Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Srice posted:

Honestly instead of grinding JP a bunch early on it's better to just keep going through the story since you'll be drowning in jobs soon enough.

You’re right but there’s something about that grinding wheel that really activates my brain worms. I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I got the Thief Asterisk. Good costume, gently caress that boss fight. Holy poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Theif asterisk was the fight in the first demo right? Is the fight significantly different than that?

Also I was wondering does anyone know if this has new game+?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Theif asterisk was the fight in the first demo right? Is the fight significantly different than that?

It has New Game+ with options for what you want to carry over.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Didn't play the Demo, but in my experience I was up against a very fast prick who would freely counter almost everything I do that wasn't using attack spells with a life drain that would do near as much damage as I just healed/did to him, countered Martial Arts AND Physical abilities so he got dibs on ya twice if you went that route without leaning on the fire powers, and to top it off he has a chance to steal BP whenever you default. Complete pain in the rear end. I got fed up and just poisoned him and settled for throwing my arsenal of attack items at him until he choked on it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Just got through the prologue, random thoughts

Thank goodness they kept battle speed up

The fact you can't see turn order anymore is a huge letdown

I really dislike how they made buffs/debuffs so much worse. Not sure if it's worth doing when you need like 5+ turns of BP to get them to max effectiveness.

Maybe it's just the first jobs, but all the skills seem really bland.

Thankfully JP needed per job level doesn't seem to increase exponentially anymore, I had fire 2 before the first boss. The real fun in this game is having all the abilities and voltroning them together, not grinding JP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got this game, I loving loved BD1 and thought BS was good but a bit less inspired. Haven’t loaded it up yet, but from what I hear the battle system is still good and the art style is identical. Question is, how’s the plot and party banter? Is it on the level of BD1 or BS?

Anything I should be worried about going in, e.g. places where it’s worse than previous games?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Seth's EN voice actor sounds like a better-directed Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to me (it's not them apparently).

raditts posted:

You can buy two types of "damage all enemies" items in the shop in the first town. They pretty much melt the first asterisk bosses.

I didn't think those showed up until after the fight, though forage being kinda silly had me finding similar items at level 6-7 (which would be overkill for that fight but, eh).

Got to the 2nd town last night and decided to do some JP grind to master freelancer. Went back to the starting area beach, scared a half dozen enemies in to a corner and then popped a fresh fish. End result was 7 fights, 3x rewards and something like 1k JP :stare:

Did it a few more times and the highest it got to was just over 1.3k JP for one of the fights (which I'm assuming was then boosted by 1.2-1.7x for everyone) which is pretty hilarious considering those fights are just a complete non-threat with ok gear and level 8-9. Or you can just do it as soon as you have all 4 characters since you'll also have sloan to keep you alive and help murder everything but I'm dumb and didn't do that. It seems like the bonus caps at 3x and maybe 10 consecutive fights? I never went over 10 fights even when I chained 8 enemies with a bait food active at night (though I did end up with most/all of those 10 waves being 5-6 enemies each).

Srice posted:

Honestly instead of grinding JP a bunch early on it's better to just keep going through the story since you'll be drowning in jobs soon enough.

Yes but I want to grind those jobs at 1.7x speed :v:

glassyalabolas posted:

It has New Game+ with options for what you want to carry over.

This is the best way to NG+. Except when you have to spend points on it like in Tales games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Just got this game, I loving loved BD1 and thought BS was good but a bit less inspired. Haven’t loaded it up yet, but from what I hear the battle system is still good and the art style is identical. Question is, how’s the plot and party banter? Is it on the level of BD1 or BS?

Anything I should be worried about going in, e.g. places where it’s worse than previous games?

I'm still pretty early on so the plot's still pretty basic (gotta get the four crystals before the bad guys do!), but so far the party banter has been great. Plenty of little "party talk" skits you unlock along the way as well.

One of the big changes/downgrades from the previous games is that you can no longer adjust the encounter rate or independently adjust the EXP/JP/money drop rate. Encounters are now visible on the field so you can avoid them that way, and how much EXP/JP you get from battle is tied to your difficulty level (though you can still change that any time).

The combat system also handles turn order differently. In Bravely Default/Second, you enter commands for your whole party at once, then the round plays out. In Bravely Default 2, you enter commands for a party member when their turn comes up, and there are only vague indicators of whose turn will come up when. It creates a different pace/feeling for the battles that can take a little getting used to compared to Default/Second. It's something plenty of other JRPGs do of course (maybe even most?) but still, a change from the previous games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the one thing currently bothering me is that I haven't gotten a healer job since White Mage and I've already mastered that one long ago. Putting White Mage as a sub job obviously will still let you heal, but all the other jobs except Bard seem to have pretty bad stats for it making the heals weak

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Got a Large XP Orb from the Ship Mode and now I have a level 21 character and 3 12s.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When it comes to JP grinding, assuming I didn't get JP Up/Up and Up in the prologue, when's another good opportunity to grind out those Freelancer levels on everyone? I assume I'm going to want those abilities sooner than later.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Your Computer posted:

the one thing currently bothering me is that I haven't gotten a healer job since White Mage and I've already mastered that one long ago. Putting White Mage as a sub job obviously will still let you heal, but all the other jobs except Bard seem to have pretty bad stats for it making the heals weak

You don't get any other healing job until Chapter 3.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

I managed to beat a rare enemy at level 13, without excessive jp grinding :toot:! It was the snake with 20k health in a sidepath of the underground waterway. It wasn't all that difficult, when compared to an asterisk boss fight, just time consuming.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

^burtle posted:

Got a Large XP Orb from the Ship Mode and now I have a level 21 character and 3 12s.

lol this would drive me mad

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish the ship was a menu option and not something I need to travel to the first town every morning to get my stuff.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

When it comes to JP grinding, assuming I didn't get JP Up/Up and Up in the prologue, when's another good opportunity to grind out those Freelancer levels on everyone? I assume I'm going to want those abilities sooner than later.

It really doesn't have to be in the prologue and you can do it anytime after; I did it immediately after getting to the city in chapter 1. You do need to do forage farming, which is actually quicker after you lose the support character in the prologue since they can end battles early by attacking.

1) battle low level enemy like a goblin in the first area. Leave one goblin alive, have all characters forage, and tape down your A button (have cursor set to memory) and watch tv for a bit. What you're looking for is a stockpile of throwing items (stones, throwing knives, throwing axes, etc).

2) hornets in the first map drop insect nectar which increase consecutive battles with them. Use that and get into battle with the hornet, Brave then use two throwing items to kill all enemies each wave. This gets you between 100 to 300 jp and more insect nectar.

3) repeat until mastered freelancer.

Edit: don't really see why this couldn't take care of all your classes, but a better way will probably come up later in the game that takes less time.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 28, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PageMaster posted:

It really doesn't have to be in the prologue and you can do it anytime after; I did it immediately after getting to the city in chapter 1. You do need to do forage farming, which is actually quicker after you lose the support character in the prologue since they can end battles early by attacking.

1) battle low level enemy like a goblin in the first area. Leave one goblin alive, have all characters forage, and tape down your A button (have cursor set to memory) and watch tv for a bit. What you're looking for is a stockpile of throwing items (stones, throwing knives, throwing axes, etc).

2) hornets in the first map drop insect nectar which increase consecutive battles with them. Use that and get into battle with the hornet, Brave then use two throwing items to kill all enemies each wave. This gets you between 100 to 300 jp and more insect nectar.

3) repeat until mastered freelancer.

Guess I know what I'm gonna do during my work meetings tomorrow :v: No downside to just passively gaining +70% JP on everyone for as long as I can spare the ability slots.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish the ship was a menu option and not something I need to travel to the first town every morning to get my stuff.

I am still early in but the first two towns both have ship people.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a shop to pick it up in the second town, and presumably every town after.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I think the card game just spoiled a story beat for me about the 2nd city by showing me Prince Castor's card where he's clearly in some sort of Berseker/Barbarian asterisk costume. I knew something like that was coming (he's shifty as hell) but still funny to get it revealed like that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

she's in Savalon, as well, so I assume she's in other towns

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh ok. I must have missed it when looking around. Good to know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoy how, because you don't kill Asterisk holders after their fights, you get to see them reduced to whatever their Freelancer outfit would be after you steal their Asterisk. It's like stealing an enemy's clothes with Locke in FF6 :allears:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

I really enjoy how, because you don't kill Asterisk holders after their fights, you get to see them reduced to whatever their Freelancer outfit would be after you steal their Asterisk. It's like stealing an enemy's clothes with Locke in FF6 :allears:

The best part about it is how it counts both ways so somebody you might not expect of having any game can whip out a rock and start wildly kicking your rear end. It's neat.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
How does everyone get such high battle chains?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The load times are a pain but this is really growing on me. I kinda love the visuals now.

The evil Prime Minister changing into that flashy monk outfit made me loving lose it, I was totally expecting like time mage or something and then he goes into full glammed up kung fu. Goddamn what.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

raditts posted:

You... did finish Bravely Second, right?
The equivalent in that game was super dumb, but then again, so was the rest of the game.

Oh my god, you're right, I completely blanked on that game. A lot of it wasn't memorable at all to me, and now I'm realizing how long ago it came out. I mostly only remember grinding up ninjas to be super broken.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

stev posted:

Lmao I just gave that character back and it didn't even occur to me to do any of that. Ah well.

How long will it be before I get another job? I don't know whether to just leave Adelle as a freelancer and level the other three on the jobs the game suggested for the time being.

It's not like this game is Dark Souls difficulty or anything so just play the game as intended and give yourself a little challenge your first time through, at least.

You can always just go back to the first wilderness area later and leave one weak enemy alive while your party forages until you have unstoppable murder machines.

I am kinda curious though as to whether the first "you're supposed to lose" story battle against Adam is theoretically winnable though, since he does seem to have a finite amount of HP even if that amount is 99999.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the best use for Bard? It seems like a really good subjob since it doesn't seem to rely on stats at all, is that accurate?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks to whoever mentioned grinding JP early on to max Freelancer, that was not really all that bad. I’d rather grind a bit now so I don’t have to later. I also spent a ton of battles spamming Forage and just letting the guest kill the enemies so now I have tons and tons of items. Hopefully I can keep rolling through the story now without getting stuck on any hard bosses.

The game is definitely charming so far and feels a lot more like the earlier games than the original demo did which is nice. I’m looking forward to continuing on and seeing what kind of weird, multi-dimensional hijinks my teams gets into.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Caidin posted:

The best part about it is how it counts both ways so somebody you might not expect of having any game can whip out a rock and start wildly kicking your rear end. It's neat.

Yeah absolutely. I had a rough idea how the end of the prologue was going to go down, but then they whipped out an Asterisk and I genuinely laughed out loud in surprise

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's the best use for Bard? It seems like a really good subjob since it doesn't seem to rely on stats at all, is that accurate?

If you are maining the class the buffs last a turn longer. In my experience so far Bard buffs have been really really good in boss fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why won't a single Insect Nectar drop for me :negative:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Bard pairs real nice with the debuff class you get later since a lot of the stuff that affects the songs affects the debuffs as well. Also, Bard's faster than White Mage, so if you sub it you'll be able to get the heals out more often at the trade off of being a little squisher.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think Bard's base likelihood to be targeted is higher than a lot of classes though so they might require some babysitting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't say I'm a fan of so far every boss' gimmick being "if you hit our weakness you get countered in some way" That seems like an interesting gimmick for a specific boss but fights turning into finding ways to NOT hit weak points is...weird?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Just made it to Chapter 4 with about 25 hours clocked on Hard. I was apprehensive of the story's pacing, but things started to pick up in Chapter 3.

Some of the more useful job passives so far:
(Beastmaster) MP Saver - Reduces MP costs by 20%. Stacks with other sources of MP reducing equipment.
(Beastmaster) Raw Power - Increases physical damage by 10% per action. Max Braving will skyrocket your final attack's damage.
(Gambler) Rare Talent - Rare item drop rate up by 10%. Stacks with each party member.
(Red Mage) Revenge - 25% chance of gaining 1 BP when attacked
(Pictomancer) Sub-Job BP Saver - Reduces BP cost of active sub-job abilities by 1. Great for spamming Monk's Pressure Point (boss killer) or Berserker's Crescent Moon (trash clearer)
(Swordmaster) 2 Hands Are Better Than 1 - FF's Doublehand. Stats of your main hand weapon is increased by 1.4x. Your character's combat stance changes too, which is a nice touch.
(Spiritmaster) Sub-Job Specialty 1 - Your sub-job's 1st specialty is unlocked.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Absolutely dont sleep on your abilities, especially in boss fights. Fighting the bard, braving my monk into invigorate and then spamming the higher damage lower hit % ability, seth was doing 1200 a hit. Totally nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I be selling things like Bug Wings, Dwarf Teeth, etc. or is there something to save them for?