Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grondoth posted:

I actually think this is a really great video for this forum, which is one of the few places that laughs at strange internet poo poo without falling into reactionary propaganda.

I have always had in my head the idea that a lot of the reason that the internet skeptic movement fell for all this poo poo so easily was because it sprung up fighting the American evangelical fundimentalist Christian movement, which is as stupid of a movement that could exist. Young earth creationists and biblical literalists don't require much other than a smug raised eyebrow and a dismissive snort, because holy poo poo the earth is not 6000 years old and the bible contradicts itself in the first two chapters. There's intelligent Christianity and theologians who really care and think about their faith and use it to challenge themselves, and literally thousands of years of scholarship around the bible, but the evangelical movement doesn't give a single poo poo about any of that and is clearly just using their faith as a justification for their bigotry and psychoses.

The SJW that the internet skeptic community imagined is basically the same as the televangelist; idiotic, simple minded, and using their movement as a justification for their hatreds. But unlike the televangelist, those people don't really exist, especially in positions of power. Being smugly and reactionarily dismissive of social justice concepts because you don't actually think about them tracks with forming your identity around the idea that people who don't think like you can just be dismissed because they're actually loving stupid, which is what the internet athiest/skeptic movement started out dealing with. Tunderf00t didn't make a series called "engaging with and debunking creationist ideas," he made "Why people make fun of creationists" and when you've trained yourself on that you're just not gonna think too hard about people who disagree with you.

Wasn't Thunderfoot the guy who tried to debate a creationist and got his rear end handed to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McCloud posted:

Wasn't Thunderfoot the guy who tried to debate a creationist and got his rear end handed to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs&t=143s

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

McCloud posted:

lol how do yyou manage to do that. Idiot. Just as well he's pretty much noped out most of the discourse

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

huh, oh I'll do stuff from then eventually. An ex-Patron got incredibly arseholish about doing a vid on Manami Toyota and that's been a bit of a speed bump

a Manami Toyota video should just be clips of her doing springboard topes and then capping it off with the Victory Star Drop and a voice over saying "and that's why Manami Toyota was the best"

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: nm

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 28, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Punisher Warzone is a loving masterpiece of splatterfest cinematography and would not be nearly as good without a mature rating. :colbert:

That movie wouldn't be the same without the smarmy cokehead getting his weak face punched all the way in by Frank, that movie is nuts and yeah, shows why you need an R rating for some of the brutal characters to have fun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

In the last version of this thread (I think) I posted a video I made about Diaclone, a transformers-related brand of Japanese robot toys. I've now made my second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pants Donkey posted:

One thing that hit hard from this was his anxiety over losing his job and being forced back into retail. A little over a year ago I got my first “real” job/career, and at first it’s just reveling in foreign concepts like “having weekends” and “not having to decide which bills you can pay and which can go unpaid a bit longer.” But eventually that fades to this looming fear that it’s going to be taken from you. Back to barely making ends meet, having crappy insurance that won’t cover my transition, and the awkwardness of being the only person in my social circle we have to schedule around because taking a Saturday off is a heroic ask that requires two months’ notice (and it better not be during December). The pandemic doesn’t help, thinking of the health risks and, while I’m not a weirdo about masks, they cannot be fun to wear eight+ hours a day. All while work has layoffs because of reduced business due to the pandemic. Fun!

Hi, this is me right now. I left my office job back in September and i've been able to coast on savings but the fear of going back to retail, especially ever since all the bullshit that has happened since the election fills me with existential dread :sigh:

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I got a Covid scare in early April and my gas station job, where I definitely got the bug(turned out to just be the flu), barely filled the spot and then was gonna have us on a skeleton crew of four people in total while the manager and assistant manager quarantined away. They had also just fired or lost all but two long term employees(me and another lady) and were filling the spots with trainees, which would we'd be working with on top of increased Covid precautions.

I said gently caress that and quit and ever since I have been stuck in self-isolation for my roommates' safeties. I honestly have no idea when or how I'll have to, let alone be able to, get another job again. But I never want a retail job ever again now that I've seen what the vast majority of the US thinks of so-called "essential workers".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

lol how do yyou manage to do that. Idiot. Just as well he's pretty much noped out most of the discourse
This is extremely common. Scientists (which TF is) are not typically public speakers or trained in debate, which are actual skills. Creationists like Ray Comfort (the con artist atF debated) just do nothing but iterate rhetorical tricks and bad-faith arguments because they know debates aren’t about demonstrating how you are right but appearing right. This is why creationists and similar bad-idea peddlers try to debate whenever they can, since A) it gives their viewpoint more legitimacy since if there’s debate still happening then maybe it isn’t a settled matter and B) making a scientist who is likely overconfident since, you know, they’re right isn’t all that hard.

This is why Ken Ham got clobbered by Bill Nye, because Nye is an actor and entertainer first, and is equipped for such situations. Likewise atheist education advocate and Youtuber Aron Ra, who also debated Ray, but instead of thinking mere facts would be enough just studied Comfort’s tricks from other debates and turned them against him.

EDIT: To be clear, last I checked Thunderfoot is still a shithead, but scientists losing what you’d think are softball debates isn’t uncommon or a unique failing on his part.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

*Peeling off the corner chipped sticker that says "Essential Workers" to reveal "Dead Peasants" yet again*

:d2a:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

a Manami Toyota video should just be clips of her doing springboard topes and then capping it off with the Victory Star Drop and a voice over saying "and that's why Manami Toyota was the best"
just the first 20 seconds of this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aqv6OS-vbM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

That movie wouldn't be the same without the smarmy cokehead getting his weak face punched all the way in by Frank, that movie is nuts and yeah, shows why you need an R rating for some of the brutal characters to have fun.

Don't forget "GOD DAMMIT CASTLE!" :cripes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

just the first 20 seconds of this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aqv6OS-vbM

no its not fine because she's jobbing out Takako Inoue!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

This is extremely common. Scientists (which TF is) are not typically public speakers or trained in debate, which are actual skills. Creationists like Ray Comfort (the con artist atF debated) just do nothing but iterate rhetorical tricks and bad-faith arguments because they know debates aren’t about demonstrating how you are right but appearing right. This is why creationists and similar bad-idea peddlers try to debate whenever they can, since A) it gives their viewpoint more legitimacy since if there’s debate still happening then maybe it isn’t a settled matter and B) making a scientist who is likely overconfident since, you know, they’re right isn’t all that hard.

This is why Ken Ham got clobbered by Bill Nye, because Nye is an actor and entertainer first, and is equipped for such situations. Likewise atheist education advocate and Youtuber Aron Ra, who also debated Ray, but instead of thinking mere facts would be enough just studied Comfort’s tricks from other debates and turned them against him.

EDIT: To be clear, last I checked Thunderfoot is still a shithead, but scientists losing what you’d think are softball debates isn’t uncommon or a unique failing on his part.

I mean anyone without an education can dunk on even the worlds most senior academics in a verbal and unmoderated debate. You just make poo poo up. A relentless machine-gun of tiny lies, slivers of truths and examples that will overwhelm anyone who gets suckered into trying to address the individual arguments. The reason the gish gallop in particular is such a dominant rhetorical tactic is because it doesn't matter how little you know about the topic, to the un-informed observer it appears as if you know what you're talking about just by virtue that you keep naming things.

Academics are especially vulnerable because they, with their wealth of nuanced knowledge on topics, can't resist taking the bait.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Droyer posted:

In the last version of this thread (I think) I posted a video I made about Diaclone, a transformers-related brand of Japanese robot toys. I've now made my second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0
neat

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget "GOD DAMMIT CASTLE!" :cripes:

"AND NONE OF YA WILL HAVE TO GO TO IRAQ!"

Jigsaw was a fun one in that movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

If unfamiliar, the music that plays is one of my favorite songs of all time, Komm, Susser Tod(Come, Sweet Death), the music that plays during the finale of End of Evangelion. It's also a huge mood, among other things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc6KUlXP--M

Every now and then I try to watch End of Eva. Not because I like it (I actually find it kind of poo poo overall) but because I'm trying to figure out just what Anno wanted to do with the movie or what he wanted it to be about. I agree the song is nice, it's like a lunatic version of Hey Jude. I just can't get a bead on the film itself. Is it Anno having a mental breakdown in animated form? Is he trolling the TV show's rabid fan base? Was he intentionally writing one of the most mean spirited nihilistic films I've watched?

I have no loving idea. EoE is an enigma to me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it Anno having a mental breakdown in animated form? Is he trolling the TV show's rabid fan base? Was he intentionally writing one of the most mean spirited nihilistic films I've watched?

Yes.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
There are traces of EoE's events in the last couple episodes, suggesting there were always plans to have some weird poo poo go down that they may or may not ever animate. But as best anyone can tell... Anno saw the reaction to him pouring his guts out in that finale and said "gently caress 'em". And thus a bleak series of events that might originally have turned out okay in the end became the EoE we have now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Talking Simpsons covered End of Eva recently on a What A Cartoon! premium ep if you have :10bux: for those guys. They did a lot to contextualize the movie without making definitive conclusions. I felt better able to interpret it from listening.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Every now and then I try to watch End of Eva. Not because I like it (I actually find it kind of poo poo overall) but because I'm trying to figure out just what Anno wanted to do with the movie or what he wanted it to be about. I agree the song is nice, it's like a lunatic version of Hey Jude. I just can't get a bead on the film itself. Is it Anno having a mental breakdown in animated form? Is he trolling the TV show's rabid fan base? Was he intentionally writing one of the most mean spirited nihilistic films I've watched?

I have no loving idea. EoE is an enigma to me.

Yeah, I love Eva, it's my favroite anime. I have a black cat named Shinji. I feel like EoE doesn't really make sense unless you have the context for what the gently caress happened after the show ended.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll die on the hill that the ending of the series was perfect and that everything after is kaka.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

I'll die on the hill that the ending of the series was perfect and that everything after is kaka.

"Oh so you don't like my ending about a chronically depressed teenager finally accepting that he can be happy and his life is worth living? Fine then, have a movie where he jerks off over a comatose girl and then you can watch everyone in the show loving die horribly or explode into orange juice."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

At this point, I always get a little mad when I see someone who watches Eva, didn't like it, and their criticism come down to "Why can't Shinji just nut up and stop being a pansy" Because wow...you really missed the point of this show.

If Shinji acted like an actual mecha hero/protagonist, then this would just be a Gundam show with really messed up robot deigns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Oh so you don't like my ending about a chronically depressed teenager finally accepting that he can be happy and his life is worth living? Fine then, have a movie where he jerks off over a comatose girl and then you can watch everyone in the show loving die horribly or explode into orange juice."

Yeah! I admit that Shinji was difficult to follow at times because of his attitude and the choices he made but that ending made it all worth it and the retroactively makes the whole rest of the series all that much better. I think the show's still overrated but that ending was chef kiss.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now if only they could out the original dub on Netflix rather than the weak sauce no homo redub because Gainax is paranoid about how their shows are represented.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still have my original box set. I'm the biggest loser here, so I don't have to worry about any of that nonsense!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now if only they could out the original dub on Netflix rather than the weak sauce no homo redub because Gainax is paranoid about how their shows are represented.

Netflix didn't even bother to ask the original cast, either. I know a couple are non-union Texas folks still, but some are out in LA now being all SAG-AFTRA and everything. (The "Texodus" it's called.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Netflix didn't even bother to ask the original cast, either. I know a couple are non-union Texas folks still, but some are out in LA now being all SAG-AFTRA and everything. (The "Texodus" it's called.)

Is the OG English cast still slated to dub 4.0 whenever it gets localized?

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

EoE wasnt response to what people said about the finale. That comes from the letters that pop up that people claim are about the series but are actually about the death and rebirth movie. EoE was planned before the finale they didnt have time to make it in the finale because they had to throw out an entire episode because of a terrorist gas attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGHyPO9zcpY

Dovi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 28, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weirdo has decided that a: Jenny uses an uncredited ghostwriter(s) for her videos and b: that she doesn't pay said uncredited ghostwriter(s)
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1365941588174643206

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the OG English cast still slated to dub 4.0 whenever it gets localized?

As far as I know Funimation's going to keep the same cast, but I dread the script they'd have to use.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

As far as I know Funimation's going to keep the same cast, but I dread the script they'd have to use.

Yep, Khara get to dictate the script exactly how they want it. Which is a translation by Japanese folks who aren't often completely fluent in the English language plus their desire for the project to be taken 100% seriously. It's a NO FUN ALLOWED zone when they screen the Eva movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Look at this scrub, who can’t even speak Japanese fluently.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MiddleOne posted:

I mean anyone without an education can dunk on even the worlds most senior academics in a verbal and unmoderated debate. You just make poo poo up. A relentless machine-gun of tiny lies, slivers of truths and examples that will overwhelm anyone who gets suckered into trying to address the individual arguments. The reason the gish gallop in particular is such a dominant rhetorical tactic is because it doesn't matter how little you know about the topic, to the un-informed observer it appears as if you know what you're talking about just by virtue that you keep naming things.

Academics are especially vulnerable because they, with their wealth of nuanced knowledge on topics, can't resist taking the bait.

Back in high school we had one edgelord teacher who in multiple classes had "debate practice" with very real-world topics (hate speech, mandatory vaccinations, teaching of evolution etc) where you were assigned to a side at random. It was hot garbage for learning anything but I did come to learn one thing on my own - if you're debating a point you know/believe is bullshit it's remarkably easy to do well, because then you can debate in bad faith. From that point, it's all about hair-splitting, dodging facts you know are true, unloading meta-arguments questioning how they know their facts are true.

If you rely on actual evidence to prove your point, your audience has to still believe that evidence, and your opponent can simply "how do we know that's true?" until you run out of time. Facts are always on the defensive with debates, and bullshit on offence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vagabundo posted:

Look at this scrub, who can’t even speak Japanese fluently.

I do admit I'm interested to see how the Japanese language track accounts for the scene where Asuka rips Shinji a new one for not speaking Japanese. While having them both speak Japanese.

Look making TV shows and movies where people speak multiple languages and then also finding actors who can do the same is really hard.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 28, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I was halfway through Evangelion when the pandemic started and I stopped watching shows on streaming. I should pick it back up soon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Look making TV shows and movies where people speak multiple languages and then also finding actors who can do the same is really hard.

That was always the nice thing about Asuka's dub actress who could speak German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Well that's wrong. The ending is perfect, but the Rebuild movies are also vgood.