Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I still find it darkly amusing that Children of Men has Clive Owen wearing a London 2020 hoodie throughout. If that film came out today it would seem far too on the nose

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

This reminded me that next year is a World Cup summer and I absolutely can’t loving wait. First proper no lockdown summer plus World Cup? Straight into my veins

Honestly not trying to poo poo on anyone else enjoyment but this basically erodes my ability to watch and enjoy the WC

And it loving sucks.

(Ofc it's an easier decision because Ireland have long been too poo poo for international tournaments lol)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol @ "expected range"

Do they build stadiums purely by blood sacrifice in Qatar or something?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

lol @ "expected range"

Do they build stadiums purely by blood sacrifice in Qatar or something?

No, they just don't give a gently caress about health and safety or the value of human life (if it's poor, anyway). You don't want to risk death on a building site? Nobody's forcing you to take their money, and there's thousands of unemployed Qataris who will.

The reality is that Qatar should never even have been considered as a World Cup host, and the only reason they got it - over the UK, as I recall - is because when Sepp Blatter asked them for a massive bribe they paid it and we said no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's not very surprising given all the football poo poo is mega corrupt anyway but at what point does it become less efficient to actively kill people during construction work, like at some point presumably it becomes harder to build things because of all the people you are killing?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

No, they just don't give a gently caress about health and safety or the value of human life (if it's poor, anyway). You don't want to risk death on a building site? Nobody's forcing you to take their money, and there's thousands of unemployed Qataris who will.

The reality is that Qatar should never even have been considered as a World Cup host, and the only reason they got it - over the UK, as I recall - is because when Sepp Blatter asked them for a massive bribe they paid it and we said no.

I'd guess Qatar is no different than other places in the region, where large infrastructure projects are built by migrant labour typically from the Indian subcontinent rather than by locals. Workers are free to go once they've paid off their debt accrued for board, lodging, training, clothing, visa and transport from home.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Iirc its migrant labour (mainly people from the phillipines amd latin nations) being asked to build stadiums in the desert to a very stringent timeline. Its poo poo that all these big international associations like FIFA and the IOC wind up insanely corrupt but the shittier thing is that im still going to watch and enjoy the world cup because i have no power to change that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im probably going to also watvh amd enjoy the worlds first plague olympics

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's almost all from South Asia

something to keep in mind when reading fluff pieces about the Kerala model of development: all that remittance inflow comes from somewhere, often someplace not very pleasant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they had a version of the olympics where all the competitors were champions of nurgle I might watch that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I hope noone is suggesting we here in the UK are better than that?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If they had a version of the olympics where all the competitors were champions of nurgle I might watch that.

I got some good news about summer

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's not very surprising given all the football poo poo is mega corrupt anyway but at what point does it become less efficient to actively kill people during construction work, like at some point presumably it becomes harder to build things because of all the people you are killing?

Well they've had to reduce the number of stadiums from 12 down to 9 (maybe 8) because of rising costs and delays. So around 6k dead it would seem.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Junior G-man posted:

Pods got big guests this week to revisit some of the most psychotic highlights of Brexit Discourse for you to enjoy over the weekend!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1365671986316328962?s=19

Sweet, thanks for this. Do you guys take requests? I'd love to hear an explainer on Sturgeon Vs Salmond for sassenachs.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Iceland has a larger citizen population than Qatar - nine in ten people in Qatar are foreign workers. Same in the UAE, and about seven in ten in Kuwait and six in ten in Bahrain. These are, even as internationally open small countries go, actually really small countries floating atop a sea of transient foreign labour. The overwhelming share of the foreign worker population are from South Asia, male, and on short-contract visas - build a nest egg in dangerous, difficult conditions and then return home (previous terrible incidents of abuse have led the South Asian nations to place restrictions on female migration).

The remittance flows are so massive that they distort the economic structures of the states the workers hail from, even. Oil is a hell of a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who was it said the other day about the ideal capitalist country being one where there are no citizens, only contractors?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I can state with absolute, 100% confidence that not a single Qatari died in the construction of those sites. Or even so much as set foot on any of the sites.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If anyone's curious the covid-19 mortality rate for patients with ARDS (lungs don't work) is roughly 18 percent, and about 30 percent for ones in ICU.

e: This is about my previous post which I edited out because personal information and stuff.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 27, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
how in the gently caress have they killed 6,500 people? :psyduck:

are they using stone age building methods? like 60 odd died in the construction of the forth river bridge about a century and a half ago

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

So the Qatar and Russia world cups were awarded at the same time despite tradition (and common sense) dictating that they're supposed to be awarded around on the same 4-year cycle as the cups are held. They're also the last awarded by the old format, where "development of the game in the host country" is a major consideration, meaning that bids that include a substantial amount of new stadium building or renovation are given precedent over bids from nations with already-developed infrastructure and stadiums, because of the perception that the old format tended to leave countries with unmanageable white elephants.

Now only the worst kind of cynic would suggest that the change of format had something to do with the ongoing multinational criminal investigations going on into several senior figures, all of whom had lucrative consulting businesses helping countries to develop their infrastructure, or that the bids were forced through quickly as one last big score for the remaining parasites at the top of FIFA before the FBI turned up and stopped the music.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

how in the gently caress have they killed 6,500 people? :psyduck:

are they using stone age building methods? like 60 odd died in the construction of the forth river bridge about a century and a half ago

They're doing construction in the middle of a desert and literally could not give two shits about the labourers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I missed a lot of nationchat, but I've been reading (rereading in some cases) some of Irving Finkel's works on the very early Levant and Mesopotamia, and it seems like a constant of nearly any societal construct over a few hundred people that you need some kind of overarching nonsense to keep it on track.

Like this, from some old king or other

quote:

Marduk, the sage of the gods, gave me wide understanding and broad perceptions as a gift. Nabu, the scribe of the universe, bestowed on me the acquisition of all his wisdom as a present. Ninurta and Nergal gave me physical fitness, manhood and unparalleled strength. I learnt the lore of the wise sage Adapa, the hidden secret, the whole of the scribal craft. I can discern celestial and terrestrial portents and deliberate in the assembly of the experts. I am able to discuss the series ‘If the Liver is the Mirror Image of the Sky’ with capable scholars. I can solve convoluted reciprocals and calculations that do not come out evenly. I have read cunningly written text in Sumerian, dark Akkadian, the interpretation of which is difficult. I have examined stone inscriptions from before the flood, which are sealed, stopped up, mixed up.

Finkel seems to think that a lot of the population didn't literally believe all of this, but believed it mainly in the social (rather than epistemic or existential) sense, and I have to say if someone ran a political campaign on the basis of being able to solve calculus, read both foreign languages and livers, do dark arts, and was best friends with the invisible force that makes corn grow, I'd have more respect for them than for Boris Johnson (this is not hard).

Also from Dr Finkel one of the best short summaries of the social condition I've read

quote:

Humans have a very clear idea about how to behave, and on many occasions actually do.

e: This plus ^^^ is why I'm not sure what would stop international efforts being just as terrible with more scale and less accountability

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's just a verse from the major general's song and finkel is having you on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

If anyone's curious the covid-19 mortality rate for patients with ARDS (lungs don't work) is roughly 18 percent, and about 30 percent for ones in ICU.

e: This is about my previous post which I edited out because personal information and stuff.

That's about the same as the rate for people whose ARDS is bought about by flu or bacterial pneumonia, isn't it? Which I suppose makes sense, once your lungs are in that state it really doesn't matter what caused it, any more than it matters what colour car hits you.

Probably the more important measure is how likely the infection is to get you to that stage, in particular for people without comorbidities - generally someone in ICU with ARDS already had hosed-up lungs before they got infected, but if it's covid that's doing the loving up, in people with otherwise-healthy(ish) lungs then that's a problem.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Actually based on one study I found which did comparison with influenza-caused ARDS the mortality is about 50% higher for covid, because it's largely not the lungs that are the ultimate cause of death and covid-19 causes more damage elsewhere than regular flu.

Still yeah it's mainly older people and ones with preexisting conditions that end up with ARDS, but not exclusively so. My 30-something cousin had to be in induced coma because of it, though he did recover in the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whatever you end up deciding to do I hope it works out for you in the end.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Thanks Owl, I appreciate it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
God drat it is forgotten about the World Cup being in winter. Such a piss take.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol I wish I was that good a troll.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
FYI literally every poster that just pretended 'liking where you grew up' is the same as 'hateful nationalism' needs to Build Back Better you morons derailed thrice what could have been good topics to instead post dogshit.

Lungboy posted:

Sweet, thanks for this. Do you guys take requests? I'd love to hear an explainer on Sturgeon Vs Salmond for sassenachs.

Don't know about requests but they definitely take inspiration from this thread. I'll second you, PiP really should weigh in on that issue, it's shameful and frankly problematic that they haven't already honestly.

Edit; \/ \/ Express yourself however you want baby

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 28, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not current on thread trends, are we still calling you Vitamin Piss?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The problem (and the discussion) wasn't really about hateful nationalism though right? We all agree that's poo poo. It's where the line is drawn between wrapping yourself in a flag and acknowledging that it's fine to like the UK (or bits of it)

Naturally opinion is somewhat divided because well... Duh. We all have vastly different levels of comfort and experience.

I for one live with an American who finds British people so exhaustingly negative that she is emotionally drained after a day of work. Even on the British scale we (the left) now have a reputation for being a bunch of people that piss on others' joy. Hell it's come up multiple times in this thread lately. It's exhausting, even if you love us.

It feels like the thread is going round in circles on how best to change the hearts and minds of the country without caotaoing to its worst elements that are unfortunately rather popular right now. Everyone has completely different lines in the sand on what they will challenge, some have no lines in the sand and basically if anyone is even near the beach they'll yell at them to gently caress off. I don't think there's a single answer because I think it's entirely correct to have no goddamn patience left but also entirely fine to have some as well.

I just drink gin. Seems to keep me sane anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jedit posted:

even sepp blatter thought giving it to qatar was too obviously corrupt and wanted england to win it for a bunch of reasons including that. michel platini though convinced everyone else that qatar should get it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

The problem (and the discussion) wasn't really about hateful nationalism though right? We all agree that's poo poo. It's where the line is drawn between wrapping yourself in a flag and acknowledging that it's fine to like the UK (or bits of it)

Naturally opinion is somewhat divided because well... Duh. We all have vastly different levels of comfort and experience.

I for one live with an American who finds British people so exhaustingly negative that she is emotionally drained after a day of work. Even on the British scale we (the left) now have a reputation for being a bunch of people that piss on others' joy. Hell it's come up multiple times in this thread lately. It's exhausting, even if you love us.

It feels like the thread is going round in circles on how best to change the hearts and minds of the country without caotaoing to its worst elements that are unfortunately rather popular right now. Everyone has completely different lines in the sand on what they will challenge, some have no lines in the sand and basically if anyone is even near the beach they'll yell at them to gently caress off. I don't think there's a single answer because I think it's entirely correct to have no goddamn patience left but also entirely fine to have some as well.

I just drink gin. Seems to keep me sane anyway.

I think this is a pretty good summary of the discussion. Any movement with a reputation for being The Opposite of Fun has an issue it needs to solve

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My mother was an immigrant, though she was also a white and reasonably well-off American, so not what most people think of when they talk about immigrants. She didn’t come here out of economic necessity, or to escape a war or persecution. She came here because she did a year of university here in the late 60s, and then a few years later moved here just because she liked it. She lived here for the rest of her life and increasingly identified with the UK to the point where even when she got terminal cancer she had no interest in going back to the US for a visit.

Was my mum a nationalist? She liked it here, she liked and identified with the British character, or some version of it. That kind of stuff isn’t anywhere near as universal as some people make out, but it is real. How often does this thread erupt into crispchat, discussion of specifically British snackfoods?

There’s a bunch of stuff like that, which is not really inherently good, but people have a lot of fondness for. The problem is that people end up basing a lot of their identity on that, and what those things are can be wildly different between different people in the country. But I don’t think it’s worth pretending that these things don’t matter or don’t even exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even think the left is negative or dour, it's perfectly capable of being happy and optimisitc about things worth being optimistic about.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

given your idea of things to be optimistic about I'm just off to the woodshed... I may be some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If you want football you don't have to wait for winter 2022, there is the UEFA Euro 2020 coming in June, with the semifinals and finals played in Wembley Stadium. England, Scotland and Wales have qualified, teams from Ireland need not apply and if you think Gibraltar needs to have their own football team you're just taking the piss.