still say they should do a Nova movie with that schlubby dude from GotG. Like Miles O'Brien becoming a Green Lantern.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Only thing that stopped Star Wars was Covid.

Disney was ready to have a new movie roll out this year or next I believe but it got delayed.

Like, remember, just because people have lashed out at them doesn't mean Disney cares even a slightest bit. Each of the main three have all made a billion+ dollars.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't remember the reference but I'm guessing it has to do with the Guardian of Forever. And yeah Discovery is in the Prime timeline. As far as I know, the movies (and any related media) are the only thing that take place in the Kelvin timeline.

The guy that David Cronenbug played mentioned the Kelvin timeline when he was talking about Georgiou's condition right before the guardian stuff. The TNG-era alien he put the hologram up for was from the Kelvin universe.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I was happy to have forgotten about Obama Superman until now.

Thanks a lot thread!

I think there was a comic set in an alternate timeline where Obama is a rag-tag soldier fighting against aliens.

EDIT: It's real

Also he moonlights as a barbarian in his spare time

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 27, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Obama is an insane pussy. At least make the comics about Teddy Roosevelt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck did it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Weirdly enough, Man of Steel & Batman v Superman with a black Superman probably would have made them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It would have been a decent fit. I'm thinking of the bit in MoS where he gives himself up to the military and is trying to be nice to them while they're putting cuffs on him and scheming to try and tranquilise him. The bit where Batman beats up Superman because he's worried he might turn violent would have an uncomfortable vibe tho