Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if the plumbing was £10k to fix I imagine it’d be somewhere in between the two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

This kind of boat

or this kind of boat

This kind of boat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some people have lived on the Stockholm ferries. I don't think it's cheap and you have to disembark every time the ship comes to shore, but you don't need credit.

e: in 2015 they estimated it as costing 20 000–50 000€ a year.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 11:05 on Feb 27, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SchnorkIes posted:

Wouldn't you just sue a tenant who skipped out on the lease and owed you money? It doesn't seem like a great strategy for the tenant unless you're penniless and the landlord couldn't get anything from you at all no matter what.

The landlord can steal the tenant's deposit with no recourse for the tenant. The tenant proactively "stole" the same amount from the landlord, so neither side would get anything in court.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also suing costs money for a lawyer, etc so it comes down to cost/benefit.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I had a landlord send me a bill when I did that for 'cleaning fees'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's important when stiffing your former landlord that you don't leave any kind of forwarding information

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SchnorkIes posted:

Wouldn't you just sue a tenant who skipped out on the lease and owed you money? It doesn't seem like a great strategy for the tenant unless you're penniless and the landlord couldn't get anything from you at all no matter what.

It was a month to month $400/month deal for a room in a big house. There wasn’t any paperwork (stupid for her and stupid for me but I was mid-20s). It was the kind of house that’s desirable because you want to live by all the bars and everyone involved, myself included, was the kind of idiot who made decisions based on that metric. She wasn’t going to sue me and like mentioned the deposit covered the last month in full anyway.

That’s why it was so funny to see her try to get first/last/deposit. It just wasn’t the kind of place anyone interested in living in would or probably could float three months rent for move in

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Antonymous posted:

I had a landlord send me a bill when I did that for 'cleaning fees'

I dodged a major bill for 'cleaning fees'.
The landlord was an estate agent, and pure scum trash who tried everything to rip off everyone.
I was last in the house, they came to check it out weeks before we went out, and went 'tut tut the deposit won't cover what it will take to clean and fix this place'
The landlord sent an employee to do this, and she said she would present the bill when I handed over the keys.
It was a terrible few weeks fretting over it, gently caress I hated that time.
Last day of lease, same employee comes along, less formal than before, asks if we still had that bottle of wine in the fridge I said they could keep last time.
Turns out the landlord got his mistress pregnant, and to cover it up so the wife wont hear, he has to let someone go from the company.
And it was this employee, this was her last day.
She said she had to hand me the bill that they random number selected out of the air, but wont as she won't see a penny from it.
We sat there in the sun with a glass of wine for a while, I gave her the keys, and just hosed off quick.

Got a phonecall a few months later too from the landlord asking where the rent was. Told him I moved out, and nothing to do with me anymore.
Turns out the new tenants fell through and I think he was trying to push me for the money.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

happyhippy posted:

Turns out the landlord got his mistress pregnant, and to cover it up so the wife wont hear, he has to let someone go from the company.
And it was this employee, this was her last day.

I know this isn’t the point of the story but...what?

He knocked up his mistress and had to fire a random employee? How does that work?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know this isn’t the point of the story but...what?

He knocked up his mistress and had to fire a random employee? How does that work?

To use the money from his own company he owned to pay for the kid and keep the mistress from telling his wife, from what I assume.

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Feb 27, 2021

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ok but can yo ulive on a train

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

Sounds like a madman situation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Maya Fey posted:

Not cold enough for that yet

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Maya Fey posted:

In multiple China Mieville novels, yes.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some people have lived on the Stockholm ferries. I don't think it's cheap and you have to disembark every time the ship comes to shore, but you don't need credit.

e: in 2015 they estimated it as costing 20 000–50 000€ a year.

A friend of mine took the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham WA to back up here one time when he moved back from Portland. If you don't want to pay the insane cost for a stateroom they will let you just pitch a tent on one of the upper decks and sleep in it for the 3 or 4 days it takes to get up here. Super cheap but you might be in a tent on the deck of a boat in super rough seas and lovely weather in Alaska for days on end.

Don't know if that's still an option or if the ferry even goes to WA anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e40e_story.html

BIG HORNY COW has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Feb 27, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

happyhippy posted:

To use the money from his own company he owned to pay for the kid and keep the mistress from telling his wife, from what I assume.

shoulda told the wife

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

alright. cool

quote:

COLOGNE, Germany — When others get off the train to finally go home, Leonie Müller stays behind. That's because she already is home: The train is her apartment, and she says she likes it that way.

The German college student gave up her apartment in spring. "It all started with a dispute I had with my landlord," Müller told The Washington Post via e-mail. "I instantly decided I didn't want to live there anymore — and then I realized: Actually, I didn't want to live anywhere anymore."

Image without a caption
Müller washes her hair on trains. (Credit: Leonie Müller)
Instead, she bought a subscription that allows her to board every train in the country free. Now, Müller washes her hair in the train bathroom and writes her college papers while traveling at a speed of up to 190 mph. She says that she enjoys the liberty she has experienced since she gave up her apartment. "I really feel at home on trains and can visit so many more friends and cities. It's like being on vacation all the time," Müller said.

The 23-year-old's unusual housing choice has gained her media attention in Germany and appeared on national news sites such as Spiegel Online. "I read, I write, I look out of the window and I meet nice people all the time. There's always something to do on trains," Müller told German TV station SWR in an interview. Since risking the move, Müller's life fits into a small backpack in which she carries clothes, her tablet computer, college documents and a sanitary bag.

So far, her experience contradicts studies that have recently claimed that "long commutes are killing you." And financially, she benefits from living on a train: The flat-rate ticket costs her about $380, whereas she had to pay about $450 for her previous apartment. However, living cheaper is not the only goal she has in mind.

"I want to inspire people to question their habits and the things they consider to be normal," Müller told The Post. "There are always more opportunities than one thinks there are. The next adventure is waiting just around the corner — provided that you want to find it."

Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the apartments of relatives or friends. Often, she is accommodated by her boyfriend, her mother or grandmother.

"Normally, we would have to have a long-distance relationship, but living on a train enables me to see him all the time," Müller told German TV station SWR regarding her boyfriend. "Most of my friends really like the idea, although some consider it to be quite adventurous. Others, however, have reacted more negatively: They feel offended by the fact that I question the ordinary way of life and living."

Living on a train is also supposed to have an academic purpose: Müller is documenting the unusual experiment on a blog. Her final undergraduate paper will be based on her experiences as a modern train-nomad. The only problem? "Possessing a headset that mutes most surrounding noises is crucial," she said.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's just called being homeless

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

alright. cool

This also lets you give your life to Google and Facebook, since you have no privacy to lose. Seriously, where do you masturbate?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

BonHair posted:

This also lets you give your life to Google and Facebook, since you have no privacy to lose. Seriously, where do you masturbate?

anywhere you want

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

quote:

Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the apartments of relatives or friends.

doin a lot of work here. she's couch surfing but ~~trendy~~young~~person~~disruption~~

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BonHair posted:

quote:

Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the apartments of relatives or friends. Often, she is accommodated by her boyfriend, her mother or grandmother.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, that makes the whole thing super lame. Either live on a train or do couch surfing, but don't pretend to do the further whole actually doing the latter.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

there used to be train tickets you could buy to travel all over europe with no restrictions and people would sleep in the night train instead of paying for hotels but it's not like a permanent thing obviously

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

This is 2021, if you're not monetizing your masturbation via onlyfans you're leaving money on the table

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

there used to be train tickets you could buy to travel all over europe with no restrictions and people would sleep in the night train instead of paying for hotels but it's not like a permanent thing obviously

This is called interrail and is still a thing you can do. It's not cheap though, mostly because trains are ridiculously expensive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

This is called interrail and is still a thing you can do. It's not cheap though, mostly because trains are ridiculously expensive.

Really depends on the country how expensive train travel is. You can travel through Czechia for really cheap, for example. And Austria is quite a bit cheaper than Germany. The UK is pretty expensive, as is Switzerland.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Feb 27, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

:911:

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/i-hope-i-make-it-7-year-old-alabama-girl-selling-lemonade-to-fund-her-own-brain-surgeries/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

A friend of mine took the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham WA to back up here one time when he moved back from Portland. If you don't want to pay the insane cost for a stateroom they will let you just pitch a tent on one of the upper decks and sleep in it for the 3 or 4 days it takes to get up here. Super cheap but you might be in a tent on the deck of a boat in super rough seas and lovely weather in Alaska for days on end.

Don't know if that's still an option or if the ferry even goes to WA anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e40e_story.html

gently caress, that just seems tempting :thunk:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Christ, this is depressing. I mean to say, wow, how uplifting! When life gave her lemons ... she made lemonade!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

“I can’t handle it. So, I hope I make it,” Liza said. “My mom keeps saying I’m going to, but I feel like I’m not.”

Same.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

HUSTLE: This Seven Year Old Is Taking Control Of Her Own Healthcare. Inspiring!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stalin and Mao were too loving soft

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

in Silicon Valley there’s a thing called hotel 22

https://www.kalw.org/post/finding-home-hotel-22#stream/0

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

That's just called being homeless

One plucky hobo's weird trick to save money on long-distance travel!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's important when stiffing your former landlord that you don't leave any kind of forwarding information

I left a brochure packet for one of the other apartment complexes that I had looked at on the counter to throw them off my trail

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

I left a brochure packet for one of the other apartment complexes that I had looked at on the counter to throw them off my trail

This is a pro strat

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Maya Fey posted:

alright. cool

quote:

So far, her experience contradicts studies that have recently claimed that "long commutes are killing you."

:shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Can't see it from the EU here.
Is there any mention of the costs of the lemonade and the brain surgeries?

Want to find out how many drinks she will have to sell to afford to live.

Edit:

Found out via other news sources.
Surgery = $75k.
Lemonade = 25 cents

So needed to sell 300,000 lemonades.

Good to see that she has raised $214k on her donation page so far.

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Feb 28, 2021