Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

aers posted:

ffxiv marketing has now leaned into the free trial meme with new ads

https://twitter.com/RWilkes94/status/1365834812943122445

Deep down, you're a slayer aren't you Julia? Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

You can also buy fragments off the marketboard before going in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That commercial has a very good stinger at the end

Edit:
https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1365875662817554432

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The free trial includes the Alexander raids.

A proper FFXIV ad should just be A8. Nothing else, just A8.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I just started shadowbringers and I feel like the voice acting had a noticeable jump in quality?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

He's just trying to get away from Krile and Tataru.

He's here to tell us that he definitely takes baths and absolutely didn't just hire some guy to say he does.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

inferis posted:

I just started shadowbringers and I feel like the voice acting had a noticeable jump in quality?

yes, along with basically everything else

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Just finished a 90 minute copied factory run, alliance C full wiped on every fight. :negative:

The best part is my friend expressed interest in BLM and I told them "maybe try them as a second class, I always see them at the bottom of the totem pole on the meters" and lo and behold, the two BLM's were dead last.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That commercial has a very good stinger at the end

Edit:
https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1365875662817554432

https://twitter.com/bwoomp/status/1144791194356109313

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqju18pcq6U is still my favorite commercial, though Estchillien was a nice touch.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Coincounter getting some tells is fine because no one EATS THEIR drat FRUIT.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I leveled every job to 80 using roulette and I remember maybe 2 or 3 times where people didn't eat fruit. Wiping on the first room was more common but whatever, you just get up and try again. AV is frustrating for syncing right before lots of jobs get cool abilities, and it has bad aesthetics, but it's solidly middle of the pack for ARR. I'd much rather do it than Qarn, Cutter's Cry, Copperbell, DD, or Totorak.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Did HoH solo. I think HoH has harder individual floor sets then PotD but the sheer length of PotD makes it feel so much worse..

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
So, having spent enough time in Bozja to get to rank 11, it seems like it's definitely something you do during prime time hours. Last few times I've gone in the place is packed when I zone in and completely dead when I zone out. Pretty much all I go in there for is FATE farming at this point to work on my rank, and there are only so many FATEs I can solo.

It is the weirdest feeling seeing the easiest CEs go by without a single person signing up.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Instances can "lock" after a time period which means no one new will get into your instance. If you open player search and no one has joined in hours (sort by remaining time in instance) and there's no one in there you just need to reinstance, because everyone's in other instances.

Since a ton of people tend to jet after Castrum you end up in a locked instance with 30-40 people that dwindles slowly over time.

Instances can also unlock if people stay in a locked instance long enough but don't count on that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

aers posted:

Did HoH solo. I think HoH has harder individual floor sets then PotD but the sheer length of PotD makes it feel so much worse..

From what I've heard, there's also a boss in late PotD that causes a lot of trouble for solo runs, more than anything else in either deep dungeon. I think it's a behemoth? I talked to someone who's very good at solo deep dungeon runs once, and he said that's the main struggle. Everything else in both deep dungeons you can manage without too much trouble just with a decent amount of luck and job fundamentals, but that one boss is such a strict challenge for solo runs, and comes so late that you're combating fatigue as well as a very difficult DPS challenge for solo runs.

I'm interested to see if/how that changes with the stat squish. Solo deep dungeon runs aren't exactly a focus for FFXIV's game balance, so I can imagine it'll swing a little, but I'm not sure if it'd become easier or harder.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

aers posted:

Instances can "lock" after a time period which means no one new will get into your instance. If you open player search and no one has joined in hours (sort by remaining time in instance) and there's no one in there you just need to reinstance, because everyone's in other instances.

Since a ton of people tend to jet after Castrum you end up in a locked instance with 30-40 people that dwindles slowly over time.

Instances can also unlock if people stay in a locked instance long enough but don't count on that.

Huh. I had no idea it worked that way. And yeah it did always seem like the zone dying would happen soon after a Castrum clear. I guess it's an unfortunate quirk of having these places be "overworld zones, but actually instances." At least with Diadem that's all solo stuff anyway so I'd never notice.

Anyway, speaking of Castrum I have it unlocked now. I guess I should figure out what all I need for it so I can jump in the next time it pops in a full instance.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jalapeno_dude posted:

I leveled every job to 80 using roulette and I remember maybe 2 or 3 times where people didn't eat fruit. Wiping on the first room was more common but whatever, you just get up and try again. AV is frustrating for syncing right before lots of jobs get cool abilities, and it has bad aesthetics, but it's solidly middle of the pack for ARR. I'd much rather do it than Qarn, Cutter's Cry, Copperbell, DD, or Totorak.

qarn is cool and fun imo

but did they nerf the suicide-bees at some point? I swear they used to be an actual mechanic you had to pay attention to but now they just die to AOE spam before they can final sting

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

From what I've heard, there's also a boss in late PotD that causes a lot of trouble for solo runs, more than anything else in either deep dungeon. I think it's a behemoth? I talked to someone who's very good at solo deep dungeon runs once, and he said that's the main struggle. Everything else in both deep dungeons you can manage without too much trouble just with a decent amount of luck and job fundamentals, but that one boss is such a strict challenge for solo runs, and comes so late that you're combating fatigue as well as a very difficult DPS challenge for solo runs.

I'm interested to see if/how that changes with the stat squish. Solo deep dungeon runs aren't exactly a focus for FFXIV's game balance, so I can imagine it'll swing a little, but I'm not sure if it'd become easier or harder.

It's the 180 floor boss, which is the most difficult boss in both deep dungeons to solo unless you're playing RDM or a healer. (I also personally feel it's trivial on MCH, but that depends on your comfort with playing MCH - I've killed it 3 times in a row no problem).

Once the boss hits 15%, it enrages and does nothing but Ecliptic Meteor casts, which hit for 80% of your health every 10 seconds. This is unmitigated except by shields (so Pomander of Steel does nothing, for example). Obviously RDM & the healers can just heal through the damage and DPS it down slowly; as long as it dies before you run out of MP or time it's a completely trivial fight.

Every other job has to come up with a plan to both survive enough meteors to have time to deal damage and also deal damage as fast as possible. MCH's burst is very good and if you use a dex pot you can kill it before the second meteor even goes off, or heal the first meteor with a combination of super potion+second wind+sustain pots and just kill it before the 3rd meteor. It gets a lot trickier for some of the other jobs; the tanks all pretty much have rotations you have to hit perfectly in order to finish it in time. The melee dps have Bloodbath which is basically a cheat button. BRD/DNC have really low damage and either have to spin the boss (very difficult perfect movement which sticks the enemy AI in "need to do an autoattack, can't do any abilities") or play 100% perfect and get a bit lucky.

So yeah, it's a bit of a blocker for most jobs. But it turns out MCH and RDM are the 'best' jobs for solo PotD anyway even discounting the 180 boss so as long as you're willing to play one of those the difficulty mainly lies in your ability to really focus for an hour at a time. One fuckup is death in 150+.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

qarn is cool and fun imo

but did they nerf the suicide-bees at some point? I swear they used to be an actual mechanic you had to pay attention to but now they just die to AOE spam before they can final sting
No. That's probably just a combination of the latent player power increase over time, and getting groups with decent DPS (or people who focus fire bees in the middle of AoE packs).

They still (nearly, IIRC?) one-shot tanks if left alive long enough, which takes low DPS groups to happen but it still happens.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The trick used to be to walk out of their cast range before the final sting cast bar finished IIRC.
But yeah I haven't had to do that at all the recent times I've gotten it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
You can also just stun the Final Sting cast.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

orcane posted:

They still (nearly, IIRC?) one-shot tanks if left alive long enough, which takes low DPS groups to happen but it still happens.
Final Sting does 80% of max hp. So it can still gently caress you up, but at this point people mostly know to focus them/stun it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

Coincounter getting AoE markers is interesting because there's a lot of coincounter-derivative bosses with the same tells that all kind of assume you've done AV and learned those tells already, so now that you don't have to learn them those bosses suddenly become more difficult to figure out.

they're all basically the same enemy, why would the first version of it having markers make it harder and not easier to learn

like that's how the normal trial into extreme trial learning curve goes and nobody seems to mind

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Augus posted:

yes, along with basically everything else

I’m now feeling the way everyone else did a year and half ago, that this is the best game I could never recommend to anyone.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

a cartoon duck posted:

they're all basically the same enemy, why would the first version of it having markers make it harder and not easier to learn

like that's how the normal trial into extreme trial learning curve goes and nobody seems to mind

Yeah, people were making the same kind of arguments back when Coincounter was first "nerfed", stuff along the lines of "well, if you give Coincounter markers, then players won't get introduced to bosses without markers for a while after, and they'll be unprepared", which is, like, "uhh, (a) AV is optional content, (b) Cutter's Cry also had a boss with no markers and would have been done earlier than AV, and (c) the very next boss without markers is Stone Vigil HM, so the player who actually does optional content isn't getting out of ARR without seeing two bosses without markers and the player who doesn't wouldn't be learning anything anyway".

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Anyone know what DGKK's orchestrion is set to?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Algid posted:

Anyone know what DGKK's orchestrion is set to?
It was The Extreme (don't look it up to avoid spoilers), but I just fumbled and turned it off. Guess it's gotta be Papaya on repeat now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

How can anybody not have their house music set to Gogo's Theme.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cleretic posted:

The free trial includes the Alexander raids.

A proper FFXIV ad should just be A8. Nothing else, just A8.

Brute Justice makes the perfect anything, really.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Raised By Birds posted:

Anyway, speaking of Castrum I have it unlocked now. I guess I should figure out what all I need for it so I can jump in the next time it pops in a full instance.

Nothing really. Just pop an essence on (you should always have one on in bozja anyway to make farming easier) and follow your group. Ask questions if you have them.

You won't got matched into a party automatically so make sure to ask for an invite once you get in if you went in solo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that my server finally completed Ishgard restoration, too. Took a while. I can't complain, because tbh, i haven't crafted or delivered a single thing since the tournament closed, lol.

Took a look around and we got the CUL statue, just as planned. Not sleeping for the entire last 2 days of the tournament and bringing CUL to the top of the server rankings paid off

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got Scholar to level 50!

I did a World of Darkness!

It went well!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

It went well!

World of Darkness is such a pretty raid, I really do love it

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I've got a friend who's trying to get the free trial over Steam, but it's not working. Every time she tries to log in she gets this message:

quote:

This service account does not have a valid FINAL FANTASY XIV license for this platform or your subscription has expired.
To register a license, please visit the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station

Any options other than either going to the non-Steam version or just shelling out to buy the game? Everything I can find on my own suggests that she's basically hosed on playing the trial over Steam because she made an account without jumping through very specific and ill-defined hoops first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, basically, sorry. It kinda sucks that way.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Does the regular version have any significant problems running through Steam as a non-Steam game, then? I remember Discord's overlay crashed my game often and with great enthusiasm until I turned it off, if those sort of problems are specific to Discord's overlay then she could just get the regular version and run it as a non-Steam game to share her screenshots.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Waffleman_ posted:

It went well!

Alliance raids feel way less stressful to me because you have a lot of support from the other healers and your tank’s not taking massive constant damage from wall pulls. It’s where the idea of being a “green DPS” really started to make sense to me.

Finally got to play with lilies on WHM and it gives it some identity I felt was really missing before. AST is about to hit 50 and I’m a little concerned it’s going to get too hectic with keeping track of seals now. Still probably going to end up being my favorite though.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've finally, FINALLY gotten to the beginning of Shadowbringers. Due to everything from finances to life changes, it's taken me over a year. At this point, I'm worried that I've built it up too much in my mind; I started playing because people were saying that the story to Shadowbringers was worth the potentially hundreds of hours it took to get there. At this point, I'm worried I've built it up too much in my mind, though. Anyone else start the game because of Shadowbringers buzz, and should I temper my expectations, or just allow myself to get super excited? For what it's worth, I have really liked the story so far, though it hasn't been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey why is Scholar suddenly like way more fun, this is weird