Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

You definitely want to inset both sides of the hinge, having one hinge exposed won't help you with swelling since the hinges sit flush metal to metal no matter what, you want your reveal (gap) between the doors to be what compensates for the swelling.

Also I'd favor a less ridgid mount between the doors and the frame, the last thing you want is to shatter the glass in those doors because the floppy box on your truck flexes too much.

E: ugh, went back to look at your original pictures, and your framing around them is soooo floppy, like I'd open that wall back up and add at least 1 framing member to each side, and add a header made from 2x 2x4s laid on edge minimum. At least it's sheared with plywood I guess, how is that plywood mounted to those studs?

What do you suggest for the less ridgid mount?

Yeah I intend to open the wall back up to make adjustments for the final doors. I was just roughing in something functional for the time being. I just have the plywood screwed onto the studs at the top and bottom corner. Just enough to hold it until I set the permanent location. Likely not going to be able to fit headers as the opening is already only 76 inches if I recall. I have to cut 4 inches off the 80 inch long door to fit the frame. I will remeasure when I go to cut the doors. I can anchor the top plate to the roof support though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ry here's a question.

Have you tried financial discipline.
Like not accidentally buying 3000 dollar telescopes?

Maybe find a thing you want at the $100 mark and out $20 or 40 a week away for it until you can buy it? Hiding your money on yourself is not a good idea as your really still not teaching yourself things and instead you're buying 3000 telescopes and still focused on spending 10k on land that is full of bullshit from start to finish.

Really you need a budget, even a spreadsheet one to categorize your expenses and limit your fun money exposure. Also apr 2022 is a long time away for buying land. The process is not that long. I stated looking for homes in Jan of 19 and closed in apr of 20. And that was a house with inspections and appraisals, and banks and mortgages. Edit: oh and the start of a global fuckin pandemic.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I don’t think the knowledge you have about borrowing from your 401(k) is correct and you may want to double and triple check that with someone who knows what they’re talking about.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

Yeah I intend to open the wall back up to make adjustments for the final doors. I was just roughing in something functional for the time being. I just have the plywood screwed onto the studs at the top and bottom corner. Just enough to hold it until I set the permanent location. Likely not going to be able to fit headers as the opening is already only 76 inches if I recall. I have to cut 4 inches off the 80 inch long door to fit the frame. I will remeasure when I go to cut the doors. I can anchor the top plate to the roof support though.

Whatever you do, make sure you cut before you measure. Leap before you look. Pay before you research. Select a solution before investigating options.

And, most importantly, never, ever, ever take advice from anyone on the internet or telephone unless you pay them IN ADVANCE.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rytheric posted:

This is how it's typically locked then a bolt lock on one side. I intend to have these locks on both doors to compensate for truk movement and on both sides so I can lock it in place as I exit.

And then one day the rotten kid who lives up the road wanders by, sees you snoozing in there, locks you in from the outside, and runs away laughing his rear end in a top hat head off.

Might be worth looking into a regular deadbolt, with a key on the outside and a knob inside.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you CAN borrow from your 401k, generally 50% of your savings or 50k whichever is less (different or a home purchase but you're buying land not a house)

This is a bad idea for Ry (and most others unless there's a dire emergency and they don't have a well stocked emergency fund)

1. As I detailed above Ry shoudl be focusing on better financial discipline, poo poo the fuckin telescope he bought is 1/3 of the price of this property! Living this minimalist lifestyle he should 100% be able to scrape 10 grand together easily.
2. you borrow money from yourself, and you end up losing market gains on that money, so yes you are paying around 5% interest to yourself but you're losing a LOT more of that in unrealized gains (My 12 month average is somewhere around 20%, so a 401k loan to myself would cost me 15% interest)
2a. You pay a fee to borrow the money, usually not much but you're still losing money in administration fees.
3. Lose your job/ move jobs? Pay up suckka, you have a limited amount of time to pay that loan back ASAP or face taxes and early withdrawal penalties.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I don’t think the knowledge you have about borrowing from your 401(k) is correct and you may want to double and triple check that with someone who knows what they’re talking about.

My boss suggested I do it that way. He has paid for many wrecks his sons have gotten into that way (has 4 sons) and he has taken out loans from it to pay for rvs and tow trucks and renovations a couple times. There are rules to it which I am abiding by. The interest you pay to yourself isn't as much as you'd make if you kept the money in it though.

tater_salad posted:

Ry here's a question.

Like not accidentally buying 3000 dollar telescopes?

Maybe find a thing you want at the $100 mark and out $20 or 40 a week away for it until you can buy it? Hiding your money on yourself is not a good idea as your really still not teaching yourself things and instead you're buying 3000 telescopes and still focused on spending 10k on land that is full of bullshit from start to finish.

Really you need a budget, even a spreadsheet one to categorize your expenses and limit your fun money exposure. Also apr 2022 is a long time away for buying land. The process is not that long. I stated looking for homes in Jan of 19 and closed in apr of 20. And that was a house with inspections and appraisals, and banks and mortgages. Edit: oh and the start of a global fuckin pandemic.

The point of moving in with my boss was to learn more financial discipline and such. (he manages $6m a year at work on top of being a geotech engineer). One of his sons is a millionaire from a business he started. I go talk with him and such when we got to work on hemp farm from time to time (his girl friends dad has 100 acres and she and her father like to do farming experiments we get involved in). I did have a budget for a while. Paid off all my debt except student loans and I was donating 10% to the less fortunate around me. I was using eve echoes as a way to practice some of the financial principles I was learning such as the 1:5 rule and such. I was doing well, but once I opened the floodgates to buy the property my inner spendthrift surfaced. It's subsiding now that I got the telescope I've been wanting for over half a decade now that I will probably only use in the fall and the reality of things are starting to kick in. I probably should have stuck to my original plan.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 27, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You're literally screwing yourself over to provide entertainment for a bunch of random people on a web forum.

Maybe somebody just needed the voice how ridiculous that is.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Powered Descent posted:

And then one day the rotten kid who lives up the road wanders by, sees you snoozing in there, locks you in from the outside, and runs away laughing his rear end in a top hat head off.

Might be worth looking into a regular deadbolt, with a key on the outside and a knob inside.

Like a deadbolt that locks into the floor and top plate framing? That's a good idea. I was just going to kick the door open and repair it if that happened, but now that I have a cab walk through I was going to walk out the cab door and unlock it. But this is a better idea.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

Anyway back to GroverTruk. I think we've had enough talk on the land of MurderHaus that it's fatiguing people.

Here are the doors I am going to use as a reference when I hang my own French doors.

This is the general shape and lay out. From experience with this door in this climate I know that I need more of a gap than is provided by this door because they swell together pretty hard in the summer when it rains.

So this is how the hinges are. Im thinking about just chiseling the frame side instead of both the frame side and the door so there is a little more room to account for swelling. My doors at work are hinged like that so I may take a picture of it as an example.

This is how it's typically locked then a bolt lock on one side. I intend to have these locks on both doors to compensate for truk movement and on both sides so I can lock it in place as I exit.

People who paint without masking and removing hardware are worse than satan.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

Just have one door "fixed" with those up bolts, and have the other one attach to it with the normal latch and deadbolt. Leave generous gaps between the framing and top and bottom of the doors and make the difference up with thick foam weather stripping.

Also does one of your doors have a mullion?

The piece here with the brown weather strip

If not you may want to consider making one so the gap between the doors is sealed well and you don't have air movement, since those slab doors you posted look like interior doors.

Couple that with a thick curtain and it should cut down a lot on heat loss.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

beep-beep car is go posted:

This. Unbookmark, and walk away. It’s not fun anymore.

The fastest bigpeelering there's ever been.

Was fun while it lasted, but unfortunately the eccentric poster who stole everyone's hearts turned out to just be unsalvageable.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

E: ugh, went back to look at your original pictures, and your framing around them is soooo floppy, like I'd open that wall back up and add at least 1 framing member to each side, and add a header made from 2x 2x4s laid on edge minimum. At least it's sheared with plywood I guess, how is that plywood mounted to those studs?

Also one thing that I wanted to note. All the sills are nailed to the floor. The outer studs on the 2x6 exterior wall and cab wall are anchored to the side of the box truck through the wood stringers and into the metal studs of the box framing. The only part thats not anchored is the top plate which I will do once I go to start finishing the cieling and have the door in. For the interior 2x4 side walls. Behind each wooden stud is a metal stud which is why the 2x4s aren't using the traditional 16" oc spacing.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Of course the highly impractical style of doors bought at full retail price are a byproduct of a fixation on free doors that were no longer a possibility. Feeling silly for being confused why this was happening.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Just have one door "fixed" with those up bolts, and have the other one attach to it with the normal latch and deadbolt. Leave generous gaps between the framing and top and bottom of the doors and make the difference up with thick foam weather stripping.

Also does one of your doors have a mullion?

The piece here with the brown weather strip

If not you may want to consider making one so the gap between the doors is sealed well and you don't have air movement, since those slab doors you posted look like interior doors.

Couple that with a thick curtain and it should cut down a lot on heat loss.

I was going to add one when I started doing the trimming when everything was done.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The337th posted:

Of course the highly impractical style of doors bought at full retail price are a byproduct of a fixation on free doors that were no longer a possibility. Feeling silly for being confused why this was happening.

Lol. The inspiration for the French doors was before they suggested giving them to me. They weren't going to be like hey do you want a door? It was more hey I'm going to do this. And they were like well maybe we can help you by giving you ours when we renovate.

I wanted french doors because the part that I loved about the GroverTurk after I bought it and was just sleeping on an exposed couch in it, was that I could just park anywhere for lunch and just look out and enjoy nature while eating and lounging aabout.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 27, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

YOU ARE GETTING SCAMMED YOU IDIOT

New thread title.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rich people are not who you learn how to manage your money from. They have enough money that they can casually drop thousands on toys as impulse purchases, don't care about missing out on months of market gains on a few thousand in loans from their investments, etc. because they have an amount of wealth where that's trivial. People with profitable businesses make boneheaded decisions that don't destroy their business all the time.

You've missed out on a huge stock market ramp up since midway through last year. That's a fact. Your boss's suggestion to do that was bad. You make enough money that you can afford to save for retirement and also save for your projects, especially if you don't waste thousands of dollars on terrible land deals and impulsively purchased telescopes. Also bank loans are not only fine, they are way less likely to be scams.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

You've missed out on a huge stock market ramp up since midway through last year.

This is what hurts the most. :(

To be fair to my boss he doesn't do anything with the stock market. He was sold on a traditional life of just buy a house, have a wife, and four kids, just put money in your 401k and pension. He has rented out and renovated dinky houses though which were in his words a disaster.

My grandfathers plans were just live off the military for 20+ years and just buy a house. One on my mom's side bought a trailer on 2 acres. Built a garage around his water tower well house instead of an observatory, then added rooms to the small trailer as needed. Thats the side that im taking after apparently. Difference is I've been renting and don't have as much saved up as my gramps though he would have had 10 more years of saving on me before he bought it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Hmm. I probably shouldn't have seen this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I don't know why you think you know better than Ry here. He's simulated this money management plan several times in toilet eve and it always works. Compared to the rest of us he's literally got more practical experience.

Rytheric posted:

My boss suggested I do it that way.........
The point of moving in with my boss was to learn more financial discipline and such.

Findom is not the same as financial discipline, just in case you got confused. Also, if your boss is repeatedly taking 401(k) loans he's really bad with money. People who repeatedly do this only get away with it because they earn enough to paper over their own mistakes in fairly short order, meaning they would be in such a good financial position if they didn't keep loving up that they wouldn't be taking on hygiene-challenged lodgers and their box trucks for extra money.

You on the other hand don't earn much at all, and are likely to no be able to recover from something like this for many, many years. We're talking bankruptcy of course, but you're gonna end up owing the IRS also and guess what.....bankruptcy doesn't matter, they're gonna get their money.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Oh hey thread. It's been a few days since I checked in. What's going on in here?

Oh there's a lien now too. And this dude thinks he can live on site, build an entire house with chisels and a wooden mallet, no water or electric beyond a truck battery, and somehow complete construction in 2 years.

Cool, cool. Very cool

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

bEatmstrJ post the toilet you goddamn coward

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Ry, dude, I want you to do a little metacognitive exercise right now.

Pretend that you just met me, Bogus Adventure---a goon on a dead gay forum, and I told you about my 2 year plan in life. I love spending money I don't have on expensive things, like cam girl private sessions and $3000 microscopes. I'm currently living in the back of a converted UPS truck and I've been bouncing from one spot in the United States to another. I'm working at a job for some shmohawk in Jacksonville who is renting me a parking space so that I can live in my truck. I decided to start playing Toilet EVE because it has a pretty robust economy, and I'm bad with money. I have decided to start stashing everything I earn in Traditional IRAs (the Roth name sounds scary---who is this ROTH who will be holding onto my money?) to help cut back on my impulse buying. Unfortunately, my UPS truck's engine just crapped out on me because I was running it during the night to pump nice, piping hot exhaust into the cabin to keep me warm at night. I was originally going to pull out about $4k to get the engine fixed, but I stumbled upon this ad for a piece of land that is ONLY $8k. It's next to a swamp, there's a dilapidated garage on it, and it turns out that the neighbor's pool is on the property. Score! I pulled $8k out of my IRAs so that I can buy up this land and park my truck. Unfortunately, there's all this additional testing that I've learned about that I have to do. And the seller just doubled the price to $16k. Oh, and the seller's agent just told me that the seller is a lying piece of poo poo. I really want that property, though. I pulled the money out---although I only have $6k left after buying a limited edition Hatsune Miku figurine.

Do I sound like someone who has his life in order?

I get that I'm tossing in a lot of hyperbole here, but you've got a lot of people here who are trying to help you. You started playing Toilet EVE to get better with money and you learned a valuable lesson: you're way too trusting. Fortunately, this was just a game, and the goons saw how sincere and naive you are that they let you in on the joke and gave you your stuff back. That is a teachable moment: take a step back and think critically about what is going on with your life. We get that you've got the truck and you're looking to find a place to call your own rather than renting a parking spot. However, buying property is A Big Responsibility, and grabbing the first cheap parcel you find isn't always the best move. In fact, it looks an awful lot like the impulse buying issue that you have admitted you have a problem with. The only difference here is that the legal process is slowing you down rather than allowing you to slap money into the seller's palm.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tater_salad posted:

Ry here's a question.

I think we know the answer

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Drone posted:

The fastest bigpeelering there's ever been.

Was fun while it lasted, but unfortunately the eccentric poster who stole everyone's hearts turned out to just be unsalvageable.

Let's not give up so quickly. Zaurg got 10 years of attempts, I Ry is entitled to at least 2 or 3.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So good news. I bolted down the seats in the GroverTruk so it will pass the safety inspection now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rytheric posted:

So good news. I bolted down the seats in the GroverTruk so it will pass the safety inspection now.

Is a thing you should have said when you first didn't have said bolts in place.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

LMAO

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There's being bad with money, and there's red flags like uncontrollable impulse spending combined with flights of fancy and target fixation

Rytheric posted:

Good to hear that you won't be flung through the windshield!
Hey, how's the suspension look? I'm sure the bushings aren't in great shape, but with the glass in the doors, I'm now wondering how well the leaf springs have been holding up with 20-ish years of abuse. I know I've bottomed out the suspensions on our work trucks a few times because gently caress it, it's not my truck and I'm not making multiple trips

E:

tater_salad posted:

That's quitter talk. Just don't get into an accident

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 27, 2021

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

The Door Frame posted:

There's being bad with money, and there's red flags like uncontrollable impulse spending combined with flights of fancy and target fixation

Hey, how's the suspension look? I'm sure the bushings aren't in great shape, but with the glass in the doors, I'm now wondering how well the leaf springs have been holding up with 20-ish years of abuse. I know I've bottomed out the suspensions on our work trucks a few times because gently caress it, it's not my truck and I'm not making multiple trips

That brings up a good point. How are doors, manufactured to be installed in a stationary object, going to handle be installed in a box truck. I can imagine there’s going to be a lot of swaying and lateral motion the doors won’t like.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

koshmar posted:

That brings up a good point. How are doors, manufactured to be installed in a stationary object, going to handle be installed in a box truck. I can imagine there’s going to be a lot of swaying and lateral motion the doors won’t like.

As I've been saying, they won't. The logical assumption of doors like this, especially with windows in them, is that the door frame they are installed into will remain square and level. Not only didn't he buy a door frame, he obviously has no idea of how to build a door frame because the very simple wall framing he's shown is all done wrong and that's like the simplest possible framing to do. Making a door frame is pretty detailed and time consuming, which is why most of us buy pre-hung doors - i.e. the come with a frame and all the hardware cut in and installed.

But forget all of that. Truck frames and bodies are made to flex. A lot more than you think. So anything that has been fixed mounted in the back of this truck, including his framing, is just going to be getting stretched and crushed every time it's driven. This is bad enough with a bunch of dimensional lumber, but we've now added plate glass to the mix.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

koshmar posted:

:ssh: The vibrations from the truck driving will cause the frames to work loose, the glass to shatter, and the hinges to pull out of the frame, but don't tell Ry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

This is what hurts the most. :(

To be fair to my boss he doesn't do anything with the stock market. He was sold on a traditional life of just buy a house, have a wife, and four kids, just put money in your 401k and pension. He has rented out and renovated dinky houses though which were in his words a disaster.

My grandfathers plans were just live off the military for 20+ years and just buy a house. One on my mom's side bought a trailer on 2 acres. Built a garage around his water tower well house instead of an observatory, then added rooms to the small trailer as needed. Thats the side that im taking after apparently. Difference is I've been renting and don't have as much saved up as my gramps though he would have had 10 more years of saving on me before he bought it.

A 401(k) is an employer-offered retirement account. You put money in the account and maybe your employer puts some in too. Then you invest that money in something. A typical long-term investment would be perhaps some low-cost, index-based mutual funds invested in the total US stock market, the total US bond market, and an international market fund - the classic three-fund portfolio. That's investing in stocks, but not in the 'dabbling with stocks' gambling way some people mean it.

It is likely that your boss has money in stocks in his 401(k). As a landlord and the owner of a multi-million-dollar company he can sock away a ton of money that way and yes, have "traditional life" of being wealthy and financially secure.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

Ive been debating having a professional do it to save time, but I have a mechanic friend who is the driller who is encouraging me to do it myself and that he will help if need be. I've had a car fall on me before while I was working on it, so I'm slightly worried about the GroverTruk falling on me. If I can find a shop that will let me buy the parts and I just pay the labor that would be great.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Even without the doors, any walls or framing that goes in the back of this truck is going to be subjected to an insane amount of flex just driving the car down a street

Trucks like these are designed to bend a whole hell of a lot

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yeah, flexin on cars without french doors

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

koshmar posted:

If you can give them a good amount of space to move while the car is in motion and then close those gaps when the car is parked, I can see it work. I don't think there's a way to have the doors closed while driving without building a secondary suspension system that isolates the doors from the truck, or seriously reinforcing the box and improving its mounting on the frame, so that the box can't flex, and making sure the suspension is silky smooth so that the reinforced box doesn't crack under the stresses of driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

Ive been debating having a professional do it to save time, but I have a mechanic friend who is the driller who is encouraging me to do it myself and that he will help if need be. I've had a car fall on me before while I was working on it, so I'm slightly worried about the GroverTruk falling on me. If I can find a shop that will let me buy the parts and I just pay the labor that would be great.

Please do not do the work on this thing yourself. There is not enough time and crayons in this existence to explain all the loving ways you'll do it wrong while endangering yourself and others.