Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

Should I be selling things like Bug Wings, Dwarf Teeth, etc. or is there something to save them for?

I'm going into this game blind but from previous games and my experience with Square Enix games there might be an alchemist job that uses them to mix special items. The only thing I've been selling is old weaponry.

I'm taking this game slow and just enjoying it. I've probably spent more time chopping down grass and doing missions than I have been progressing the story; I've just gotten the bard asterick. I'm looking at the bard's class abilities and I'm not seeing anything great although I'm terrible at gauging support classes and I'm probably missing something that it's got going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought this shiny kiwi enemy that runs away would be worth a ton of exp or jp, but I finally killed one by having everyone in my party sub black mage and being fast enough to finally get enough spells off, and it was only worth like 950 xp and nothing special on jp!

I do finally have everyone mastered freelancer, and up to Thundara with black mage, finally training other classes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh..Monster abilities from beastmaster are one time use? Laaame.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Harrow posted:

Should I be selling things like Bug Wings, Dwarf Teeth, etc. or is there something to save them for?

Anything with "Collectable resource" in the item description is vendor trash. The Salvemaker job uses "materials" for compounding, which have their own unique Herb icon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Anything with "Collectable resource" in the item description is vendor trash. The Salvemaker job uses "materials" for compounding, which have their own unique Herb icon.

And here I was holding onto these because I thought a crafting system was gonna come up. Between the weight system and Forage being sorta bonkers shopping was already a low priority.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

One of the last Berserker kills is a group wide attack for HP and it mulches enemies. If you are fine healing after random encounters it really seems like the way to go, especially once you get the ability to dodge physical counters.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I wish this game had BD1’s soundtrack. Otherwise it’s been great.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Am I just missing something the "will the enemy attack you?" stat? I have Seth as a white mage with white mage appropriate gear and Gloria as a vanguard with vanguard appropriate gear and Seth gets attacked three or four times as often as Gloria. Even when I use abilities that are supposed to make enemies attack Gloria more often, Seth is still my unwilling tank. Elvis as a black mage is also getting attacked more often than Gloria in this scenario, just not at quite the same extreme as Seth.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ornamented Death posted:

Am I just missing something the "will the enemy attack you?" stat? I have Seth as a white mage with white mage appropriate gear and Gloria as a vanguard with vanguard appropriate gear and Seth gets attacked three or four times as often as Gloria. Even when I use abilities that are supposed to make enemies attack Gloria more often, Seth is still my unwilling tank. Elvis as a black mage is also getting attacked more often than Gloria in this scenario, just not at quite the same extreme as Seth.

Do you have some "enemies more likely to target you" armor stuff on seth?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Do you have some "enemies more likely to target you" armor stuff on seth?

I do, but his overall score for that is 1/3 Gloria's (40-ish versus 120+).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

In the end it's still random chance who gets attacked, even if it's weighted by the aggro stat, so you could just have had a bad string of rolls. Or it might just be confirmation bias.

The values in my party are something like 100/80/68/50 and it seems to me to be about right WRT how much each character gets attacked.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not that a White Mage tank is a bad thing necessarily. They can wear heavy armor and have quite a few ways to help mitigate and regen health already baked into their toolkit on top of the healing they can do already :v:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm also seeing Seth targeted way more often than seems correct. His "likely to be targeted" stat is 23 vs. (in my case) Adelle's 56, but I find Seth is still taking way more shots, even with Adelle laying on Aggravate (which I'm finding increasingly worthless)

I ended up just making Seth a Vanguard for now lol

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Shame Boy posted:

Not that a White Mage tank is a bad thing necessarily. They can wear heavy armor and have quite a few ways to help mitigate and regen health already baked into their toolkit on top of the healing they can do already :v:

Fair, but it's not just straight damaging attacks, it's also status spells. As an example, in the fight with the Gambler, Orpheus ONLY targeted Seth with his sleep spell. And I'm not talking about as a counter, he would do stupid poo poo like Brave three times and use two or three of them to target Seth with that ability.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The White Mage tips in the tutorial section even mention using the job as a tank.

I really like those little tips, they clued me into the fact that I should put physical damage accesories on my monk for MAX DEEPS since their passive also boosts equipment. It weirds me out you have to go in and look them up manually in the Travellouge instead of them popping up when you get the asterisk.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

yeah the one for beastmaster mentions that spears are a good weapon for magically based classes to use and i don't really know why that would be the case?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

yeah the one for beastmaster mentions that spears are a good weapon for magically based classes to use and i don't really know why that would be the case?

What is a spear but a pointy staff?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got the bad guy at the end of the prologue down to like 90,000 hp with poison. He had something that guy his hp back up though. I really do winner if beating him would actually be possible if you did something wild like grinding all the way up. Guess we can find out on new game+!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Shame Boy posted:

Spears are like daggers, they have higher Magical Attack than other types of weapons when the specific weapon is a hybrid weapon.

Like all Mythril weapons are hybrid (add both PA and MA), but for example the Mythril Axe has 43 PA and 25 MA, while the Mythril Spear has 41 PA and 42 MA.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Falling in love with this game over the last two days. Always loved job focused RPGs and also my progress stalled the second I unlocked the card game.

I do wish the performance was a little better, frame rates are pretty rough and loading times make things a little cumbersome.

I loved all of Bravely Default (all of it) so I hope the story gets suitably insane.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Gotta say I really like what they did with equipment in this game. Someone earlier was complaining about the weight system, that's insane. I think it's loving genius. It forces tradeoffs in equipping your characters. This game actually makes you think about your loadout, which after so many JRPGs where equipment is just a linear path of progressively higher attack and defense values is refreshing. You have Actual Decisions to make!

You don't just upgrade everything immediately. Older items retain some usefulness because of the lower weight. You might decide to use a slightly outdated armor so you have enough weight capacity to use that big heavy new sword. Or vice versa. Do you use a shield? It makes you sturdier yes, but it also makes it more likely that you'll get hit and the extra weight makes you slower. Do you want a really fast, lightly armored white mage that can heal more often or a slower one that can tank some hits? Both seem viable to me and that's incredible.

Every JRPG has some boring series of Fire/Water/Earth/Wind Ring accessories and all they do is resist an element. Ditto for status effect resist accessories. You only use them if a particular boss spams that element/status. In this game, all of those give extra stats and they are flavored differently, the Fire resist ring gives you physical attack, the wind resist ring makes you faster, the blind resist gives you higher accuracy, etc. It's a small detail but it's a really clever way to take boring items and make then interesting.

Even regular stat accessories give such hefty stat boosts that it actually makes a significant difference which accessories you choose to equip on a character. I found an accessory that gives a ton of speed and has a -6 weight value. Which means you can use it on your tank to fit in all the huge armor, or just use it as an even bigger speed boost with the extra spare weight on top of the +speed.

There's so much space to customize and tweak your characters off a fairly simple system. I really hope this starts a trend, at the very least with the accessories part. Please no more boring Fire Resist Rings.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Caidin posted:

And here I was holding onto these because I thought a crafting system was gonna come up. Between the weight system and Forage being sorta bonkers shopping was already a low priority.

I was holding on to them till I looked up one in my inventory and they were all grouped under 'sellable items' instead of 'collectible resourse'.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Sorry if this has already been asked, but which difficulty corresponds to the difficulty of the demo? Is it hard?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Is it just me or the equipment optimization feature........not good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Is it just me or the equipment optimization feature........not good

I'm not aware of there ever having been a game where "optimize equipment" is a good button to press.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have a good strategy for taking down the treaty or the nightmare field bosses?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Black Mage has been mediocre for me as I near the end of Chapter 1 but Monk's abilities do great damage if you level it up. Firebird, Qipong Wave, and the heeldrop move all do great damage in exchange for health

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there any way to see how likely poison is to land, or do you just have to spray and pray?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PageMaster posted:

If you're the sort of person that likes to max out freelancer right away, Body Blow does nearly 1k around level 12 for the reasonable cost of 1 bp.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
man bard is an extremely good class. bard class special ability into vanguard class special ability into quad invigorate into inner alchemy x2 flames of war x2 into firaga firaga firaga firaga into doublecut 4x was 6k damage -> 3k damage -> 4k damage -> 5k damage.

that loving thief boss in chapter 2 was my shortest boss fight so far with that, drat.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 1, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just learned that bosses can run out of MP :pram:

the last few fights have been so full of immunities that I've got into the fights with very few ways of actually dealing any damage, which is kinda frustrating. I lost the first one and re-did my party (first game over at ~30 hours, not too bad!) but the second one I had a very resilient party...... but also very little that damaged the boss. So I just kinda.. healed and poked and healed and poked for what felt like hours. Eventually the boss couldn't attack me anymore because it was out of MP.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers?

Caidin posted:

If you're the sort of person that likes to max out freelancer right away, Body Blow does nearly 1k around level 12 for the reasonable cost of 1 bp.

It's a really good skill. It doesn't seem to proc any enemy counters, so it's great for stuff like the Thief boss. It also seems to do consistent damage even on enemies with high defense. There's a fight in Wiswald that you're supposed to lose. A big guy in armor that looks like a castle. In the middle of the fight it suddenly triggered a cutscene, where the party complains about not being able to hit him and runs away. I was having no problem whatsoever. I would have handily beaten him if the game had let me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Weight is a pretty bad system as things stand.

Choices are only meaningful in the context of being able to correctly weigh costs and benefits against each other. Weight would be interesting if it didn't also invisibly impact speed. As things stand if you put in a character at max weight you've also reduced their speed by an amount that can't be assessed in any meaningful way.

Given how powerful speed is, since enough literally gives you extra turns, it becomes near impossible to actually assess whether this heavy armour you're putting on increases your survivability or actually reduces it because you lose action economy.

At the moment, unless you're running the Bodyslam heavyweight build you basically want as little weight as possible whilst maximising your attacking stats and speed. Unless a boss oneshots your characters, or two shots with AoE, you'll just win by beating them on action economy and healing throughput.

I don't know if it's controversial but I'd like to go to a new town and find new items to equip or find a cool drop in a dungeon and use it rather than junking it because the weight is off.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 1, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Boy the boss of Chapter 3 is some grade A bullshit. You want to debuff him, well gently caress you he counters with an elemental attack of random elements that might one shot squishier characters. You get him to about 1/3 HP, well he’s going to start using an AOE that does a flat 2000 damage or 1300 if you default, he will use this a counter to any attack or in a huge chain of Brave attacks which he will get plenty of since he gets BP as a counter to any ability you use. I feel like they want me to beat this an a very specific way, which seems antithetical to a job game. The amount of ways they seem to be giving bosses to punish or negate any advantage you get from using the Brave system seems real dumb.

Edit:Complaining works! I beat him the next try.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 1, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Beastmaster's Off the Chain ability is sick as hell. I fought that boss immune to physical attacks that one reviewer complained about and was able to nearly two-shot it with that skill, while underleveled for the area and on hard mode, even.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The only effect having a side class has is being able to use their abilities, right? If there’s no Stat bonus then Freelancer seems like a great one for the first bit of the game just because body slam out damages everything else without a HP or map cost.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's a wiki-wiki and should I bother trying to kill them when they pop up in battle or are they like a metal slime and I can't do anything until later in the game?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PageMaster posted:

What's a wiki-wiki and should I bother trying to kill them when they pop up in battle or are they like a metal slime and I can't do anything until later in the game?
They are a metal slime but... not like an amazing one? Dump a special attack and a full 4x burst of spells on them if you can in the middle of a high stack fight but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I think I've found a great wombo combo at the moment in chapter 2 or wherever Wiswald is. Okay so at level 12 Thief you can't build brave points by defaulting more with the second speciality but all the moves that cost BP now MP instead. Leverage this with Body Blow from freelancer while stacking speed as high as possible since BB delays the turn of whomever your hitting, letting you do a full party spam of this to knock a bosses turn so far back that you can recover from -3 bp and drink an ether before they ever get to move. Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

When it comes to JP grinding, assuming I didn't get JP Up/Up and Up in the prologue, when's another good opportunity to grind out those Freelancer levels on everyone? I assume I'm going to want those abilities sooner than later.

I did it immediately after the prologue, using the beach method I mentioned earlier since a bunch of level 9-10 freelancers have zero issue smashing 8-10 of those fights in a row.

A Sometimes Food posted:

The load times are a pain but this is really growing on me. I kinda love the visuals now.

The evil Prime Minister changing into that flashy monk outfit made me loving lose it, I was totally expecting like time mage or something and then he goes into full glammed up kung fu. Goddamn what.

Yeah this was great and I immediately mastered the joib on Adelle and holy poo poo pressure point loving destroys things as does the 99mp super move.

^burtle posted:

Got a Large XP Orb from the Ship Mode and now I have a level 21 character and 3 12s.

I just came back from a 12hr exploration and one of my finds was 2 of them :stare:

My team is currently level 12 and I'm really not sure if I want to make 2 people huge (or 1 person super huge). The tool tip for exploration was not loving around when it mentioned "this is a good way to level fast if you don't play often." Each large orb is 10,000 experience. :stare:

Mezzanon posted:

How does everyone get such high battle chains?

If you're a high level, enemies run from you in the opposite direction you approach them from. You can corral a shitload of enemies by doing this.

You can pop one of those bait items to further boost the battle chain rate but I think it caps at 10?

Ojetor posted:

Even regular stat accessories give such hefty stat boosts that it actually makes a significant difference which accessories you choose to equip on a character. I found an accessory that gives a ton of speed and has a -6 weight value. Which means you can use it on your tank to fit in all the huge armor, or just use it as an even bigger speed boost with the extra spare weight on top of the +speed.

I think the buyable wind pendants are -weight in addition to +1 wind resist. If I have some super powerful setup that's too heavy to use you can be drat sure I'll be wearing one or two of those to make it work.