Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My friend's parents believed that Catholics are literally vampires because they literally drink blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CommonShore posted:

My friend's parents believed that Catholics are literally vampires because they literally drink blood.

That explains why the holy water fonts were always empty at my church

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I mean, the whole symbolic cannibalism part of Christianity is kinda weird.

Speaking as a an ehtheist cultural Christian in Denmark, I don't really think anyone is dumb/uneducated enough to think the pope is in charge of our variety of Protestantism. He's just the head of the Catholics, who may or may not insist on speaking Latin in church and probably still allow you to pay off whatever sins you did.

Also, I agree on Islam being more related to Judaism, but the reason Judaism and Christianity are separate religions is mostly that Christians allowed everyone to join, while Jews do the whole ethnicity thing with their religion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BonHair posted:

I mean, the whole symbolic cannibalism part of Christianity is kinda weird.

Speaking as a an ehtheist cultural Christian in Denmark, I don't really think anyone is dumb/uneducated enough to think the pope is in charge of our variety of Protestantism. He's just the head of the Catholics, who may or may not insist on speaking Latin in church and probably still allow you to pay off whatever sins you did.

Also, I agree on Islam being more related to Judaism, but the reason Judaism and Christianity are separate religions is mostly that Christians allowed everyone to join, while Jews do the whole ethnicity thing with their religion.

Uh, reason that Judaism is a separate religion is because the whole "Jesus Christ" thing that's kinda central to Christianity isn't a part of Judaism, at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Uh, reason that Judaism is a separate religion is because the whole "Jesus Christ" thing that's kinda central to Christianity isn't a part of Judaism, at all.

It's not a part of American "Christianity" either :thunk:

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I'm sure there are some Ebionites still around, hidden somewhere.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Jesus Christ fits pretty well into Judaism though, except for the part where he was not accepted by the community on account of being an anarchist reformator. It's the same basic religion, with Christianity adding an additional layer, just like Joseph Smith adding stuff to Christianity. Or essentially like all the crap that's been added to Catholicism one the years like saints, papal reincarnation and all the other dogma the church has. One might argue that the notion of hell is a way bigger leap from the gospels than Christ is from Judaism.

But that's all academic, they're clearly different religions because they agree that they are different.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

steinrokkan posted:

I want to take a peek into this world of your in which Europe isn't an eternal meatgrinder of lords and countries taking land from each other on the battlefield based on the slightest of pretexts.

Again I'm talking about 19th century style colonialism rather than classic imperialism.
The kind with all the Victorian era racist darwinism and white man's burden stuff.

Still, point taken.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tweezer Reprise posted:

In a lot of the conquered Byzantine lands, the invaders might have even been seen is preferable to the Christians who had been lording over them for centuries.

I keep mentioning the Oriental Orthodox because this was exactly the case in the Levant and Egypt, the Byzantine government was (as Greeks are now) Eastern Orthodox and kicked around the non-Eastern O's in the empire.
I doubt the Copts and Aramaic speaking groups had any idea what exactly this "Muss-Limb" thing was, but they were beating the poo poo out of the Greek/Roman (Groman?) authorities and to them this owned.

I think people don't realize these are indeed different Christian sects.
Eastern Orthodox is y'know: Greeks, Russians, Serbs, Ukrainians, Georgians, Romanians etc. Main(est) dude is in Istanbul.
Oriental Orthodox is: Assyrians, Armenians, Copts, Ethiopians etc. Don't really have a main dude as far as I'm aware, but these churches all see eachother as part of the same club.

These are straight up different sects, as much as Catholic is to Eastern Orthodox anyway.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've read some British writings from around the colonisation of Ireland where they harp on about how the Irish aren't even perfidious Papists but savage moon worshipping pagans who, like Wild Injuns, aren't even using their land properly and are also descendants of Scythian who arrived from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and thus have no claim to Ireland at all.

I accidentally read a supremely racist English book about how Oliver Cromwell, while harsh, paved the way for all the positive things of Ireland. In part because English blood was mixed into the Irish stock, allowing for the production of poets and playwrights and such stuff.

The book was published in nineteen seventy loving one.

Grape fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a special level of batshit because most of the Royalist landlords in Ireland that he was fighting were Anglo-Norman or Old English anyway. I suppose you could argue that on aggregate the proportion of 'English stock' was increased by the fallout from a slapfight between two rival groups of Anglo landowners landing mainly on Irish tenants, but I'm not sure that "well the Irish would have just continued being tenant farmers forever if they weren't turned into dead tenant farmers by the combined incompetence and malice of Parliament and Anglo landlords" is a good argument for anything.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

well actually there's some speculation that entries in the Talmud about false prophets might be about about Jesus of Nazareth, so

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Never claimed it solved the issue, just that if the choice was between a Pope-supported attack on pagans and one on fellow Catholics, the former would have the advantage. Obviously a Pope-supported attack on other Christians is even better, since they're probably richer.

:hmmyes:

BonHair posted:

papal reincarnation

what

I was raised Catholic and I've never, ever heard about this

ToxicAcne posted:

I think that the argument that Islam is an offshoot of Judaism is stronger, although even this is problematic. There are alot of influences from the Pre-Islamic Arab religion mixed in. The influence from Christianity is basically the appearance of Jesus and Mary (and John the Baptist) in the Quran. Hijaz and Medina in particular had a very large Jewish population.

pretend I quoted moongods?.jpg here

Though for real, I thought it's a pretty established fact that when they weren't bashing each other's heads in, historically Muslims, Jews and Christians usually did acknowledge their relatedness and grudgingly tolerated each other, whereas "pagans" were not afforded this status at all unless they had political muscle to resist attempts at conversion, like Indian polities, Imperial China and Japan.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

:hmmyes:

what

I was raised Catholic and I've never, ever heard about this

pretend I quoted moongods?.jpg here

Though for real, I thought it's a pretty established fact that when they weren't bashing each other's heads in, historically Muslims, Jews and Christians usually did acknowledge their relatedness and grudgingly tolerated each other, whereas "pagans" were not afforded this status at all unless they had political muscle to resist attempts at conversion, like Indian polities, Imperial China and Japan.

I thought there was some dogma that whoever the current pope is is also the reincarnation of Saint Peter? It might just be anti Catholic propaganda I guess, but why make up something like that? It's dumb, but not harmful or significant in any way.

And to expand on the second point, Islam has the concept of "people of the book" (ahl al-kitāb I think), meaning Jews and Christians (and a couple of now pretty minor/extinct religions I think), who get special privileges compared to any other religious groups. But Islam has the advantage of being the latest and thus being able to incorporate the previous versions of the faith. And whatever local beliefs Muhammad (if he was acting alone) wanted to incorporate, like Djinns and the Kaaba.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmfao that's the wildest poo poo i've ever heard. Are you sure your're not mixing up popes with the dalai lama?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like apostolic succession, where every bishop has been touched by a previous bishop going back to the apostles.

This is also something that sounds worse than it is.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

I thought there was some dogma that whoever the current pope is is also the reincarnation of Saint Peter?

I was also raised Catholic and never heard of this.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Yeah that sounds like a bad-faith (ha) new-atheist interpretation of what apostolic succession is lmfao

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just gonna post various things I believe are obviously true about religions only to have you laugh at the ridiculous things I believe. I learn, you laugh.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I mean, I shouldn't laugh too too hard, because the official Vatican take on Martin Luther to this day still boils down to "yeah he was literally possessed by literal Satan, but also he had some good points in retrospect"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I mean, I shouldn't laugh too too hard, because the official Vatican take on Martin Luther to this day still boils down to "yeah he was literally possessed by literal Satan, but also he had some good points in retrospect"

Vatican: Satan had some good points.

Also, what's meant by touched? Does the pope have to literally touch all the cardinals in case one of them becomes pope or is more spiritual?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Are you talking about laying on of hands? I think it just goes back to what the early church (i.e. the Apostles) are purported to have done to new faithful/their successors, and a lot of church tradition is rooted in "what did the Apostles do"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I'm kinda doubtful about Luther being literally possessed because I have also never heard of this tbh. The "touching" thing comes from the laying on of hands as Tweezer Reprise said, which is an integral part of ordination rites (actually the part where according to dogma the actual ordination takes place) and can only be done by bishops who have likewise been ordained like that, in a line that (in theory, at least - there is no bishop around who can trace his lineage further back than the 16th century, when ordination records start becoming spotty) goes all the way back to the apostles

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Yeah, I'll retract that. I thought I'd find something easy googling it, but my only source before is what multiple Catholic people said online (in various degrees of euphemism) so I suppose I shouldn't have passed the frothings of Catholics online off as the official stated position of the church.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Luther never intended for the whole Protestantism with millions of feuding sects thing. He just wanted to reform the church.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Luther never intended for the whole Protestantism with millions of feuding sects thing. He just wanted to reform the church.

At first. He spent a lot of the late 1520s organizing a church separate from Rome in Saxony, and writing a German-language liturgy for it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like apostolic succession, where every bishop has been touched by a previous bishop going back to the apostles.

This is also something that sounds worse than it is.

It's also not exclusively Catholic.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lets have some maps, shall we?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hussites sided with the Catholics against the Protestants.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hussites were the Green Mountain Boys of the Reformation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

System Metternich posted:

lmfao that's the wildest poo poo i've ever heard. Are you sure your're not mixing up popes with the dalai lama?

The dalai lama is also not the reincarnation of saint peter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has China given a definitive statement on that?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FreudianSlippers posted:

and are also descendants of Scythian who arrived from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and thus have no claim to Ireland at all.

this worked so well they recycled it in new zealand, with the maori and the moriori

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BonHair posted:

I thought there was some dogma that whoever the current pope is is also the reincarnation of Saint Peter? It might just be anti Catholic propaganda I guess, but why make up something like that? It's dumb, but not harmful or significant in any way.

This is a weird thing to make up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemme just crack open this 8,000 page copy of the Catechism of the Catholic church and jump straight to the reincarnation of popes part of the apostolic creed, bet its that oft overlooked point 13

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Reincarnation certainly puts an interesting spin on the Cadaver Synod.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Reincarnation certainly puts an interesting spin on the Cadaver Synod.

brb, writing a hit fantasy trilogy based on this idea

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

https://twitter.com/decolonialatlas/status/1365744362282508289/photo/1

come for the golf courses, stay for the weirdly jagged national borders

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's a population map, square per million people.

Still it's quite interesting because of that.

e: Actually looking at Australia and the US that doesn't seem right. Uhh, maybe it's some product of area and population with the scale being per continent?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 28, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The places where golf is popular, there's more courses in less dense areas. Because golf courses take up a lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Private Speech posted:

It's a population map, square per million people.

Still it's quite interesting because of that.

e: Actually looking at Australia and the US that doesn't seem right. Uhh, maybe the scale is per continent? It's roughly accurate for Europe at least.

Europe is roughly homogenous in terms of golf playing percentage of population I'd guess (roughly the same amount of rich fucks per capita essentially). Usa has way richer rich people though, so they have more golf courses per rich fucker, plus possibly more non rich people playing on different courses. Australia is Usa light, but also a bunch of those spots are probably close to zero population with a rich person resort.

The interesting thing is that golf is very much a Western thing, India and China don't care for it outside of entertaining Western idiots. Or at least, that's my reading.