Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Private Speech posted:

It's a population map, square per million people.

Still it's quite interesting because of that.

e: Actually looking at Australia and the US that doesn't seem right. Uhh, maybe it's some product of area and population with the scale being per continent?

My guess is that each rectangle on the map is bounded by a 1 degree latitude/longitude line, and then national borders are drawn by best fit, or by whichever state has the most land in a particular square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BonHair posted:

The interesting thing is that golf is very much a Western thing, India and China don't care for it outside of entertaining Western idiots. Or at least, that's my reading.

I think it's mostly a generational thing. Participation in recreational golf peaked around 2003, but I think golf courses stopped being the place to do business around the end of the 1990s when the ICT industry was taking off, because ain't nobody got time for that.

I think Warren Buffett is currently the only golfer among the top 10 highest net worth businessmen. He's also the oldest.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I think it's mostly a generational thing. Participation in recreational golf peaked around 2003, but I think golf courses stopped being the place to do business around the end of the 1990s when the ICT industry was taking off, because ain't nobody got time for that.

I think Warren Buffett is currently the only golfer among the top 10 highest net worth businessmen. He's also the oldest.

Yeah the law firm I work all the bosses who came up in the 90s play golf, but no one younger than about 40 does. It used to be a thing you had to learn when you were starting out but who wants to play golf now?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Yeah that sounds like a bad-faith (ha) new-atheist interpretation of what apostolic succession is lmfao

To expand on that: reincarnation would run totally counter the belief in an eternal afterlife and the faith that all humans have an (1) exclusive soul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but if any faith could come up with "of course there is one eternal and exclusive soul, but there's also an aspect to the soul which is both an entire soul and also a separate entity of the soul which is passed down between Popes in its own right, consubstantial, coequal, and coeternal" without either invalidating the other it'd be the Roman Catholic Church.

I'm not saying that they in any way do, but if at any point they had wanted to they could have.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I have to admit, I was considering the idea of a Papal soul trinity too. Actually, could be a general thing:

Eternal soul - Mind - Grace

With the Papal Grace being transferred between popes, with the presence of this grace obviously being what makes the cardinals pick that guy as the new pope.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It would be wrong to imagine the average catholic to have any idea what the "theory" behind catholicism is about. The average catholic don't believe the wine turns into blood or other nonsense.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Again, not saying this is what Catholics actually believe, but reincarnation in general could be kinda compatible with the concept of purgatory and judgement not occurring until the second coming. In theory you could keep recycling the souls until Jesus comes back. It actually sounds better than the 2000 year waiting room the early Christians have been sitting in.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BonHair posted:

Again, not saying this is what Catholics actually believe, but reincarnation in general could be kinda compatible with the concept of purgatory and judgement not occurring until the second coming. In theory you could keep recycling the souls until Jesus comes back. It actually sounds better than the 2000 year waiting room the early Christians have been sitting in.

I don't think christianism is used much to the idea of reincarnation. More like a is alien concept to them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

John 9:1-2 is sometimes taken as evidence of an early Christian belief in reincarnation, but it is definitely not currently taught in any mainstream sect.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tei posted:

It would be wrong to imagine the average catholic to have any idea what the "theory" behind catholicism is about. The average catholic don't believe the wine turns into blood or other nonsense.

Of course not, but the average Catholic certainly doesn't believe all Popes are incarnations of St-Peter.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tei posted:

The average catholic don't believe the wine turns into blood or other nonsense.

Pretty much every Catholic i know does. (Not the resurrection thing, but transubstantiation)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BonHair posted:

Most sects that don't believe you immediately go to heaven or hell don't think you sit in a waiting room in Limbo or whatever. They basically say everyone who dies, dies for real. Just pure oblivion like atheist think happen. They believe that the important part about Jesus coming back again is that he will resurrect everyone who believes in him to eternal physical life in paradise. Whether this paradise is Heaven or the "New Earth" spoken of in the Bible, and what happens to those who don't believe in Jesus (Some say they just stay dead, other say they go to fire and brimstone Hell, some say true death is hell) varies depending on sect. So no one has to worry about the long wait for the apocalypse, you'll be dead until it happens. Of cours only a minority of sects believe this. Most sects just say everyone is immediately sent to heaven or hell as some kind of spirit immediately at death.

Posting Maps in the Map thread.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I sat next to a believer on a bus one Friday and he kept droning in about how it was sad that everyone else on the bus was going to Hell because alcohol was a great satan (I... wasn't drunk, I was going to visit my mum). I told him that it was funny when he went to heaven and I went to hell and it would logically have to be the same place as anywhere he was was hell to everyone else. He changed seats and started the same conversation with some poor kid who I highly doubt was into boozing - looked like she was going to the stables.

Religion really should be banned.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

this requires a very strange form of reincarnation where upon the death of a pope the soul doesn't reincarnate into a newborn but instead a 70 year old man who was up to this point presumably soulless

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The weird map where Portugal don't agree with UK or east europe.

Also, I feel bad about the mediterraneans choosing Alaska has destination.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fun fact: a shopping mall in Omaha, Nebraska includes a museum of czech culture and history. Sadly it was closed when I was there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

The interesting thing is that golf is very much a Western thing, India and China don't care for it outside of entertaining Western idiots. Or at least, that's my reading.

I believe you're correct, though Japan is an outlier. It has many courses and it at least used to be pretty popular. Not sure if it still is today.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Count Roland posted:

I believe you're correct, though Japan is an outlier. It has many courses and it at least used to be pretty popular. Not sure if it still is today.

Given how scarce land is around big Japanese cities I would imagine it (used to be) a huge status symbol.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I like how Beelzebub's castle has a garden

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What kind of prince of hell, commander of legions, and despoiler of man would you be if your castle didn't have a garden?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Orange Devil posted:

Given how scarce land is around big Japanese cities I would imagine it (used to be) a huge status symbol.

Doesn't agricultural land have some weird legal status in a lot of places in Japan, so that billions of dollars of potential real estate can't be developed?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The more weird poo poo I hear that certain Protestants are taught about Catholics the more floored I am. The most I grew up hearing about Protestants was the snake waving and having bare church interiors

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

its probably less a status symbol and more a good target for pork barrel spending that japan love(ed) to do. especially for more rural towns full of old people throw up a golf course and a rec center and remind people that the ldp built it for you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

The more weird poo poo I hear that certain Protestants are taught about Catholics the more floored I am. The most I grew up hearing about Protestants was the snake waving and having bare church interiors

Protestantism is founded on the idea that Catholicism was ridiculous and full of unnecessary and bad practices. It makes sense that the weird made up beliefs only apply one way, since Catholicism is fine by itself. Also the bare interiors are real as gently caress, in Denmark we find tons of cool murals hidden behind white paint in old churches.

As for Japan, it's probably live baseball being popular over there. Japan where WWII wanted to become more Western fast, so they adopted a bunch of crap. Why not golf as well?
I think Christmas got a weird half adoption where it's definitely a thing, but more like valentine's day than a family thing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They go yo KFC for christmas right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kulkasha posted:

I saw the Pope in the oratory making idols and I saw one of the idols and the idol looked at me!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
It's not clear this was what you were saying, but baseball in Japan predates WW2 (and therefore a lot of the Western hard and soft power in the country), like, by a lot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Minne?
Sota!

And then they were disappointed because there was no war there.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/MangaDex/status/1364161501083361281

Those little Green dots in the ocean made me go to Google Maps, I didn't know that a bunch of those tiny islands were inhabited.

Notable: Guam and Reunion Island.

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 1, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tweezer Reprise posted:

It's not clear this was what you were saying, but baseball in Japan predates WW2 (and therefore a lot of the Western hard and soft power in the country), like, by a lot.

Yeah baseball got popular during the Meiji period.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SniHjen posted:

Those little Green dots in the ocean made me go to Google Maps, I didn't know that a bunch of those tiny islands were inhabited.

Turns out nobody in East Germany likes isekai because the truck hit their entire country in October 1990.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Golf too. The first Japanese course was built in 1903. They also spread it to Korea during the occupation period (another outlier that is easy to miss on that map).

Starks fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 1, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It'd be wrong to say that Meiji was before significant western soft power, given the national project of industrializing by imitation so they wouldn't be industrialized by colonization. And the first course in Japan was a club for expats, followed initially by local ones for returning officials or magnates who'd held overseas posts, though some thereof pushed for it as a mass sport and there was a Taisho burst of municipal coursebuilding. Modern usage, however, tends towards memberships as a speculative investment or as a venue for entertaining clients, essentially taking the American stereotype of the game on a prescriptive level.

There is a zoning category--the "unusual" thing about Japanese zoning is that zoning categories are fixed nationwide, with prefecture and city governments limited to placing them and approving certain preconceived variances--barring development of certain land, with significant coverage (just about 10% of the country), but I wouldn't necessarily expect golf courses to be allowed under it. The thing that does allow for widespread coursebuilding is that the 10 zone types other than no-development, moderate industry, and heavy industry, are simply increasing floor-area and coverage ratios paired with decreasing restrictions on potentially nuisance businesses: non-residential stores or restaurants allowed in tier 2, hospitals and universities in tier 3, office buildings in tier 4, hotels in tier 5, mild nightlife like karaoke in 6, warehouses and theaters in 7, commercial buildings over ~100k sqft in 8, highrises and suspiciously brothel-like buildings in 9, and light industry with potential but unlikely environmental impact in 10. Since a golf club is in essence a small- to mid-sized store and restaurant attached to more than enough parkland to solve any coverage or building setback questions anyway, it's treated quite leniently under this system.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

SniHjen posted:

Istanbul making a great showing. All of my female middle school students are obsessed with Bananafish currently for some reason.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
he's called holiday gift man, and he lives on the moon.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SniHjen posted:

Hawaii, more like kawaii amirite. On a country level, it probably correlates pretty well with golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kauai