Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

yeah, it's reaaaal bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

yeah, it's reaaaal bad.

The fact that he's a "I get to dictate the terms of our relationship" kind of guy casts the whole "Lol it was just a joke rape" thing in a far more uncomfortable context.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kurieg posted:

The fact that he's a "I get to dictate the terms of our relationship" kind of guy casts the whole "Lol it was just a joke rape" thing in a far more uncomfortable context.

Only if you believed him when he was doing the woe is me it was just an one off joke gone wrong I was just trying to be fun and funny I am not like this as a person dance.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Only if you believed him when he was doing the woe is me it was just an one off joke gone wrong I was just trying to be fun and funny I am not like this as a person dance.

I didn't. Hopefully other people read her comments and adjust their views, but there's already someone in her replies saying that she shouldn't "Weaponize her trauma" to keep him out of the industry.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I didn't. Hopefully other people read her comments and adjust their views, but there's already someone in her replies saying that she shouldn't "Weaponize her trauma" to keep him out of the industry.

Didn't mean to imply that you did, sorry. I'm just a bit angry at how much "wow this came out of nowhere" type poo poo there is (offsite) right now and I'm obviously not communicating very well so I'm gonna gently caress off outside for a bit.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
Doesn’t Luke Crane work for Kickstarter, the crowdfunding platform with the motto of “we support creators, except when the people we employ to create our business unionize in which case they can gently caress off”?

Just another reason to never ever deal with that terrible site.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The Kickstarter union has aggressively opposed boycott at all points.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Doesn’t Luke Crane work for Kickstarter, the crowdfunding platform with the motto of “we support creators, except when the people we employ to create our business unionize in which case they can gently caress off”?

Just another reason to never ever deal with that terrible site.

He does. People informed me today that he's no longer in charge of the Games division at KS but is instead the VP of Community (lmao)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

He does. People informed me today that he's no longer in charge of the Games division at KS but is instead the VP of Community (lmao)

For bonus points it looked to me like he used the actual official Kickstarter company account for this clusterfuck not his own.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And now it looks like Adam Koebel has gone and deactivated his twitter account. He kept it up after his "apology," showed up today to promote Luke's project, and now the whole thing's taken down. Hopefully he fucks off for good this time.

It looks like more people are dredging up lovely memories of Koebels past too:

https://twitter.com/Silent0siris/status/1365791214407188480

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kai Tave posted:

It looks like more people are dredging up lovely memories of Koebels past too:

https://twitter.com/Silent0siris/status/1365791214407188480

This is a disgusting thing to do to a supposed friend, holy poo poo.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?
Behold, perfection! i rev up my motorcylce and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I hope it was worth it for him to burn bridges with like 75% of the big names in indie gaming.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

LongDarkNight posted:

I hope it was worth it for him to burn bridges with like 75% of the big names in indie gaming.

It's a sign of how bad the industry is that that number isn't 100%.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

potatocubed posted:

It's a sign of how bad the industry is that that number isn't 100%.

I was just thinking of the collaborators on the project. Hopefully this would warn off anyone that wasn't involved too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Don't blame the collaborators, they all seemingly didn't know.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Literally laughing that he thought some of these extremely outspoken and decent designers wouldn't bat an eye at being on the same project with Koebel.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

A bunch of those designers had to be clinging to protective silence and are heaving a sigh of relief right now that they're not gonna be long term tainted.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

theironjef posted:

A bunch of those designers had to be clinging to protective silence and are heaving a sigh of relief right now that they're not gonna be long term tainted.

Based on the ones I've interacted with and seen talking about it, I'm pretty sure they didn't know Koebel was involved until the KS went up, and several are real mad at Crane.

Like, openly. The reason the thing got cancelled is they all dropped out the moment they found out.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mors Rattus posted:

Based on the ones I've interacted with and seen talking about it, I'm pretty sure they didn't know Koebel was involved until the KS went up, and several are real mad at Crane.

Like, openly. The reason the thing got cancelled is they all dropped out the moment they found out.

Oh I know, I saw the Vincent and Meguey tweets. But that was a long list and I follow a few other people on it too, and there was some radio silence.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mors Rattus posted:

As far as I can tell the ‘harrassment towards other contributors’ Luke was referring to was that one of the contributors had a nervous breakdown when they realized Luke had lied to them.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

LongDarkNight posted:

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is always looking for more writers!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Conflating "people confronting you over the lies you told" and "harassment" is Big Abuser Energy, tbh. That's, like, day 1 abusive partner stuff.

I'm sure there was a degree of people expressing anger and shock at the people involved ("Why on earth would you sign on to a project knowing Koebel's name was attached"), as well as people expressing anger and shock at Crane directly ("How could you possibly think that this was acceptable behavior"), but I haven't seen any actual harassment (death threats, etc) and wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Jimbozig posted:

What Luke Crane did here with Koebel is bad enough that even one of his biggest fans (me) is pissed off about it.

Yup, extremely disappointed and angry at this. I expected Koebel to try and sneak his way back into something, but this is hosed.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Lemon-Lime posted:

He also ~somehow~ neglected to name Koebel in the marketing email he sent out:

I nearly backed this because the Bakers and Morningstar have games in it, but fortunately, existing in the general vicinity of the RPG industry has taught me to always triple-check author credits to make sure there are no Nazis and rapists hiding in there. :suicide:

lmao at the mentioning Sage and crediting them on Dungeon World but skipping on also mentioning That Guy who also worked on Dungeon World.

He loving knew.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, like...okay so you're gonna pick one game to mention that Vince Baker worked on and you pick Kill Puppies For Satan?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, like...okay so you're gonna pick one game to mention that Vince Baker worked on and you pick Kill Puppies For Satan?

Yeah, that really stood out given, you know Dogs in the Vineyard and AW.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that really stood out given, you know Dogs in the Vineyard and AW.

I can see Baker asking not to be identified with DitV since he's disavowed it. But not identifying him with Apocalypse World, progenitor of one of the most widespread design genres in the industry, and instead tying him to a joke game? That's weird.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This whole thing seems like a lovely performative stunt, and I honestly can't figure out what Crane's ultimate goal here is because he just burned a shitload of good will across the scene including a couple dozen of the most prominent and influential designers in indie RPGs. Who is he gotcha-ing exactly?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can see Baker asking not to be identified with DitV since he's disavowed it. But not identifying him with Apocalypse World, progenitor of one of the most widespread design genres in the industry, and instead tying him to a joke game? That's weird.

Yeah, the disowned part is why I figured Crane would have gone there instead, given he's a dumbfuck.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is it the first game each person created?

e: It's not. Jared's first game was InSpectres.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 28, 2021

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can see Baker asking not to be identified with DitV since he's disavowed it.

When/why did this happen?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Is it the first game each person created?

e: It's not. Jared's first game was InSpectres.
Shab-Al Hiri Roach is an odd choice for Morningstar too, with Fiasco being much more famous

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Darth Various posted:

Shab-Al Hiri Roach is an odd choice for Morningstar too, with Fiasco being much more famous

My initial assumption was that it was a stupid 'list an unpopular game' joke applied to everyone, except Sage LaTorra has made games other than Dungeon World.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
In some places Dungeon World is mighty unpopular

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This whole thing seems like a lovely performative stunt, and I honestly can't figure out what Crane's ultimate goal here is because he just burned a shitload of good will across the scene including a couple dozen of the most prominent and influential designers in indie RPGs. Who is he gotcha-ing exactly?

Was he trying to make a 'I'm bigger than the game industry' flex?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

Was he trying to make a 'I'm bigger than the game industry' flex?

Luke Crane's entire bit is "I'm a pretentious rear end in a top hat who's better than you because I'm different and weird and do what I want and you can't tell me what to do", so that's my take

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Hanlon's Razor is in full force here. Luke thought he'd do his friend a solid and thought no one would notice or care that he snuck Adam's name in at the bottom of the list.

It does raise the question of "Was this all a way to get Adam back into the industry, and did you ever actually care about this project beyond that" though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Falstaff posted:

When/why did this happen?

Vincent Baker posted:

Basically, Westerns can go to hell, Utah history can go to hell, and unless i extricate Dogs in the Vineyard, it can go to hell too.

I have half a plan for a new edition and half a plan for a sequel. I think the sequel's more likely at this point, but neither are underway.

My thoughts on this have been historically ill received when offered. There is a generic version available that has Baker's approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I don't think it's that weird that they would list Kill Puppies for Satan or Shab al-Hiri Roach on this project. It's a joke game, and listing those is obviously a joke, too. It might be Baker and Morningstar asked to be identified with those games as part of the joke or it might just be Luke's weird sense of humour.