Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've put like 150 hours into this game over the last 6 months and I still die to old knights in Heidi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you advance the time clock on your PC they die of old age.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The regular size white Heide knights are harder than the giant knights to me, there is something about their attack pattern or range that throws me off compared to most enemies.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

all right, thanks to the advice, was able to speedrun and get the uchigata and upgrade it to +6. Gonna grab a rapier as well and maybe a falchion to try them out. Now all I need is a good dex blunt weapon. Any suggestions for that?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I still die to aurotarget aiming me off a dock in Wharf

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Item Getter posted:

The regular size white Heide knights are harder than the giant knights to me, there is something about their attack pattern or range that throws me off compared to most enemies.

they're absolutely supposed to be, they're basically minibosses while the big ones are just big regular enemies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Item Getter posted:

They're basically this game's black/silver knights, and their moveset was specifically designed to counter the usual strats people used on those, like backstabbing or fishing for parries.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress it, i'm down. Can't believe this game came out almost 7 years ago

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still remember staying up all night for the Network test, trying for an hour to get in before they canceled it, and then doing it again the next week. I was so Exhausted at work the next day but it was worth it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

For all of you with choice paralysis for weapon loadouts, remember that you have six hand slots, and left hand has almost all of the weapon functionality as the right. Level ups and upgrade items come quick in DS2, and you get a pretty decent number of respecs, so do what I do and fill every weapon slot up. Embrace the swiss army knife of murder! :black101:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sir Tonk posted:

I can't connect at all. Playing on ps4

Same here. Can’t believe Return to Drangleic is such a hit that it takes down the servers!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Welp, my knifecrime run got the old whip first try from the crows.

This is now a Castlevania run.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Meet my handsome punch son, Jay Punchman. Currently powerstancing an empty fist and a caestus

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

axolotl farmer posted:

Same here. Can’t believe Return to Drangleic is such a hit that it takes down the servers!

Funny thing was, I tested dark souls 3 to see if it was just the game and it's down too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

loved that guy

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Now all I need is a good dex blunt weapon. Any suggestions for that?

Partizan. The R2s with the wide swings deal blunt damage. Sorry, no dex-maces, silly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Barbed club is probably as close as you can get to a dex mace. The actual dex scaling is poor but bleed scales with dex at least.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

all right, thanks to the advice, was able to speedrun and get the uchigata and upgrade it to +6. Gonna grab a rapier as well and maybe a falchion to try them out. Now all I need is a good dex blunt weapon. Any suggestions for that?

Raw enhance the Craftsman hammer from Duff. That's how I usually get my blunt damage going until the endgame.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

A caestus in one hand isn't bad, either. It scales with dex and str, so you can treat it like some brass knucks you keep in your pocket to finish things off.

There's also the Bone Fist, which is stronger but has higher requirements and appears much later in the game. Might be fun if it shows up in an item randomizer, tho!

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
the servers are still down on ps4/5? jesus

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Hilarious but unfortunate that the servers can't deal with the rush, because apparently I suck at this game and can't get past the fucken Pursuer in Forest in Fallen Giants, even though I just finished DS1 like 2 weeks ago.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Appoda posted:

A caestus in one hand isn't bad, either. It scales with dex and str, so you can treat it like some brass knucks you keep in your pocket to finish things off.

There's also the Bone Fist, which is stronger but has higher requirements and appears much later in the game. Might be fun if it shows up in an item randomizer, tho!

Offhand cestus also has parry, which is not as good as it is in DS3 but is still pretty good

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Meet my handsome punch son, Jay Punchman. Currently powerstancing an empty fist and a caestus

I love it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glimpse posted:

Hilarious but unfortunate that the servers can't deal with the rush, because apparently I suck at this game and can't get past the fucken Pursuer in Forest in Fallen Giants, even though I just finished DS1 like 2 weeks ago.

Pursuer was consistently the hardest base game boss for me. I have no idea why.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pursuer is one of the enemies for whom strike damage is most useful. He laughs at your puny longsword+1

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Still loling at the 19 hour mauler video reply video to hbomberguys dark souls 2 video, where mauler is complaining about the coop dlc area being too hard.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Went on for a little bit this morning. I've already co-op killed Pursuer, Last Giant, and Dragonrider. Pretty neat. People are really out there, dropping signs left and right. Been pretty fun.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

skasion posted:

Pursuer is one of the enemies for whom strike damage is most useful. He laughs at your puny longsword+1

Pursuer is one of the enemies whom you bait to the entrance, get him to commit to an attack, then you run past him and blow him away with a ballista in 5 seconds.

It's the refights where you can't cheese it where he gets rough.

To be fair also, if you're running dex, pierce works pretty well on a lot of the super heavy armor bosses like Pursuer, Looking Glass Knight, and the like. It won't completely demolish them like maces and clubs can, but still.

It's kind of hilarious to the degree to which this game punishes slashing damage. There's a couple bosses it works great on like Covetous Demon, but this game is pretty harsh on NPC enemies and the armor/absorbtion curves.

I gave up on using the basic bitch daggers because it's not terribly fun chipping enemies to death 20 hp at a time. I switched to rapiers but it's kind of broken in the other direction where I just steamroll everything and its getting boring. Getting the old whip is kind of meh because it seems like it breaks after killing 4 or 5 enemies though it's super hilarious for that time before it breaks.

I just killed the medusa boss, so I've got the claws from the ladder guy. I might key up a poison/bleed fightclaw set, get the rat and blood rings, and try my hand at status effects for a while.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DeathSandwich posted:

I gave up on using the basic bitch daggers because it's not terribly fun chipping enemies to death 20 hp at a time.

Just slashing with a plain dagger isn't what it's there for. You can either powerstance 2 for stunlock potential, or use it for its intended purpose and get massive crit damage.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PS4 servers still down. Get your poo poo together, Sony. :saddowns:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Paracelsus posted:

Just slashing with a plain dagger isn't what it's there for. You can either powerstance 2 for stunlock potential, or use it for its intended purpose and get massive crit damage.

Problem being that most things you'd really want to crit can't be parried or backstabbed. Looking at you turtle knight.

Its weird, because coming from Dark Souls 3, they just did their daggers way better. Yeah the basic dagger in that game was also there for ripostes and backstabs, but you also had early access to the Dark Souls 3 Bandit Knives that scaled pretty well to stats, had higher base damage and had bleed in exchange for lower crit and riposte damage so you could get your fightknife on. The Brigand's twindaggers also were a joy to use with a hollow build and resins because the knife crimes just don't stop.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc
Weird, can connect fine on xbox but it's been down for over a day on ps4

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DeathSandwich posted:

Problem being that most things you'd really want to crit can't be parried or backstabbed. Looking at you turtle knight.

Backstabs with a dagger are how I got through the super-magic-resistant Lion Tribe dudes in Shaded Woods as a glass cannon sorcerer. I don't think I'd even upgraded the thing and it still wrecked them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been trying out the rapier in no man's wharf as everyone says it's great, but it really sucks against the big group of hollowed in the shacks at the bottom of the stairs.

Everything people say about ds2 being full of bs gank squads is super true. It feels like every building or wall has a hidden enemy who wil jump on you.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

My only wish is that you could co-op forever.

Also shout out to the player who black crystaled me after I shot them with the ballista in the dark room by Pate.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it consistently tilts me that pursuer is a parryable boss but one of his parryable attacks(dash into swing) has this weird issue where if you're locked on and you parry while he's doing that move, a lot of the time your character will just swivel to face the side and miss the parry

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

pointsofdata posted:

I've been trying out the rapier in no man's wharf as everyone says it's great, but it really sucks against the big group of hollowed in the shacks at the bottom of the stairs.

Everything people say about ds2 being full of bs gank squads is super true. It feels like every building or wall has a hidden enemy who wil jump on you.

It's super hard to do no lock on combat with the rapier and it sucks rear end at fighting groups.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Reality Protester posted:

I've put like 150 hours into this game over the last 6 months and I still die to old knights in Heidi

You should do a run with a greatshield and just strafe right around enemies (and also bosses). Youll find a whole lot of attack patterns that cant even hit you, like the three hit combo from the old knights with swords.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The pursuer is so slow you can often just walk around his attacks without much difficulty. I suck at parrying but years of this game has taught me spacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pointsofdata posted:

It's really more of a SOTFS thing than a Dark Souls 2 thing. SOTFS is basically Dark Souls 2 Master Quest and it's a lot harder in a lot of ways. Problem being I think you can only get SOTFS on the PS4/Xbone, baseline DS2 was only on PS3/360/PC