Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Poison works fairly well, many enemies are weak (even some of the nastier bosses), and it does a lot of quick damage.

Bleed is less good, it deals way less damage than in other DS games, but it's a nice bonus if you get it to proc quickly. It also does apply a debuff (slowing, less stamina reg?), but for PvE that's not great.

Both are fine builds, though. There's a ring (both Covenant join rewards) and a glove (both dropped rarely from enemies) each to improve the proc time.

There's an excellent poison dagger boss weapon which you can get twice (using Bonfire Ascetics to refight the boss) and powerstance with itself. The Bandit Knife is not very good in DS2, I'd rather bleed with Claws, or whips as mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Are there any guides for powerstanced caestus builds? Should I infuse either or both?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Are there any guides for powerstanced caestus builds? Should I infuse either or both?

I just did a quality build starting with strength then dex with no infusion, that might not be optimal though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Don’t infuse, just make a normal quality build — ADP first, then meet the powerstance requirements (should be something like 15 STR 12 DEX) then keep loading up on both of those + health/stamina/equip load as you desire. Caestus is an ideal quality weapon, it has A/A scaling at +10. Use resins if you want an elemental damage. Don’t forget to pick up the ring of blades from Pursuer and the stone ring from the Betwixt ogre.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Get stronk, power stance, punch things to death. I remember liking my punch run of DS2 a lot.

IIRC Dark Souls 2 is probably the strongest the Cestus is in the series. Bludgeon damage is probably one of the strongest melee damage types by virtue of how many of the enemies are big dudes in armor that you just bash right through.

Also Dark Souls 2 is I think the only game that lets you two hand fist weapons so that you can do the Captain Kirk double fist punch. So it wins on swag and style alone.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 26, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You probably want Flynn's Ring, so pick a class with 9 or less Vit and keep it that way

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Flynn’s ring is pretty good but not mandatory (also kind of a pain to get). You can definitely do a heavy armor punch man instead and just skip it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If Rotten isn't your first boss so you can start the game with Flynn's I don't know what to tell you

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I used Ring of Blades, Stone Ring, Chloranthy Ring and Ring of Binding for 90% of the game on my punch build. You can switch out for Flynn's late in the game but one of the nice things about it is that you can powerstance from very early due to the low equipment requirements and once you get all that you're basically set. It doesn't hurt to infuse an alternate third caestus with poison though, you'll be punching enough that you can inflict fairly well.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
does sotfs include password matchmaking? or do i still have to swap rings in/out a minimum of 128 times if i want to a do co-op run

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Simply Simon posted:

Poison works fairly well, many enemies are weak (even some of the nastier bosses), and it does a lot of quick damage.

Bleed is less good, it deals way less damage than in other DS games, but it's a nice bonus if you get it to proc quickly. It also does apply a debuff (slowing, less stamina reg?), but for PvE that's not great.

Both are fine builds, though. There's a ring (both Covenant join rewards) and a glove (both dropped rarely from enemies) each to improve the proc time.

There's an excellent poison dagger boss weapon which you can get twice (using Bonfire Ascetics to refight the boss) and powerstance with itself. The Bandit Knife is not very good in DS2, I'd rather bleed with Claws, or whips as mentioned.

Huh, good to know. How are some of the other poison innate weapons like the Black Scorpion Rapier?

Also it looks like the Earthen Peak boss dagger is Toxic, which, double bonus I guess. You can get that way earlier than the spotted whip too.

Edit: vvvvv I pretty much just play Dark Souls on Playstation. I'd imagine PC / Playstation will be where the majority of people are.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 26, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated.

Are most people going to be on PC or Xbox?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated.

Are most people going to be on PC or Xbox?

I would imagine PC, that might just be my own preference speaking.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

When’s the soonest I can get two caesti in this game? I’ve never done a punch build before

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Scrap Dragon posted:

When’s the soonest I can get two caesti in this game? I’ve never done a punch build before

within the first hour of gameplay. go to the cardinal tower, buy them for 1k souls each from the hag

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scrap Dragon posted:

The merchant in the first area, so you can have two in like 5 minutes from the game's start if you know how to yolo run it.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sick, thanks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh poo poo i'm not gonna miss return to drangelic this year :woop:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Frida Call Me posted:

does sotfs include password matchmaking? or do i still have to swap rings in/out a minimum of 128 times if i want to a do co-op run

sadly no. There's the Name-engraved Ring from Shalquoir in Majula that increases the summoning range if two players are wearing it and choose the same god, and excludes all others.

available gods are

Nehma - Goddess of Love
Caitha - Goddess of Tears
Calib - God of Disease
Kremmel - God of Struggle
Evlana - Goddess of the Hunt
Hanleth - Goddess of Bliss
Nahr Alma - God of Blood
Zinder - God of Desire
Quella - God of Dream
Caffrey - Goddess of Fortune

I propose the goon god be Kremmel, God of Struggle

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well I tried to play through sotfs a few years ago with a controller with a dead zone always turning to the left and then switched to keyboard and mouse at the shrine of amana and then stopped at the dragon aerie. I reinstalled completed the game and did the sunken king and iron king dlcs. Those were some pretty hard dlc but the sunken king areas were loving amazing. I guess the iron king one was ok but drat those enemy placements were loving rough.

Also in the sunken king I was running through the dragon sanctum and I started running into the ghosts from the statues so I just kept running until I got invaded by the jester npc and then I ran even more. I was so relieved when I found the room with all their statues to make them attackable.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hello dark souls thread, I would like some advice, tyia

I have never beaten Dark Souls 2, but I did get like 20 hours in a run a few years ago. I also just recently finished my 10th? playthrough of Bloodborne and this event seems like it will be fun. During my most recent Bloodborne playthrough, I went with a skill build and mainly used the burial blade, rakuyo, and church pick. I liked these weapons because they looked cool, had quick movesets, did a good amount of damage, and in the case of the church pick had lots of bonuses that made them really good against a lot of the enemies in the game. In other words, they were some of the easiest to use and most OP weapons in the game.

What weapons/builds would you guys recommend for something similar in Dark Souls 2? I didn't get to try powerstancing in my last playthrough and I wonder if that might be up my alley as well. I'm mainly looking for stuff that will be very useful for most of the game and preferably can be found within the first few hours of a run. My last run, I used the long sword, which was fine, but kinda boring. I do want to try a dex build, but Im not married to anything specific yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

hello dark souls thread, I would like some advice, tyia

I have never beaten Dark Souls 2, but I did get like 20 hours in a run a few years ago. I also just recently finished my 10th? playthrough of Bloodborne and this event seems like it will be fun. During my most recent Bloodborne playthrough, I went with a skill build and mainly used the burial blade, rakuyo, and church pick. I liked these weapons because they looked cool, had quick movesets, did a good amount of damage, and in the case of the church pick had lots of bonuses that made them really good against a lot of the enemies in the game. In other words, they were some of the easiest to use and most OP weapons in the game.

What weapons/builds would you guys recommend for something similar in Dark Souls 2? I didn't get to try powerstancing in my last playthrough and I wonder if that might be up my alley as well. I'm mainly looking for stuff that will be very useful for most of the game and preferably can be found within the first few hours of a run. My last run, I used the long sword, which was fine, but kinda boring. I do want to try a dex build, but Im not married to anything specific yet.

Rakuyo is pretty much any katana in DS2, the church pick is like a short sword and a scythe or Lucerne, burial blade is going to be like a falchion and scythe. If you want to roll with something familiar, those are probably going to be your best bets. Play around with the dual wielding because the power stance is pretty unique to this game and really opens up your build choices. I remember dual falchion builds being really good too if you want to get your lady Maria on. If you want to go hard on bloodborne energy you can offhand a crossbow and take pot shots with it. You won't stagger / parry, but built right it'll do a fair spot more damage than bb guns and carries a lot more ammo.

If you want a laugh, get Richard's rapier on a Dex build

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 26, 2021

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah man I'm getting unreasonably excited about playing DS2 again. I'm feeling a lot of indecision about what weapon setup I wanna run with. Last time I did a dual caestus->bone fist punchman. Maybe I might try out the warped sword? That's a name that tends to come up a lot when people talk about cool DS2 weapons and it can be gotten pretty early. I kinda want to do the bell keeper and sunguy covenants to grab their spells in case I want to finish grabbing the last few achievements since those are the only two you can't just buy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My latest run is a str build with an estoc in my right hand and a bare fist with the punching ring reward from the company of champions in my left. It’s pretty fun.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think at least until I can get silly with Spotted/Spiked whip closer to endgame I'm probably going to start out as an escapee from KnifeCrime Island and just run around shivving people with double daggers and maybe move up to rapiers later.

The nice thing about DS2 over 3 is that they give you pretty early access to +6 upgrade stones so you can have a pretty broad bank of weapons that are reasonably upgraded to toy around with. I feel like I have to commit a lot harder to which weapons I want to use in DS3 until super late game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Rakuyo is pretty much any katana in DS2, the church pick is like a short sword and a scythe or Lucerne, burial blade is going to be like a falchion and scythe. If you want to roll with something familiar, those are probably going to be your best bets. Play around with the dual wielding because the power stance is pretty unique to this game and really opens up your build choices. I remember dual falchion builds being really good too if you want to get your lady Maria on. If you want to go hard on bloodborne energy you can offhand a crossbow and take pot shots with it. You won't stagger / parry, but built right it'll do a fair spot more damage than bb guns and carries a lot more ammo.

If you want a laugh, get Richard's rapier on a Dex build

ty, a lot of good info that will help me out. Looks like i'll start out with falchions since theyre easy to get and go from there.

Looking at the wiki, it seems that katanas r kinda a pain to find?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ty, a lot of good info that will help me out. Looks like i'll start out with falchions since theyre easy to get and go from there.

You can farm blacksteel katanas from Iron keep, which, if you absolutely beeline to it is still behind like 4 bosses from the start of the game in a pretty non-conventional, under leveled direction. You can also buy a single uchigatana from the blacksmith in the bastille, which you can get to pretty quick after the second main-path boss, the pursuer

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 27, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
https://discord.gg/AuK9hVykk3

This is the fromsoft goons discord :)

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

As long as you're playing Scholar version, you can buy one in the 3rdish area, couple hours in. Original..... Yeah.

You can buy a rapier immediately to use until you get your anime sword, though. Rapier is pretty busted in this, and scales off Dex as well.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

you can get the Washing Pole from Harvest Valley which is only two bosses in if you bee-line for it.

Highly useful map showing how the levels connect

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to servers? I was doing a test run to make sure I was ready for tomorrow but I can’t connect, and according to some googling I’m not the only one today

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

more helpful newbie tips:

- in character creation, hit the random face button repeatedly until it gives you a monstrosity

- Rapier is probably the best pve weapon. available early, low requirements, low stamina usage, quick animation, decent poise damage, and high counter damage (bosses have very large counter windows).
However, everyone else will probably be using one, so be a bit creative, ok?

- If you're dying a lot and frustrated by losing health each time, the Ring of Binding is available from Heidi's Tower of Flame. it reduces the amount lost by half. so instead of losing 50% max hp, you only lose 25%.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I thought the mace was the best PvE weapon because drat near everything is weak to strike.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

I thought the mace was the best PvE weapon because drat near everything is weak to strike.

Mace and rapier both make the game pretty easy. Mace probably starts stronger because of the blunt damage but rapier has higher DPS once upgraded. IIRC speed runners all use the rapier

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

The rapier is by far the highest DPS weapon you can get early, and you can stunlock basically anything with two-handed R1s and the Stone Ring.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'm legit getting excited for this lol, what's a good fun build for a 10th playthrough?

I'm thinking dual maces. Haven't really messed with powerstancing except the caestus run, which was great. Definitely recommended to anyone who hasn't done one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm picking sotfs on pc tonight and rolling my character/getting to majula at least. Looking forward to playing with everyone :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretend you're playing on 1.0 and do a hex build

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
If this were 1.0 I'd be chuckin bolts like I got the Zeus Juice in me :shopkeeper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to servers? I was doing a test run to make sure I was ready for tomorrow but I can’t connect, and according to some googling I’m not the only one today

I can't connect at all. Playing on ps4