Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

So the owner backed down to 10k. He doesn't have an agent though anymore. So im going to contact my lawyer Tuesday's to see if they can draw something up contigent on the county accepting the perc test.

In the very least it's a nice place to park my truck lol.

dude. people "back down" 10k on 200k properties, not 20k. you can't be this naïve...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hm. So I've run into some issues with completing the deal on the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a minor setback, really. I'll just need to remortgage the house to get the money needed for the down payment, but it should be smooth sailing from there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

schmug posted:

dude. people "back down" 10k on 200k properties, not 20k. you can't be this naïve...

Yet here we are.

And unfortunately this property, even at $20k, isn't worth the time to represent him by any actually experienced broker. It's also $4000 away from even having a clear title.....minimum...just from what we already know.

This is a property which is most often left to the county for unpaid taxes because it's just worth so much less than perfecting the title, removing the existing physical defects and getting zoning/perc done in a way that allows for permits.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Motronic posted:

This is a property which is most often left to the county for unpaid taxes because it's just worth so much less than perfecting the title, removing the existing physical defects and getting zoning/perc done in a way that allows for permits.
Ahh, real estate's version of the misspelled ebay auction. Everyone knows you find the best deals on those.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys do realize no normal real estate agent is going to work for a 3% or even a 6% commission on a $10k property, right?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You guys do realize no normal real estate agent is going to work for a 3% or even a 6% commission on a $10k property, right?

define "normal". there are plenty of people that won't step over an easy $300-600. he doesn't need to hire howard hanna or whoever the gently caress the big agent is in town

schmug
May 20, 2007

gently caress. Especially right now. On top of that the op has already showed that he is willing to throw money away on less than a handshake. wtf.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Plus gently caress all that! Where is my chisel plywood cutting video!?!?!?!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They're being scammed. At least give grovertruck a proper home that isn't built upon the bones of a bamboo field.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

Yet here we are.

And unfortunately this property, even at $20k, isn't worth the time to represent him by any actually experienced broker. It's also $4000 away from even having a clear title.....minimum...just from what we already know.

So you're about right. The survey probably did jump up from $3300 to over $4000 once I started asking for midpoints and easement. The $3300 covered splitting the parcel that has the owners house on it and recombining it with the parcel im putting the septic on if it get permitted. That was including having it cleared and recorded at the county. My real estate lawyer quoted me at $550 for title search, notorizing it, clearing it, and recording it (they don't accept external title searches, I asked). My company's legal insurance will pay for the $550 fee if I start building on it within a year.

This property isn't left to the county for unpaid taxes because the owner's house that he lives in is on it and part of someone's living room. That would cause a whole slew of problems for them if they didn't pay the taxes.

Also my accidental telescope arrived today 🔭.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

schmug posted:

Plus gently caress all that! Where is my chisel plywood cutting video!?!?!?!

Soon(tm) I have to find where my chisels ran off to cause I also need them to install the doors.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

It’s funny this isn’t the first time I’ve heard of chiseling plywood. I have a book on DIY hammock making written by some hippie who said he chiseled his first shuttle out of plywood for a purpose-made hammock loom. He then goes on to recommend the reader uses a coping saw.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Soon(tm) I have to find where my chisels ran off to cause I also need them to install the doors.

PM me an address. I will literally send you a set of bench chisels.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

kreeningsons posted:

It’s funny this isn’t the first time I’ve heard of chiseling plywood. I have a book on DIY hammock making written by some hippie who said he chiseled his first shuttle out of plywood for a purpose-made hammock loom. He then goes on to recommend the reader uses a coping saw.

The only way I can see a coping saw being useful is if you cut it out roughly square and just scallop small prices off so you can get the spine close enough to what you're doing like a jigsaw.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

schmug posted:

PM me an address. I will literally send you a set of bench chisels.

No need I have a decent set somewhere. Problem is we renovated the garage to have more storage. Now we need to know where we stored things.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

No need I have a decent set somewhere. Problem is we renovated the garage to have more storage. Now we need to know where we stored things.

Ok. Let me know if you can't find them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, I'm in Chattanooga. I drive the mountains along the state border fairly regularly. If you're in the western part of the state it wouldn't be much out the way to drop in on you now and then.

Don't know how much use I'd be, but I can be a set of hands on occasion. I do woodworking with powertools, so I'm The Enemy, but if you need some power tools for a day (and the power to run them), I could load a few in my wife's van and head over for a day or two. I'll dig up a 1500W generator if you need it to run them.

Just consider me an emergency resource when the hand tools ain't cutting it.

I won't push my services, just letting you know they're there if you decide you want to try them.

Peace, love, and hope to you, my friend. I hope things work out for you.

Note: From the outside, what you're doing with that land seems absurd. If it's cool to you and can make it work, good on ya. We're all skeptical, though. Hope you prove us wrong.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 27, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Just spoke with a realtor. There appears to be one more complication. The owner of the land has a lien on it for the manuhome he put on it in 2014. Sounds like he would have to refinance it to exclude the part I want to buy. Then I'd have to combine two parcels when I buy it. The good news is that him having a loan means the bank didn't have issue with the border dispute. So I can probably piggyback off that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

Just spoke with a realtor. There appears to be one more complication. The owner of the land has a lien on it for the manuhome he put on it in 2014. Sounds like he would have to refinance it to exclude the part I want to buy. Then I'd have to combine two parcels when I buy it. The good news is that him having a loan means the bank didn't have issue with the border dispute. So I can probably piggyback off that.

Yo, refinancing a home is not a quick process, and there's no guarantee he can even successfully do it.

Walk.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

walk.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Perhaps some music will help
https://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Well more unfortunate news. I accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it (Left my outlets on and the inverter drains the battery anyway.) And I'm too lazy to crank up the engine right now and don't want to wake the neighbors anyway. Luckily it's raining so it's going to stay roughly 39 throughout the night. So roughly 50-55 in the box so I should be good. Need a switch to disconnect everything so I don't accidently drain my battery in the future.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk

Edit: Stealie you son of a bitch

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Well, yours has the preview, so....pals? :respek:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Well, yours has the preview, so....pals? :respek:

:hfive: agreed

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Well more unfortunate news. I accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it (Left my outlets on and the inverter drains the battery anyway.) And I'm too lazy to crank up the engine right now and don't want to wake the neighbors anyway. Luckily it's raining so it's going to stay roughly 39 throughout the night. So roughly 50-55 in the box so I should be good. Need a switch to disconnect everything so I don't accidently drain my battery in the future.

You could die tonight without the CPAP, no?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

You could die tonight without the CPAP, no?

No. I dont require the cpap to live. I'm down to like 3 events an hour now without it. It's more to let me have a quality sleep as opposed to having a series of 20 minute naps. When I was put on it though I was having more than 6 an hour and at points it was like I was nearly having a heart attack each night my heart rate would spike to 180+. My overall health has improved since then. If I lose 20-30 more lbs I can probably come off it.

I also get few incidences in the box truck because of the humidity. So im rewarded for sleeping in the boxtruck as opposed to in my bosses house. It's still important for me to use it though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Perhaps some music will help
https://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk

I was thinking way more goth https://youtu.be/dxucr5TSxDg

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This is also a quality answer.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

I prefer my goth a little more modern.
https://youtu.be/RlxSYt9MBC8

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Not much to do with walking away like the last song. I dont normally listen to music, but this is my favorite song.

https://youtu.be/KquTFWUyboA

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

Also my accidental telescope arrived today 🔭.

why is there used kleenex under your telescope

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why is there used kleenex under your telescope

How excited would you be for a $3000 telescope?

Rytheric, let me share an example of being in your shoes, before I bought my current turdhouse I was looking at land to build on, had lots of stinkers, obvious bogs and whatnot, unusable poo poo.

One day I found my perfect plot of land, two heavily forested acres, about 1/4 mile up a dirt road from a large road with a good commute, two nice flat clearings among the giant stands of fir and maple, a stream that was just big enough to flow year-round, but small enough not to be protected flowing between them, the clearings were meadows made entirely of native wildflowers, it was like something from a dream, and right in my price window.

Spent a month doing due diligence on it, intending to buy, and found that the loving Navy dumped toxic waste nearby during WWII, and there was no way to drill a well, completely out of the question to put a house there.

I had to walk and was just crushed by the experience, I had, of course, spent a whole month dreaming of walking out on my patio surrounded by the hum of bees in the wildflowers, listening to the quiet burble of the stream flowing by, staring at the sun filtered through maple leaves. It's hard to let this poo poo go.

I ended up buying a house that's in about as good of shape as the one on the land you were buying, and it's actively killing me, but I still get to step out on my deck and watch the sun glint off the koi pond under the Alder trees, because I held out for something I could feasibly buy.

Trying to find a cheap, unloved, but viable plot of land is a tough loving process, keep trying and good luck.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Never ever let emotions dictate what you do when its money in thousands. You cannot let yourself get scammed on something that you are obviously not getting the full story on. Wash your hands and back away. go to a realtor and talk with them on because by loving god most realtors know people that have small parcels that can be developed. Don't try and DIY with things that can easily get you scammed like this or get you a property that literally is unusable and impossible to offload except to the next person that gets scammed.

You should be focusing first on your truck and getting it stable and set as a mobile home, fix the power situations and get some more power setup so you can have it more reliable right now, and while you do that slowly start talking with people and getting resources on what you need to do for due diligence. No one is going to be competing with you on small parcel properties unless your in a massive boom area where a dev is buying everything. very few people ever buy vacant land, no one wants the hassle of construction loans, getting utilities and the like, literally they'd rather have everything their ready to go and bulldoze and build. And they can just modify a building instead half the time. You need to back away and think and realize that your being taken for a ride by someone that has been loving you since the first day.

They keep changing poo poo on you dude, your being hosed in the rear end by people that think your a loving idiot, and probably paying off their drat taxes.

The easiest thing you could do? sheriff sales for vacant land would honestly be easier and less of a hassle.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rytheric posted:

Lmao

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Don't get too discouraged. Seems like the only sensible thing to do now is to offer the seller/realtor/owner/bank/neighbor $40,000 for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeah FIRST:
Get a realtor

SECOND:
Be ready to walk

THIRD:
Make an offer

FOURTH:
Make sure there’s no lien on the land (hint: there is)

FIFTH:
Walk and get a better piece of land for cheaper.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

There is almost zero chance the owner wouldn't remember a lien from seven years ago. Everything about the situation is sketchy as hell.
Based on that alone, you should walk.

The property itself is nothing but red flags, between all of the things you want to do and all of the things you will have to do, this will take far, far more time, effort, and money than you realize, and likely end up with property you will have a hard time selling down the road (I know that isn't a concern, but it is still something you need to think of as life changes and needs through life change). Based on all of those things alone, you should walk.

What I'm saying is you should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKYOWRJcJ2w

There will be other property. Property that doesn't have all the issues this one does, that doesn't have the legal complications this one does, being sold by people that are not most likely trying to scam you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

But don't you get it, this particular piece of shitproperty is just so close to his boat which is permanently stuck in that one lake and can never ever be moved to a different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It’s not like he has a truck that can haul a boat trailer or anything!