Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

However, what that one dude posted about 're-applying thermal paste'?

...I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. Don't unseat thermal coupling stuff, even if you think it's hosed. If it's hosed, it's hosed. If it's not, you're going to gently caress it. Don't touch that.
Which kinda goes against my previous "Oh it's hard to mess poo poo up" post, but, really, you can literally bend the motherboard to cram RAM into or out of a slot or do whatever, all of that stuff is cool. Don't gently caress with thermal stuff on your proc. I guess that's the 'caveat' part of my previous post. I do know why that stuff is so weird, but it's dumb as poo poo nerd stuff.

Huh? I thought it was a fairly normal thing. There are articles on places like Tom's Hardware on how to do it. Even Intel itself has a page about the best ways to do it. I'm just talking about the paste between the CPU and the heat sink.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-apply-thermal-paste.html

quote:

How Often Should You Replace Thermal Paste?

In most cases, you shouldn’t need to reapply more than once every few years, though you should replace your paste if you remove your cooler for any reason. You may also want to consider reapplying thermal paste if you find your CPU temperatures are climbing.

I've done it several times on different computers. At least twice it has directly ended thermal issues (as in, those times I didn't do anything else, so I know it was the problem). If you're assembling your own computer from parts you most likely have to do the initial application yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Reapplying thermal paste on your cpu is fine and not that difficult as long as you're careful and you don't go nuts with the paste or bend pins or whatever.
The one thing I have hosed up before is I didn't know that modular psu cables were not interchangeable between psu models. hosed a drive up that way.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

can't believe we made a 1000 page thread. this is elon musk levels of epic

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

hbag posted:

do any of you know anything about trigonometry this poo poo's due in like 4 hours

i have tried my damndest but everything i can think of needs me to know either another side or the angle
afaik i literally only have the hypotenuse

yes, im doing THIS basic maths in university, im on a foundation year
i like question ii. youd have imagine a line perpendicular to AB that intersects C. say this point intersects AB at P. this would form 2 smaller triangles within ACB. because PC is perpendicular to AB both of the triangles would be right triangles and both would also have either angle ABC or angle BAC so both the smaller triangles would be similar to triangle ACB and have hypotenuses a and b and thus side length ratios to triangle ACB of a/5 and b/5. line PC the shortest distance from C to AB would have a length of (3*4)/5 cm
2.4cm

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 26, 2021

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

op I hope you have learned your lesson about asking for help with homework on the internet.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

op I hope you have learned your lesson about asking for help with homework on the internet.

I suppose I have, in a vicarious way that doesn't really apply to my life anymore.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
BAD DOG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5L8bdYY9FY

Tip posted:

I suppose I have, in a vicarious way that doesn't really apply to my life anymore.
:hai:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Big Beef City posted:

Like, it super depends on your price bracket and what model you're looking at.
Honestly what you need to do is set a price point, and then start doing searches for 'X component' in that bracket and see what's up. There are MSI boards that are really good, and there are some that are crappy. But, they also have a $500 price spectrum and which are where on that spectrum don't match what you might think.

It's a bugger.

The same goes for all your components. Give yourself a budget, stick to it, and prioritize on what you want. Make sure all the parts click together and she'll be good to go.

Thanks for the info

I'm really clueless now about it all now. Pretty sure last time I was looking at computers everything was in easy to know numbers. 1gb graphics? sweet!

Now it's all in gigaflops and something to do with somebody called Ray Tracing

Will use your tactic, google some components and "will this place [game]"

I'm at the point where I want to play games newer than 2011, and that aren't Stardew Valley

hbag posted:

i got a Dell G3 3500
its pretty fuckin neato but it was like £850 or something

This actually looks pretty good

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ratjaculation posted:

This actually looks pretty good

it is, although it does automatically boot when you open it. some people think that's annoying, but i like it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

However, what that one dude posted about 're-applying thermal paste'?

...I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. Don't unseat thermal coupling stuff, even if you think it's hosed. If it's hosed, it's hosed. If it's not, you're going to gently caress it. Don't touch that.
Which kinda goes against my previous "Oh it's hard to mess poo poo up" post, but, really, you can literally bend the motherboard to cram RAM into or out of a slot or do whatever, all of that stuff is cool. Don't gently caress with thermal stuff on your proc. I guess that's the 'caveat' part of my previous post. I do know why that stuff is so weird, but it's dumb as poo poo nerd stuff.

I can only assume that op thinks 're-applying thermal paste' is something gross to do with arses or lube

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

hbag posted:

it is, although it does automatically boot when you open it. some people think that's annoying, but i like it
Sorry to pick your brain hole

Is this the current model?

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lap...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ratjaculation posted:

Sorry to pick your brain hole

Is this the current model?

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lap...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

no idea tbh
all i know is the one i got is a G3 and my dad got me it for christmas

my dad's fuckin cool

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

well.my dad's dead so thanks for nothing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ratjaculation posted:

oh man im so sorry

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Posting here now because I am about to get a BYOB probe, and the new BYOB probe image is just so :discourse: that it needs to be seen.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

gary oldmans diary posted:

i like question ii. youd have imagine a line perpendicular to AB that intersects C. say this point intersects AB at P. this would form 2 smaller triangles within ACB. because PC is perpendicular to AB both of the triangles would be right triangles and both would also have either angle ABC or angle BAC so both the smaller triangles would be similar to triangle ACB and have hypotenuses a and b and thus side length ratios to triangle ACB of a/5 and b/5. line PC the shortest distance from C to AB would have a length of (3*4)/5 cm
2.4cm

Agreed that question ii was the best one. The 3-4-5 triangle was pretty straight forward, angle is easy with sohcahtoa. I had to stop and think about ii though, then I realized all the pieces were there.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Whaddup dead dad buddy.

Sucks :(

hbag you owe us both plat imo

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My father is also dead. Worked himself to death to keep that good company insurance he and mom needed. Shoulda gone out on disability years ago.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, I'm here doing my part in the 1000 page thread. Sometimes I wonder if its enough. Sometimes I wonder about the goal. I've seen 4k and bigger threads after all. Are the sights set too low?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Anyway, I'm here doing my part in the 1000 page thread. Sometimes I wonder if its enough. Sometimes I wonder about the goal. I've seen 4k and bigger threads after all. Are the sights set too low?

You can always set a new, higher goal after the reaching the previous one. But setting a closer goal after not reaching a farther one is an admission of defeat.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Meme Poker Party posted:

You can always set a new, higher goal after the reaching the previous one. But setting a closer goal after not reaching a farther one is an admission of defeat.

Yes, we need to set reasonable, attainable goals.

A 4000 page goal is a little crazy for a startup thread

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Internetjack posted:

Agreed that question ii was the best one. The 3-4-5 triangle was pretty straight forward, angle is easy with sohcahtoa. I had to stop and think about ii though, then I realized all the pieces were there.
:):hf::) now im not saying i miss school... but on the other hand i kinda miss school

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I loving hated school and am never going back even though I have the time and money. gently caress that poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
are dogs becoming more inclined to criminal behavior in these modern times?

BAD DOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3-a1q5vYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfp9ssC1FA

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

are dogs becoming more inclined to criminal behavior in these modern times?

BAD DOG

Dogs are inherently good, we have only ourselves to blame for any bad behaviour. We should start locking up these delinquent and/or indulgent owners imo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the only thing thats changed while dog crime has been on the rise is that dogs have increased opportunities to commit crimes. what with the internet and all

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

the only thing thats changed while dog crime has been on the rise is that dogs have increased opportunities to commit crimes. what with the internet and all

Again humans are to blame for creating these increased opportunities

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
look all im saying is if i were to leave a decorative dish of milkbone treats on the floor of my porch as is my want to do so i cant trust for even one afternoon that some thief dog wont come by and steal them

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just admit it: if dogs had invented the internet, we'd have smell emitters on our computers by now

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

look all im saying is if i were to leave a decorative dish of milkbone treats on the floor of my porch as is my want to do so i cant trust for even one afternoon that some thief dog wont come by and steal them

A fool and his porch milkbones are soon parted

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Getting covid vaccine this Monday, hell yeah.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

A fool and his porch milkbones are soon parted
because of... bad dogs you mean

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the cold-blooded dog, natures perfect killing machine since before the age of the dinosaurs, is known to frequently drag unsuspecting "dog owners" into the murky depths of its true native swamp habitat
this was the last recorded footage before such an incident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_5JGgbzCE

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

the cold-blooded dog, natures perfect killing machine since before the age of the dinosaurs, is known to frequently drag unsuspecting "dog owners" into the murky depths of its true native swamp habitat

When I was a kid I liked big dogs, now as an adult I prefer to know that if it came down to it I could beat all my pets in a fight to the death.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dogs were once sea creatures who moved to land millions of years ago. It is said someday they may return to the sea.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

because of... bad dogs you mean

The dog thought it was a gift because that's what it would do for you.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

boy oh boy did i stumble across an image MPP may or may not be interested in

actually they might hate it its really a 50/50

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hbag posted:

boy oh boy did i stumble across an image MPP may or may not be interested in

actually they might hate it its really a 50/50

Probably best to just turn yourself in to the authorities and claim it was an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I finally made a Twitter:
https://twitter.com/tipvfl

Please by my twit friends.