Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My workplace seems to have a lottery system where some people are receiving notice they can get the vaccine and others aren't so lucky yet. Pure randomness, I like it.

Mine did something similar. After they split people into tiers, first based on unit type, then subdivided by personal risk factors, they randomized them to two different groups on the idea that if something unexpected did happen with the vaccine (like a fever for a day or two) they wouldn't knock out the whole covid-ICU staff at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Got my vaccine on the 21st, so far I seem to be the only person amongst those I know who've gotten it to have any effects other than a sore arm- I got fever and chills starting about 12 hours post that lasted about 5-6 hours, and left me feeling like I used to after working retail- beaten and sore. But, I also have some known health issues that cause immune system fuckery too, so there's that.

I'm trying to make arrangements to be off the day after my booster, because I'm supposed to get the 2nd round (which I've heard is worse) on the 11th and then work 3 12's the 3 days after.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Best of luck to you on the 2nd round!

Our work is "highly encouraging" us to try and make sure our 2nd scheduled COVID vaccination is at minimum 36-48 hours before we go back to work. I'm guessing that this second one I'm going to feel like garbage afterwards.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Got news today that staff on my unit may now receive the vaccine, but "only 15% of teams may be vaccinated at the same time." So I assume they'll be batch vaccinating weekly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm getting my 2nd dose this week. Ready to get it over and done with, and I really hope that they start opening it up to the masses soon cause SC is exploding with cases.

My hospital recently sent out a notice to all staff saying if you don't sign up for your first dose by 1/13 than you go to the back of the line. I'm surprised at how many clinicians I know that aren't getting the vaccine.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Does anyone have any insight on quality of life for nurses in colorado? Specifically fort collins/northern areas of denver.

Considering a move from Oregon. I know that I'd be leaving a state where the nursing union is strong, and the last two states I worked (new Mexico and Kansas) were ripe with loving nurses over hardcore.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Nice and hot piss posted:

Does anyone have any insight on quality of life for nurses in colorado? Specifically fort collins/northern areas of denver.

Considering a move from Oregon. I know that I'd be leaving a state where the nursing union is strong, and the last two states I worked (new Mexico and Kansas) were ripe with loving nurses over hardcore.

I moved to Colorado from Arizona at the beginning of the year and... pay here sucks, especially considering the cost of living. I took almost a $7/hr hit. I’m in Denver though, so I can’t really speak to Fort Collins.

I work for an HCA hospital (barf), lately they’ve been offering a lot of bonus contracts. You sign on to work an extra shift a week for four weeks and get a $2000 bonus on top of the overtime, but you’re also the first to float on your extra shifts and people tend to get dumped on. The general attitude is you really have to earn that extra money, even among management, which I think is kinda gross.

There’s not a big union presence here, as far as I can tell.

It’s gorgeous though! And really nice if you even slightly enjoy being outdoors.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

I moved to Colorado from Arizona at the beginning of the year and... pay here sucks, especially considering the cost of living. I took almost a $7/hr hit. I’m in Denver though, so I can’t really speak to Fort Collins.

I work for an HCA hospital (barf), lately they’ve been offering a lot of bonus contracts. You sign on to work an extra shift a week for four weeks and get a $2000 bonus on top of the overtime, but you’re also the first to float on your extra shifts and people tend to get dumped on. The general attitude is you really have to earn that extra money, even among management, which I think is kinda gross.

There’s not a big union presence here, as far as I can tell.

It’s gorgeous though! And really nice if you even slightly enjoy being outdoors.

All of those bonuses are upfront here in Oregon, where the incentive to work extra is quite nice and it's hit or miss if you're going to get dumped on. Pay is good, but where I'm at there is only one hospital system so they do have the leverage of "well you live here, you either abide by our rules or you can leave."

Gorgeous here as well, although Colorado definitely has it's own beauty. My hospital isn't unionized but everywhere else within the system is so to keep things kosher the management abides by what I assume are the best of the union rules in regards to pay/safe staffing etc etc.

But good information to know, thanks!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

All of those bonuses are upfront here in Oregon, where the incentive to work extra is quite nice and it's hit or miss if you're going to get dumped on. Pay is good, but where I'm at there is only one hospital system so they do have the leverage of "well you live here, you either abide by our rules or you can leave."

Gorgeous here as well, although Colorado definitely has it's own beauty. My hospital isn't unionized but everywhere else within the system is so to keep things kosher the management abides by what I assume are the best of the union rules in regards to pay/safe staffing etc etc.

I really miss the PNW, I’m actually considering moving to Seattle in the near future. If I’m gonna live somewhere obscenely expensive I might as well make decent money, too

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Make 'em union too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Best of luck to you on the 2nd round!

Our work is "highly encouraging" us to try and make sure our 2nd scheduled COVID vaccination is at minimum 36-48 hours before we go back to work. I'm guessing that this second one I'm going to feel like garbage afterwards.

I received the 2nd Pfizer dose about 12 hours ago. So far the only side effect is a minor sore arm, same as the 1st dose. Two of my teammates had little to no side effects on their 2nd dose. I caught wind that someone in the department has had to take 2 days of PTO after their 2nd dose, so who knows. Hopefully I'm still feeling good in the morning.

Best of luck everyone!

*I spoke a little soon. Woke up at 0300 feeling slightly feverish with chills, fatigue, and a headache. Been pretty persistent throughout the way, hasn't become any worse. It's not incapacitating but I probably wouldn't want to work a 12 hour shift bedside like this.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 15, 2021

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I received the 2nd Pfizer dose about 12 hours ago. So far the only side effect is a minor sore arm, same as the 1st dose. Two of my teammates had little to no side effects on their 2nd dose. I caught wind that someone in the department has had to take 2 days of PTO after their 2nd dose, so who knows. Hopefully I'm still feeling good in the morning.

Best of luck everyone!

*I spoke a little soon. Woke up at 0300 feeling slightly feverish with chills, fatigue, and a headache. Been pretty persistent throughout the way, hasn't become any worse. It's not incapacitating but I probably wouldn't want to work a 12 hour shift bedside like this.

I ended up feeling like complete absolute garbage after 12 hours. Fever of around 102, chills, night sweats, muscle aches, and a massive headache. Continued into the next day after a horrible attempt at sleeping and getting maybe only 3 hours of continual sleep. I ended up staying in bed for about a total of 17 hours, to which when I woke up I felt like my normal self. No meds taken during that time and I just rode it out.

two days after, I was back at work completely normal. I had a super good immune response and I feel like a normal human being again.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

My second dose (Pfizer) was pretty rough. Woke up the morning after with a low-grade fever (38.2) and spent a few hours vomiting, then was horribly fatigued for the next couple days.

Looking forward to 95% immunity though!!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I have mine scheduled for next Friday and I'm trying to get my call covered cause I've heard its roooough. My manager took like 2-3 days of PTO for hers.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
First Moderna shot experience:
Day 0: sore arm, felt other wise
Day 1: woke up in the middle of the night in PAIN, felt dehydrated and fevered. Later that day, fever spiked to 102. Fever broke just before bedtime.
Day 2 and beyond: diminishingly sore arm, felt otherwise fine

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

My second dose (Pfizer) was pretty rough. Woke up the morning after with a low-grade fever (38.2) and spent a few hours vomiting, then was horribly fatigued for the next couple days.

Looking forward to 95% immunity though!!

I was under the impression it's disease severity reduction, not transmission prevention.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lovelyn posted:

First Moderna shot experience:
Day 0: sore arm, felt other wise
Day 1: woke up in the middle of the night in PAIN, felt dehydrated and fevered. Later that day, fever spiked to 102. Fever broke just before bedtime.
Day 2 and beyond: diminishingly sore arm, felt otherwise fine

I got really sick from the second Pfizer dose, spiked a 103 temp even after taking a gram of Tylenol, ended up in the ER a bit. I got covid though in between shots and nobody told me I wasn’t supposed to get the second shot until much later in that case.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i hate online classes so goddamn much

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Starting an MSN in nursing education for funsies in May. I'm currently a new WOC nurse and, while I'm told that I'm a good teacher, I don't *feel* like a good teacher. So, gonna take classes to learn to teach nurses!

Every time I miss ICU, I visit my old unit and watch the chaos while charting and that reminds my brain how much less stressful my life is now. Being a butt skin expert isn't glamorous, but it beats hypertension in my 20's from worrying 12 hours a day.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Well my job took a 180 turn from great to absolute dog poo poo. That's fine since I am out of here come July/August. Aside from travel nursing are there any jobs that are semi tolerable that can be done remotely which pay enough money for me to cover roughly 1300 a month in expenses for 4-5 months?

Strip clubs haven't opened up yet here and they aren't looking for pale white guys anyways

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Remotely could be the hard part. I hear there is money to be made as a PRN covid vaccine administrator right now. CVS, Walgreens, local clinics all looking to hire up for the massive logistical nightmare of vaccinating everyone.

Part of me thought about pursuing that easy money but I'm enjoying easy money right as an Epic analyst, working remote.

*Maybe doing chart audits/reviews for lawyers, insurance companies etc...

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 12, 2021

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm halfways considering just doing a mundane job for 4-6 months while I ride out the winter. There's a few lateral positions within the hospital system doing stuff such as quality which I wouldn't be opposed to, and they'll just be pissed after I sit in a position for a while and bounce. Biggest thing I worry about is trying to land a job back in the system but in a different position, granted I'd probably be working as an APP rather than an RN by that time (given I get accepted into NP school this fall)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

I'm halfways considering just doing a mundane job for 4-6 months while I ride out the winter. There's a few lateral positions within the hospital system doing stuff such as quality which I wouldn't be opposed to, and they'll just be pissed after I sit in a position for a while and bounce. Biggest thing I worry about is trying to land a job back in the system but in a different position, granted I'd probably be working as an APP rather than an RN by that time (given I get accepted into NP school this fall)

Who cares if “they” get pissed? The QC people don’t need to know your future plans when you apply for a new current position, and your current manager doesn’t need the brutal truth for why you want a different job. Anyway, “being accepted to grad school” is a good reason to leave the hospital system while still being on good terms. It’s not like the same people would be interviewing you for an APP job anyway, and literally nobody is going to care if your last few months as an RN were in a different department.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Koivunen posted:

Who cares if “they” get pissed? The QC people don’t need to know your future plans when you apply for a new current position, and your current manager doesn’t need the brutal truth for why you want a different job. Anyway, “being accepted to grad school” is a good reason to leave the hospital system while still being on good terms. It’s not like the same people would be interviewing you for an APP job anyway, and literally nobody is going to care if your last few months as an RN were in a different department.

That's a pretty valid point, I also just need to consider the fact that I'd be an 8-4 mon-fri employee which is vastly different than I have ever worked before. But it means being away from the garbage that has ensued in my position and could be tolerable for the next 5 months

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Anyone have experience with remote nursing jobs? I'm licensed in Ohio but I live in Spain, and am trying to get my license recognized over here, but it's a big bureaucratic nightmare and in the meantime I need to make some money. I have no idea what to expect with remote nursing jobs and if they'd even be possible with the time difference. Looking for any thoughts/suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
drat guess I really killed it huh

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have experience with remote nursing school

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Meet the face of “I drink one glass of wine a day.”

I drew this lab at least 12 hours after he showed up to the ER

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 25, 2021

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i have experience with remote nursing school

My school insisted on using Second Life for some of the courses.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I'm starting a side job as a clinical instructor this week. First hospital placement for these students, hope it goes alright!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Meet the face of “I drink one glass of wine a day.”

I drew this lab at least 12 hours after he showed up to the ER

Dude must have been at a good ~530 in that case.

Also, when redacting information ensure the opacity is set to 100% because I can read the providers name :haw:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone have experience with remote nursing jobs? I'm licensed in Ohio but I live in Spain, and am trying to get my license recognized over here, but it's a big bureaucratic nightmare and in the meantime I need to make some money. I have no idea what to expect with remote nursing jobs and if they'd even be possible with the time difference. Looking for any thoughts/suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance

When you say remote, do you mean remote jobs like telehealth or remote jobs as in chart audits or analyst work?

I've been working remotely for the past year as an EHR analyst, if you have specific questions around that. My advice would be to hop on the job sites (indeed, ziprecruiter, linkedin etc...) and apply to anything and everything that has a 'remote' location requirement, and roll from there.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Roki B posted:

Dude must have been at a good ~530 in that case.

Also, when redacting information ensure the opacity is set to 100% because I can read the providers name :haw:

He was dropped off in the ER because his family said he was having “fainting spells”

Likely he had smuggled some of that into the ER.

Ugh iPhones default tools are garbage

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 25, 2021

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

He was dropped off in the ER because his family said he was having “fainting spells”

Likely he had smuggled some of that into the ER.

Ugh iPhones default tools are garbage

Never rule out the classic ritual of eating the hand sanitizer gel. Although I have seen people with a 500+ ETOH just chilling out in the ED.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

trauma llama posted:

Never rule out the classic ritual of eating the hand sanitizer gel. Although I have seen people with a 500+ ETOH just chilling out in the ED.

gently caress that didn’t even occur to me. I’ve been spoiled by working within the military system.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Colorado RN here. Most think pay is generally outpaced by the cost of living. This is probably more manageable outside of the central Denver metro area though, where housing is most expensive. It’ll definitely be better up around FoCo or Longmont and those are great places to live.

I like my med surg job, but I’ve only been an RN for a year without much to compare it to. At my hospital day RNs are typically 4/5:1 and the ICU is 2/1:1. Coming from a unionized state you will probably find the quality of life/pay a bit lacking at best and it will vary a lot by what hospital/system/unit you find work in.

HealthOne seems to have the worst reputation out here. I’d generally avoid their hospitals. When I drive by North Suburban I specifically tell my girlfriend not to let anyone take her there

hobbez fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2021

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
Does anyone who works as a nurse in Canada (literally ANYWHERE in Canada) know if it's possible to find a hospital job that doesn't have rotating shifts? I've been looking at jobs around the country out of curiosity and it seems like it's impossible to find a part-time or full-time job that has consistent day or night shifts. How does anyone live like this? :psyduck:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

rosenritter posted:

Does anyone who works as a nurse in Canada (literally ANYWHERE in Canada) know if it's possible to find a hospital job that doesn't have rotating shifts? I've been looking at jobs around the country out of curiosity and it seems like it's impossible to find a part-time or full-time job that has consistent day or night shifts. How does anyone live like this? :psyduck:

Many hospitals in my province are unionized and have this rotation as as part of their contract language. Often your best shot is to find a partner on you line that prefers one or the other. Obviously, that has to happen after you're hired. The other way is to have straight days as a medical accommodation. Now of course there are more "sought-after" positions that would likely be straight days. These would be department-specific; things like a cancer clinic, nuclear medicine assistant, sometimes PACU, sometimes Cath Lab, endoscopy...
Part-time seems even more unlikely to have straight days or nights, given the nature of the scheduling.

To answer your second question, you get used to it. I don't find it bad. I work with a few nurses that even do 3D1N as opposed to the classic 2D2N.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 28, 2021

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

rosenritter posted:

Talk to someone on the unit, when I was making the schedule the problem was always filling in night shift, not days (until the vacancy rates got really insane anyway) so even if the contract said rotating, someone who wanted straight nights was getting what they wanted. Days, yeah, depending on how short they are for nights, rotating was just what I had to do to have coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Learn French and come to Quebec; we still run on 8h shifts and most positions are (still) single shift. Plus with Covid shortages regional health authorities are desperate to hire.