Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Zarin posted:

Jamie almost kinda reminds me of the grumpy old union dudes I worked with on the shop floor: been doing it for forever, knew their poo poo, and had zero interest in pleasantries and/or nonsense. As long as someone like that is very consistent in what does/does not set them off, then it's usually pretty easy to figure out how to work well with 'em once you know what NOT to do.

Kinda sucks getting to that point though.

The worst part, though, is when you get someone who acts like that but who does not know their poo poo. I used to work with one of them, and even though he moved to another site he somehow still manages to cause me trouble because any time we refer a customer to his site for whatever reason, somehow he always ends up mismanaging them and getting us a frustrated customer coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

The worst part, though, is when you get someone who acts like that but who does not know their poo poo. I used to work with one of them, and even though he moved to another site he somehow still manages to cause me trouble because any time we refer a customer to his site for whatever reason, somehow he always ends up mismanaging them and getting us a frustrated customer coming back.

Stop referring customers to his site...? I'm sure it also reflects badly on you when you refer people to bad places.

Anyway, I watched that 10 bullets video and the part that I find most frustrating is that I think it has some good points, but it's wrapped in a bunch of layers of smugness and pretentious bullshit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Space Kablooey posted:

Stop referring customers to his site...? I'm sure it also reflects badly on you when you refer people to bad places.

The problem is the site/store that he works at offers some things that we do not, due to being a larger and more recently built/renovated location. So for some people we either have to refer them across the country or to that site.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sagebrush posted:

Adam has also said before that he didn't want it to become a James Randi style show where mystics and weirdos would go on and get OWNED BY SCIENCE and become embarrassed/confrontational. That's why they never tested dowsing, despite many people asking them to. Pyramid power is down that same line.

no but my uncle bob did dowsing on his farm so i know it totally works and furthermore

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JFC that's going down scarily fast. This does not help me with not finding oceans creepy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lord Stimperor posted:

JFC that's going down scarily fast. This does not help me with not finding oceans creepy.

That's what happens when you deliberately open all the stopcocks and sink it is fast as you can. They're designed for that.

https://www.mining.com/brazil-navy-monitors-stellar-banner-sink-site/

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Memento posted:

That's what happens when you deliberately open all the stopcocks and sink it is fast as you can. They're designed for that.

Well that just makes it worse

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lord Stimperor posted:

Memento posted:

Pretty amazing description from Sebastian Jungerbook, "The Perfect Storm":

"The righting moment has three main implications. First of all, the wider the ship, the more stable she is. (More air is submerged as she heels over, so the righting arm is that much longer.) The opposite is also true: The taller the ship, the more likely she is to capsize. The high center of gravity reduces what is called the metacentric height, which determines the length of the righting arm. The lower the metacentric height, the less leverage there is with which to overcome the downward force of gravity. Finally, there always comes a point where the boat can no longer right herself. Logically, this would happen when her decks have gone past vertical and the center of gravity falls outside the center of buoyancy—the "zero-moment" point. But in reality, boats get into trouble a lot sooner than that. Depending on the design, an angle of about sixty or seventy degrees starts to put a vessel's lee gunwales underwater. That means there's greenwater on deck, and the righting moment has that much more weight to overcome. The boat may eventually recover, but she's spending more and more time underwater. The deck is subject to the full fury of the waves and a hatch might come loose, a bulkhead might fail, a door might burst open because someone forgot to dog it down. Now she's not just sailing, she's sinking.
The problem with a steel boat is that the crisis curve starts out gradually and quickly becomes exponential. The more trouble she's in, the more trouble she's likely to get in, and the less capable she is of getting out of it, which is an acceleration of catastrophe that is almost impossible to reverse. With the boat's bilge partially flooded, she sits lower in the water and takes more and more prolonged rolls. Longer rolls mean less steerage; lower buoyancy means more damage. If there's enough damage, flooding may overwhelm the pumps and short out the engine or gag its air intakes. With the engine gone, the boat has no steerageway at all and turns broadside to the seas. Broadsides exposes her to the full force of the breaking waves, and eventually a part of her deck or wheelhouse lets go. After that, downflooding starts to occur.
Downflooding is the catastrophic influx of ocean water into the hold. It's a sort of death rattle at sea, the nearly vertical last leg of an exponential curve. In Portland, Maine, the Coast Guard Office of Marine Safety has a video clip of a fishing boat downflooding off the coast of Nova Scotia. The boat was rammed amidship by another boat in the fog, and the video starts with the ramming boat backing full-screw astern. It's all over in twenty seconds: the crippled vessel settles in her stern, rears bow-up, and then sinks. She goes down so fast that it looks as if she's getting yanked under by some huge hand. The last few moments of the film show the crew diving off the upended bow and trying to swim to the other boat fifty feet away. Half of them make it, half of them don't. They're sucked down by the vacuum of a large steel boat making for the deep."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The last few moments of the film show the crew diving off the upended bow and trying to swim to the other boat fifty feet away. Half of them make it, half of them don't. They're sucked down by the vacuum of a large steel boat making for the deep."

Yeah the only saving grace of that video of the Brazilian iron ore ship is that the entire crew had already been taken off to safety.

Sink a ship all you must, it's only steel and paint. Get the lads off first.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Faustian Bargain posted:

The best mythbusters episode is where they packed Adam by shocking him and he got really mad.

There’s a story behind that, actually. They had a producer who felt that part of his job was to “improve” the show by pulling pranks and creating drama. He had been pushing Jamie and Adam’s limits of tolerance for awhile when he decided it would be funny to give Adam a nasty electrical shock on camera. He got fired soon after that.

Here he is trying to defend himself on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/mythbusters/comments/5scpnd/heres_proof_thats_me_with_the_username_in_front

Also in an early episode Adam mentions that, among a number of things, Jamie had been special forces previously in his life. When asked about that they walked it back which makes me suspicious

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 27, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Memento posted:

Heh. Stopcocks.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Serephina posted:

I do not know who that Tom Sachs person is, but that man has an illness.

Funny enough, this just came up in my recommendations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLxwbm7FMA

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/g0hqkho.mp4

fistpump

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Don't like the noise his neck made. Wait, there's audio?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Low numbers or not, the covid-era videos where Adam Savage just builds normal-assed furniture are the most fascinating things he's ever done.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

It was right about then when them Duke boys knew they were in a heap o trouble.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JIZaEcU.mp4

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

they really dropped the budget for the Tenet sequel

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Batterypowered7 posted:

Heh. Stopcocks.

Pickled Tink posted:

Rooster fitted with blade for cockfight kills its owner in India

quote:

The bird had a knife attached to its leg ready to take on an opponent when it inflicted serious injuries to the man’s groin as it tried to escape, officers said.

cock stops cock's cock

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

We've come a long way since the first prototypes of drive-by-wire technology

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I wanna see that with crosswinds.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

been meaning to post this for awhile. these are from the train yard near where i live. somebody done hosed up.

some major trainfuckling near my apt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I was trying to figure out what exactly got fuckled because those shipping containers didn't even register in my brain as being part of a train they were mangled so bad.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

cock stops cock's cock
Cockhead stabbed in cock by own cock at cockfight :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/OvNGCeM.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/PEmWppT.mp4

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
New SnowRunner map already, huh?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qop3r8RMBC1vy4sqt.mp4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Scratch Monkey posted:

There’s a story behind that, actually. They had a producer who felt that part of his job was to “improve” the show by pulling pranks and creating drama. He had been pushing Jamie and Adam’s limits of tolerance for awhile when he decided it would be funny to give Adam a nasty electrical shock on camera. He got fired soon after that.

Here he is trying to defend himself on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/mythbusters/comments/5scpnd/heres_proof_thats_me_with_the_username_in_front

Also in an early episode Adam mentions that, among a number of things, Jamie had been special forces previously in his life. When asked about that they walked it back which makes me suspicious

Yeah that stunt had a real "Producer stepped in and made them do it 'for the lulz'/drama" The crew had already tried the actual electric fence shocker and found that the zap it made hurt in a very unfun way.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But guys you're totally not listening!!! A hobbyist convention took down the video where Adam was talking about it and that 10000% means that he was lying. It had nothing to do with them just not wanting to deal with bullshit nuisance lawsuits about defamation!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stoatbringer posted:

no but my uncle bob did dowsing on his farm so i know it totally works and furthermore

We had a subcontractor go out to do geotechnial borings. The target location that Miss Utility painted didn't have any space that was clear of utilities, so he used some utility guy equivalent of dousing rods, I think "rodding", to determine a safe area outside the Miss Utility zone.

The samples started bringing up little pieces of insulated wire, like the picture below would have made, except I think it was closer to a 6-inch diameter copper telephone line that they hit. The local communication company was not amused, although I think they didn't have much downtime for residents.

I think that was a $200k+ mistake, all said and done. We kept asking our geotech guy, "So how did they clear the area?" because he was being coy about explaining just how stupid the thing they did was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oh like you have a better way to christen a blowtorch

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

When you think she's a hot piece of work but it's really just the beer goggles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Devor posted:

We had a subcontractor go out to do geotechnial borings. The target location that Miss Utility painted didn't have any space that was clear of utilities, so he used some utility guy equivalent of dousing rods, I think "rodding", to determine a safe area outside the Miss Utility zone.

It's loving amazing how common dousing is amongst people who really should know better.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Alkydere posted:

When you think she's a hot piece of work but it's really just the beer goggles.

Hes a papa johns employee

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Tonka-yo drift

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Oh like you have a better way to christen a blowtorch

Seriously though isn't that type of glass used because it blocks UV?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dip Viscous posted:

Low numbers or not, the covid-era videos where Adam Savage just builds normal-assed furniture are the most fascinating things he's ever done.

Sounds like the youtube videos James May did after he left Top Gear - I'd love more videos of him rebuilding random things in his garage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CNNf1ZF.mp4
What could go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster