Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
litterrally just ate some onion rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gentle Autist posted:

i tried white castle in vegas and it was bad

:confused:

also i am not an onion liker and can easily shithouse a crave case of cheese sliders

TOOT BOOT posted:

Man poo poo was cheap in the 90s, you could get a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger, a biggie fries, and a biggie drink for $2.97. Now a basic cheeseburger is like half that

even in the early, mid-aughts. jbc, caesar salad, and small chili was the same price - a hearty fuckin lunch for under 3 bucks. does the 99cent menu still exist ?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

some of the best onion rings in the world come from moby dick

onion rings are gross

Captain Foo posted:

you're supposed to ask what real ale is showing well or they'll pour you the old oxidized crap

the what now ?

graph fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 27, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
secret code or get crusty beer

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my right knee has been hurting for 10 months and i re-torqued it yesterday. now for another ???? days of hobbling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress mate! when i hurt my knee back in november and then you said it took you like 10 months for it to get better. I had hopes that after 10 months i’d be invisible but now I doubt that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my left knee took literally about 10 months to get better and now feels fine after a couple years. i just keep re-loving up the right one now accidentally

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did you do any kind of rehab strength training or anything?

at least hobbling gets you a modicum of sympathy from time to time. it’s about all we can hope for

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

did you do any kind of rehab strength training or anything?

in the before times the start to every workday was a mile uphill and another 1/3 mile to the office and back again at night

now i sit in a lovely chair or lay on my couch all day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

onion rings are gross

wrong.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

in the before times the start to every workday was a mile uphill and another 1/3 mile to the office and back again at night

now i sit in a lovely chair or lay on my couch all day

hmm

my knee is still bad and I can't squat cleanly, but was hoping I'll be able to get back to that, and start doing squats again. defo starting with body weight

its embarassing now having to do the old man get down on knee where its a multi stage process that involves hands on the ground

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

hmm

my knee is still bad and I can't squat cleanly, but was hoping I'll be able to get back to that, and start doing squats again. defo starting with body weight

its embarassing now having to do the old man get down on knee where its a multi stage process that involves hands on the ground

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

graph posted:

onion rings are gross
shameful

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graph posted:

onion rings are gross

i would like a gross of onion rings :yum:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

onion rings are good but but any beyond three have extremely diminishing returns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they reheat really well in the oven tho so you can make a decent batch at once

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the reason onion rings suck is because the onions inside get all limp and stringy and you try and take one bite and the whole thing slips out of the breading.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
one time i made carmelized onions and pulled them apart and made tempura with them. huge pain in the rear end, but man they were so good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

the reason onion rings suck is because the onions inside get all limp and stringy and you try and take one bite and the whole thing slips out of the breading.

this happen with good rings

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

onion rings are gross

the what now ?

real/cask ale is non refrigerated and non pasturized and not held under co2, It doesn’t have much of a keg life once it’s been made ready to pull

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a local place did a small cask a few years ago and you only got some if you spotted it as a footnote or asked about the cask under a towel behind the bar

incredible taste and i wish more places would give them a go

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

a local place did a small cask a few years ago and you only got some if you spotted it as a footnote or asked about the cask under a towel behind the bar

incredible taste and i wish more places would give them a go

it’s a huge amount of effort to do it “right” compared to tapping a keg in a cold box on a draft line

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Onion rings good

My food intolerances bad, but I sometimes take the xhance

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

it’s a huge amount of effort to do it “right” compared to tapping a keg in a cold box on a draft line

yeah, I'm guessing that's why it was the first time I'd encountered one and also why it was pricy. theres a few bigger local breweries/restaurants that could make an event of it here like that place. or, they could if people could be in close proximity

there's one place with a back bar area that would do small batch beers and uncommon variations. they'd be the best bet to try that of all the microbreweries in my area if they were doing regular events still

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I like to eat a raw onion like an apple

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

onion rings are kind of nice, but they are competing in the category of unhealthy fried foods, and that is a really strong field.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-foolproof-onion-rings-excerpt.html

this is a good primer on how to make onion rings that don't suck.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kenji is real good, i don’t think any of his recipes have ever let me down

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-foolproof-onion-rings-excerpt.html

this is a good primer on how to make onion rings that don't suck.

lolled at THE DREADED WORM

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

onion rings are kind of nice, but they are competing in the category of unhealthy fried foods, and that is a really strong field.

mr. prime minister, welcome.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a solid take

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

they've got a korean bbq burger right now with these pickled onions on it that's delicious tbh

i just ate one of these for lunch

it was good but now the novelty has worn off, which is for the best anyway

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i just ate one of these for lunch

it was good but now the novelty has worn off, which is for the best anyway
i prefer stunt burgs that change up the patty rather than just a special sauce or fixing

for example there's a place near where i grew up where they will do a burg with smoked ground pork for the patty and then do like bbg beef brisket on top of that and then get into other sauces/fixings and it's mmm boy every time

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

mr. prime minister, welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UJ9_Qhekc

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Foo posted:

real/cask ale is non refrigerated and non pasturized and not held under co2, It doesn’t have much of a keg life once it’s been made ready to pull

it's this thing, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_for_Real_Ale

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Real Fail

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

whats the difference between a cask and firkin

i dont think ive ever had a cask pull

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hell yeah. go big or go home.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the black sheep in dtla used to do burgs with a pork sausage patty and then put hash browns and a fried egg on it. one of the best burgers i've ever has. they called them sliders but they were absolutely not slider sized

i hope that place still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

whats the difference between a cask and firkin

i dont think ive ever had a cask pull