Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
already got matchmade with a guy in Catarina armor in Forest of fallen giants. what a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tenzarin posted:

It's super hard to do no lock on combat with the rapier and it sucks rear end at fighting groups.

You shouldn't be relying totally on one weapon in DS2, especially in a long area like NMW that will wear down durability. There's plenty of upgrade materials, so bring and use the right tool for the job at hand.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I hate soul memory, it gives me such huge anxiety when i lose a bunch of souls. I dont care that i cant spend the souls, but now my SM is inflated to all hell uggfhhh

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Can't connect. Don't care. Rolling a new character.

Step 1. Remove all clothes

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I hate soul memory, it gives me such huge anxiety when i lose a bunch of souls. I dont care that i cant spend the souls, but now my SM is inflated to all hell uggfhhh

dune's fear mantra but soul memory

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's more like genital herpes. It doesn't really affect anything but knowing you have it is a pretty major bummer (I assume, asking for a friend)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

dune's fear mantra but soul memory

i wish soul memory was just something i could ignore but I cant

I really enjoy doing coop in Souls games and SM completely punishes you for doing so. Sure, I can equip that one ring, but then I won't get any reward for cooping in the first place. Its a mechanic that exists entirely to punish the player and it might be one of the worst gameplay mechanics ive ever seen in a game. It doesnt even stop ppl from just locking their SM and getting badass +10 weapons to invade with anyways

Its a shame because outside of that, Im really enjoying Dark Souls 2. I want to dig in deeper and really start to learn how to powerstance and all the other fun stuff. But there's this cloud hanging over me that befouls every moment because in the back of my mind, I'm worried that I won't be able to coop any more because I'm playing the game too much

what the gently caress were they thinking?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Get the agape ring ASAP you fools!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Happy Hedonist posted:

Get the agape ring ASAP you fools!

gently caress that dumb ring. If im killing bosses in coop, im getting paid damnit

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It forces you to start a new character or continue progressing into ng+, instead of staying stagnant and ganking noobs in the forest.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

One of my few joys these days is making hideously ugly characters in video games and scaring my wife and son with them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it was an anti twinking mechanic replacing the old anti twinking mechanics, and just like the old ones, it causes some problems

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Reality Protester posted:

it was an anti twinking mechanic replacing the old anti twinking mechanics, and just like the old ones, it causes some problems

I joke with the dune reference, but soul memory really was a super awkward solution that just makes the game uncomfortable to play from a certain perspective. I'm able to forget about it, and just play, but that's just me, ya know?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Soul memory is a stupid misbegotten system and contributed nothing good but doesn’t matter in almost any situation other than stopping a character at one boss to co-op it forever.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Reality Protester posted:

my problem with it is that it doesnt even fix the invader issues while at the same time it causes a ton of other issues for every single player

hell, I dont even care if im being invaded by tryhards constantly, just let me casually coop in peace game without worrying about some number going up too high and locking me out from multiplayer :argh:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t even know what’s considered the pvp soul memory anymore.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

skasion posted:

Soul memory is a stupid misbegotten system and contributed nothing good but doesn’t matter in almost any situation other than stopping a character at one boss to co-op it forever.

excuse me it's also critical for speedrunning

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Servers are still down but I don’t care, gonna play some motherfucking Dark Souls

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anybody know how to get rid of the mouse cursor? I've never had this problem before, but this is the first time I'm playing on this PC.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Play on console

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SM kinda doesn't matter, the tiers get really wide the further you go. It just makes it more difficult to camp the low levels, which if you want to do, just get the agape ring.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

Play on console

lol

fuckin imagine

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Anybody know how to get rid of the mouse cursor? I've never had this problem before, but this is the first time I'm playing on this PC.

Are you using a gamepad? For me as soon as I press any button on my controller it goes away.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I am here to punch and be handsome

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rubellavator posted:

SM kinda doesn't matter, the tiers get really wide the further you go. It just makes it more difficult to camp the low levels, which if you want to do, just get the agape ring.
I don't wanna redo the whole conversation about this from a bit back but these days basically everyone that dislikes SM knows this, it still feels bad.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This return to Drangleic is just like playing Dark souls 2 last week.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

Pursuer is one of the enemies for whom strike damage is most useful. He laughs at your puny longsword+1

Switched to mace and beat Pursuer with too much more trouble. Hitch a ride to Lost Bastille and there he loving is again lol.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

This return to Drangleic is just like playing Dark souls 2 last week.

Yeah I got the the bell keeper covenant and it took about an hour before I got summoned. Of course it just started today but still, yikes. I'd get more activity in 3 as a blue cop.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Glimpse posted:

Switched to mace and beat Pursuer with too much more trouble. Hitch a ride to Lost Bastille and there he loving is again lol.

Hope you enjoyed it because you're going to be seeing a lot of him there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Are you using a gamepad? For me as soon as I press any button on my controller it goes away.

I swapped to an Xbox controller from my Logitech one and it disappeared like it's supposed to.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

sounds as tho you need to git gud op. a common problem.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I got the the bell keeper covenant and it took about an hour before I got summoned. Of course it just started today but still, yikes. I'd get more activity in 3 as a blue cop.

It finally let me log on and holy poo poo it's active and cool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

Pursuer is one of the enemies for whom strike damage is most useful. He laughs at your puny longsword+1

The thing is, my first playthrough was entirely big sticks. I think I wasn't being aggressive enough and was dodging wrong + timing can be tighter with big weapons. :shrug:

On the other hand, he sure does have a glass jaw. :getin: And big lol whenever he does his spell spam leaving himself open to being donkey punched relentlessly.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think I found a good fashion I'm gonna roll with for a while, until I find better pants or something

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dark Souls 2 is the best Fashion Souls.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I enjoyed soul memory.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Tenzarin posted:

I enjoyed soul memory.

mods?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

First time playing ds2 or dark souls multiplayer in general and I'm having a lot of fun. It feels great to co-op and blast through an area which is really hard solo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Paracelsus posted:

You shouldn't be relying totally on one weapon in DS2, especially in a long area like NMW that will wear down durability. There's plenty of upgrade materials, so bring and use the right tool for the job at hand.

Yea I didn't remembering my weapons breaking so much in this game. On the dlc dragon, 3 of my longswords broke, one claymore broke, and then I finished it off with a rapier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Did my first invasion ever tonight.

If you got punched to death outside the Cardinal Tower bonfire by someone wearing a tricorne about a couple of hours ago, that was me