Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

Phew, definitely do not underestimate items in this game. During the first boss my normal attacks were doing 80-120 damage and I was having trouble out DPSing their heals, so I broke out the "Throwing Axe" which did 350 damage to the entire group at once. I had three more of those so a single brave chain brought them both down my next turn. It ruled

Then during the little "boat exploration" tutorial I got an HP Bun which seemed to DOUBLE Seth's max HP? I missed the exact amount but he went from having a max of 3XX to 7XX. Definitely not what I was expecting with that item

I'm going to guess "make items useful" was a really big design goal given that + the consecutive battles and no enemies functions now being tied to items

Where do you get these? That first fight is a horrendously unfun slog where I can't kill them but they can't kill me and I have to reset the game to get out and I'd love to just be past them so I can play the rest of the game.

Edit: finally beat it, in think I was less frustrated with the fight and more just with having to skip 6 cut scenes each time I had to redo it.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PageMaster posted:

Where do you get these? That first fight is a horrendously unfun slog where I can't kill them but they can't kill me and I have to reset the game to get out and I'd love to just be past them so I can play the rest of the game.

I've only just finished the prologue, but I've gotten many from side quests, the boat, and I bet I've dug some up with Forage

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Some of the accessories that are easily accessible in town provide huge bonuses to HP. They doubled the HP of my White and Black Mages. That solved a lot of my early problems from them being so squishy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
are y'all playing on normal or hard? i just got my full party and a few new jobs and so far everything has been pretty breezy

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I enjoyed Bravely Default, I did not play Bravely Second.

I very much enjoyed turning the combat encounters way down for most of the game until it was time to farm, then turning them way up and auto-battling.

I like the idea of crunchy job/team combination stuff, but I don't have a lot of tolerance for time-grind.

I do my grocery shopping tomorrow. Sell me up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I very much enjoyed turning the combat encounters way down for most of the game until it was time to farm, then turning them way up and auto-battling.

I like the idea of crunchy job/team combination stuff, but I don't have a lot of tolerance for time-grind.

The game is fun but I will tell ya you cannot turn off battles in this game. The change they made is that at least you see enemies on the map now.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

you cant turn off random battles but all enemies are on the map and move slower than you. you can hit them on the overworld to start with a bp advantage. there are plentiful items which reduce spawns, and lower level enemies actively avoid you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Farg posted:

you cant turn off random battles but all enemies are on the map and move slower than you. you can hit them on the overworld to start with a bp advantage. there are plentiful items which reduce spawns, and lower level enemies actively avoid you.

While not as nice as the sliders in the first game, this works too.

I'm downloading the game and going to start playing tomorrow. Does this have a town builder and "bring a friend for a big gently caress off super attack" mechanic like the first game?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So far no town building, but you do get a boat that brings you back lots of various stat increasing items (exp,jp, stat boosters from what i've seen so far) while you have the switch in sleep mode. It uses the internet and presumably your friends list to say you ran into them on your journey but you don't need to connected to the internet to use the feature.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Farg posted:

are y'all playing on normal or hard? i just got my full party and a few new jobs and so far everything has been pretty breezy
Way I played Bravely Second, and how I'm playing this, is that I keep it on Normal, and then switch to Hard whenever there's a boss fight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hope there's a performance patch in the pipeline. Game feels like its about to come apart at the seams anytime you open a menu. Would like faster battle transitions too...

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

So far no town building, but you do get a boat that brings you back lots of various stat increasing items (exp,jp, stat boosters from what i've seen so far) while you have the switch in sleep mode. It uses the internet and presumably your friends list to say you ran into them on your journey but you don't need to connected to the internet to use the feature.

Not just friends, anyone else who is on a boat adventure. There's a lot of random names when I come back to collect my loot.

Evil Fluffy posted:

While not as nice as the sliders in the first game, this works too.

I'm downloading the game and going to start playing tomorrow. Does this have a town builder and "bring a friend for a big gently caress off super attack" mechanic like the first game?

Also, low level monsters will run away scared so you can walk past them. To counteract this monsters at your level will usually charge at your location (technically the location you were at at the start of their charge) but you can still slash at them beforehand to get a free BP boost.

At the beginning of the game you have a knight who isn't technically in your party who will (for me) frequently pop out to do 600-1200 damage or cure me for a lot. I guess kind of like the FF3 remake but I actually like him a lot.

One cute thing I like is that people who you fight and win their asterisks from lose their asterisk costumes which I found to be a really "well, duh, that makes sense" moment when I saw it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm playing the final demo some more to see if it'll click for me... Bernard is voiced by Kiryu Kazuma (Takuya Kuroda)... Like listening to honey

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hope there's a performance patch in the pipeline. Game feels like its about to come apart at the seams anytime you open a menu. Would like faster battle transitions too...

It’s hilarious when I have it set up to the fastest battle speed and the game slows to a crawl every time I get into a fight.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Any bonuses for completing the demo before starting the game like in the first two games?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oh boy if the things the Thief Asterisk boss can do are done by many of the bosses later in the game there are going to be some real not fun moments.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Farg posted:

The easiest setting. I've never enjoyed these games for their difficulty I play for the exploration and story. Even still I've had a party member die during a fight and had a party wipe for hitting the wrong sleeping tree.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh, can you change difficulty mid-game or are you locked into it?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You can change it any time I believe. Playing on Hardest myself like a fool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it stays during difficulty selection at the start that you can change any time.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

5 hours in, almost have the whole party finished with freelancer to get both jp up abilities. Having fun so far still! Definitely going to be harder to beat the next bosses without the helper anymore.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Minor complaint but I hate how the sleep mode passive island thing has to be sleep mode and not just time since you last opened the game. Annoying that the timer freezes if I play something else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there a reason to hang onto collectable items, or should I just sell 'em?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Not sure how useful this is because the weight mechanic is stupid and ruins the game, but you can steal strong stuff from rare enemies. There is a Treant that spawn in the northeast section of the first area of the game that is a pretty high level rare spawn. Here's how you steal from it:

1. Learn Magpie on a Thief so you can steal rare drops
2. Learn Spearhead from 2 Beastmasters, one of whom is the thief with Magpie
3. Steal x4 with the Thief
4. Flee with the secondary Spearheader
5. Reset to title screen if you didn't steal the rare drop

From that treant specifically, I got a 130 ATK/114 MAT spear that weights a poo poo ton. I am sure this is useful for rare spawns throughout the game to some extent, but once again, it's too bad there is an arbitrary weight mechanic that exists only to force you to level your chars.

edit: also note, that the thief special can't steal rare items even with Magpie. As far as I can see, anyways. I tried it about 10 times.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 27, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think I like the weight mechanic. Makes gearing something to think about and at least so far the equipment choices have felt fairly meaningful.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 27, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wow, I'm sure this falls off later but just having 4 Freelancers stand in front of something puny and then foraging for all the ether and attack items in the kingdom is giving me some mighty fine returns for the cost of holding down a button while I watch netflix.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

Any bonuses for completing the demo before starting the game like in the first two games?

Nothing this time. Just start with the full game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The card game in this rules. I had no idea there was gonna be one and I'm glad it seems mechanically interesting enough to spend time with it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Minor complaint but I hate how the sleep mode passive island thing has to be sleep mode and not just time since you last opened the game. Annoying that the timer freezes if I play something else.

Probably to avoid cheating through time skipping.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Andrast posted:

I think I like the weight mechanic. Makes gearing something to think about and at least so far the equipment choices have felt fairly meaningful.

That's how a correctly implemented weight system works. I think you misunderstand how the one in this game works.

As you level up your characters, you gain more capacity. It's nothing more than a check to essentially REQUIRE that you grind levels.

The spear I found for instance is heavier than the max weight my level 17 chars can equip even if they were naked.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It seems like an anti steamroll via lucking into rare gear thing which...like..Why do they care if people do that in a single player game? If you find an out of depth piece of equipment you should feel good about it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It seems like an anti steamroll via lucking into rare gear thing which...like..Why do they care if people do that in a single player game? If you find an out of depth piece of equipment you should feel good about it.

I agree but my guess is they want you to break the game via job stuff and not overpowered equipment

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
On top of that, it is too restrictive even for store bought stuff. Try to BIS a char in the first 5 or 10 hours in the game, and you'll almost certainly be over.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if your over the weight limit then it isn't bis

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'll just have my chars with a sword, a helmet, and a necklace walk around with no armor because it's too heavy to fill the slot. Gonna earn the right to use armor by leveling up!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

That's how a correctly implemented weight system works. I think you misunderstand how the one in this game works.

As you level up your characters, you gain more capacity. It's nothing more than a check to essentially REQUIRE that you grind levels.

The spear I found for instance is heavier than the max weight my level 17 chars can equip even if they were naked.

That sounds fine?

BabyRyoga posted:

On top of that, it is too restrictive even for store bought stuff. Try to BIS a char in the first 5 or 10 hours in the game, and you'll almost certainly be over.

It's almost like that's the point. To make you choose gear based on various factors and not just equip the things that are best at everyting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Having level and stat requirements on gear is... Entirely normal and incredibly common in RPGs. It's fine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you want to equip everything play Ring Fit and get buff.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Just met the character with kazuma kiryu's va. Still loving this so far.

Definitely takes me out of the game less than when they used dean ventures VA in second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Bravely default 1 is still very very good and I'm glad I went back to play that through again

I'll get down with 2 when I finally beat this thing for real this time.