Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just got around to trying the updated System Shock remake demo and it's still bloody great. They've added the cyber space stuff and also there's way more SHODAN. What I really love is how much effort they've put into making it look like the old chunky game. Lovely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNWQZVshek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleusilences posted:

I can see the appeal of pokemon, but why play pokemon when you can do the same with games like Shin Megami Tensei.

smt has its own weaknesses. i enjoy the series but i hear fans go on at length about its tactical depth and i'm over here like, buff, strip, debuff, kill, adding three actions to the typical jrpg command queue does not a deep or challenging game make.

smt is also oppressively edgy, persona is better about watching its manners and minimizing the chuuni cackling. the last smt game i played was devil survivor and holy poo poo it's like the entire cast was written by a very very angry fifteen year old

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 28, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fur20 posted:

chuuni cackling

Do I want to know what this means

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

signalnoise posted:

Do I want to know what this means

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chuunibyou (Content Warning: TvTropes)

Middle School Syndrome, apparently? (Lolsoedgy)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chuunibyou (Content Warning: TvTropes)

Middle School Syndrome, apparently? (Lolsoedgy)

I read this and still have no idea

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

I think it’s like an eight grader in a trenchcoat type vibe but I’m also lost.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Am I supposed to know what these terms are? I think people use terms like 'tsundere' or something in general internet discourse-- and I still dont know what thats supposed to mean.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jokes posted:

Am I supposed to know what these terms are? I think people use terms like 'tsundere' or something in general internet discourse-- and I still dont know what thats supposed to mean.

basically tsundere means maybe if you got rid of that yee yee rear end haircut you'd get some bitches on your dick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

signalnoise posted:

middle school kids who think they are the reincarnation of famous historical figure or otherwise a vampire/werewolf/ancient sorcerer or something

It's like the "girl who who thought she was married to anime guys" thread

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And that just gives me some fun LARP ideas. Though I'm still partial to showing up as a filthy peasant with a lovely crossbow.

You should show up as a peasant with an ox-pulled cart full of furs and try to loudly market them for sale while people are fighting

If there's magic in this LARP then claim that the furs are enchanted to give bonuses to charisma, strength, and virility while motioning to your crotch

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

You should show up as a peasant with an ox-pulled cart full of furs and try to loudly market them for sale while people are fighting

If there's magic in this LARP then claim that the furs are enchanted to give bonuses to charisma, strength, and virility while motioning to your crotch

Do that regardless of magic being real in that fantasy world. Didn't stop people from selling snake oil in real life

Not in the mood for cheese? that excuse has more holes than a slice of this fine gorgembert

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Do that regardless of magic being real in that fantasy world. Didn't stop people from selling snake oil in real life

Not in the mood for cheese? that excuse has more holes than a slice of this fine gorgembert

That's a good point, it'd be realistic either way

Show up at a LARP selling magic potions, if someone's like "there's no magic in this setting" loudly accuse them of breaking character

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Guaranteed to save your life or your money back

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
finally finished farcry 3. probably the best farcry or at least the one i had the most fun playing.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Dark souls 3 is the best single player game of all time. Pick a weapon and use it. It’s so loving impressive how they made different weapons do different poo poo from each other. Even if you have same build stat wise as someone, using a different weapon will vastly change how you play the game.

Pvp isn’t bad, don’t level past about level 125 if you wanna play with or against people.

If you play just the vanilla game first you’ll be about level 90 at the final boss so you don’t even have to be worry about it

IMO summoning only sucks if you beat down on a boss without even learning the mechanics. But that goes away at higher levels and with dlc bosses. Even if you summon players you’ll need some knowledge or the mechanics to stay alive.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

this was the tutorial. why put it in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHnI2f-_pM

yeah i have to say i really wanted to play pokemon just to prove to myself that ash was the most awful trainer in existence and even i could do better

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 1, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its_my_birthday posted:

Dark souls 3 is the best single player game of all time.

Its great but Bloodborne is better.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It really sucks Bloodborne 2 isn't a thing yet, they must be working on something.
I fear they blew their entire creative load for Bloodborne so it's going to be a solitary thing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Schlong Connery posted:

Like someone else said, pokemon as a concept peaked at the second gen. But they really didn't get the combat right until much later when they split the types of damage attacks did. Before that it was kind of nonsensical. Of course the early games had lots of other things wrong with the combat

2nd gen had 80% of its monsters be essentially useless, extremely short routes, a nonsensical level curve. I like Johto a lot but theres definitely a huge amount of nostalgia coloring that (it was my first pokemon game).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
peak pokemon was whenever you were 12

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

lol, i was 12 in 1980, fifteen years before Pokemon was even a thing. We used to play outside until it was nighttime and neighbors looked out for each other. it was a very different world back then.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 1, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, i was 12 in 1980, fifteen years before Pokemon was even a thing. We used to play outside until it was nighttime and neighbors looked out for each other. it was a very different world back then.

back in my day we were truly fair game for pedophiles, it was a pedophile's dream, you could just snatch a kid right off the road, it was likea. buffet of unattended children. not like these darn video gaming youngsters

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There was also a shitload of kids going missing and 80s media for kids was almost entirely just direct advertisements, reactionary content to the Reagan repeal on advertisement for kids

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

back in my day we were truly fair game for pedophiles, it was a pedophile's dream, you could just snatch a kid right off the road, it was likea. buffet of unattended children. not like these darn video gaming youngsters

I know you are making fun of me,which is totally fine. However, It’s an unfortunate fact that the abuser is usually someone the child knows. All I know is that our neighborhood was fairly safe back in the day.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am one year older than you. there was always some card trading poo poo to nerd out about. magic the gathering came out when i was in high school. when i was in junior high it was baseball cards. when i was in elementary school it was garbage patch kids, which were so cool and so popular that the whole school district banned them.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

jokes posted:

There was also a shitload of kids going missing and 80s media for kids was almost entirely just direct advertisements, reactionary content to the Reagan repeal on advertisement for kids

Generally missing children are taken by an angry parent as revenge against the other parent. To get back on topic, my children enjoy the Pokémon games and are very well versed in stranger danger.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i am one year older than you. there was always some card trading poo poo to nerd out about. magic the gathering came out when i was in high school. when i was in junior high it was baseball cards. when i was in elementary school it was garbage patch kids, which were so cool and so popular that the whole school district banned them.

I think you are much younger than I am or maybe just confused. Magic The Gathering came out in 1993 and Garbage Pail Kids came out in 1985, when I was in high school.

By the time I was in High School I was pirating and cracking Commodore 64 games.

e: unless you are talking about Cabbage Patch Kids, which did come out when I was in elementary school, in the late 1970's.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 1, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just slammed through all of Max Payne 3 today. First time I had played it in a few years and it’s aged way better than a lot of shooters from that same era. I’m not sure the fact the major complaint about it, that it’s not a “Max Payne” story, is actually a bad thing. It uses Max and his story really well by dropping him and his history into a completely different genre and works really well with the “completely out of his element” thing he has going on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

:stonklol:

i grabbed bl3 on sale and fired it up splitscreen with my wife and the woman has the bloodlust in her

she doesn’t really play shooters (we played maybe an hour of BL1 like a decade ago) but like, dang, it is rare for me to be like “okay let’s call it a night and shut down” and for her to drag us on an entire extra subquest or three

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

:stonklol:

i grabbed bl3 on sale and fired it up splitscreen with my wife and the woman has the bloodlust in her

she doesn’t really play shooters (we played maybe an hour of BL1 like a decade ago) but like, dang, it is rare for me to be like “okay let’s call it a night and shut down” and for her to drag us on an entire extra subquest or three

my wife talks poo poo at stuff in diablo 3 and got incredibly angry at all 3 pikmin games but refused to put them down. it's the best

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i broke up w a girlfriend in week 6 of dating because in the 168 hours of week 5 she played civ 5 for 130 hours and i was afraid of poopsocking and other concomitant behaviors

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Not to bring it back to miniatures as like a "bitching about miniatures games" thing but I will say this for 40K. It's dumb, but even without going into weird sex or gore stuff, it's not nearly the worst.

https://store.wildwestexodus.com/wwx-root/82256-pride-of-the-nekomata-detachment

This is for a game centered around the aftermath of a scifi alternate history version of the american civil war that is very sympathetic to the south, and the indigenous faction has magic werewolf type poo poo. Makes me feel good about the state of video game writing

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2021

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i broke up w a girlfriend in week 6 of dating because in the 168 hours of week 5 she played civ 5 for 130 hours and i was afraid of poopsocking and other concomitant behaviors

Civ II would have been marriage material.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Peak pokemon was around 1999-2000 and right after pokemon go launched.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pokemon Go's highest active player base was several years after launch and Sword and Shield is the first pokemon game to sell more than Gold and Silver so its right now, we are in the age of pokemon

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Pokemon Go's highest active player base was several years after launch and Sword and Shield is the first pokemon game to sell more than Gold and Silver so its right now, we are in the age of pokemon

It's going to be different depending where you are but for me peak pokemon will always be the times where you heard about it on the news and radio and nintendo was running live shows in the mall and that kind of stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Flannelette posted:

It's going to be different depending where you are but for me peak pokemon will always be the times where you heard about it on the news and radio and nintendo was running live shows in the mall and that kind of stuff.

this era never ended in japan

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGoDmLMe3U
i'm sorry...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Even if it had a higher active player base later on, it wasn’t really a Thing like it was right after launch.

I think pokemon would benefit from having a hard mode, the battle system has a lot of cool stuff you never use because it’s a lot of one-hit KO’s. Like, why would I use a low-accuracy OHKO move like Horn Drill when I can just use one of my regular moves and one hit KO with 100 percent accuracy because I have a same type attack bonus plus a type advantage? Same result but this one has 95 percent accuracy instead of 35 percent, and I can use it 20 times instead of 5. Or why use something to decrease my opponent’s accuracy when I can take them out in one move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Fur20 posted:

smt is also oppressively edgy, persona is better about watching its manners and minimizing the chuuni cackling. the last smt game i played was devil survivor and holy poo poo it's like the entire cast was written by a very very angry fifteen year old
Yes, you are right about devil survivor but I really liked that game.

The more mainline games are a bit more mature in theme but the edge are still there.

I am also there for the modern day settings mixed in with the fantasy/sci-fi element of it.

I strongly recommend playing the persona game first too, because they are a bit more easy even if they are more anime then the mainline.