Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gulf between link's awakening and pokemon is far less than between botw and Arceus legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

idk i thought it was pretty funny to see pokemon trainers in arceus doing link's somersault roll for some reason with basically no change to the animation

hitman is probably my most-played video game of the last year and i finally grabbed hitman 3 last night. i can already tell the first two missions are going to be personal favorites i load up again and again when i want to play something chill for an hour or two. the first one is a giant megaskyscraper in dubai and it's just neat how huge it is and how much is going on, but the second, ooooooooh boy. it's a super old, isolated, english style mansion, inhabited by a hugely wealthy family, with a couple different murder plots floating around and a private detective showing up to poke their nose in things? it's like The Mysterious Affair at Styles or Knives Out and I am 100000% here for it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea hitman3 looks awesome and im hoping to buy it as soon as i get my next paycheck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i totally missed the Pokemon phenomenon and honestly do not understand why it's such a big deal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cute magical animals? popular among children? Simple gameplay, with a multiplayer component? I simply do not understand how this could possibly be a thing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

jokes posted:

popular among children?

Ah, that explains it. I was in my late twenties when Pokemon debuted and was playing Doom multiplayer on DSL. My kids love it though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's a super old, isolated, english style mansion, inhabited by a hugely wealthy family, with a couple different murder plots floating around and a private detective showing up to poke their nose in things? it's like The Mysterious Affair at Styles or Knives Out and I am 100000% here for it.

Oooooohhhhhhh sshhhiiiiittt, that sounds good!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pokemon are pretty terrible video games but for the appeal to children, I think. So yeah that would make sense. But to children they are Perfect Video Games: you have no standards, the animals are cute, the gameplay is easy as poo poo to understand. I think the newest ones look like poo poo which make them a hard sell I think, tho

They are very chill, though. If you're into just chilling out and building/leading a team of animals on a fight tour across not-Japan it's a good time. I also played it when I was less than 10, of course.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

jokes posted:

Pokemon are pretty terrible video games but for the appeal to children, I think. So yeah that would make sense. But to children they are Perfect Video Games: you have no standards, the animals are cute, the gameplay is easy as poo poo to understand. I think the newest ones look like poo poo which make them a hard sell I think, tho

They are very chill, though. If you're into just chilling out and building/leading a team of animals on a fight tour across not-Japan it's a good time. I also played it when I was less than 10, of course.

I have an old DSi around here somewhere and i can see three Pokemon games on the shelf, though i'm sure we have more. What would you recommend?

Ranger
Mystery Dungeon:Explorers of Time
Diamond

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rockman Reserve posted:

idk i thought it was pretty funny to see pokemon trainers in arceus doing link's somersault roll for some reason with basically no change to the animation

hitman is probably my most-played video game of the last year and i finally grabbed hitman 3 last night. i can already tell the first two missions are going to be personal favorites i load up again and again when i want to play something chill for an hour or two. the first one is a giant megaskyscraper in dubai and it's just neat how huge it is and how much is going on, but the second, ooooooooh boy. it's a super old, isolated, english style mansion, inhabited by a hugely wealthy family, with a couple different murder plots floating around and a private detective showing up to poke their nose in things? it's like The Mysterious Affair at Styles or Knives Out and I am 100000% here for it.

Apparently there's a murder mystery going on which 47 can solve. I'm pretty sure there has to be at least one murder mystery novel where the amateur detective solves the case, and then casually assassinates their own target afterwards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tango alpha delta posted:

I have an old DSi around here somewhere and i can see three Pokemon games on the shelf, though i'm sure we have more. What would you recommend?

Ranger
Diamond

idk what ranger is but mystery dungeon is actually babby's first roguelike and plays more like a pokemon themed shiren the wanderer than an actual pokemon game. diamond seemed awesome at the time because it was pretty huge and had all the wireless internet and global trading stuff for the first time in the series, but in retrospect it has a ton of problems ranging from "the encounter rate is way too high and the rewards earned from battle are way too low" to "there are only two fire pokemon lines anywhere before the postgame and one of them is the starter".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ranger
Diamond

Just go for a walk and insist on playing rock-paper-scissors with everyone you meet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ranger
Diamond

Ranger is a weird gimmick game that I never played. I think you use a stylus to circle pokemon to catch them or something. I don't know.
Mystery Dungeon is a roguelite-lite-lite.
Diamond is a main-line pokemon that is good I enjoyed it I think. I think you end up fighting space god/demon pokemon.

I'd recommend playing Fire Red in an emulator, though. It's probably the best, most standard, Pokemon with basically zero problems.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jokes posted:

Even as an adult I enjoy Pokémon games because they’re basically “what if I want to JRPG grind for a few hours” and get in just enough stuff to give you goals and variety so you can stressball out on something simple without it being too repetitive.

Series peaked with Gen 2/ the Gen 2 remakes though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently there's a murder mystery going on which 47 can solve. I'm pretty sure there has to be at least one murder mystery novel where the amateur detective solves the case, and then casually assassinates their own target afterwards.

Mystery solved: all victims died by accidents.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Didn't Gamefreak release a statement in response to the criticisms of the new Pokemon games that was something to the effect of "Guys, making Pokemon games is actually really really hard and it's impossible to make them look any better." or is my brain telling fibs to me again?

edit : I misremembered that a bit, they said they had to reduce the number of Pokemon in the game because they couldn't figure out how to balance it.

BUT they did claim to have to redo all the models from scratch and that was proven to be a lie, and they also complained about how they had to make the animations look better for the Switch but the animations aren't updated either.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 27, 2021

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Rockman Reserve posted:

idk what ranger is but mystery dungeon is actually babby's first roguelike and plays more like a pokemon themed shiren the wanderer than an actual pokemon game.

its made by the same devs. SNES shiren was the first mystery dungeon game. also, shiren is really good and anyone that likes roguelikes should give it a try.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ranger
Diamond

explorers of time will gently caress you up do that one

time/darkness/sky is easy but well paced imo. the newer pokemon mystery dungeon games are more rocket tag, which adds certain layers to the strategy but removes others.

PinheadSlim posted:

edit : I misremembered that a bit, they said they had to reduce the number of Pokemon in the game because they couldn't figure out how to balance it.

BUT they did claim to have to redo all the models from scratch and that was proven to be a lie, and they also complained about how they had to make the animations look better for the Switch but the animations aren't updated either.

that's just what happens when you graduate a veteran art team member with absolutely no experience in team management, to art director :v:

iirc most of the missing pokemon were added back in the expansion, but it's like... dude, why would you lie about this in the first place, just admit you ran out of time and you'll add them later as a benefit of the modern update cycle.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 27, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we exterminated most wildlife and killed the insects and stuff that children used to collect and we also dont let children out because cars and the fear of randos so animal collection video game it is then

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we exterminated most wildlife and killed the insects and stuff that children used to collect and we also dont let children out because cars and the fear of randos so animal collection video game it is then

there was a brief period when pokemon go was actually causing people to interact with strangers irl and there was a lot of handwringing about it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

there was a brief period when pokemon go was actually causing people to interact with strangers irl and there was a lot of handwringing about it

That summer loving ruled, it was so cool playing a dumb little mobile game and meeting a ton of people. Felt like it was mostly nostalgic 20somethings though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Online pokemon battling seems like something I'd enjoy. Playing the single player does not. Grinding/training pokemon to play in multiplayer does not.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That summer loving ruled, it was so cool playing a dumb little mobile game and meeting a ton of people. Felt like it was mostly nostalgic 20somethings though.

i will never forget seeing some punk rear end chinpiras in shibuya getting fuckin PUMPED because they found a dragonair

we saw it too but it escaped from me

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Outriders is okay. It’s kind of like the division games where getting an enemy up close is really loving weird and just kind of an awful experience. The depth perception is all sorts of hosed for that close range poo poo. The combat definitely works best at medium range—when you’re not getting rushed with enemies who force you into that awkward close up jankiness. It’s too bad they seem really incessant on throwing enemies who rush you at you!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man I had 3 pokestops at work and a gym I could reach from my house, I was a king and never had to spend a dime. Had so much fun pissing people off who would come take the gym late at night by taking it back the second they drove off. Then I got banned just for having a rooted phone and that was that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What is really crazy about pokemon is that every generation is at least 2 basically identical games and a not insignificant number of people buy both

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Didn't Gamefreak release a statement in response to the criticisms of the new Pokemon games that was something to the effect of "Guys, making Pokemon games is actually really really hard and it's impossible to make them look any better." or is my brain telling fibs to me again?

If true, that's pretty hilarious. "It's not possible to make a better looking Pokemon game! We don't even have the technology!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

QuarkJets posted:

What is really crazy about pokemon is that every generation is at least 2 basically identical games and a not insignificant number of people buy both

One save slot per cartridge baby

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its_my_birthday posted:

Outriders is okay. It’s kind of like the division games where getting an enemy up close is really loving weird and just kind of an awful experience. The depth perception is all sorts of hosed for that close range poo poo. The combat definitely works best at medium range—when you’re not getting rushed with enemies who force you into that awkward close up jankiness. It’s too bad they seem really incessant on throwing enemies who rush you at you!

I had a bunch of fun playing the demo with my brothers. I know its kind of a dumb thing but the way enemies completely explode into chunks of gore is something I really enjoyed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

QuarkJets posted:

What part of gotta catch em all do you not understand?!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What part of gotta catch em all do you not understand?!

"em"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like playing Pokemon sometimes (buy XY was the last one I bought) and the card game app is a fun time waster. I dunno, I see a poo poo tonne of awful games available for time wasting that either suck worse or end up microtransacting to a much higher price.

Graphics suck tho. Like at first I was like oh poo poo the Legends thing has actual grass! Then I realised that for no other company is that an achievement at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh for sure Pokemon has much higher quality than over 99% of what's allowed to be released on Steam, and that's still true even if you eliminate all of the deliberate shovelware that's literally just the same game reskinned over and over. The games are simple and geared toward children, but they're not bad games and I don't fault any adult who likes playing them

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The pokemon single player campaigns are balanced so incredibly and mind numbingly easy that I'm not sure how anybody above the age of 12 can stay engaged with them until the end. They're great rpgs to get started on but I quickly abandoned them as a kid to play slightly more sophisticated, if still quite easy, stuff like final fantasy and chrono trigger on snes emulators.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Caesar Saladin posted:

The pokemon single player campaigns are balanced so incredibly and mind numbingly easy that I'm not sure how anybody above the age of 12 can stay engaged with them until the end. They're great rpgs to get started on but I quickly abandoned them as a kid to play slightly more sophisticated, if still quite easy, stuff like final fantasy and chrono trigger on snes emulators.

pokemon yellow is really hard at the beginning because pikachu can't do poo poo against the rock pokemon at the first gym

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

pokemon yellow is really hard at the beginning because pikachu can't do poo poo against the rock pokemon at the first gym

Both the Nido's and Mankey are right there

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Gaius Marius posted:

Both the Nido's and Mankey are right there

It's plausible that a 13 year old would not know to catch and level them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

It's plausible that a 13 year old would not know to catch and level them

There's a forced tutorial before that point, I figured this poo poo out when I was ten

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

There's a forced tutorial before that point, I figured this poo poo out when I was ten

there's a forced tutorial teaching you about damage types and weaknesses? I don't think so pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I was 8 and i just read the manual and learned about that stuff. Kids aren't that dumb.