Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

At this point you're just better off using Chromebooks as portable thin clients. Much easier to manage.

Chromebooks own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

That assumes the host doesn't run any security software.

The DLP service running inside the VM is restricted to the VM. You can not bother using any security software on the host and the DLP service will not be able to tell or know that you are not protecting the host at all. Your VPN provider like AnyConnect can scan to ensure updated A/V inside the VM but that does nothing because you can be fully updated inside the VM and unpatched and vulnerable on the host

It's basically a "can't see out but outside can read/write in" problem.

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this malware thing, since the web is typically a vector for this, and the browser isn't restricted on my work laptop, wouldn't it be safer to be running a VM anyway? What are the chances of catching malware that can specifically meddle with apps/data within a VM versus one that typically wreaks havoc on the host system itself (only).

The difference is if you browse entirely in a separate VM, and NEVER EVER do ANYTHING on the host. If you plug in a flash drive onto the host, now your host has autorun malware. If you browse on the host, the work VM is compromised, with no way to detect it or prevent it. If you browse in the work VM, at the very least the work VM has security software running in it. If you browse in a separate, non-work VM, then there's a sandboxing effect that reduces the risk.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 27, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Salad posted:

With HVCI and *properly-configured* Defender Application Control, you can make it extraordinarily difficult for a keylogger to run. A stripped down, modern HP or Dell laptop with all of the platfirm security bells and whistles laboriously configured and controlled is a hell of a tough nut to crack if it's just running VDI. Sure, there are still the normal bevy of os exploits that come out each month, and a weak code signing cert gets exploited every once in a while in the wild, but the attack surface is razor thin, and there's less to leverage once the attacker has user or even admin escalation on the endpoint.

Payload-oriented malware is going to continue to see less use by sophisticated actors as people continue to build out methods that doesn't leave iocs behind. More exploits against os libraries and powershell, less hax.exe in malvertizing payload

yes, but the original question was "why is my company not just letting me connect from my personal machine" which I am pretty sure is not the device you just described.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Enabling HVCI is a pain in the rear end. I had to sacrifice my G27 steering wheel, my smartcard reader for my electronic ID and my STLink, because all their drivers interfered with it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you're so paranoid about installing work poo poo in a VM (from employee perspective, not employer) you should probably find a new employer. I have gone from like 4 seperate machines down to one and I will never go back.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is there a preferred multi factor authentication app?

I was pretty surprised to see how lowly rated Google’s was on the app store.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

If you're so paranoid about installing work poo poo in a VM (from employee perspective, not employer) you should probably find a new employer. I have gone from like 4 seperate machines down to one and I will never go back.
Where did that even come from? My initial idea was that I didn't want a secondary device on my work desk at home, ending up in running two keyboard next to each other. I offered my employer to run a VM image, if they insisted on a controlled environment (among other things a bunch of VPN and identity apps from Check Point Software that I certainly don't want to be running on a host), which they denied. Then the thread piled on with reasons why that's bad.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Duo is pretty good, Authy gets a lot of good press from our DevOps guys.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

I just moved my codes from Authenticator Plus to Authy, so I really hope Authy is still recommended.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Head Bee Guy posted:

I moved mine into 1Password

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I want to move to Authy, but some sites seem to make it so difficult, only allowing one active set at a time.

An issue that I understand Authy makes irrelevant, but its still a pain with Google Auth. At least non of my work stuff uses it anymore.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Signing into your Google account on your phone and using the device as the 2nd factor is the easiest thing for me.

I wish more places did push notifications as 2FA tbh, or like how MS auth does it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CyberPingu posted:

Signing into your Google account on your phone and using the device as the 2nd factor is the easiest thing for me.

I wish more places did push notifications as 2FA tbh, or like how MS auth does it.

Duo does push, Google does it, Facebook is really pretty nice about it(it asks for codes, but you can just push yes on the app).

if only they didn't fall back on SMS if actual secure 2fa fails

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Duo does push, Google does it, Facebook is really pretty nice about it(it asks for codes, but you can just push yes on the app).

if only they didn't fall back on SMS if actual secure 2fa fails

Yeah we use Duo for work. It's pretty good though some of their enterprise stuff is annoying.

I've disabled and 2FA wherever possible.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Duo was acquired by Cisco over a year ago IIRC. It works but I wonder if its getting expensive.

Push is interesting. Now you're training users to stop and think if they're getting a push notification when they're not trying to log into something (their password was compromised).

Duo has an API you can hook into for running simulations. Make the originating IP of the push be in Russia, then if they hit report or accept it, it can IM them on slack with a custom message about the exercise.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where did that even come from? My initial idea was that I didn't want a secondary device on my work desk at home, ending up in running two keyboard next to each other. I offered my employer to run a VM image, if they insisted on a controlled environment (among other things a bunch of VPN and identity apps from Check Point Software that I certainly don't want to be running on a host), which they denied. Then the thread piled on with reasons why that's bad.

It wasn't directed at you but the initial conversation before it started discussing why am employer might not want it. My bad

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

It wasn't directed at you but the initial conversation before it started discussing why am employer might not want it. My bad
Oh OK. Yea, I don't understand it either, since it seems popular to run a remote desktop client on your own device. At least that's the impression I got looking around among friends. All those various employers can't be completely stupid all at once.

That said, I can partially understand it. If someone gets my login data, he can login into the web interface of the VPN server of my employer (why the gently caress is that even enabled?!) at vpn.domain.tld (the hell?) and download a provisioned VPN client.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 28, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

All those various employers can't be completely stupid all at once.

hmm, hmm

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh OK. Yea, I don't understand it either, since it seems popular to run a remote desktop client on your own device. At least that's the impression I got looking around among friends. All those various employers can't be completely stupid all at once.

That said, I can partially understand it. If someone gets my login data, he can login into the web interface of the VPN server of my employer (why the gently caress is that even enabled?!) at vpn.domain.tld (the hell?) and download a provisioned VPN client.

Combat Pretzel posted:

No, if someone compromises your VM's host, it is completely game over for that VM. It is completely unprotected space, and you can kill or falsify any protection, full disk encryption, retrieve anything you want out of memory or disk like certificates, private keys, etc.

The security software needs to run at or above the layer here, which means you have to run all your VPN and checkpoint keylogging crap on the host if you want to run your actual remote-desktop application inside your VM. If you restrict checkpoint to looking inside the VM, then there is no way for it to know that the entire VM is already pre-compromised due to the host being compromised. This is why infosec does not want you doing this, because no matter how protected the VM image is, it has absolutely no way to defend itself and no way to know just how hacked to bits it is.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nothing like escaping the sandbox by popping the hypervisor

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Microsoft Authenticator works well for me so far. It backs up to OneDrive too, though I haven't done a full restore since that functionality rolled out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Biowarfare posted:

No, if someone compromises your VM's host, it is completely game over for that VM. It is completely unprotected space, and you can kill or falsify any protection, full disk encryption, retrieve anything you want out of memory or disk like certificates, private keys, etc.

The security software needs to run at or above the layer here, which means you have to run all your VPN and checkpoint keylogging crap on the host if you want to run your actual remote-desktop application inside your VM. If you restrict checkpoint to looking inside the VM, then there is no way for it to know that the entire VM is already pre-compromised due to the host being compromised. This is why infosec does not want you doing this, because no matter how protected the VM image is, it has absolutely no way to defend itself and no way to know just how hacked to bits it is.

I don't think anyone is arguing for why an employer wouldn't want to allow employees running VMs as opposed to dedicated hardware? I think we all understand that, from the employers perspective, it's needlessly increasing your attack vectors.

There was talk about "the absurdity" of installing anything work on a personal device because reasons like "if the DOJ subpoenas your company you're out a laptop" and buddy if that's happening that's the least of your problems.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Crow posted:

"if the DOJ subpoenas your company you're out a laptop" and buddy if that's happening that's the least of your problems.

really depends on your industry. I was warned not to be surprised when it happens at my new job.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing for why an employer wouldn't want to allow employees running VMs as opposed to dedicated hardware? I think we all understand that, from the employers perspective, it's needlessly increasing your attack vectors.

There was talk about "the absurdity" of installing anything work on a personal device because reasons like "if the DOJ subpoenas your company you're out a laptop" and buddy if that's happening that's the least of your problems.

Unless you did some shady poo poo I don't think it's your problem necessarily, except for the part where you're out a laptop.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hopefully, if employee computers getting subpoenaed is a regular occurrence, they've got plenty more fresh devices to issue.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just don't want to install anything work related on a personal device because I've seen the level of access "posture assessment" and "DLP" and "hostscan" give you. And VPN logs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gab leaked

https://twitter.com/NatSecGeek/status/1365416337493868544?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Hopefully, if employee computers getting subpoenaed is a regular occurrence, they've got plenty more fresh devices to issue.

Yeah... that's why we said not to use your personal computer. :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CommieGIR posted:

Gab leaked

Right-wing nazi-haven platforms just can't catch a break, can they?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't know, given that Valve got subpoena'd in that Apple vs Epic slapfight, even tho they have no horse in that race, if you're in a sensible industry, that probably may just happen eventually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

what's 2fa precious lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing like escaping the sandbox by popping the hypervisor

Is there a known real world case where this actually happened? Obviously it’s been demonstrated at CTF’s and such but it’s such a difficult thing to do that it seems unlikely that it’s a significant concern for most users and small companies, compared to a hacker finding and just going after the host directly or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

what's 2fa precious lmao
Not being used at my workplace.

Also, the password policy over here is ten letters, all lowercase, no special characters, because otherwise you can't keep the passwords in sync with the lowest common denominator, which is our AS400 based system, that for some reasons insists on these restrictions.

That's why I keep alluding that them insisting on a work sponsored device isn't for the right reasons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I wish this entire industry would shut the gently caress up about passwords.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

You knew it was inevitable. I just want ssh keys for my vpn connection, even if it also needs the 2fa(tbh, even after years, I get a kick out of push authentication)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sickening posted:

Passwords are amazing but suck because people are creatures of habit and there's no way of changing that.

Also apparently the tech world cant stop storing them insecurely

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CyberPingu posted:

But accidentally uploading your orgs root password to github is so much fun!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CyberPingu posted:

Passwords are amazing but suck because people are creatures of habit and there's no way of changing that.

They aren't amazing. And if I ever hear someone talk about "password complexity" again ever in my life it will have been too soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sickening posted:

They aren't amazing. And if I ever hear someone talk about "password complexity" again ever in my life it will have been too soon.

In a perfect world they work. But the problems come from our inability to use them properly.