Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

so the story on this one was that i went to chicago to see a lady friend I had met from a vegan facebook page i was on for a while and went to do a week long fast with her while fixing up her condo and her car because she let things fall apart and her friends were the kind that would say they would do something, but never get around to do it. It was kind of bad.

anyway, i went to switch out her brakes, but i didn't bring the tool sets i got from o'rielly's that i acquired while working on my truck and boat which included my jack and jack stands. so i decided to borrow tools, but they autostores there wouldnt let one work in their parking lot nor would they lend out jacks or jack stands. I had just bought a plane ticket, so i figured if i was careful, i could get by without buying a jack or jack stands and just use the jack supplied with the car.

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs. unfortunately that was enough to pull the whole car forward off the jack. Luckily i knew not to position myself under the car nor have my hand under the lower part of the car. Still the bumper pushed my neck towards the ground and pinned my hand under a fender which tore my flesh as i ripped it out to get unpinned. I got a jack from the neighbor an finished then back back the next day to do the drum breaks, but after that I was thinking about the suspension on GroverTruk, and was like, ehhh, i dont have any level ground to set jackstands on to keep them from tipping over, so i was going to use cinderblocks instead while torquing down bolts.

It's always nice when people learn from their extremely awful life-threatening mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

it was $2000, and that is on a payment plan through a random loan shark.

This is it folks, he's gone full zaurg.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Woooooooah, we're half way there
Woah-woah, pissing in a we-ell

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rytheric posted:

Nobody on this deadass forum can actually help you if you do things like this.

Rytheric posted:

so the story on this one was that i went to chicago to see a lady friend I had met from a vegan facebook page i was on for a while and went to do a week long fast with her while fixing up her condo and her car because she let things fall apart and her friends were the kind that would say they would do something, but never get around to do it. It was kind of bad.

anyway, i went to switch out her brakes, but i didn't bring the tool sets i got from o'rielly's that i acquired while working on my truck and boat which included my jack and jack stands. so i decided to borrow tools, but they autostores there wouldnt let one work in their parking lot nor would they lend out jacks or jack stands. I had just bought a plane ticket, so i figured if i was careful, i could get by without buying a jack or jack stands and just use the jack supplied with the car.

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs. unfortunately that was enough to pull the whole car forward off the jack. Luckily i knew not to position myself under the car nor have my hand under the lower part of the car. Still the bumper pushed my neck towards the ground and pinned my hand under a fender which tore my flesh as i ripped it out to get unpinned. I got a jack from the neighbor an finished then back back the next day to do the drum breaks, but after that I was thinking about the suspension on GroverTruk, and was like, ehhh, i dont have any level ground to set jackstands on to keep them from tipping over, so i was going to use cinderblocks instead while torquing down bolts.

You have no idea what you are doing and are incapable of doing this safely. You need to stop before you permanently injure yourself. Everything about your approach to both the land and the truck is fundamentally unsound because you are starting from a foundation of pureed banana and misinformation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

This would be funnier as a joke if it wasn't indistinguishable from your non-joke things you say constantly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Ya know as I was reading this thread earlier today and thinking about it I knew we'd get there fast.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

tater_salad posted:

also carchat.. but anything that needs 300FTLbs of torque needs someone who knows how much is about 300ftlbs. I get it you're an entineerey type, but when it comes to bolts on your suspension 300ftlbs means.. get that fucker on goootntite. Any shop you take it to isn't going to be torque wrenching your shocks or your swaybar bushings etc. poo poo even at the factory I bet the robots or airguns the human robots use aren't nearly as calibrated as the worst torque wrench you can get from harbor freight THAT BEING SAID if you were redoing your intake/exhaust header studs, or your camshaft pullies that want something like 48ftlbs yeah you probably should get them exact. When something asks for 300ftlbs yeah just trust someone who's done it before (IE not you)

You shoudl be able to do shocks and whatever else you need for a fraction of the dealer / shop prices with "PFC dumbfuck" if they actually know what they are dong (read that as, were a mechanic in real life for some period of time, worked in the military as a mechanic, etc) AND they can provide you with acceptable tools to help you with the job (a lift would be real pleasant). THEN you take it to go get a real 4 wheel alignment and let someone with the $teaxs% laser alignment tool do that part.

i probably could do the shocks, however, id want to also take the radius arm and tie rods off so that i could get the bloody stabilization bar bushings on. i'm not comfortable driving above 55 without the stabilization bar, and if i have the radius arm and tie rods off and the stabilization bar out, i might as well replace the twin axle pivot bushings. It feels like if you do one part of the suspension, you may as well do the whole thing. it also feels like the vehicle was designed for all the bushings to fail at the same time and for it all to be replaced at the same time. like i think that was an intentional for maintenance.

edit: i'm going to get it professionally done now. so dont worry.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 28, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Fermented Tinal posted:

who is Zaurg, another Bigpeeler?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

I was specifically laughing at the idea of not being able to find a 300ftlb torque wrench, but I appreciate the irony in your worry about the danger of working on cars, yet somehow think you're gonna use two ropes to hoist multi-hundred pound timbers into place, fit the tenons into the mortises that way and not recognize the danger of that

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

I was specifically laughing at the idea of not being able to find a 300ftlb torque wrench, but I appreciate the irony in your worry about the danger of working on cars, yet somehow think you're gonna use two ropes to hoist multi-hundred pound timbers into place, fit the tenons into the mortises that way and not recognize the danger of that

A multi-hundred pound timber is easier to leverage and pick up side by side or drag. there aren't many vehicles i think i could lift up a side of. one is an order of magnitude heavier than the other and much less dense.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
hey rytheric could you please ask the lawyer you meet with about the concept of a spendthrift trust or similar financial vehicles

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Motronic posted:

You've never done anything like this. You googled the poo poo out of it and learned some words.

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. You're a loving first day expert on everything that your brain happens to latch on to for a while.

Rytheric posted:

You're right. I haven't done something like that. My friend said he was going to talk me through it. I wanted to get it professionally done first, but my friend was like nah man you got this.

Hmmmm

Rytheric posted:

A multi-hundred pound timber is easier to leverage and pick up side by side or drag. there aren't many vehicles i think i could lift up a side of. one is an order of magnitude heavier than the other and much less dense.

A reminder that you just got called out for this. It took two minutes for someone to pop in and immediately know you had just googled something to throw out some keywords. You've said yourself haven't actually done this before, you have basically just watched some sweet youtubes with acoustic indie background music as people hew lumber in the snow.

No one is saying it's impossible, but doing the precise work to carve out the pieces for timber framing, let alone lifting and placing everything, is not trivial and is not a skill you just wing. I don't even do new construction, just railings and fencing and such and I'm wincing at this, it's no wonder more experienced folks are frothing.

You're an environmental guy, this whole thread reads to us like if I told you I saw online we need to restore the wetlands, so I rented a bobcat, plowed down part of an old growth forest, and threw asian carp and kudzu into the muddy hole left over. I've healed the Everglades!

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 28, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Fermented Tinal posted:

stop it goddamnit, let the thread titles have a moment to breathe :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rytheric posted:

who is Zaurg, another Bigpeeler?

zaurg is another goon. He’s the basis for these iconic tweets:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?s=21

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728?s=21

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rytheric posted:

payment plan through a random loan shark.

anyone who unbookmarked this thread is a moron. :munch:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rytheric posted:

I was going to ask how you even find a loan shark, then I realized they probably seek you out through some kind of 7th sense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ellie the beep posted:

hey rytheric could you please ask the lawyer you meet with about the concept of a spendthrift trust or similar financial vehicles

Vehicles, financial and not, seem to have a thing against Ry.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Was wonderhangers not candles. That first thread was just goon in the well pissing ending as he gets dolphin season tickets and goes to a tail gate, as his wife obviously hates him and spends all their money on "gifts". Oh the loving pool table to.

Then a second thread where it was obvious the wife was cheating on him, he had an idea she was, he lived on the couch and she was gone all the time so it was him and the kid. Then just endless pages of get a divorce. Then she winds up pregnant and it had to have been the one time she let him gently caress her and it's obviously his guys!!!!!!

I forget the third one but she left him I think? Ending with him buying tons of bitcoins on credit cards just as it crashed lol then banned again.

I didn't follow the moneyball 4th one though.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

threelemmings posted:

Hmmmm

A reminder that you just got called out for this. It took two minutes for someone to pop in and immediately know you had just googled something to throw out some keywords. You've said yourself haven't actually done this before, you have basically just watched some sweet youtubes with acoustic indie background music as people hew lumber in the snow.

No one is saying it's impossible, but doing the precise work to carve out the pieces for timber framing, let alone lifting and placing everything, is not trivial and is not a skill you just wing. I don't even do new construction, just railings and fencing and such and I'm wincing at this, it's no wonder more experienced folks are frothing.

You're an environmental guy, this whole thread reads to us like if I told you I saw online we need to restore the wetlands, so I rented a bobcat, plowed down part of an old growth forest, and threw asian carp and kudzu into the muddy hole left over. I've healed the Everglades!

Oh no I didn't just Google something. I've had my friend point out the parts. He's been under the GroverTruk with me several times as I ask him "hey whats this? It looks bad. Is it something I need to worry about?" If he wasn't available I looked them up in my manuals. I always buy various manuals for the vehicles I buy. As I was restoring things I'd always consort the manual, him, and the econoline Facebook group im a part of to see if they have similar issues and if they've solved them.

As for the rest. It does sound like they are saying it's impossible. It's not. It's just a matter of if I think its worth pushing through or learning. Which I would push through and learn how to do it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rytheric posted:

:magical:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

I was going to ask how you even find a loan shark, then I realized they probably seek you out through some kind of 7th sense.

This is easy. Almost everywhere you go that's trying to sell things that aren't on amazon or something is starting to offer credit like it's the new thing to do and nothing could ever possibly go wrong. Like etsy will allow you to pay off any art over a span of two months and synchronize it with your paychecks kind of like a rent-to-own center. It has definitely helped me fund several of my artistic friends I guess I basically did a rent to own on a telescope.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Rytheric posted:

It's just a matter of if I think its worth pushing through or learning. Which I would push through and learn how to do it.

This is an excellent attitude for life's problems. Just keep pushing through and you'll learn eventually. This applies to everything. Keep pushing.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm surprised he even drives, with the whole noise issue

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

Oh no I didn't just Google something. I've had my friend point out the parts. He's been under the GroverTruk with me several times as I ask him "hey whats this? It looks bad. Is it something I need to worry about?" If he wasn't available I looked them up in my manuals. I always buy various manuals for the vehicles I buy. As I was restoring things I'd always consort the manual, him, and the econoline Facebook group im a part of to see if they have similar issues and if they've solved them.

As for the rest. It does sound like they are saying it's impossible. It's not. It's just a matter of if I think its worth pushing through or learning. Which I would push through and learn how to do it.

Bruh, you said an E350 had an axle in the front that you had to pull and that the rear shock was bent

Unless you've got a unicorn on your hands, that's a RWD truck that has leaf springs, so whatever you've been learning from this friend of yours is bullshit that you shouldn't be listening to

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Bruh, you said an E350 had an axle in the front that you had to pull and that the rear shock was bent

Unless you've got a unicorn on your hands, that's a RWD truck that has leaf springs, so whatever you've been learning from this friend of yours is bullshit that you shouldn't be listening to

I said it had twin I beam axles. The front has an axle for each wheel that articulate around a pivot bushing in the center. It is RWD with a leaf springs and rear shocks. I dont see what the issue.

I will post some pictures of GroverTruks underbelly when I get home from work.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 28, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

Gotcha. See I couldnt tell with Motronics humour if he was more concerned about me ripping the axles out or the cinderblocks. I could tell it easier with elment80s humour. Seeing a vehicle up on cinderblocks isn't uncommon in west virginia. So was kinda neutral about it. Figured I could distribute the load well enough.

No one is joking when actual experienced car people are flat out telling you putting ANYTHING on cinderblocks - especially a truck - is a truly stupid idea that gets people killed. Just because a bunch of very stupid people do it doesnt mean you should even contemplate it.

The last page and a half hasnt made for particularly good reading to say the least.

quote:

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs

Okay wait, what vehicle was this? Because 200ft/lb is 271Nm what were you tightening because nothing under 19mm needs anything close to that on a brake system and on most cars caliper bolts are more like 13/14mm and they cant take that much torque

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 28, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rytheric posted:

I dont see what the issue.

You don’t know how to do anything but you think you do and the disconnect between the two is likely to have serious long term negative consequences up to and including death or dismemberment.

People feel empathy and as a general rule don’t want others to hurt themselves. You are funny in the way that things that are absurd are funny and seem to genuinely care about others.

The first is the issue. The second is why folks keep telling you what the issue is. Hope that clears things up. Well, cheers!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

I said it had twin I beam axles. The front has an axle for each wheel that articulate around a pivot bushing in the center. It is RWD and a leaf spring and rear shocks. I dont see what the issue.

See, that makes me think you're googling things even more, because, this is what you said in response to me specifically asking about the leaf springs

Rytheric posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

And then the axles part comes when you're talking about how little work you've done on cars and how you were going to put it on cinderblocks so you could get underneath it

Rytheric posted:

His mentality was that there is nothing that needs done can't be done yourself and you'll get to know your vehicle better. Which is true. I know a lot more about the vehicle know. I have mapped out where everything is the lbs to torque it to and such. I do get the Hanes and Chiltons manuals for every vehicle I own. I've replaced sensors, redone the vacuum lines and the like. But I'd have to essentially put the vehical up on cinderblocks and rip the front axles out to get things done easily. Then I'd have to limp it to a shop to tighten the radius arm bolts because they need torqued to 300lbs. My friend use to work on hummers and such in the army then got his associates.

Forgive me for being skeptical

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Relax, after stepping on a mine and losing both legs, I am now much more cautious about navigating mine fields. In fact, for my next mine field expedition, I'm taking four bowling balls to throw around and check for mines.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

builds character posted:

You don’t know how to do anything but you think you do and the disconnect between the two is likely to have serious long term negative consequences up to and including death or dismemberment.

People feel empathy and as a general rule don’t want others to hurt themselves. You are funny in the way that things that are absurd are funny and seem to genuinely care about others.

The first is the issue. The second is why folks keep telling you what the issue is. Hope that clears things up. Well, cheers!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

See, that makes me think you're googling things even more, because, this is what you said in response to me specifically asking about the leaf springs

And then the axles part comes when you're talking about how little work you've done on cars and how you were going to put it on cinderblocks so you could get underneath it

Forgive me for being skeptical

All those statements you highlighted are true. My rear shock is bent in. I do need to take off the front axles as I suspect the pivot bushings are bad. Things will make more sense when I post pictures give me 30 minutes

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rytheric posted:

All those statements you highlighted are true. My rear shock is bent in. I do need to take off the front axles as I suspect the pivot bushings are bad. Things will make more sense when I post pictures give me 30 minutes

*frantically starts googling GroverTruk, bent shocks, and pivot bushings*

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I'm well aware of what a F350's suspension looks like, I had to maintain the work trucks, and I'll take it on good faith that the E350 is the same

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No one is joking when actual experienced car people are flat out telling you putting ANYTHING on cinderblocks - especially a truck - is a truly stupid idea that gets people killed. Just because a bunch of very stupid people do it doesnt mean you should even contemplate it.

The last page and a half hasnt made for particularly good reading to say the least.

Okay wait, what vehicle was this? Because 200ft/lb is 271Nm what were you tightening because nothing under 19mm needs anything close to that on a brake system and on most cars caliper bolts are more like 13/14mm and they cant take that much torque

Putting a car up on blocks is a bad idea.

Putting a 1 ton frame box truck up on them, that you built living quarters out of is some next, next level poo poo.

Ry, your 2wd truck doesn't have axles in the front, the things you're talking about are probably the control arms and/or hubs.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

I'm well aware of what a F350's suspension looks like, I had to maintain the work trucks, and I'll take it on good faith that the E350 is the same

And now we peer into the dark, mysterious recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly. Timg-ed for your pleasure.

Here you will find the unicorn rear axle package of rears shocks and leaf springs. Notice the top of the shock is bent in alittle. Gives it a little more friction to prevent portside tip-overs.

Here you see the GroverTruk exhaust just... ends... it just farts onto the road underneath the GroverPorch as it roams from one place to another.

Now we see something new and out of place. A new catalytic converter. The last one had a hole in it.

Typical shock and spring combo. Nothing to see here except rust.

Now we have the mythical twin I beam axles that articulate around pivot bushings that are offset from the center.

And now we have where the front tied all together where the radius arm meets the front shock meets the spring and meets one of the front axles. Notice the lack of bearing on the shock. Yep that needs to go. There is also the case of the missing stabilization bar. Don't worry it's in the closet.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 28, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The Door Frame posted:

Are you mixing up shocks and struts? A vehicle with leaf springs would have shocks. This isn't a model T we're talking about here.

The Door Frame posted:

Clearly you aren't if you think an F350 doesn't have rear shock absorbers.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've never looked under a car in my entire life, so I assume it's a healthy amount of rust on everything there.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Gramps posted:

anyone who unbookmarked this thread is a moron. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~