Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Oil! posted:

Has anyone else had a really bad boss location? The given map location for our 3rd was attached to a very small swamp island, but actually in the water. We had to build up the ground to even have an area to fight without swimming and put a "base" in very hostile territory in range of the boss. Luckily we could kind of drag the boss around our man made island, kill all spawns, and died dozens of times to get a victory.

This island is pixelated because of how zoomed it in is and my corpse is at the boss location.

Our Elder was located around halfway between the center of our map and the edge and required a huge trek to get to and set up a portal in a very hostile Black Forest edging a Swamp.

On top of that, the entire altar was an island and when we killed him near the water the loot fell into ocean deep enough we had to spend around 10min after the fight attempting to jump and dive to get all the items.

Our Bonemass altar is significantly closer for comparison. It can definitely vary wildly.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've only played this game solo so far. It's really slow going, but also just really rewarding. It's been so long since I've played a survival game, and this is a really good one, so I've been having a ton of fun.

It's not as cool as a lot of homes, but I spent several play sessions just building a homestead, and circling it with a fence. Not pictured: boar pen, farm, and tiny grotto.

I'm already ready to find a mountaintop to start a big castle on.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Oil! posted:

Has anyone else had a really bad boss location? The given map location for our 3rd was attached to a very small swamp island, but actually in the water.

they all have 3+ summoning altars and the runestones just point to the nearest one. if you get a lovely spawn, just explore further out until you get a better one.

Eikthyr has 3 spawn locations.
The Elder has 4 spawn locations.
Bonemass has 5 spawn locations.
Moder has 3 spawn locations.
Yagluth has 4 spawn locations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Me and a friend went to find a second server bone mass Swamp and took our best equipment, portal materials and longboat. Died the first time by death of a thousand cuts serpents and a unlucky deathsquito. Then we took a carve and tried to get our stuff, death by second deathsquito. Built another longboat with our last materials, finally managed to get a portal going and recovered our stuff only for the longboat to be destroyed by a vengeful lox, which is when we gave up. This all took 4 hours and I won't lie, it was an adventure but man I wanted a nice relaxing evening of farming silver, maybe creating a draugr bow and building a bit :(

Then this morning I hopped on for some minor busy work and the server wouldn't let me use half my chest or rename a portal, so the game is honestly pretty fucky with me right now and I don't appreciate it.

Overall I will say thst the game is quite an achievement, since release i got 58 hours under my belt and I'm propably the lowest by far on my server. Games addicting yo.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ughhhh posted:

My first boat load of Iron ore got sunk in the middle of the ocean between my home and outpost by a big nasty thing. Have i lost all my ore and inventory items/will the big nasty thing still be there if i have to go back? Seeing the faint outline of land and suddenly having the wind turn and your ship sinking was exciting but drat does it hurt, definitely gonna take a break since that just hurt so much.

If you die in water, your tombstone basically floats on the surface. Your boat cargo contents will spawn in floating crates. The only thing you really lost is the skins and nails used to build the boat in this case. The sea serpent is kind of static in the area. If you come back to loot, use your bow/arrow to snipe the serpent.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I've built an outpost with stakes surrounded by a dry moat, and I'm thinking of expanding it and making it higher and turning it into my main base. However, it's getting attacked by greydwarfs and wolves and apparently the occasional troll.

Most of them can't attack it directly (the greydwarves need to throw stones), but if I leave it to go on a supply run, will they keep throwing stones even when I'm not there? I've seen the thing about burying crafting stations in a sort of protective/warding ring around my perimeter, which seems interesting and I'll try that. But am I getting overly cautious about leaving all my valuable loot in an undefended fort?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sinburger posted:

Make vertical item holders and decorate your various outposts. Greydwarf shamans make great exit signs for doors because of the glowing eyes.

Use deer heads to upgrade stagbreaker and summon dozens of Eithyrki.

Toss the rest.

I had no idea you could fight a boss again, that explains my question of what if you lose your antler pickaxes

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

I had no idea you could fight a boss again, that explains my question of what if you lose your antler pickaxes

You can even fight multiple copies of the boss at once.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

boofhead posted:

I've built an outpost with stakes surrounded by a dry moat, and I'm thinking of expanding it and making it higher and turning it into my main base. However, it's getting attacked by greydwarfs and wolves and apparently the occasional troll.

Most of them can't attack it directly (the greydwarves need to throw stones), but if I leave it to go on a supply run, will they keep throwing stones even when I'm not there? I've seen the thing about burying crafting stations in a sort of protective/warding ring around my perimeter, which seems interesting and I'll try that. But am I getting overly cautious about leaving all my valuable loot in an undefended fort?

It’s not loaded if you’re not there.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Eat The Rich posted:

Odin gave up an eye to see the future and the 'reaper' has one glowing eye. The reaper that shows up is a common depiction of Odin.

Quill posted:

The only "Reaper" in Norse mythology would be Hel, but the figure in game is male and doesn't look like her. Most likely it's just the All-father checking your progress.

Yea I know who Odin is and what he looks like in the game, I just meant are all the posters in the thread saying they've seen the Grim Reaper just seeing the Odin model and getting confused or did they actually put like a separate skeletal, scythe-havin no poo poo grim reaper in as well. I wasn't really expecting it but y'know, there's all kinds of cool poo poo snuck into this game :shrug:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea I know who Odin is and what he looks like in the game, I just meant are all the posters in the thread saying they've seen the Grim Reaper just seeing the Odin model and getting confused or did they actually put like a separate skeletal, scythe-havin no poo poo grim reaper in as well. I wasn't really expecting it but y'know, there's all kinds of cool poo poo snuck into this game :shrug:

True. You might also see something interesting during a thunderstorm.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What's a good ratio for harvesting/replanting carrots?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It’s not loaded if you’re not there.

Excellent, thank you!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

anatomi posted:

What's a good ratio for harvesting/replanting carrots?

Well, since a carrot seed plant gives 3 carrot seeds, I think the best ratio is 1 carrot seed plant to 3 carrots. This will give 2 carrots of profit. So, if you plant 30 carrot seed plants and 90 carrots, you'll get 60 extra carrots after replanting.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jumping into this game with some friends tonight for the first time. I like annoying them with dumb gimmicks in these games. I hear there are boars. Is it feasible to make a boar army? They don’t have to be useful I just want to fill their houses with pigs.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Not sure who else has tested, but the seed "Valheim" has a very interesting first boss location :D

EDIT: There's also a tower with the second boss' location marker nearby, too

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing mostly solo for an embarrassing number of hours (I'm pushing day 100) and I just smelted my first bar of iron. Was bummed that it didn't unlock the next tier of ship because my Karve doesn't really have enough space to justify hauling the immense amounts of iron you seem to need the distances required on my map. I think I'm going to put the game down for a few months until more content is added (not like I need it at this point, though) and some QoL issues are worked out. I just found mods and really wish I had done so earlier. Pulling items from nearby chests automatically when crafting is a huge improvement as is bumping the amount of bronze gained from smelting slightly. I also like removing the requirement of feeding resin to torches constantly to keep them burning. There are some building improvements, but I'm going to wait to see what the devs do with the system before messing with it. I already like it a lot, just want more pieces and the ability to pitch them to create nonstandard angles.

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome? I haven't explored the mountain biome yet and survived in the plains for about 30 seconds when I unwisely went ashore there.

Also, have I done something weird or does a decent archery skill basically trivialize a lot of combat? I can two shot basic draugr and even trolls go down with about 5 arrows. Skeletons, which are supposedly resistant to pierce damage, can be killed with a single good shot. The only things I've found semi challenging are the blobs and higher tier draugrs (and those mosquitos and green dudes in the plains biome, but I'm going to avoid them for a while). I haven't felt much need to invest in melee weapons beyond using a sword as a flyswatter for greydwarf mobs to save arrows. Even among bows, the only difference between the tiers seems to be trajectory and maybe accuracy at distance. If you use bows enough, you can do pretty well with just the starting one. That doesn't seem quite right given how others describe combat and the variety of weapons available to craft.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

BrianRx posted:

I've been playing mostly solo for an embarrassing number of hours (I'm pushing day 100) and I just smelted my first bar of iron. Was bummed that it didn't unlock the next tier of ship because my Karve doesn't really have enough space to justify hauling the immense amounts of iron you seem to need the distances required on my map. I think I'm going to put the game down for a few months until more content is added (not like I need it at this point, though) and some QoL issues are worked out. I just found mods and really wish I had done so earlier. Pulling items from nearby chests automatically when crafting is a huge improvement as is bumping the amount of bronze gained from smelting slightly. I also like removing the requirement of feeding resin to torches constantly to keep them burning. There are some building improvements, but I'm going to wait to see what the devs do with the system before messing with it. I already like it a lot, just want more pieces and the ability to pitch them to create nonstandard angles.

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome?

Boats are made with nails.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BrianRx posted:

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome?

Closer than you think. Try crafting some iron nails. :)

efb, but good addition below, I forgot about the bark.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

BrianRx posted:

I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome?

Get ancient wood from the swamp and craft some iron nails and you'll unlock the next ship.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Oh, that's awesome! Alright, I'll put a little more time in (who am I kidding, it'll be another dozen hours).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Major Isoor posted:

Not sure who else has tested, but the seed "Valheim" has a very interesting first boss location :D

EDIT: There's also a tower with the second boss' location marker nearby, too

Is that not normal? My first boss location is within spitting distance of the starting location too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Argue posted:

Is that not normal? My first boss location is within spitting distance of the starting location too.

It's random. One seed I tried had first boss altar within 30m of the standing stones. Another had it across an ocean ~5-10% of the map radius away.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Argue posted:

Oh drat, if it is I've been missing out! On my first/main seed it was miles away, several island hops away from me

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I think Eikthyr is heavily weighted to be very close to the start location. I've personally played in three worlds so far and seen multiple streamers starting the game out, and have never seen the altar be further than like one minute on foot away.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My game there were 2 Eik spawns drat near in visual distance of the standing stones, and one more not much further out

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is really, really fun to build in this game.

Little mining outpost I built in about half a hour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Listen fuckdwarves, I'm just here for stone to build my kickass castle. Your latest rush will end no differently than the previous 69 rushes so kindly gently caress off.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I just started seeing the reaper / dementor looking figure, too. Are you saying that is actually Odin and not a mob?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dialhforhero posted:

So I just started seeing the reaper / dementor looking figure, too. Are you saying that is actually Odin and not a mob?

It certainly seems to be, yeah.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

dialhforhero posted:

The first time he spawned for me I put an arrow through his forehead, but it just clipped through.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The first time he spawned for me I put an arrow through his forehead, but it just clipped through.

I did the same because my first sighting happened at night in the swamp and I reflexively assumed it was some sort of super-wraith come to gently caress me up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just put the finishing touches on our main base right on the border of Meadows/Forest, setting out today to set up our Forest/Swamp base across the ocean.

Leftmost is a bunkhouse on stilts with workspace and cooking space on ground level. In back is a forge with smelter and hearth feeding into the main forge location. On right is the apiary, cauldron, and fermenter.

We made a conscious decision to not wall off the space, which has led to endless Greydwarf shitters scratching up all our stuff, but has made it much more scenic than the blasted brown hellscapes penned in by tall wood stakes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just put the finishing touches on our main base right on the border of Meadows/Forest, setting out today to set up our Forest/Swamp base across the ocean.

Leftmost is a bunkhouse on stilts with workspace and cooking space on ground level. In back is a forge with smelter and hearth feeding into the main forge location. On right is the apiary, cauldron, and fermenter.

We made a conscious decision to not wall off the space, which has led to endless Greydwarf shitters scratching up all our stuff, but has made it much more scenic than the blasted brown hellscapes penned in by tall wood stakes.

Just be very wary of trolls. Especially look out for events where the ‘ground shakes’.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Quill posted:

True. You might also see something interesting during a thunderstorm.

is there any hint on what to look out for, this sounds interesting

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Johnny Joestar posted:

is there any hint on what to look out for, this sounds interesting

Mmmm, during a storm, especially while sailing, look up and keep your eyes peeled.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I learned a thing last night.

As far as events and raids go, they are tied to the WORLD'S boss progression, not your character's. I'm not a big fan of a troll showing up and wrecking my poo poo, so I'm going to create a new world to build my base and explore and stuff in, and then use a separate world (probably one of the ones with close bosses) to actually fight the bosses.

So yeah if you want to just build in relative peace without constant threat of raids, that's a thing you can do.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm at the point of world exploration where I need to think up a good design for a portal hub so that the portals don't get messy with multiple transfers to get anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone noticed if you do more damage while hitting from certain angles? It's most noticeable with the woodaxe and the pickaxe, sometimes you'll do half damage (no, it's not because of hitting multiple things) if you're chopping/picking from a bad angle.

Knife backstab damage also seems to intermittently trigger if the enemy is focused on another player and you hit the enemy in exactly their spine or something like that. Otherwise I've only gotten backstabs to work when the target isn't aware of me.