Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

I'm trying to wrap my head around discord. It reminds me of IIRC plus camgirls but none of the filez or boobs, and when I search for SPACs I find nothing. What am I doing wrong?

edit: hello :synpa: we meet again

Sick, thanks! VVV :c00l:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theres a stickied thread in bfc with the discord link.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944404&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Took my lumps and sold half of my large cvii position to buy into srng, I think srng is going to rise faster than cvii will recover. Cciv dumping really drained all momentum out of cvii. :(

Sell low, buy high!

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

yeah srng looks p cool

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Alright, guess I gotta hop on then.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Took my lumps and sold half of my large cvii position to buy into srng, I think srng is going to rise faster than cvii will recover. Cciv dumping really drained all momentum out of cvii. :(

Sell low, buy high!

CVII has been on the market all of two weeks. Y'all crazy. :psyduck:

SRNG seems like a good pickup though. Wondering how much longer the market is going to tank SPACS will continue to be sold at a discount.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Chad Sexington posted:

CVII has been on the market all of two weeks. Y'all crazy. :psyduck:

I bought double my normal spac position in cvii to hold short-term with the intent to sell half after the cciv momentum buzz brought it up into the 11-12 range like it did with ccv. Then cciv announced and took a poo poo. My plan has failed, why hold all these extra shares when I believe they are going to sit around NAV for months until a rumor or announcement? If I had bought them for the long-term because I think they will find a good target again like they did with Lucid I would keep holding all of them, but I don't think that is going to happen. Like I said, I think I will make more with that money in srng than cvii. :shrug:

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Some SPAC noob questions on SRNG:

Why does everyone like it? I see that the trust is large, anything else?

I see that it's still in units. When will the split into commons and warrants occur? How do I find out what the ratio of commons:warrants is when the split occurs? When the split occurs uh, what do I do? Would be purchasing these through TDA if it makes a difference.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

get me HQ! posted:

I see that it's still in units. When will the split into commons and warrants occur? How do I find out what the ratio of commons:warrants is when the split occurs? When the split occurs uh, what do I do? Would be purchasing these through TDA if it makes a difference.

From spactrack.net

U: [1/5 W]; units have 1/5th of a warrant, for every 5 units you get 1 warrant
Estimated split date: 2021-04-16

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

get me HQ! posted:

Management team has experience with successful target mergers, most notably DraftKings and Skillz.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

get me HQ! posted:

The management team is coming off one of the most successful SPACs with draft kings. Expectations are high for another banger.

R/SPACs already has a big post pumping it up so I think this is going to be the next CCIV in terms of retail mania. It just IPOd so be prepared to have it do nothing for a while.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've got some more noob questions to tack on about units. In my case I use Fidelity but I'm mostly just asking in general:

• I always see split date as an estimation. When the split actually becomes available, how do people get notified? Will my broker make it obvious to me or do I have to keep up with forums and SPAC blogs?

• If units are not split immediately when it is an option, or for brokers where the cost to do so is prohibitive, how are those remaining units handled? Do units stick around and continue to be traded up until the merger?

• How much does the timing matter when it comes to splitting units? Do you generally do it ASAP, or are there other factors to look out for?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Teeter posted:

I've got some more noob questions to tack on about units.

I found this video to be informative: https://youtu.be/niAOU-B6s-U

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...

get me HQ! posted:

Would be purchasing these through TDA if it makes a difference.

Be aware that different brokerages may charge different rates for unit splits. TDA charges $38 per request (not per unit, so try to get as many in per request) last I checked so make sure that is factored in when purchasing units.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
What do you need to get approved to purchase units on Fidelity? I can find them in a search but I'm unable to purchase them.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think you just have to remove the slash or in some cases only purchase with settled cash through fidelity.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

No slashes, so you'd buy CCIVU or COOLU or LMAOU or w/e

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I don't recall there being a separate step. I can buy them on margin too.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Today I got three more giant SPAC prospectuses in the mail. Fidelity paid like 9 dollars apiece to mail these to me lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-26/cybersecurity-company-sentinelone-is-said-to-prepare-for-ipo

Does this mean SCVX is about to get hosed on open?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

It's been getting hosed for the last 5 days (because I bought some, of course, sorry,) how much more hosed can it get? Guessing it'll be down 2-3% on Monday, so meh.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah there isn't too much room until it hits 10 anyways so might as well hold until they secure a target and see what happens. The big pop we were hoping for is likely out the window though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's not SCVX getting hosed.. maybe they were never in the game to begin with.. maybe they are just a giant shitter with a stupid website?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'll be releasing a new spreadsheet update tomorrow. There's now a huge pool of pre-DA SPACs below 11 (and below 10.50!) that offer low risk with a large amount of upside when the SPAC market as a whole recovers or they announce a deal.

Last week was rough, and might have been confusing if you weren't around for the last big SPAC correction in the fall. SPACs are highly speculative, and many (such as myself) treat them as a place to safely hold cash with much higher growth potential vs. keeping it in the bank. So when the market tanks or gets jittery, investors are usually quick to pull out of SPACs as a whole regardless of the individual SPAC's target industry or situation.

Last week was a perfect example of why buying into IPOD/IPOF at 16, or GSAH at 15, on sheer speculation is a significant risk. Same for not selling a DA after it pops, like THCB which jumped to near 25 then bled off 40% in short order.

SPACs are speculative plays, that will swing harder and faster than the market. Especially if you're buying warrants. This is why it's so important IMO to stick to the "Buy NAV common" strategy. I've been buying up commons like crazy this week, after many fell from 12+ to less than 11. This is how you set yourself up to reap the benefits of a recovery while protecting yourself from a continued market downturn.

So with that in mind, here are some quotes from Jefferies Financial Group on the current SPAC pullback. I found them helpful and confidence-boosting:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ffEdXa54X8QaZ-CQnEnxtak2J35U-JKqd5W3_-76sI/edit?usp=drivesdk

quote:

The SPAC market was always a “yield/cash replacement” strategy. Back then, if a deal was announced and the stock traded to $11, within 24 month window THAT WAS A WIN!!! So everyone relax and lets not lose sight of that as folks bemoan a stock trading at “only” $12.50 four months after its IPO.

quote:

The mood in the market changed for a few reasons:

Rising rates/ growth & momentum for sale – that’s just obvious. I mean I’m a fake “growth” guy now and my favorite stock is a growth stock (DNMR) but as Percy keeps telling us, higher rates, in the near term, hurts high multiple growth stocks (attached). Many SPACs are just this. The “CCIV” disappointment – stung retail and the “renters” in the strategy. Michal Klein is the GOAT, and CCIV at $30 is clearly a success but shares fell 50% on the week. Not everyone was in the pipe at $15 or IPO at $10. Someone clearly lost money and no one likes to lose 50% (I speak from too much experience!). The extreme volume of deal announcements (see below). The pace is torrid. And first of all, everyone lies. I know from my personal experience. Those that are in for 10% of a $300 pipe that get $5mn don’t show up to buy in the aftermarket at $12, they just don’t. And it is virtually impossible for “real money” investors to process the deluge of SPAC announcements on a daily basis. Duration is becoming key. The IPO calendar just does not quit and is showing no signs of slowing. As stated above, traditional SPAC players are very happy selling announcements at $12.50 to invest in high quality new issues at $10.

quote:

Warrants getting crushed.  Reminder, investors get warrants essentially “for free.” I’m no vol guy but that’s how I think about it.  As deals start to perform worse, and the thesis become longer dated, they believe it’s a smart strategy to sell warrants at virtually any price.   We saw AGGRESSIVE warrant selling all week.  It’s the tail wagging the dog but selling warrants weighs on common.

quote:

Are deals just “less good?”  Now I’m not making this as a blanket statement.  Some AMAZING companies are coming public via SPACs, but eventually the deal quality may degrade.  I wonder if the best companies have already been bought.  Again, I am NOT saying this is the case but its been a very long time since we had to even contemplate a deal not getting the vote and currently I see a lot of deals trading sub $11.

quote:

What are we hearing from investor?

Investors have become less aggressive in buying deal announcements, highlighted by better offers across the spectrum of SPACs

Portfolios are starting to be repositioned to make room for new IPOs and the potential to increase allocations to higher quality assets

Buyers of SPACs are becoming increasingly patient (even when compared to their behavior just a week or two ago)

Long only and fundamental need time and certainty before committing to buying post announcements

UNCLE! THERE ARE SO MANY ANNOUNCEMENTS AND IPOS!!!!

It has been a good start to the year, no need to be a hero…

In a nutshell, it's easy to find success buying overpriced commons and warrants when the SPAC market is hot. But when you run into a week like the last one, all those tickers that ran up on rumors or Tweets can crash back to Earth just as fast. The last SPAC correction was about a month long, and this one has only been a single bad week so far. It's going to be more important than ever to stay vigilant and honestly assess your downside risk. If you aren't leaning on NAV when making your SPAC investments, then you're simply buying a more risky and speculative instrument vs. a traditional large cap stock. And instead of taking advantage of an asymmetric bet, you'll find yourself at the whims of the market and social media in a SPAC market that has quickly become crowded and chaotic. And in my opinion that's just not a recipe for capital preservation and consistent growth.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Where do you usually find the info on when a merger vote is going to be held? Is the date stated outright in one of the documents filed at the SEC?

ickna
May 19, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

If you aren't leaning on NAV when making your SPAC investments, then you're simply buying a more risky and speculative instrument vs. a traditional large cap stock. And instead of taking advantage of an asymmetric bet, you'll find yourself at the whims of the market and social media in a SPAC market that has quickly become crowded and chaotic. And in my opinion that's just not a recipe for capital preservation and consistent growth.

this is me on IPOD and IPOF. I was new and wanted to get in on something that had hype and I thought was a little further along in the lifecycle and these are my biggest red lines in my SPAC portfolio after this week. Don't let the FOMO get you on something that is popular now when there are plenty of other near NAVs that you can get in on that will be the center of attention later.

e: case in point, I got in on ALTU the day before the rumor at near-nav, the next day it popped and I pulled all my cost basis out so I am playing with house money on that one now.

ickna fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 1, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As someone on the west coast that also sleeps in, I am considering setting limit sell orders for all my SPACs at a 50% increase on my cost basis (so $10 would be $15). Given what little I've learned so far CCIV was an outlier and most SPACs even with a good target won't bump much beyond that (if they even go that high). Does this seem like a good way to ensure I get gains locked in on unexpected SPAC news?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

tangy yet delightful posted:

As someone on the west coast that also sleeps in, I am considering setting limit sell orders for all my SPACs at a 50% increase on my cost basis (so $10 would be $15). Given what little I've learned so far CCIV was an outlier and most SPACs even with a good target won't bump much beyond that (if they even go that high). Does this seem like a good way to ensure I get gains locked in on unexpected SPAC news?

i cant monitor my account during market hours anymore, so i set sells on the dozen spacs im holding but only at 25%. i think 50% might be too optimistic right now but who knows.

vector popped ~20% this morning on news it might get rocketlab

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
NSH and VACQ DAs so far this morning

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

NSH and VACQ DAs so far this morning

gently caress yeah glad I grabbed NSH last week. up +15% pre-market. let's see how open looks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Is the blood over?

Actually seeing green numbers on my warrants at open.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Burn Zone posted:

gently caress yeah glad I grabbed NSH last week. up +15% pre-market. let's see how open looks.

Oh no it gave up half of that in less than 10 minutes

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey IPOD/F, can you do something again so I can harvest you into something else.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IIRC, something's up w/ DLCA / DLCAU today, right? Units splitting?

Also, loving lol at Spire, Rocket Lab and all the other new space companies going public. Garbage companies that (I assume) have ARK to thank for even seeing a single spike.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Weakass recovery today. I'm very suspicious and staying in the bunker. I took NSH profits and rolled into CPUH and FSNB units which are basically free money when they split and cough up free warrants.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

FistEnergy posted:

Weakass recovery today. I'm very suspicious and staying in the bunker. I took NSH profits and rolled into CPUH and FSNB units which are basically free money when they split and cough up free warrants.

Yeah I'm staying in my bunker. Flipped my NSH profits into ITAC.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Is the blood over?

Actually seeing green numbers on my warrants at open.

Appears so, but not enough to make up for the overall red from last week (then again, my non-SPAC portfolio has the same problem, perhaps throwing everything into ARK ETFs was a bad idea...)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
New spreadsheet is out. Couple additions. Basically everything is still on sale from last week.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

New spreadsheet is out. Couple additions. Basically everything is still on sale from last week.

Thank you for your work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

Hell yeah, thanks.

Took NSH profits, grabbed more GNRS and bought into HZON.