Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Escape from Tarkov having no voice or chat of any kind is probably a big part of why you don't get more varied confrontations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Phetz posted:

Anybody try Breathedge? I like the look and tone of what I've seen so far, and it seems pretty well received. Hoping to get goon opinions before I pull the trigger.

I don't have money for more games atm but definitely keeping an eye on this one. Something that looks a bit subnautica-ish but is space instead of deep sea is right up my alley.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Verviticus posted:

the pvp/pve debate cant really ever be truly fixed because the most fun you can have in a dedicated pvp game (or pve game with pvp) is just stomping all over people who do not want to pvp (diablo 2, ultima online, goofballs that think rust is friendly), and the best games are the one that have created a loop of pve that is fun and empowering enough that the latter people enjoy the process, can at least put a fight when they have to, or its rare enough that they spend enough time between incidents that they dont want to quit

Have you considered not getting your enjoyment from making other people miserable?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

packetmantis posted:

Have you considered not getting your enjoyment from making other people miserable?

That's a selection bias though. You don't play griefing games if you don't enjoy grinding. You aren't going to find a lot of folks playing Rust for the sake of the building mechanics, unless you are one of those reddit servers where conflict is banned unless you're personal friends with the mods

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up breathedge and I'm still in the tutorial basically but it's pretty neat so far. Definitely getting Subnautica vibes. It's actually getting some genuine laughs from me too with some of the gags.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I tried out DayZ again because it's been forever since that overhyped alpha mess and there was a recent update. It's such a weird game. It has all these complex survival mechanics that I find kind of interesting, but basically seem to get ignored where it's like some weird version of CS:GO where the buy round takes 3 hours. Maybe it's because I always get killed and never really experienced whatever late game is. I feel like there could be a really good PvE survival game in there if they tried. Doesn't seem to be any mods for it either. Everything seems to just be more items which actually makes it worse when there's 3 million different guns and you can't find a magazine and weapon that actually go together.

Another survival game I've been looking at is Subsistence. Anyone tried that one?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

You aren't going to find a lot of folks playing Rust for the sake of the building mechanics

I play these games because I like building and exploring and I loving hate griefers, thanks.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

packetmantis posted:

I play these games because I like building and exploring and I loving hate griefers, thanks.

:yeah:

There are so many games I'd love to just wander around, scavenge poo poo, and set up a little base in the woods, but they all have to go and slam that fuckin' "100% PVP and balanced for always online clans" button as hard as they absolutely can.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Same and I wonder if this is at least some minor part of Valheim’s overwhelming success - not being clan PvP.

E: not that it’s not popular, just that a lot of people were yearning for not clan-based PvP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

packetmantis posted:

I mean, you can, but you would be far better served playing any other game than something like Rust if you want to do that, because the game was built from the ground up around combat and destroying buildings. There are plenty of actual survival games with base building mechanics in this very thread, that is the pount.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

packetmantis posted:

not my problem

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone thinking of picking up Breathedge it's very much like Subnautica in space, with a few caveats:

1) It's linear. There is a "open world" area but you are limited by oxygen and available resources such that you basically have to follow a strict path. It has these series of zones where you get the right gear to explore that have a couple of main areas to explore/items to pickup and 5-10 side things to do, but it's still pretty linear.

2) This isn't a game where you establish a base and branch out from it. There is a base building system, but it's basically there two unlock two gear pieces, give you a way to unlock stuff you could find by exploring by paying a big price for it, and for something to do at the end when it basically becomes a free roam post-story thing. You're supposed to find or establish little beachheads (especially after your first two "bases" you progress through) figure out the objectives of the area, find the items you need to craft nearby, then progress forward. If you try to establish a centralized base you'll hate life. It's grindy, slow, and you'll often think "I just spend the last hour doing poo poo when I could have just came here and sped through it."

3) The survival stuff sucks and you shouldn't play with it. Yes I know this is the survival sim thread but it's really half pointless and half just annoying. Food/water is basically a non-issue after the very beginning, you'll encounter tons of food and water just progressing the story once your past the first chapter of the game. Oxygen definitely hits the intended mark of being a hard limiter, but it is so terrible. As you unlock bigger oxygen tanks the areas open up and get bigger, so even as you can move more without oxygen you take a lot longer to explore thus making it feel like you're not actually improving your capability very much. The end result is it feels the system exists to allow you to find a grind spot and grind out resources for longer periods without going back for oxygen. And it really sucks finding something cool only to have a short period to actually explore the area because of oxygen. And like food/water, you'll find a lot of oxygen cannisters you can use to replenish some oxygen as you progress but unlike food/water you'll burn through them like crazy and always feel rushed.

Plus, even if you disable the survival systems you still have equipment durability, so you'll still need to keep returning to your closest base to rebuild your tools. The oxygen system basically just adds an additional annoyance on top of that. And tool durability is really annoying as is. Edit: Also running in story mode with oxygen/food/water turned off you also still have health, heat/gold, and lightening damage.

4) It's very much not a serious game in terms of the story. It's sort of half teenage irreverent humor and half parody of the genre. I've seen a lot people describe it as edgy but it's not really that, it's more just upbeat juvenile humor around the grim theme of being stranded in space and trying to reach safety. I've seen a lot people say they really hate it but it's not inherently terrible (not particularly great either) and most of the time easily ignored.

nessin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 27, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Sounds exactly what I expected it to be.
Thanks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, you can, but you would be far better served playing any other game than something like Rust if you want to do that, because the game was built from the ground up around combat and destroying buildings. There are plenty of actual survival games with base building mechanics in this very thread, that is the pount.

Incidentally, a recent update in SCUM added PVE zones as server admin options, which got the raiding crowd in an uproar - how dare these people play the game as a carebear land instead of having their bases constantly destroyed and loot stolen! Even though it's a server side option and you can certainly choose you server.

I think it's a great option, you can spend time building your base in a certain area and still venture out the PVE zone for some PVP if you so desire. You just don't get your hard work building a base completely wiped out because someone decided to blow it up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did they actually ever add NPCs/bots that weren't NotZombies? lol.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

VegasGoat posted:

I tried out DayZ again because it's been forever since that overhyped alpha mess and there was a recent update. It's such a weird game. It has all these complex survival mechanics that I find kind of interesting, but basically seem to get ignored where it's like some weird version of CS:GO where the buy round takes 3 hours. Maybe it's because I always get killed and never really experienced whatever late game is. I feel like there could be a really good PvE survival game in there if they tried. Doesn't seem to be any mods for it either. Everything seems to just be more items which actually makes it worse when there's 3 million different guns and you can't find a magazine and weapon that actually go together.

Another survival game I've been looking at is Subsistence. Anyone tried that one?

There are mods. Modded servers. You need those because the game is rear end as is. Head into the DayZ thread for folks to play with or server recs and you might have a better time.

I don't have time for it so all I have is the word of goons that it's better now (with mods) but it sure has sucked for a large part of its development.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did they actually ever add NPCs/bots that weren't NotZombies? lol.

Nope, the game is still not even 0.5 though. I think the future plan is to start adding PVE content like NPC's, traders, kill patrols etc. after that. (but as usual with SCUM development, it's a lengthy process)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I have to say, I'm really not impressed with Breathedge and I'm struggling to continue much farther, and I think I'm still very early on.

This is just personal taste, but I really hate this style of humour, this cross between edgy "Let's have a legit reference to the Salisbury Novichok poisoning" and the "penguinofdoom *holds up spork* lol random" crap. I'd have found it amazing and funny when I was a teenager, but the developers winking and nudging at dumb useless time wasting stuff by deliberately making you do it, while calling it "Dumb useless time wasting" is not funny, its a bad omen for things to come regarding how well the game respects your time. I don't even hate all of the humour, many of the visual gags are legit hilarious, like the positions and poses of many of the dead bodies you find and some of the dialogue. It reminds me of the style of in-group reference humour in bad Steam Greenlight games.

But I'd handle it if the mechanics weren't severely testing my patience. You need tools to gather resources, like the scrapper, and its durability is atrocious. You spend so much of your time bungee-ing between your initial base and resource sites trying to grab what you can, constantly needing to rebuild your basic tools. Best I can tell, there's no resource respawning either so the game has a slow death march to depletion which always sucks in survival sandboxes. I think I'm on my second(?) oxygen upgrade and it's still not enough to get things done. You need to rely on oxygen stations, basically big air balloons you can deploy and also refill with oxygen rechargers which I'm sure is how you're expected to progress further from your base, but they rely on oxygen candles, a valuable consumable resource that refills your oxygen partially, so I never ever want to use one.

I've not gotten a vehicle or access to base building yet but I'm not sure I want to bother continuing. I've been playing for over 7 hours now and I don't know if steam will accept a refund at this point, otherwise I might as well just try and get my money out of it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PiCroft posted:

You need to rely on oxygen stations, basically big air balloons you can deploy and also refill with oxygen rechargers which I'm sure is how you're expected to progress further from your base, but they rely on oxygen candles, a valuable consumable resource that refills your oxygen partially, so I never ever want to use one.

If you're using oxygen candles for oxygen, that's a horrible waste of resources. You can get 40 oxygen from one candle, or 500 by crafting it into a station.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Ambaire posted:

If you're using oxygen candles for oxygen, that's a horrible waste of resources. You can get 40 oxygen from one candle, or 500 by crafting it into a station.

True, something I hadn't figured out until id aleady burned half a dozen before discovering the oxygen station schematic.

e: I might not have been clear in my op, i meant that after discovering the oxygen station, i never wanted to use any oxygen candles because of how valuable they are.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 27, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For any Breathedge players, if you want to skip the starting grind and jump straight into a decent resource stockpile at the Engineering shuttle past the captains bridge (start of act 2), here's my Chicken Adventures save. Total playtime: ~2.5 hours, with the military oxygen cylinder and the vacuum cleaner vehicle. You want to put this in the steamapps\common\Breathedge\Breathedge\Saved\SaveGames directory.

Or, if you want to jump directly into Chapter 4, Here's a save for that. Exit the vehicle, go to the Normandy, interact with the steering wheel and select the next area then activate. You can still explore the Chapters 1-3 area if you want.

e. Chicken Adventures is on the Impossible difficulty, so you would only have one life; the other save is on the normal difficulty.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 27, 2021

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Agreed on the Breathedge comments, the ambiance, the gameplay, the essential oxygen mechanic ... it feels like its all almost there but not quite in a really noticeable way. I don't think its a question of added development time either but of basic decisions. It's not a bad game and I think with minimal changes it could be great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am enjoying it so far but it is quickly becoming clear that it's far more linear than Subnautica. Definitely just finding the thing that lets me get to the next farthest area which lets me find a thing that lets me get to another area.. That's not to say Subnautica didn't rougly follow this formula, but there's no reason to hang around in this one. I don't hate it but Subnautica in space, it ain't.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

There are mods. Modded servers. You need those because the game is rear end as is. Head into the DayZ thread for folks to play with or server recs and you might have a better time.

I don't have time for it so all I have is the word of goons that it's better now (with mods) but it sure has sucked for a large part of its development.

Sorry I meant there didn't seem to be mods that add any kind of PvE game. Yeah playing with goons usually makes every game better.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PiCroft posted:

I have to say, I'm really not impressed with Breathedge and I'm struggling to continue much farther, and I think I'm still very early on.

This is just personal taste, but I really hate this style of humour, this cross between edgy "Let's have a legit reference to the Salisbury Novichok poisoning" and the "penguinofdoom *holds up spork* lol random" crap. I'd have found it amazing and funny when I was a teenager, but the developers winking and nudging at dumb useless time wasting stuff by deliberately making you do it, while calling it "Dumb useless time wasting" is not funny, its a bad omen for things to come regarding how well the game respects your time. I don't even hate all of the humour, many of the visual gags are legit hilarious, like the positions and poses of many of the dead bodies you find and some of the dialogue. It reminds me of the style of in-group reference humour in bad Steam Greenlight games.

But I'd handle it if the mechanics weren't severely testing my patience. You need tools to gather resources, like the scrapper, and its durability is atrocious. You spend so much of your time bungee-ing between your initial base and resource sites trying to grab what you can, constantly needing to rebuild your basic tools. Best I can tell, there's no resource respawning either so the game has a slow death march to depletion which always sucks in survival sandboxes. I think I'm on my second(?) oxygen upgrade and it's still not enough to get things done. You need to rely on oxygen stations, basically big air balloons you can deploy and also refill with oxygen rechargers which I'm sure is how you're expected to progress further from your base, but they rely on oxygen candles, a valuable consumable resource that refills your oxygen partially, so I never ever want to use one.

I've not gotten a vehicle or access to base building yet but I'm not sure I want to bother continuing. I've been playing for over 7 hours now and I don't know if steam will accept a refund at this point, otherwise I might as well just try and get my money out of it.

Yeah, I played it just over an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, but the humor was a total miss for me and there's so many better survival games I could be spending my time on. The thing I bolded in your quote was kind of the last straw for me -- lampshading the fact that your game has pointless time sinks in it while making me do a pointless time sink doesn't make it any better.

I took the refund money from it and bought myself Space Engineers instead :unsmith:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Breathedge looks beautiful, and then the story starts, and with it, the humor. It's been a very long time since I've found something so extremely incompatible with what I consider humor to be. If you're anything like me, you'll find it unbearable both for the content and for the incessant barrage of it.

Also, playing on a controller had some paper cuts:
- In a game where you'll probably be doing a lot of crafting, you have to manually move around the mouse cursor with a stick and click on the crafting tabs to switch between them. And the cursor for some reason has inertia!!
- In most games, B on a controller serves the same function as Escape on keyboard to exit out of menus or go back. Here it drops items.
- The movement with a controller seemed way too sensitive, felt like ice skating in zero G. I've played quite a few games in space recently and this is not an issue I ever remember having.

I didn't play for long enough to get a good overview of the progression but even in the early minutes it seemed like they're going to lean heavily into making you work hard for every scrap of resource and I've heard crafted items break often. The default oxygen level is so low that any exploration gets cut short so fast it feels like it's just artificially stretching the game time.

In short, I didn't like it at all.

e: grammar

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 1, 2021

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah I tried to play it as well, and ended up giving up. I didn't find the humor very interesting, and at one point I got stuck in some geometry, couldn't get out, said "fuckit" and deleted the game.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I think what drove me to give up was that the humour was so perfunctory when it came to dialogue, where your suit does most of the “””funny””” talking, but because it deliberately speaks so fast and I’m usually desperately trying to gather crap or spot useful things that I rarely catch what it’s saying at the time, leaving any potential comedic timing lost.

Also, if your video game humour treats the game itself with a complete lack of seriousness and constantly breaks the fourth wall to laugh at itself, it breaks any possible immersion. Such humour is fine in Stanley Parable, but in a game that clearly had a lot of visual effort put into making a beautiful and haunting place, it drives me up the wall how much the game seems to hold its own story and setting in contempt. If the game openly shits on itself, refuses to take any aspect of the game seriously and treats itself like the dickhead behind you in the cinema constantly making unfunny jokes and refusing to engage, why should I?

Since that eliminates the story and immersion, that only leaves the raw mechanics which as I said are really bland and not worth the effort. Subnautica is really poor comparison for this game, even though I can understand why it’s made. Subnautica had subtle comedy but took itself seriously enough to let me sink (heh) into its world and exploration and discovery was an intrinsic part of the design.

Such a waste :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah after my initial somewhat positive reaction to Breathedge I got to a point where the tedium really took over and I'm not sure I'll be going back to it after getting about 4 hours in. I didn't hate the oxygen situation when you're collecting junk around your pod but venturing out requires you to put down a series of oxygen balloons along the way, and the items take up so much space in your inventory that usually you can only bring one at a time. The constant need to float back home because I was missing just enough oxygen to get me to the next area was driving me up a wall. Even with the fart gas propellant thing you get, it still took forever. It seems like there's no inertia in the game, meaning you have to constantly hold W to float instead of being able to build up speed and let go while you fly across the world.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

I didn't mind the humor in Breathedge, it's not great, but it could get a smile from me occasionally, and although it was annoying sometimes, it never drove me over the edge.

My biggest issue with Breathedge is that it pulls the rug out from underneath you about 3/4's of the way through the game. You've got this subpar Subnautica-in-Space thing going on, and it starts letting you build bases and such, which seems like it will eventually be fun to mess around with, once you start getting more and more blueprints... But, it never does anything with them. Subnautica let's you build things that help you out, sonar stations, upgrade areas for your vehicles, fun aquariums, etc. etc. Breathedge lets you build some empty rooms that you get to wander around in, and then the tech tree drops off and you never get anything interesting to fill them out.

And then, my Survivor Game Aficionados, you get into the 4th chapter after 7-10 hours of surviving and resource collecting, and it turns into a walking simulator where you run up a long, twisting corridor, scan a blueprint, run back to your ship, build the doohickey, run all the way back through the twisty corridors and use said item. That's it, for the next 2-4 hours of the game, with the same meh humor. I can't believe they spent all this dev time building up all these set-pieces just to throw dialogue at you as you run back and forth.

If you did enjoy/tolerate the first chunk of the game, you'll be absurdly bored at the end game as you are innundated with exposition, a few lackluster cutscenes and a cut to credits.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I just finished Breathedge, and man so much of it was "this might be an interesting system if it didn't waste so goddamned much of my time." I started thinking of it as "Sub-par-tica."

* Time gathering resources and trying to find a way to store them because the game doesn't want to give you access to anything but the most bare storage.
* Time spent just slowly moving from one place to another, because it turns out I need more of a specific resource or NOW I can get past an obstacle, and the exhaust/vacuum only goes so fast
* Time spent building a base that I never used, because by the time I could build it, it was the point in the story to abandon the area and move on
* And then the last third of the game which, as Varsity says, was just walking down corridors, picking stuff up, and walking back down corridors to drop it off on the ship or make a tool because my old one ran out of durability

I really don't understand why the ending was such a switch - did they run out of early access money, or did COVID force them to cut back, or what? But it was such an absolute drop in what quality there was.

And yeah, to echo all of the points above - the humor was more miss than hit (though one of the ending sequences was such a beautiful lampshade it got a genuine laugh out of me*), the suit AI/narrator voice was so goddamned fast and frenetic that I missed a bunch of what he said or meant (not helped by message triggers running over each other because I wandered past an area too fast), and it just tries to be exactly Subnautica without ever asking itself "why was Subnautica interesting and fun" or "what could we do to be better than Subnautica?"

I bought it in early access and figured that since I couldn't return it, I might as well finish it. That was probably a bad idea.

* Ending movie joke spoiler: You and your little ship get into a terrible crash as everything goes wrong when you escape the remains of the gigantic space liner you were traveling upon, and you wake up on the floor of your ship, slowly drag yourself up the rung ladder, push open the airlock door and exit to slowly reveal [i]you're floating in the ocean and slowly pan up to see the wreckage of the space liner in the middle of the ocean in the exact same way you do at the beginning of Subnautica, and between how well it was executed and the sheer audacity of them making a joke reference to a game they copied pretty much all of the mechanics of, well, I laughed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SCUM is on sale for -40% until the 8th and at 14,99 it's really a bargain. Obviously early access bugs lacking content yada yada but I've certainly got my moneys' worth from it already.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How's Seven Days to Die these days? Is it worth playing? Is it still ugly as sin with a terrible UI or did it ever get past the Early Access Survival aesthetic?

TeaJay posted:

SCUM is on sale for -40% until the 8th and at 14,99 it's really a bargain. Obviously early access bugs lacking content yada yada but I've certainly got my moneys' worth from it already.
I've heard mixed things about SCUM but honestly I don't know much about it. What's the most similar comparison, RUST?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

How's Seven Days to Die these days? Is it worth playing? Is it still ugly as sin with a terrible UI or did it ever get past the Early Access Survival aesthetic?

I've heard mixed things about SCUM but honestly I don't know much about it. What's the most similar comparison, RUST?

Probably. I have little knowledge of other games of this type, although I did play DayZ for a bit last year. The premise is that you're a participant in a reality TV show where you and a bunch of other prisoners are sent on a battle royale type situation on an island but ultimately try to co-operate and escape the island by removing your control unit (BCU chip planted in the back of your head).

However, at this stage of development none of this backstory is relevant to the gameplay yet and they're in the process of adding features. Only thing that reminds of the lore is the little silver drone flying around and recording you while you take a dump in the bushes.

The devs plan a very elaborate and ambitious metabolism and survival mechanic including diseases, medical, injuries and nutrition/water and some of this is already present. A long term project has been to overhaul the metabolism system to what they've envisioned and it sounds like they're finally getting close of releasing the first iteration of it. The development is very active (albeit slow) but there's constantly new updates and currently they're gearing up for a big update for v0.5 which will add a lot of new stuff like fishing, boating and a map expansion (+ probably other stuff too) so it's a good time to nab the game IMO.

So far the PVE side of things is more or less non-existant. There are no NPCs, traders, TEC-1 (the megacorporation organizing the TV show) kill patrols, events (again, all of this is planned) ... but that's not to say there are no enemies. The "zombies" of this game are players who have died and are now re-animated as puppets, and there are big mechs guarding the high profile POI's like the airports and naval base. Most people play the game nowadays as a PVP game where you build your fort (or claim an existing pre-fab house) and roam around trying not to die to wildlife (wolves are vicious) or puppets and find better gear to raid the forts of other players - or generally just survive. A lot of people don't really care about raiding at all.

As to why you'd want to play SCUM, well, the survival system even as bare bones is pretty fun. The environment is absolutely beautiful and realistic, the gunplay beats the competitors and the animations are fluid. It's completely viable to play as a survivalist, hide around and ambush others who like the more guns-blazing playstyle.

I feel like the game should be played a normal or a lower level loot server so that you're not swarmed with military gear immediately. However others use it as a looter-shooter BR type of game on MAX LOOT servers, which to me kinda defeats the purpose. Or at least it has potential for so much more, if/when they elaborate on the medical/survival side of things.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 2, 2021

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I've only ever really played it single player - it's still pretty ugly but it's worth playing. The UI is pretty poor, but it's not too complicated so the learning curve is easy.

Most of the gameplay loop is venturing out to ruined buildings to get resources and weapons, but you also spend time throughout take some time to build a base. Every 7 hours (1 day=60 minutes real time at default settings) you defend your base against a zombie horde. Combat is a large part of the game - each zombie is fairly tough so at the beginning it's difficult to directly take on more than like 2 at the same time without kiting. The loot table levels up as the player does so you do advance from clubs and bows to rifles and machine guns.

Crafting/mining/basebuilding is also a huge part of the game. The fact that you have to defend the base on a predictable schedule makes the building part goal-oriented and fun. In addition to new weapons and armor, progression also unlocks things that help the looting and building phases of the game, like building a humvee, a helicopter, a cement mixer, and a chainsaw.

I'd say give it a try, and at least give it until the first zombie horde.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

7D2D is definitely worth playing. It's got a good gameplay loop that keeps me hooked. You work on your base some, set a bunch of resources to craft, go out and take down a POI, come back with more/better stuff when the resources should be finished, upgrade the base, repeat. I really enjoy the POIs though. They're all different, and the sleeping zombies strategically placed keep you on your toes. You can do stealth or assault, fight fair or not. The loot and the zombie hordes leveling up as you do is a nice progression, so you're always upgrading your base with newer and better defenses. You can cheese the horde (or disable it) it if you want. The zombies aren't hard (in the beginning), but you'll find they sometimes corner you or sneak up on you if you're not careful.

It's also got a bunch of cool mods. Ravenhearst, Darkness Falls, and Undead Legacy are the big ones, which each do something different. I've only tried UL so far, which is basically GregTech where it adds weight and makes the recipes more complicated and adds a bunch of different crafting stations where you're mostly relying on loot drops and specializing in certain things, and can't really build a fortified base right away so you're pushed into holing up in a POI for the first few horde nights.

The only downside is travel times getting around. I usually play on servers for that reason, since most let you set up a few teleport locations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

7D2D recently (in the last six months or so) had a couple month stint as the flavor of the month in a Discord group I'm involved in and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

My biggest gripe was the food economy, since it seems you're required to eat like 10000 calories a day to survive. But besides that it was a ton of fun specializing and setting up bases for the next blood moon night.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've played 7D2D a few times solo and generally enjoyed myself but that was a few years ago so maybe I should check it out again. I wish I could convince some of my buds to check it out with me but I think the graphics turn pretty much everyone off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I just finished Breathedge, and man so much of it was "this might be an interesting system if it didn't waste so goddamned much of my time." I started thinking of it as "Sub-par-tica."

* Time gathering resources and trying to find a way to store them because the game doesn't want to give you access to anything but the most bare storage.
* Time spent just slowly moving from one place to another, because it turns out I need more of a specific resource or NOW I can get past an obstacle, and the exhaust/vacuum only goes so fast
* Time spent building a base that I never used, because by the time I could build it, it was the point in the story to abandon the area and move on
* And then the last third of the game which, as Varsity says, was just walking down corridors, picking stuff up, and walking back down corridors to drop it off on the ship or make a tool because my old one ran out of durability

I really don't understand why the ending was such a switch - did they run out of early access money, or did COVID force them to cut back, or what? But it was such an absolute drop in what quality there was.

And yeah, to echo all of the points above - the humor was more miss than hit (though one of the ending sequences was such a beautiful lampshade it got a genuine laugh out of me*), the suit AI/narrator voice was so goddamned fast and frenetic that I missed a bunch of what he said or meant (not helped by message triggers running over each other because I wandered past an area too fast), and it just tries to be exactly Subnautica without ever asking itself "why was Subnautica interesting and fun" or "what could we do to be better than Subnautica?"

I bought it in early access and figured that since I couldn't return it, I might as well finish it. That was probably a bad idea.

* Ending movie joke spoiler: You and your little ship get into a terrible crash as everything goes wrong when you escape the remains of the gigantic space liner you were traveling upon, and you wake up on the floor of your ship, slowly drag yourself up the rung ladder, push open the airlock door and exit to slowly reveal [i]you're floating in the ocean and slowly pan up to see the wreckage of the space liner in the middle of the ocean in the exact same way you do at the beginning of Subnautica, and between how well it was executed and the sheer audacity of them making a joke reference to a game they copied pretty much all of the mechanics of, well, I laughed.

How long did it take to finish and why didn't you stop earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Within the last year they did a zombie model revamp and are going more for the realism aspect than weird zombie joke things. I also think they improved the overall models, but I could be wrong.

I have played 7 Days a lot, it's definitely been a good grabber. It plays decently well as solo, but can be a fair bit of fun in a group. Base building can be great and I love playing HGTV but with zombies, though if you go for the harder difficulties dealing with the 7 day hordes can sometimes leave you either dying often or trying to cheese them when some of the more ridiculous "this cancels this aspect players used to deal with a horde" mechanic (speedy vultures, demolishers)... or just be a better player than I am, ha.

The game loop was also recently changed with the addition of trader quests, so setting up shop near a trader and running quests for them - digging up a chest in a random dirt patch, clearing a POI, finding supplies at a POI - is a great way to level up and make money.

I've found the most fun playing it at 25% loot, 2nd highest difficulty, 7 day horde off to play more of the survival aspect. I otherwise think the game throws resources and food at you, but given the prep needed for the 7 day hordes it does make some sense.

Farming/food making is also more varied and interesting now, they appear to have taken some stuff from Darkness Falls mod (which is also quite interesting).

If you want a zombie survival game that's big on being a badass zombie killing machine, 7 Days is your game.