Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flakey posted:

Also that's HD footage from fuckin' Mars.

Yeah them watching this "live" is minutes in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PpfrcoI_fs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A clear night sky is a beautiful thing. If you can make your way to the southern hemisphere, the sights are even better.

We get the entire smear of the Milky Way across the sky. If you're out bush, it's just breathtaking.

Sadly it's also almost impossible to find images online which show what it actually looks like. All are either massively long exposures or digitally "enhanced". This is about as close as I could find to what you'd see with the naked eye:

The northern MN night sky is great. I'm from up near Orr MN and on a clear night with a new moon in MN you can see fine just by starlight. In the winter, you get Northern Lights which is nice. No light pollution up north. There's one streetlight that's 7 miles away at Gheen Corner. No one uses yard lights to speak of so it's pure dark outside and silent.

It's interesting when I go back home. I'm so used to the Twin Cities that It's humbling to see the real night sky.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a very primal experience. The UP is the same. Northern lights, deafening silence and enough start light that you don’t need a flashlight. It’s beautiful.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you ever get a chance to go canoeing/backpacking up in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota/Canada, highly recommend it. No big cities for ~100 miles, and no motors for ~20-30

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

tribbledirigible posted:

Was anybody else disappointed we didn't get to see a Wile E. Coyote-style puff of dust from the impact of the heat shield?

yaaaaa hoo hoo hooey

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a very primal experience. The UP is the same. Northern lights, deafening silence and enough start light that you don’t need a flashlight. It’s beautiful.

The Kabetogama Peninsula. is my favorite. Federal land and no-one goes there except for a couple rangers. It's a lot of paddling and hiking. You do need to check in at the ranger station like normal but it's just not a place people go. They do have a pit toilet on the trail by Cruiser lake which is nice. The negative is that, if you get hurt, you're getting yourself out. Watch the cairns on the trail. If you miss one, you might be lost for days so bring a topo and compass with you. Last time I was there, a cairn had went missing and it was on the slick rock so I had to use my topo to find and re-mark the trail. If you're not used to the north woods, you could run into trouble.

The nice thing is that, if you head north, you'll hit Rainey Lake and someone will see you. It's not bad. No more than 12 miles if you're going north anywhere on the peninsula. Don't go west or east. Go north if you're lost. West, you'll die. East, no-one will find you and then you'll die. North is safe. Don't get wet. Nights are cold up north.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wish there was somewhere I could take my wife with MS, but that's kind of a contradiction in terms.

(Stolen) Content:

spookygonk posted:

Bolaji Badejo was a mere 7ft 2 inches tall.

Is there a reason we know Kevin Peter Hall's name, and not this guy's? Is it just because the first sounds american? TbH, I didn't know Kevin Peter Hall was black, and assumed race was the reason.

I don't care that it's anime, Gurren Lagann is basically badass piled on top of badass until you're fighting a galaxy using a spaceship that's actually the moon with the help of a centuries old severed head. And then it really gets crazy.

End page 10.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Foxfire_ posted:

If you ever get a chance to go canoeing/backpacking up in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota/Canada, highly recommend it. No big cities for ~100 miles, and no motors for ~20-30

I’ve don’t this 3 times for two week stretches and it rules.

Hearing wolves and poo poo was awesome.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Do tanks have suspension in a similar sense to cars? I imagine this is probably pretty painful for the crew, either way.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mister Speaker posted:

Do tanks have suspension in a similar sense to cars? I imagine this is probably pretty painful for the crew, either way.

https://youtu.be/Qd3zy5ReYu0

May not handle that big a drop without a jolt, but still going to have a bit of cushion

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Speaker posted:

They definitely have suspensions, but on modern tanks they are generally torsion-bar type. And yes, if the crew was not expecting that it would be very easy for them to get banged up.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Bit of fun where i live this evening, controlled detonation of a ~2m long german bomb.

I live over a mile away and my house shook/could hear it over some pretty loud metal coming out of my speakers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=744376119536208

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Phanatic posted:

They definitely have suspensions, but on modern tanks they are generally torsion-bar type. And yes, if the crew was not expecting that it would be very easy for them to get banged up.

My dad used to work with an Israeli guy who had no teeth, he lost them when he was in the army, as a loader in a tank.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Was that bad suspension or did he forget to get his face out of the way of the gun :v:?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

OwlFancier posted:

Was that bad suspension or did he forget to get his face out of the way of the gun :v:?

Bad suspension I guess, he said you just got rattled around.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Roblo posted:

Bit of fun where i live this evening, controlled detonation of a ~2m long german bomb.

I live over a mile away and my house shook/could hear it over some pretty loud metal coming out of my speakers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=744376119536208

This is also fascinating and terrifying that we're still finding dangerous UXO from both world wars all over Europe. I'm curious how they mitigate damage to the surroundings though, if at all. Aside from evacuating a certain radius around the thing, how do they deal with broken windows, foundation repair or worse? Are these just parts of the cost of finding a big bomb you can't defuse?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

This is also fascinating and terrifying that we're still finding dangerous UXO from both world wars all over Europe. I'm curious how they mitigate damage to the surroundings though, if at all. Aside from evacuating a certain radius around the thing, how do they deal with broken windows, foundation repair or worse? Are these just parts of the cost of finding a big bomb you can't defuse?

They built a big sand filled wall around it before they blew it up. Will likely see more photos tomorrow, hopefully.

Apparently a lot of the problems in Germany are worse because the British bombs had a higher failure rate and haven't lasted so well. Oops.

When I lived in Plymouth they found bombs pretty regularly. That place was loving flattened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

London especially is like 50% UXO by weight though I guess maybe the amount of digging they do there might have cleared quite a bit of it by now.

I'm a lot further north so while they blew up the train station during the war we don't get that much of it up here that I know of.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

This one is a little closer. Gives you an idea of the size of it. https://imgur.com/gallery/Xje3AUD

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Is there a reason we know Kevin Peter Hall's name, and not this guy's?

Who's "we"?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Way more people could tell you the name of the guy in the Predator suit than the guy in the Alien suit. It's not really debatable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beachcomber posted:

Way more people could tell you the name of the guy in the Predator suit than the guy in the Alien suit. It's not really debatable.

maybe people already know the Alien guy so well they don’t even need to Google for him!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beachcomber posted:

Way more people could tell you the name of the guy in the Predator suit than the guy in the Alien suit.

Eh, that's debatab

Beachcomber posted:

It's not really debatable.

Oh. Well I guess it isn't

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Subjunctive posted:

maybe people already know the Alien guy so well they don’t even need to Google for him!

:hmmyes:

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Roblo posted:

This one is a little closer. Gives you an idea of the size of it. https://imgur.com/gallery/Xje3AUD

I appreciate the poster named princessbuttchug apologizing for their language

Strayer
May 19, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

The whole thing about Van Damme being first person cast to play the Predator is probably a big part of that. It's a pretty popular bit of trivia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Strayer, please. They said they weren't going to debate this.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Beachcomber posted:

So more people Google the predator guy because his name is more white but don't Google the alien guy because his name sounds foreign. But how do they know that before they Google who those people are? if you had asked I would have said a greyhound played the alien

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Feb 28, 2021

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull
Kevin Peter Hall has 19 acting credits to his name. Bolaji Bedejo has only 1. That's probably the reason he is relatively more well known.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carnotaurus posted:

Kevin Peter Hall has 19 acting credits to his name. Bolaji Bedejo has only 1. That's probably the reason he is relatively more well known.

so just multiply bolaji's by 19 and

he's off the scale!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the curtain has done been pulled back

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mister Speaker posted:

In Germany the state pays for some of it.

Generally, if you can't defuse you surround the site with water-filled tanks and balls of straw. Then you evacuate in a large radius and detonate.

The shock wave can be directed upward with sand barriers so it doesn't have too much of an impact.

Germany is absolutely full of unexploded bombs, often with delayed fuzes or nasty chemical fuzes.

Here's one from October, you can run the site through deepl (google translate is typically hot garbage) https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schleswig-holstein/Sprengung-von-Bombe-in-Kiel-verursacht-kaum-Schaeden,bombensprengung144.html

And one from the same day:
https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/nied...,bombe3588.html

Here's another recent one, this time a tallboy:
https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/Swinemuende-Tallboy-Weltkriegsbombe-entschaerft,bombe3618.html

Here's a video of the defusal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iSRkvAupT8

Note: That's not a full explosion, it's a controlled burn of the explosive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antigravitas posted:

Note: That's not a full explosion, it's a controlled burn of the explosive.

That's what they were going for, but what happened was the explosive detonated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54522203

quote:

"The deflagration process turned into detonation. The object can be considered neutralised, it will not pose any more threat to the Szczecin-Swinoujscie shipping channel," said Lt Cmdr Grzegorz Lewandowski, spokesman for the Polish Navy's 8th Coastal Defence Flotilla.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Anyone who hasn't seen Danger UXB! should. Follows the life of a Lieutenant in England during WW2 in charge of a UXO crew.

Its all up on daily motion for free.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6s1ejp

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Feb 28, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carnotaurus posted:

It's not just that, but yes. Kevin Peter Hall was an actor and would have had a lot more credits had he not died untimely. Badejo, on the other hand, was the son of the director of the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation who was over in London studying art; he came from money, he took the part just because it would be an interesting and fun thing to do. He never acted again because he never had to or wanted to.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

Jedit posted:

He never acted again because he got blown out of the god drat airlock!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ridley scott built a spaceship to film on location

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ridley scott built a spaceship to film on location

Jacques Tati built a whole suburb.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about the entire highway built for matrix 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

The Bloop posted:

Thinking about the entire highway built for matrix 2

I'd never heard this before, but they should've just shot the whole movie on that highway