Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Only 27 characters? I wonder who won't make the cut. I know they said nothing past Honnoji, but honestly I'm way less familiar with the timeline of the Sengoku period stuff than I am with the Three Kingdoms stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Only 27 characters? I wonder who won't make the cut. I know they said nothing past Honnoji, but honestly I'm way less familiar with the timeline of the Sengoku period stuff than I am with the Three Kingdoms stuff.

I'm also not so familiar with it, or the SW series in general, but if my math and history are right, it might mean no Yukimura Sanada, since according to the ten seconds I spent googling he was only 15 when nobunaga died, and probably hadn't fought in any heroic battles at that point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everyone who never met nobunaga and friends isn't making the cut, which makes for a lot of people. the southerners like tachibana, the hojos from kanto etc

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Davincie posted:

everyone who never met nobunaga and friends isn't making the cut, which makes for a lot of people. the southerners like tachibana, the hojos from kanto etc

Games > Dynasty/Samurai/Anime Warriors: SW5 Nobunaga and Pretty Boy Friends (No Hojo)

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Good to see Yoshimoto's been working out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really like the look of the game. Looks a lot like the new Samurai Shodown.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I hope Ashikaga Yoshiteru is in the roster and that he is absolutely terrifying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

Good to see Yoshimoto's been working out.

He's certainly... something in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAHDuhpwlE

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I found myself picking up 8XL again on PC recently and it's still pretty fun. I also have SW4-II but something about the default camera position in it bugs the hell out of me.

I hope SW5 is good, but I'll wait for some kind of complete or definitive edition because of course there will be one.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yoshimoto, Hideyoshi, and Katsuie stand out I think as clear design wins.

Still kinda :shrug: on Nobu

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 27, 2021

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a pre-order bonus for SW5 where you get the classic costumes for Nobunaga and Mitsuhide and I really like them. Maybe Nobu will grow into it?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
aren't old costumes been eternally DLC options since DW7?

Also I didn't really spot Hideyoshi or Katsuie in the trailer? No, Ranmaru, some of the completely new characters caught my eye but nothing that struck me as either of those two.

BillyC posted:

this looks pretty cool, I hope Nobunga's true best buddy, Yasuke, shows up in this one.

I think Koei is too cowardly to be honest. It's a cool story that someone could have a lot of fun with - especially since Samurai Warriors isn't beholden to existing fiction like DW is. He's a former slave explicitly - Nobunaga likely purchased him from the Portuguese - another element that's usually left out of the games narrative.(barring 4 which I haven't caught up with yet). Sengoku Basara does oddly touch on it with the whole Xavism madness,

But slave, ties to the west, and black guy who historically gets treated really loving weird at times and partially outright racistly (some legends have him spared after Honnoji because Mitsuhide deems him a beast), it just strikes me as something Koei wants to avoid. Not to mention the nerd kneejerk of response of "BLACK GUY?!? IN MY SAMURAI VIDEO GAME", but eh. He does pop up in Nobunaga's Ambition and apparently is in Nioh made by the Tecmo side of things. Something about the Warriors games seems sanitized to me though.

For those curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 27, 2021

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

NameHurtBrain posted:

I think Koei is too cowardly to be honest. It's a cool story that someone could have a lot of fun with - especially since Samurai Warriors isn't beholden to existing fiction like DW is. He's a former slave explicitly - Nobunaga likely purchased him from the Portuguese - another element that's usually left out of the games narrative.(barring 4 which I haven't caught up with yet). Sengoku Basara does oddly touch on it with the whole Xavism madness,

But slave, ties to the west, and black guy who historically gets treated really loving weird at times and partially outright racistly (some legends have him spared after Honnoji because Mitsuhide deems him a beast), it just strikes me as something Koei wants to avoid. Not to mention the nerd kneejerk of response of "BLACK GUY?!? IN MY SAMURAI VIDEO GAME", but eh. He does pop up in Nobunaga's Ambition and apparently is in Nioh made by the Tecmo side of things. Something about the Warriors games seems sanitized to me though.

For those curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

You're probably not wrong but him showing up in Nioh was what made me hopeful. His story is just one of those weird and fascinating historical anecdotes. He's so intertwined with the period that his exclusion just looks stranger as time passes and mre people learn about him. The predictable nerd kneejerk reaction would be funny to watch tho as many weebs learn the first foreign samurai was a black dude.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
People have been gushing about Nagoriyuki in Guilty Gear Strive even before we knew his name. I hope we can handle Yasuke without a shitstorm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The people that will give a shitstorm was going to do it regardless.

The real question is, will we get mama raikou like nioh 2

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, I feel you, Persona 5 Strikers.

I set the game to Hard not thinking much about it cause Warriors game and Persona game and the finale of the second day of the first dungeon promptly handed me my rear end between the Prostitute's huge melee attacks and Brainjack whirlwind that basically mulches any character caught in it if you don't IMMEDIATELY cancel it with an Electric or Bless attack followed right after by the Protector with the massive homing light attacks you gotta bait out and large spawns including MORE succubi who've proven to be the most dangerous normal enemy by leagues between large AoE melee attacks and smacking you with Marin Karin outta nowhere if you aren't keeping desperate track of them, causing you to get nuked by said homing light attacks.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting the game to pull that without putting a checkpoint in-between because the game has been super-generous with them and I did it the second time by playing spoiler in the first fight with Morgana holding Garu to cancel the worst of the nonsense followed by using Haru's held spin attack to be able to attack while moving in a large area to chop down the succubi while dodging the second boss' attacks. That level of planning is... something I don't think I've expected to need from a game using a Musou-style combat system and I'm kinda down for it, I think.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Starting Warriors games in general on higher difficulties is a terrible idea most of the time because everything is a damage sponge that will two-shot you if you get caught in a special attack.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tae posted:

The people that will give a shitstorm was going to do it regardless.

The real question is, will we get mama raikou like nioh 2

Considering how down-to-earth the human character designs are in Nioh 2, I was very surprised to discover how much I enjoyed their takes on many historical characters.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had heard a little about yasuke but thought he was a fictional alberto barbarosa type figure. Actually seems pretty awesome.

He could be really cool in a SW game.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

NameHurtBrain posted:

Also I didn't really spot Hideyoshi or Katsuie in the trailer? No, Ranmaru, some of the completely new characters caught my eye but nothing that struck me as either of those two.
They're on the website
https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/sw5/character/

Also that's young Tokugawa in the trailer, not Ranmaru

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Who are Mitsuki and Toshimitsu Saito?

Also wow yeah that is one young and kinda girly looking Ieyasu.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Twelve by Pies posted:

Thought it was Ranmaru before the reveal

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope we get The Viper of Mino.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don’t think its some form of ‘cowardice’ or nerd reaction that is the reason they haven’t put Yasuke in considering he features in several games, a popular childrens book and anime.

If he’s not in its probably cause he barely did anything, was only in a very short period of Nobunaga’s life and he would fulfil a similar role to Ranmaru Mori who is too popular with Reki-jo to ignore

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Who are Mitsuki and Toshimitsu Saito?

Saito is one of Mitsude's retainers, he featured kinda prominently in the first half of Nioh 2 so I guess a bit more people are aware of who he is in comparison to like five years ago. Mitsuki's supposed to be Nobunaga's adoptive daughter or something?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Mitsuki is my jam. Looking forward to her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh poo poo, Mitsuki fights with fuckin' brass knuckles. Rad.

So, from the site, it looks like Nobunaga and Mitsuhide use single katanas, Ieyasu uses dual not-quite-katanas, Hideyoshi has a staff (and is basically just Sun Wukong), No has a bow, Shibata and Saito are spear guys, and Imagawa has a giant fuckoff hammer. Wonder how much moveset diversity there'll be, since we have people sharing weapons even in this limited preview roster?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He's certainly... something in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAHDuhpwlE

Holy poo poo, this competes quite well with his Nioh 2 appearance for shockingly cool. I wasn't expecting him to take two haymakers across the jaw without MOVING, much less flinching :hellyeah:

Chachi fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 28, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No but seriously Dosan Saito was super important in Nioh 2. It'd be cool to have him in a Samurai Warriors.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Davincie posted:

I don’t think its some form of ‘cowardice’ or nerd reaction that is the reason they haven’t put Yasuke in considering he features in several games, a popular childrens book and anime.

If he’s not in its probably cause he barely did anything, was only in a very short period of Nobunaga’s life and he would fulfil a similar role to Ranmaru Mori who is too popular with Reki-jo to ignore

Actually yeah, from a gameplay standpoint, he'd fulfill the same role as Ranmaru - basically just showing up whenever Nobunaga does(ala No since historical records never say Yasuke went off on his own). And Ranmaru has had like, one game where he actually has a Musou mode to begin with (SW1).

Then again I'm always a fan of when they dare to go off the beaten path and not just go 'I fight this guys historical battles and that's it', which Yasuke seems to have a lot more of a story potential than Ranmaru(at least Ranmaru as depicted in 1-4 which is mostly LORD NOBUNAGA!!! and Some sort of LGBT-phobic Dude Looks Like a Lady poo poo.)

Weapon diversity is lacking so far. I'm kinda hoping there's some placeholders really? Like I can get scaling back the absurdity but scaling back the roster and having clones feels... eh?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

No but seriously Dosan Saito was super important in Nioh 2. It'd be cool to have him in a Samurai Warriors.

Wrong Saito :v:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Yasuke's "historical story" (such as it is given the sometimes imprecise record-keeping of the era when it came to slaves and ethnic minorities) has a murky conclusion. Some scholars etc. are of the opinion that he was likely sold back into slavery after being taken to Kyoto following the the Honnō-ji Incident, but I read a few years back that there are (dubious) records of him somehow winding up in India and becoming a general there. There are some alleged tales of a large African man in samurai armor leading troops in the region from that time period, but this is probably just anecdotal as I'm coming up empty-handed for an actual source right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/1367082553501483008

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd forgotten that was even announced

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been excited for it because IMO it's going to help set the tone of Dynasty Warriors for the foreseeable future. It's Omega Force walking back their mistakes of DW9 and repackaging it in what they feel to be what the fans want a DW game to be, albeit in an Empires format, so I'm very eager to see where they're taking DW9's reboot.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, I'll be cautious like usual with Koei offerings, but I hope they do get it together for this one.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

If nothing else, actually delaying the game instead of just pushing it out as quickly as possible is a little surprising and hopefully a good sign.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My expectations for dw9 to ever be fun are exactly zero, so I can only be pleasantly surprised at how it turns out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish the Warriors game son switch were cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Koei really don't like dropping the price of any of their games. I'm still being burned by getting attack on titan 2 for full price (it only ever went on sale once before my purchase), then like a month later they released a DLC for it that comes with base game... but not if you already bought it. In which case they, to this day, still want 40 bucks for it.