Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

there's a forced tutorial teaching you about damage types and weaknesses? I don't think so pal

No but there's a trainer school, and all your friends on the playground, and we all watched the loving anime.

Me as a literal child and every friend I knew managed to beat the game, It's literally targeted at children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A child who cannot beat Pokémon is defective and should be thrown off the Tarpeian Rock.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I can see the appeal of pokemon, but why play pokemon when you can do the same with games like Shin Megami Tensei.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The anime teaches you that to beat Brock you need to put Pikachu through intense electrocution training, set off the sprinklers, and then have him throw the match because all his siblings don't want you to win.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The anime teaches you that to beat Brock you need to put Pikachu through intense electrocution training, set off the sprinklers, and then have him throw the match because all his siblings don't want you to win.
And then it teaches you that jelly donuts are Brock's favorite.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Pokemon is the kind of game you can gently caress your wife while she plays

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I JUST beat dead cells and got this first boss cell. I played 88 hours. I only beat the end because I copied a bunch of saves when I was at the hand of the king fight, otherwise I just don't understand how a game can ask you to invest 45 minutes to get to a boss fight that drastically ramps up the difficulty and can just annihilate you in literally 6 seconds. That's ridiculous.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Floodixor posted:

I JUST beat dead cells and got this first boss cell. I played 88 hours. I only beat the end because I copied a bunch of saves when I was at the hand of the king fight, otherwise I just don't understand how a game can ask you to invest 45 minutes to get to a boss fight that drastically ramps up the difficulty and can just annihilate you in literally 6 seconds. That's ridiculous.

Did you get the one mutation that reduces damage by 65% for awhile when hit? That helps from being comboed to death.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Vakal posted:

Did you get the one mutation that reduces damage by 65% for awhile when hit? That helps from being comboed to death.

Woah, I don't think so. Wait, is it the one that also increases your damage for that time, too? I think so but I'm not sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

I can see the appeal of pokemon, but why play pokemon when you can do the same with games like Shin Megami Tensei.

Why would I go from a bad game to a bad game thats also hard?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smt games aren't that hard, and they're quite good. Definitely a step up from the standard final fantasy and phantasy stars

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Floodixor posted:

Congratulations! You've finished the tutorial!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

Congratulations! You've finished the tutorial!

<:mad:>

I'm trying really hard here!!!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Floodixor posted:

<:mad:>

I'm trying really hard here!!!

I still only have 2 cells... And I don't think I've ever beat the giant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Martman posted:

And then it teaches you that jelly donuts are Brock's favorite.

Brock's favorite is creampies

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

anyone who decries pokemon games because the graphics are bad or the game's too easy fails to understand the true nature of pokemon. hanging out with cute magical animals that can shoot fire from their eyes and poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Digimon Cyber Sleuth manages to have as many crazy critters with better graphics, though. I should finish that sometime. I wouldn't call it a great game otherwise but it's fun.

Pokemon definitely is a victim of its own success, they're terrified of loving with the formula for good reason, since plenty of games have done that and crashed hard, but are also struggling with the things they CAN improve. I suppose they really can't handle not being on handhelds where they can bring up technical limitations as an excuse not to get too ambitious.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Floodixor posted:

Woah, I don't think so. Wait, is it the one that also increases your damage for that time, too? I think so but I'm not sure.

Dead Cells is definitely one of those games where there are mechanics in place to help you succeed, but it's very hard to just stumbled upon them yourself.

I remember beating my head against BC3 difficulty for about a month, then by the time I finally got the muscle memory for dodging and forge upgrades in place to beat it, I think I went on to beat BC4 difficulty on like my second attempt. BC5 took a little longer but eventually I got through that as well and I'm far from a great player.

There are a lot of broken item combinations in the game once you unlock them.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 28, 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Vakal posted:

There are a lot of broken item combinations in the game once you unlock them.

Tell me your secrets.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

I still only have 2 cells... And I don't think I've ever beat the giant.

I still haven't beaten the scarecrow and I haven't even found the giant.

My route is always:

Prisoners quarters / promenade of the condemned / ramparts / bridge / stilt village / clock tower / high castle / getting my face hosed into a hundred pieces by HotK

I've been to most of the other biomes, like the graveyard and the DLC and such, but I tend to take what I regard as a safe way

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Floodixor posted:

Tell me your secrets.

Well that is the main problem with Dead Cells.

The Devs treat it like a loving esport or something and every time someone finds an item or mutation combination that they think makes the game a slight bit easier they nerf it into the ground.

I haven't played in over a year and just looking at the recent patch notes most of the item combos I liked using are no longer viable.

The changes they keep making to the malaise system in the high BC difficulties just sucked all the fun out of it for me.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Floodixor posted:

Tell me your secrets.

Don't get hit.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pokemon definitely is a victim of its own success, they're terrified of loving with the formula for good reason, since plenty of games have done that and crashed hard, but are also struggling with the things they CAN improve. I suppose they really can't handle not being on handhelds where they can bring up technical limitations as an excuse not to get too ambitious.

They should start experimenting with smaller scale projects.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bleusilences posted:

They should start experimenting with smaller scale projects.

As I said earlier, there's probably a reason why all the best Pokemon games are spinoffs.

I'm still disappointed that Pokemon Conquest didn't get a nod in that 10 minutes of nostalgia wanking that was the start of the video.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

Smt games aren't that hard, and they're quite good. Definitely a step up from the standard final fantasy and phantasy stars

I played the first SMT game last summer and that plot was fuckin wild for an SNES game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first game has such a cool atmosphere, everything feels just a bit off at the start and then poo poo just starts going off the loving rails until you've got nuclear holocausts and biblical floods.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just so I'm clear: The US ambassador to Japan, the norse god Thor, has ordered a nuclear strike on Tokyo? Just checking.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had a bunch of fun playing the demo with my brothers. I know its kind of a dumb thing but the way enemies completely explode into chunks of gore is something I really enjoyed.

playing with other people sounds like it'd make it better. I know I only played Warframe an absurd amount because I would play with my brother. I was hoping to get a feel for all the classes and kinda know what I'm doing before I tried matchmaking (if it works). I read someone complaining on reddit that people can vote kick before chests so no one else gets loot--is that true? I imagine it's not an issue playing with people you know, but if it's that easy to troll randoms you know a lot of people are going to be doing it.

Gibbing enemies is cool, but I'm not a fan of the close quarters combat in this game. I'd much rather play an fps if I wanted to run around shotgunning enemy hordes and warframe's melee weapons do a pretty good job at solving the whole fighting-enemies-up-close-with-guns-and-a-third-person-camera-is-awkward thing.

Despite all the hate the cover system gets, I think the areas in the demo that are my favorite are medium ranged fights with cover without a ton of rushing enemies. I just feel clunky in the game so far when I need to react quickly to an enemy/enemies running up in my poo poo. I'm sure practice will help, but I'm not sure if I'll ever find it that enjoyable compared to other games.

It's not really a surprise that the classes that have the best tools to deal with close range enemies like the trickster and tank seem like they are far more popular than pyro and technomancer based on what I've read from other people's experiences.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 28, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you beat double dragon with friendly fire turned off, did you really beat it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tbh if you beat it coop, you didn't really beat it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

But then you miss the true final boss!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Caesar Saladin posted:

tbh if you beat it coop, you didn't really beat it

big disagree tbh. if you wanna stay alive you better do what you can. no one wants to be defeated. i get it, you wanna be tough and you wanna be bad, but it doesn't matter who's wrong or right, i just beat it.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
i think video-games should be fun and you can beat them in whatever way works best for you as long as you're enjoying it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think you need to beat videogames to have fun...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You haven't really beat Dark Souls until you've beaten it while while people IRL dressed up as skeletons are attacking you with swords and hammers

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Like someone else said, pokemon as a concept peaked at the second gen. But they really didn't get the combat right until much later when they split the types of damage attacks did. Before that it was kind of nonsensical. Of course the early games had lots of other things wrong with the combat

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Barudak posted:

I don't think you need to beat videogames to have fun...

yeah i agree. there's games i really enjoyed that i didn't beat. Hollow knight comes to mind. I was very close, but I got to a point where i just felt like i was done with it. I wanted to wrap up the extra stuff before going to the final boss, but it was sort of too much and i just fell off it. I would still call it a really good game, though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

You haven't really beat Dark Souls until you've beaten it while while people IRL dressed up as skeletons are attacking you with swords and hammers

And that just gives me some fun LARP ideas. Though I'm still partial to showing up as a filthy peasant with a lovely crossbow.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

there's a forced tutorial teaching you about damage types and weaknesses?

this was the tutorial. why put it in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHnI2f-_pM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rutibex posted:

this was the tutorial. why put it in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHnI2f-_pM

Holy gently caress ash is stupid as hell

Pokémon is being crushed to death “let’s call it I don’t want to keep hurting your Pokémon”

“no I want to finish this to the end”

Plus they’re both immune to electricity...