Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Before Solo came out, there were various articles that came out basically saying "Alden can't act, he needed lessons, Miller and Lord were trying to encourage him to improv on set like Ford did and he just couldn't do it," IIRC.

Yeah. It was horseshit. The dude is talented. I didn’t love Hail Caesar! Much but he was the standout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Huh, he seemed fine to me. On that note, had/has he been in anything else notable before or after Solo?

Hail Caesar is the one to watch. He's outstanding in that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The one-two punch of Hail Caesar and the Solo articles about Alden's acting are pretty amusing if you imagine the journalists writing those articles thought Hail Caesar was a documentary or confused Alden's role with his real life in some other way.

Like, he portrayed someone who couldn't act too convincingly.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Remembering almost nothing about the miller and lord version, I think that a funnier, more stylized film, or just something slightly outside of the house style could have at least resulted in a cult classic down the road. If not a hit or a technically competent film.

Speaking of house style, it's funny that disney got away with retelling the luke story three times (rey, jyn, han). They probably expected they could just crank those out on an assembly line like the origin films of all the avengers

e:

Robot Style posted:

I remember hearing that a Han origin movie was one of the things that Lucas had an outline, or at least ideas for, when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney. If it's anything like the original backstory he had for the character, it would have a lot different.

I sense that a young george lucas got caught selling exam answers to the class

George Lucas posted:

From the time Han was twelve to the time he was fifteen, he was in the Space Academy. That’s where he learned to be a starpilot and he was very, very good—only he was such a hustler that he got caught selling exam answers to the class.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 26, 2021

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Ehrenreich is fantastic in Coppola's movie Tetro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As has been said before, Solo is a waste of an admittedly decent cast and isn’t even that visually impressive either. Probably still a better movie than ROS though but that’s not saying much.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I enjoyed Solo. It's fun. There's 3-5 super cringe moments but overall the movie works. In my mind, it's the opposite side of the coin from Rogue One in terms of the feel that new Star Wars should have gone for. Of course it didn't need to exist as a whole.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Glottis posted:

I enjoyed Solo. It's fun. There's 3-5 super cringe moments but overall the movie works. In my mind, it's the opposite side of the coin from Rogue One in terms of the feel that new Star Wars should have gone for. Of course it didn't need to exist as a whole.

Neither did Rouge One to be fair but they’re both perfectly watchable movies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Idk, I feel it's unfair to rogue one to put it in the same boat as solo. They had some similar problems, but Solo kept loving up way harder.

IE the Droid slavery questions raised in rogue one were troubling if you thought about it...but Solo actively drew attention to the issue repeatedly while using it for cheap laughs

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 26, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Late to the party but I got a kick out of seeing McQuarries dagobah spider concept art in the puppet show

The show is a lot of fun but I'm surprised that people say it's "saving" the star wars

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
What's the alternative? Star Wars fans got what they've been frothing at the mouth towards Lucas for right? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I decided that it'd been long enough since I've watched through the Star Wars prequel and original trilogies, at least 15 years, that it'll feel fresh now. First ten minutes of Phantom Menace, and wow, those alien designs are so much more racist than I remember, what with the slit pupils. I wasn't aware of it at the time because I wasn't really familiar with Asian stereotypes and MadTV's "Average Asian" skit was my first exposure to them. I wonder if it's breath-holding that's the Jedi power or just immunity to the toxin in the gas that they flooded the room with itself. Lightsaber straight through three layers of blast doors, that's cool

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 28, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I wonder if george wanted to set up jedi breath holding powers so they could just swim to bubble town, but then someone said hey george maybe they should have some kind of james bond space scuba here

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Late to the party but I got a kick out of seeing McQuarries dagobah spider concept art in the puppet show

The show is a lot of fun but I'm surprised that people say it's "saving" the star wars

By the end of RoS and the end of Disney's current plans for films, the general consensus among people that give a poo poo about Star Wars is that Disney has no idea what it is doing with the films. People might debate which films if any are the good ones, but nobody believes there is any real vision or planning or oversight there. And that broadly Disney just turned poo poo out to make a buck, and they weren't even good at doing that. If that's all there were from Disney, Star Wars is basically dead to you. But wait, in the wings, what is this? A simple little space western/samurai deal with a healthy dose of fan service you can just enjoy, with high production values and at least an actual plan for what they are doing. And now there's all sorts of shows in the wings, and you know exactly what they'll be because you already saw their pilot episodes. You know what the Ahsoka show will be, you saw Ahsoka. You know what the Boba Fett episode will be, you had like 3 episodes with Boba Fett.

The Mandalorian is the difference between there being no Star Wars you are excited for and years and years of Star Wars you know you will enjoy, because you know exactly what is. Is that high art, is it challenging people? No, but that's not what makes a brand. What makes a brand is seeing it and going "It's <thing>! I like <thing>!". And then people get <thing> and are happy, and a faceless corporation makes billions of dollars. And everyone goes home happy.

:capitalism:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

galenanorth posted:

I decided that it'd been long enough since I've watched through the Star Wars prequel and original trilogies, at least 15 years, that it'll feel fresh now. First ten minutes of Phantom Menace, and wow, those alien designs are so much more racist than I remember, what with the slit pupils. I wasn't aware of it at the time because I wasn't really familiar with Asian stereotypes and MadTV's "Average Asian" skit was my first exposure to them. I wonder if it's breath-holding that's the Jedi power or just immunity to the toxin in the gas that they flooded the room with itself. Lightsaber straight through three layers of blast doors, that's cool

Nieb Numb isn't in the prequels tho, only OT + ST (and the stereotype is eyelids, not pupils)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

galenanorth posted:

First ten minutes of Phantom Menace, and wow, those alien designs are so much more racist than I remember, what with the slit pupils.
I feel like that's just an unfortunate combination of unrelated design steps.

Originally they were supposed to be spindly CG characters, with the implication that the battle droids were designed to resemble them just like other droids look like human beings.

But it turned out to be too expensive to add a bunch more CG characters, so the design had to be changed to an actor in a mask. Lucas chose one of the aliens from the Cantina, which already had the slit pupils.

He was then informed that the aliens already had a name and history in the Expanded Universe, so they were redesigned slightly into a new species.

They didn't know what the voices would be yet when they were filming, so Ben Burtt did a bunch of experiments during post production with different voices, including sports announcers. Ultimately, he went back to the same method he used during the Original Trilogy, and started looking at Earth languages that most Americans wouldn't be familiar with. Since they wanted to have the characters still speaking English rather than be subtitled, he hired Thai speakers to read the lines phonetically to get a foreign-sounding accent, and then got the English speaking actors to copy their speech patterns during dubbing... which wasn't really a great idea since everyone caught on that it was just someone doing a phony accent.
It's possible that the choice of the Thai accent was influenced by how the characters had evolved up to that point, but it would have been an unconscious decision. Lucas' intention was to draw comparisons to money-hungry Americans - many individuals of the species were named after Republicans.

As a side note, the species as a whole was originally going to be called the Shatnerians as a nod to William Shatner. I guess Lucas must have thought that would have been too obvious, so he changed them to "Nimoy"dians instead.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Never heard that story before and thanks for sharing that first concept art, I haven't seen that in years. Cool how the resemblance idea was recycled in AOTC where the rogers resemble the geonosians

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mulva posted:

People might debate which films if any are the good ones, but nobody believes there is any real vision or planning or oversight there. And that broadly Disney just turned poo poo out to make a buck, and they weren't even good at doing that.
What gets me the most is that Disney outright rejected the vision the series creator had for the sequel trilogy. Like literally saying "George Lucas, what do you know about Star Wars?"

I hope before the current Star Wars tv excitement dies down and Lucas literally dies, he and Favreau or Filoni can make a season of two of Lucas' discarded ST ideas.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
You know Lucas's sequel trilogy is about Rey and Finn equivalents looking for Luke Skywalker who dies in Episode VIII and the villains are a returning Darth Maul and his apparentice Darth Talon (Google Image Search to see why Disney didn't go for her) trying to seduce a Skywalker to the dark side again and would focus on midichlorians and how the Whils literally "drive" and mind controlled every character you have ever known, retroactively removing all of their agency, right?

17 years of non-stop prequel/Lucas bitching and suddenly "ah well they were good actually and his vision should be respected."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I wouldn’t call my praise of the prequels “sudden” it’s been consistent and enduring for over 20 years. Even this very thread has had staunch prequel defenders for at least 5 years at this point, before TFA.

Edit: also lol if having seen the finished product, you wouldn’t welcome *any* alternative to what we got with the sequels because it’s impossible that they could’ve made them any duller or less interesting.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 28, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Szmitten posted:

17 years of non-stop prequel/Lucas bitching and suddenly "ah well they were good actually and his vision should be respected."
You must be new here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jewmanji posted:

Edit: also lol if having seen the finished product, you wouldn’t welcome *any* alternative to what we got with the sequels because it’s impossible that they could’ve made them any duller or less interesting.

Yeah, gotta agree there. It took effort to gently caress up the sequels as badly as they did. If they took risks that didn't pay off it'd still be interesting to talk about, and possibly able to play off, but they ended up making an utter dead end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No one who likes scifi can be too quick to disregard a bad film, but the sequels are lukewarm.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Szmitten posted:

You know Lucas's sequel trilogy is about Rey and Finn equivalents looking for Luke Skywalker who dies in Episode VIII and the villains are a returning Darth Maul and his apparentice Darth Talon (Google Image Search to see why Disney didn't go for her) trying to seduce a Skywalker to the dark side again and would focus on midichlorians and how the Whils literally "drive" and mind controlled every character you have ever known, retroactively removing all of their agency, right?

Lucas bitching is more outside of this forum and people aping RLM (who did perfectly fine videos on why fans didn't *like* the prequels only for them to be taken by fans as definitive proof they were bad or something).

Before the new ones even came out, people started revisiting the prequels and turning around on them a bit, if others didn't already like them to varying degrees anyway. As I said earlier, the Clone Wars series probably caused the biggest turnaround due to giving people what they wanted to see in the prequels and could therefore take them on their own merits after.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Szmitten posted:

Sounds a lot better than the ST we got

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Darko posted:

As I said earlier, the Clone Wars series probably caused the biggest turnaround due to giving people what they wanted to see in the prequels and could therefore take them on their own merits after.

I wonder if RotS would have gotten a better reception had it come out later as "the epic conclusion to the Clone Wars series".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Szmitten posted:

Yes to all of that.

(although his plan for the Whils seems to be more exploring their relationship with Force-users and "getting involved" like conceiving Anakin's mother to give birth to him than actually, directly controlling characters)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

YaketySass posted:

I wonder if RotS would have gotten a better reception had it come out later as "the epic conclusion to the Clone Wars series".

It kind of did - the original wave of Clone Wars material (books, comics, games, the micro-series) was intended to tell the story in more or less realtime between Episodes II and III. Though yeah, that sort of ancillary material does kind of pale in comparison to a 7 season television series.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I recall the general narrative around RotS being 'Hey, this one's good'. It was mostly TPM and especially AotC that got vitriol.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Robot Style posted:

It kind of did - the original wave of Clone Wars material (books, comics, games, the micro-series) was intended to tell the story in more or less realtime between Episodes II and III. Though yeah, that sort of ancillary material does kind of pale in comparison to a 7 season television series.

I don't think the CGI cartoon was even in development when RotS came out or at least only in the earliest stages of pre-production. I remember when the CG toon' was first coming out a lot of turbo-nerds were mad that it essentially threw out the rather thorough and exhaustive multi-media portrayal that had been made around the movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rewatching RotS actually made me dislike it more - I used to think it was the good one but it's far from it and is stuffed to the gills with dumb poo poo. TPM held up though. And AoTC got even worse too. Amazing soundtracks though.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Robot Style posted:

He [Lucas] was then informed that the aliens already had a name and history in the Expanded Universe, so ....

Post-ROTJ Star Wars explained in one sentence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Rewatching RotS actually made me dislike it more - I used to think it was the good one but it's far from it and is stuffed to the gills with dumb poo poo. TPM held up though. And AoTC got even worse too. Amazing soundtracks though.

It’s the good one because of palpatine

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
ROTS is pretty great, but I still find that entire opening to be a bit long (until Anakin lands the ship on Coruscant). And most of the deleted scenes came from that portion of the movie too. Both ROTJ and ROTS suffer from a somewhat bloated first act.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jewmanji posted:

ROTS is pretty great, but I still find that entire opening to be a bit long (until Anakin lands the ship on Coruscant). And most of the deleted scenes came from that portion of the movie too. Both ROTJ and ROTS suffer from a somewhat bloated first act.

Blame the people who thought AotC didn't have enough of Anakin and Obi-Wan doing banter and kicking rear end together.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

By all accounts, Lucas is one of those people. The reason the opening sequence is so long (and had to be trimmed so much) is specifically because he needed to have lighthearted space adventures with Anakin and Obi-Wan to contrast the darker tone later on and establish what exactly is being lost when they become enemies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not even sure if Clone Wars aired on free to air TV here in Australia (and cable isn't that popular). The Clone Wars material was pretty inaccessible. I do recall the Clone Wars movie coming out but it was not really on anyone's rader. It got a lot of negative press due to the wooden art style.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
TPM by far has the coolest ideas and maybe the 2 coolest scenes in all the movies, but it is the WORST to sit through all the way.

Probably the only SW movie I dread rewatching aside from TROS.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The prequels were both very popular and well-reviewed in their time. And they’ve certainly become even more popular - in part, because of their reputation as the 21st-century equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space.

It’s easy to forget that prequel hate began with minor griping. “Phantom edits” designed to simply remove Jar-Jar and Anakin, or make them more ‘badass’, were a tacit admission that the films were fundamentally good.

Those edits were an outgrowth of the now-forgotten controversy over the Special Editions - which were likewise extremely popular, despite minor outcry over CGI Jabba. The proliferation of various bootleg fan restorations has virtually eliminated those complaints, so that things like “Maclunkey” now earn us a hearty lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Anakin's mother's virgin birth was already a bad idea, but it's worse in the context of the defeat of the Empire not even sticking for very long