Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Maestro posted:

Oh yea please do, I definitely meant that spec as more of a 4oz sour spec to be hosed with. 2:1:1 spirit:sweet:sour on the rocks is a good foundation, 2:1:.75 spirit:sour:sweet up is good too - gimlet, pisco sour, whiskey sour, etc

Are you doing 3oz/2oz/1oz, or is it a proportion thing? My experience is based around mixing for profit + value, so making a 6oz drink is totally alien to me

Yeah, personal use only so no consideration to cost. I usually juice 3-4 limes, see how much that is, scale other ingredients. So if I have 3 oz lime juice then I'll do 4.5/3/1.5 for me and 3/1.5/1.5/1.5 for her. Strain whatever won't fit in the coupe into a fridge mason jar for round 2 today or tomorrow. We don't fuss much :)

I'll be trying your proportions later, been a while since I've done one with no triplesec variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BrianBoitano posted:

Can we do this thing??

Mine: 3/2/1 gold tequila / Cointreau / lime
Wife: 2/1/1/1 silver tequila / grand Marnier / lime / agave

Sometimes I up mine to 3/2/2. If I'm feeling dirty I'll splash pickled jalapeño juice.

2/1/1/0.5 gold tequila/grand marnier/ lime / orgeat. Double volumes for a tiki cup.

Also I use lemons instead of limes when my lemon tree is full of lemons.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Can we do this thing??

Sometimes I up mine to 3/2/2. If I'm feeling dirty I'll splash pickled jalapeño juice.

My Margarita Spec
2/.5/1/.25 Silver Tequila/Dry Curacao/Lime/Agave

Gives a whisper of orange but amps up the floral agave flavors without making it too sweet.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

BrianBoitano posted:

Can we do this thing??

Heh, same here. 3oz / 2oz / 1oz Gold Tequila (Cazadores, pref.) / Cointrea / Fresh Lime Juice, salt on the rim. (Can scale to half of that for a "small".)

If I want it spicy, I'll mix chili powder to the salt for the rim.

E: Also, for cocktails, do people have opinions about the Shaker and Spoon boxes?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I had a long day at work and a Jungle Bird sounded spectacular, but once I made it I realized I forgot the lime, then when I went to get a lime I realized I was all out. In conclusion, always buy more limes.

Edit: drink's not half bad but definitely a little too sweet

Edit 2: where does one find a tiki mug that is 1) not racist and 2) not some dumb nerd thing. All the ones google turned up are ooga-booga or R2D2

Toebone fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 26, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meanwhile I am faced with the conundrum of too many limes

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Toebone posted:

Edit 2: where does one find a tiki mug that is 1) not racist and 2) not some dumb nerd thing. All the ones google turned up are ooga-booga or R2D2

I mean, the whole faux-Polynesian aesthetic of tiki could probably be construed as racist if you think about it too hard. Not a whole lot of alternative to silly pop culture stuff if you're ruling out every mug that's appropriating Polynesian art styles.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Toebone posted:

BonCera has all sorts of great ones which are neither racist or nerdy. I have a bunch. They have questionable ones, too, so you have to filter, but I have parrots and octopuses and all sorts of things like that .

Also, if you look around at vintage shops you'll find them. That's where I got my Trader Vic's coconuts, surfer themed ones, bamboo double old fashioned glasses, etc.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 27, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Death & Co. has some really cool ones

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

my kinda ape posted:

I mean, the whole faux-Polynesian aesthetic of tiki could probably be construed as racist if you think about it too hard. Not a whole lot of alternative to silly pop culture stuff if you're ruling out every mug that's appropriating Polynesian art styles.

not that Tiki isn' at all problematic but i feel like it's probably for the best that it's such a superficial grab bag of different cultural elements that it's more of a half-imagined fantasy from the start (albeit yeah definitely orientalist), created on its own instead of being an outgrowth of some colonial tradition

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Re: marg chat, agave syrup is really bad w/r/t sustainability. Tequila and mezcal are held to certain standards for agave harvesting and such, and agave syrup is not. There's a huge demand for alternative sugar sources right now and since agave syrup is entirely unregulated it's doing awful poo poo to Mexico's agave population. Please consider alternatives.

My marg is:

2oz tequila
1 lime
1/2 triple sec
1/4 2:1 simple

If I'm making blender margs, I really like them with mezcal, yellow Chartreuse and an avocado.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Gentle goons, I tried to make a pomelo mojito using the following recipe:

2 tbsp pomelo juice (fresh)
4 tbsp white rum
handful of mint (~10 leaves)
2 tsp ultra-fine sugar
club soda

It was awful. The bitterness of the pomelo overwhelmed all the other flavors. Even after I added another tsp of sugar, the bitterness still created a powerful and unpleasant aftertaste. What did I do wrong? I don't like overly sweet cocktails. (My exact order to the bartender includes the words "not too sweet," regardless of what I'm ordering just to be clear.)

Am I just not meant to make mojitos at home? They seem so easy on paper.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brennanite posted:

(My exact order to the bartender includes the words "not too sweet," regardless of what I'm ordering just to be clear.)

Oh my god, it's you. You, the one I hate more than anyone else.

Would you ever dream of ordering, say, fried rice and stipulating to your server "not too salty"? Why in the world would you think that the bartender's default is to make the cocktail "too sweet"? How could they possibly know what your personal preference is? How could it possibly be helpful for you to say "don't make it in a way that I don't like"?

As a bartender, you are the person I dread to serve.

e: To answer your question, pomelos are always gonna be bitter as gently caress and it sounds like your spec is short on sugar in the first place. Quit being shy about sugar!

prayer group fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 27, 2021

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
/\ this

Also you should try 1.5T(3/4oz) lime and 1T(1/2oz) pomelo. And make a simple syrup and start with at least 3/4oz. Personally I’d probably say the ideal spot is closer to an ounce.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

prayer group posted:

Why in the world would you think that the bartender's default is to make the cocktail "too sweet"?

Because the average customer wants a drink where the primary, secondary, and tertiary flavors are sugar so you can't taste any alcohol. As a bartender it's your job to make what the customer wants more than it is to make good drinks. "Not too sweet" seems to me like the least offensive way to ask for a properly balanced drink

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

eSports Chaebol posted:

Because the average customer wants a drink where the primary, secondary, and tertiary flavors are sugar so you can't taste any alcohol. As a bartender it's your job to make what the customer wants more than it is to make good drinks. "Not too sweet" seems to me like the least offensive way to ask for a properly balanced drink

Don’t order $1 margs at Applebee’s?

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Don’t put syrup in a margarita. What is going on here?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Good cocktails are made exactly the way I like. Bad cocktails are made the way people inferior to me like.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

Not true at all, in my experience.

I’ll give you the second point.

Then the customer should also say “not too sour, not too bitter, not too cold or warm, not too salty, not too strong...” gtfo. Maybe the customer should trust that their bartender makes balanced drinks, or not order a Mojito in the first place if they know they don’t like sweet drinks.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Yea sugar is the bartender s salt doesn't mean everything's gonna come out cloyingly sweet there's a reason "not too sweet" is a bartender meme.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Can't we read between the lines here and understand that "not too sweet" is usually shorthand for "I prefer my drinks on the less sweet side" and not any kind of indictment of the bartender's ability? Plenty of drinks you can make sweeter or less sweet and still be reasonably balanced. That person's just telling you they like the less sweet side of things, it's fine, don't take it personally.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Don't order drinks that are sweet and ask for them to not be sweet. You don't order tomato soup and ask for it to not be too tomato-y.

By and large the people who I've seen do this are older (like 45 and up) who are used to the era of bars where it was all freepoured sugary dogshit with names like Slippery Nipple and Cocksucker or whatever. Sometimes its even some misguided assumption that you would accommodate their request by adding more alchohol, or replacing the syrup with alchohol, which is also a carryover from that era (the thought that this would ever happen, not the fact that it does).

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 27, 2021

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, any good cocktail bar understands that sugar is a necessity. A drink may lean more toward one side or the other, but generally you’re balancing sweet, bitter, acidic, and boozy flavors (plus other weirdness like herbal, floral, salty, etc.). Non-sweet cocktails still often contain sugar because it balances the rest of the flavors.

Trust your bartender. If they give you a drink that’s unpalatable you can tell them, but tailor your expectations to the bar. If you’re in a nice place that’s actually measuring pours, you should expect the drinks to be made as they should be without worry. In that case your problem will be with the entire recipe, not an overpour of syrup.

Edit: The worst is when I’m at my usual tiki bar and a customer requests “something fruity, not too sweet.” They get told that’s basically the entire menu.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 27, 2021

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Also: if you are worried about drinks being too sweet, order drinks that doesn't call for added sugar. There are a ton of excellent cocktails that don't. :shrug:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
recipes are adaptable to people's tastes

some people expect margaritas to be sweet; some people think its an abomination to put syrup in a margarita (as evidenced by this thread)

if youre ordering a house cocktail, its probably more reasonable to ask whether a drink is sweet or not if you cant tell by the ingredient list than to ask it to be less sweet but i dont think its completely unreasonable to specify things about a common cocktail if youre in a particular mood about it (e.g. the base spirit or whether its up or on the rocks or whatever)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At this stage I am 110% on the side of "trust the bartender / chef / professional to make something I might like and that I haven't tried before" as opposed to "I just want exactly the same thing I've had a million times before and want every establishment I wander into to make it exactly to my dumbass specifications".

Like the whole point of a particular bar being better than any other bar is that they have their own unique style and ideas

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s like getting a meal and immediately dumping salt and pepper or hot sauce on it without even looking or tasting it.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

At this stage I am 110% on the side of "trust the bartender / chef / professional to make something I might like and that I haven't tried before" as opposed to "I just want exactly the same thing I've had a million times before and want every establishment I wander into to make it exactly to my dumbass specifications".

Like the whole point of a particular bar being better than any other bar is that they have their own unique style and ideas

The prevailing attitude in the us when it comes to food and drink is to act like you know best, usually people just pick a drink order and stick to it, though this is changing. Also sweet drinks rule, love a reverse manhattan

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
So, that...started things. :yikes:

A God drat Ghost posted:

Can't we read between the lines here and understand that "not too sweet" is usually shorthand for "I prefer my drinks on the less sweet side" and not any kind of indictment of the bartender's ability? Plenty of drinks you can make sweeter or less sweet and still be reasonably balanced. That person's just telling you they like the less sweet side of things, it's fine, don't take it personally.

This is certainly what I intended to convey by "not too sweet."

prayer group posted:

Oh my god, it's you. You, the one I hate more than anyone else.

Would you ever dream of ordering, say, fried rice and stipulating to your server "not too salty"? Why in the world would you think that the bartender's default is to make the cocktail "too sweet"? How could they possibly know what your personal preference is? How could it possibly be helpful for you to say "don't make it in a way that I don't like"?

As a bartender, you are the person I dread to serve.

e: To answer your question, pomelos are always gonna be bitter as gently caress and it sounds like your spec is short on sugar in the first place. Quit being shy about sugar!

Sorry? (I don't think you've actually served me, but just in case.) I assume the bartender doesn't know my personal preference and that's why I say "not too sweet." If there's a more polite way to convey preferences, please let me know.

Bunch of people posted:

Trust the bartender
If I'm at an actual bar, my order is "bartender's choice, just not too sweet." I don't often drink cocktails, so this has always seemed like a way to get a good drink that I might otherwise not know existed.

If I'm at, say, On the Border, then yes, I do order a mojito because I figure they are unlikely to disappoint. I was trying to make a mojito because I figured even I could make it without screwing it up, then I got ambitious and added the pomelo because I was trying to make the one billionth Saturday night at home due to a pandemic less depressing.

I swear I was not trying to malign a noble profession.

QuantumNinja posted:

Also: if you are worried about drinks being too sweet, order drinks that doesn't call for added sugar. There are a ton of excellent cocktails that don't. :shrug:

I would legitimately be interested in hearing some of these because, as mentioned earlier, I don't really know much about cocktails.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There IS a difference between asking for "something not too sweet" and "a daiquiri, but not too sweet" or whatever

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Brennanite posted:

I would legitimately be interested in hearing some of these because, as mentioned earlier, I don't really know much about cocktails.

I’m gonna recommend one of my favorite cocktails here, which is the Gordon’s Cup, originally found in the book Regarding Cocktails. If you’ve got gin, lime juice, cucumber, sugar, and salt and pepper, you can make yourself a cocktail that is exquisitely balanced: crisp, refreshing, sweet and savory all at once. Go for it!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Brennanite posted:

I'm sure other people can suggest even better ones, but my favorites that you can get in most any bar: Sidecar (esp. alongside a tropical IPA), Manhattan, Negroni, Gin & Tonic, Vodka Cranberry. Depending on how well-equipped the bar is (and how knowledgable the bartender), you can also get cocktails like a Last Word, Corpse Reviver (#1 or #2), Salty Dog, and Dark and Stormy.

E: And if you're making cocktails at home, you owe it to yourself to seek out the ingredients to make a proper Blood and Sand. I've never been in a bar with blood orange juice and cherry heering, but I often buy 4-6 blood oranges whenever I see them in the grocery store expressly for that purpose.

Edit 2: That said, B&S are very sweet, so maybe don't have one.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 27, 2021

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

QuantumNinja posted:

E: And if you're making cocktails at home, you owe it to yourself to seek out the ingredients to make a proper Blood and Sand. I've never been in a bar with blood orange juice and cherry heering, but I often buy 4-6 blood oranges whenever I see them in the grocery store expressly for that purpose.

What the gently caress. This is way more offensive than any of that other not too sweet talk.

Edit: not to mention a couple of the drinks you recommended are “sweet” like a dark n stormy or at least not not-sweet, like a Negroni

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 27, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Blood and Sand is one of the worst drinks I've ever had wtf

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Blood and Sand was one of the first cocktails I made when I started stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new drinks. I thought I had completely screwed up the recipe. But nope, it's just a real bad drink.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Blood and Sand is one of the worst drinks I've ever had wtf

Then you've been having bad blood and sands. It's a total staple drink for me at my favorite steak house.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Then you've been having bad blood and sands. It's a total staple drink for me at my favorite steak house.

I trust the opinion of someone who drinks Blood and Sands at a steakhouse, yes

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You should.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Better than steaks at a cocktail bar :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Maestro posted:

What the gently caress. This is way more offensive than any of that other not too sweet talk.

I've never had a good Blood and Sand at a bar, and have seen a shocking number made with normal orange juice, which I'd agree are truly awful. But if you get a nice mid-range scotch and juice the blood oranges yourself, it's an awesome cocktail. :colbert:

The Maestro posted:

Edit: not to mention a couple of the drinks you recommended are “sweet” like a dark n stormy or at least not not-sweet, like a Negroni

He asked for ones without added sugar, those are ones without added sugar.