Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Savage Trinity Seeker clear! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I will say this about Aurum Vale; I'd probably run that than over ever doing another run of Neverreap ever again

Bruceski posted:

I don't want it to go full Drakengard. If it goes FULL Drakengard I figure (speculation) one of the dwarves will end up eating the other.

given that we already have Seeds of Destruction introduced, there is the chance that our friendly dwarf jumps in and makes himself into an abomination

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why do they call it neverreap when I'm always getting it in roulette?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cause you're not reaping

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MechaX posted:

given that we already have Seeds of Destruction introduced, there is the chance that our friendly dwarf jumps in and makes himself into an abomination

I figure THAT'S a given.

It was interesting to see people reaction to that scene depending on how much Yoko Taro they've experienced. Anywhere from "that looks ominous" to screaming.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dread castrum meridianum more than aurum vale because sometimes you get a party of 7 people who don't know the missile mechanics, and you're guaranteed to see it half the time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still hate aurum vale because it’s ugly

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
AV is a lot better now that coincounter as aoe markers too.

It's not a fun dungeon by any means but it's not painful anymore.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Augus posted:

I still hate aurum vale because it’s ugly

On this note, I hate it because I can imagine just how badly it smells in there.

The golden pools are mostly sulfur and there's loads of morbols in there so it has to smell worse than an open sewer.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
AV's best feature is syncing people to level 49.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
An unnerving number of ARR dungeons can be described as farting caves.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Renegret posted:

Coincounter's lack of aoe markers was the only fun part of AV.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Renegret posted:

This.

Except the opposite.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Bruceski posted:

New movie coming out, no better time. I kinda can't believe how hyped I am for that thing.

Shao Kahn knocking everyone off the arena with a raid wide aoe knock back.

"You Suck!"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

With how weird the MK games have been lately I could see a cross over working.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Renegret posted:

AV is a lot better worse now that coincounter as aoe markers too.

:emptyquote:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

aegof posted:

Until you have to solo the whole fight because everyone died six times.

The only fix to AV is making it end faster

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Renegret posted:

Until you have to solo the whole fight because everyone died six times.

The only fix to AV is making it end faster

Yeah, like, perhaps it's not as funny anymore that a team of experienced players gets to watch the newbie get totally pasted by Coincounter... but when it's more newbies, constantly getting pasted by untelegraphed nonsense unlike anything presented up to that point, it kinda sucks.

Aurum Vale is not nearly as hideous as it used to be, given power scaling differences and power set shuffling and the Coincounter tweak, but it's still challenging for complete novices, you're likely to wipe at least once, and also the first portion looks like pee. It's still bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
A goon in the discord mentioned this a while ago, but the way coincounter should have worked is by showing AOE indicators but only after a long enough delay that it's too late to react and dodge. That way newbies who keep getting pasted can learn at least what shape the AOEs are but they still have to watch the cast bar to know when to dodge.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 28, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A goon in the discord mentioned this a while ago, but the way coincounter should have worked is by showing AOE indicators but only after a long enough delay that it's too late to react and dodge. That way newbies who keep getting pasted can learn at least what shape the AOEs are but they still have to watch the cast bar to know when to dodge.

:agreed:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ffxiv marketing has now leaned into the free trial meme with new ads

https://twitter.com/RWilkes94/status/1365834812943122445

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think that's a meme, I think it's just that the trial is legitimately a selling point

ad is very dumb though

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"What'cha watchin?"

"*sigh* Umm, it's called the Praetorium. See, we signed up for this free trial of FFXIV and, well... the cutscenes..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will prefer Aurum Vale 10 times out of 10 over Copperbell or Toto-Rak. Those dungeons are like jabbing needles into my eyes not because they are tough but because they are so loving dull. Copperbell in particular is loving awful for 2 out of its 3 bosses involving "stand around and wait doing nothing until an add that dies in .1 seconds shows up."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wish estinien was chilling in my living room too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think that's a meme, I think it's just that the trial is legitimately a selling point

ad is very dumb though

I mean the free trial does allow you to play up to level 60 and includes both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Augus posted:

I wish estinien was chilling in my living room too

He's just trying to get away from Krile and Tataru.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I will prefer Aurum Vale 10 times out of 10 over Copperbell or Toto-Rak. Those dungeons are like jabbing needles into my eyes not because they are tough but because they are so loving dull. Copperbell in particular is loving awful for 2 out of its 3 bosses involving "stand around and wait doing nothing until an add that dies in .1 seconds shows up."
Even Toto-Rak can actually be finished in like 12 minutes by a good party.

Copperbell is hell. There's just nothing to do but sit around forever, until the weird gimmick boss where pubs may actually mess it up.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How do you make bozja not suck? Even the unavoidable boss aoes do like 90% of my hp

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

brand engager posted:

How do you make bozja not suck? Even the unavoidable boss aoes do like 90% of my hp

always be running essences and ideally mooching protect/shell to make everything much more survivable. In general, bozja is significantly more fun with even one friend to work with.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I just unlocked it today, so I don't really have many of those lost item things unlocked

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

aegof posted:

Coincounter getting AoE markers is interesting because there's a lot of coincounter-derivative bosses with the same tells that all kind of assume you've done AV and learned those tells already, so now that you don't have to learn them those bosses suddenly become more difficult to figure out.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Zinkraptor posted:

Coincounter getting AoE markers is interesting because there's a lot of coincounter-derivative bosses with the same tells that all kind of assume you've done AV and learned those tells already, so now that you don't have to learn them those bosses suddenly become more difficult to figure out.

Counterpoint: The most recent Coincounter clone (Kyklops in Anamnensis Anyder) also has AoE markers on its attacks, and none of them are strict enough that you need to have internalized the tells from earlier versions in order to avoid them.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Halatali hard still has the coincounter without any aoe markers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As does Fractal Continuum.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Martman posted:

Even Toto-Rak can actually be finished in like 12 minutes by a good party.

Copperbell is hell. There's just nothing to do but sit around forever, until the weird gimmick boss where pubs may actually mess it up.

This. I've run Totorak in 8 in a roulette, although that is basically a luck draw on whether you have rDPS for aoe.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

brand engager posted:

If you're in one of the critical engagements usually just /say LFG and someone will invite you into their party. It's not a commitment, people just drop group right after.

If you're rolling solo you need to have some kind of healing or you're gonna die a lot. Lost Cure comes from Forgotten Fragment of Caution which are cheap on the market board and drop from mobs in the first area, and only needs resistance rank 2.

Honestly you'll probably still die a lot while you're learning the mechanics, but people are happy to rez you and there's an achievement for it.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Chomposaur posted:

Honestly you'll probably still die a lot while you're learning the mechanics, but people are happy to rez you and there's an achievement for it.

After a CE, sure. Had to release twice last night after multiple people ran past my obvious corpse. :(

Speaking of CEs, I saw a Warrior solo Red Choctober from about 50% HP last night. I think they were using Bloodsucker, Reflect and... a Banner that's escaping me right now.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
So Bozja. Remember that you can get sets of early low level frags for clusters, which you can and should abuse to help you get the earring via the 1000 frag appraised achieve.

Put cure or cure 2 as one action, and something else like protect for the other when starting out. Shout out for a group (rank x mettle is what you're looking for). When you can use an essence, I recommend a defensive one for dps or an offensive one for tanks and healers. If you're going to be in Bozja for any significant length of time use an essence.

Queue up for any Critical Engagements you qualify for and ask for a group if you get in. Try not to die too much and take time to learn them rather than going crazy on damage. Otherwise, run from skirmish to skirmish. The best way to do them is, while whittling the skirmish down, pull and drag the magitek mobs around the skirmish into the AoE zone for a chance at clusters too.

Pay attention to the rank of mobs and until you have more available essences play it safe. Rank II is the highest you should be fighting solo without essence, III with essence, party for IV, cheese V and star with death. But at the beginning mettle is everything and you only get mettle through CEs and skirmishes. Oh yeah, promote and do your quests too.

Once you hit rank 5 you'll unlock the next tier, I'd just stick on the latest tier and keep going for those skirmishes; if you try to chance down between tiers you'll end up missing a lot, and each tier gives more mettle. Queue for all the CEs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Raised By Birds posted:

He's just trying to get away from Krile and Tataru.

If Estinien was hanging out in my living room that means I'd eventually get to meet Krile and Tataru when they come to bully him into doing his job.