Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there any way via mods or whatever to play halo 1 and 2 co-op with 3 people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spartan Ops runs like poo poo huh

These graphics options don't appear to actually do anything either

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Spartan Ops is really bad. I don't know what they were thinking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Eggheads :argh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

General Battuta posted:

"how can we make 5 minutes of content stretch out to 5 hours of gameplay?"

the writing is the most dire poo poo, too

I didn't have any performance issues with it though, it ran just as well as anything else in H4 MCC for me.

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 1, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Just a few more stragglers Crimson"
*four wraiths, ten hunters drop directly on top of you*

They really took advantage of you having infinite lives in this lol

Performance wise though not sure what's up, the framerate's atrocious. Rest of MCC is fine and 4 is fine in multi, it's just in Ops

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I'm curious to hear what people think about Halo 5's campaign with the dust well and truly settled.

Bits that really didn't work are obviously Warden Eternal, weird 'walk around town and talk to people' sections, a lack of large-scale battles (I'm not sure who thought shrinking the scale down from H4 even further was the way to go) and splitting the narrative between two characters for no clear advantage.

However I though the plot twist that the Reclaimers are meant to be the AIs was genuinely good, foreshadowed well by all the action with that already degenerating AI. It make a lot more sense than humanity themselves being the heirs to the galaxy (because gently caress, what's so special about humans next to the other races we encounter?').

Any thoughts? I was surprised to see that everything from Infinite so far appears to completely abandon this storyline as it was one of the only things that worked for me, but obviously Infinite is still a massively unknown quantity.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Spartan Ops gameplay is some serious cheap poo poo of repeating basic levels and dropped-in AI. Like a baby's first level editor map over and over.

But then you go on youtube and see that they paid for a whole bunch of cutscenes and voice acting and its just... What was their resource budget?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spent entirely on Blur studio cutscenes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

I still love that it was called "Season One"

Its like when a really lovely movie has an obvious sequel-bait cliffhanger ending. Like, aww, aren't you cute. You thought you were getting a sequel. Bwahahaha.

You also have to love how Firefight was basically perfected in ODST and Reach and clearly that's what people wanted and they said, "Rather than just crank out another Firefight that people would like, lets turn it into a narrative driven post-campaign but still put the same budget into it, people will love that"

If they wanted to crank out easy co-op content that re-used campaign missions, just doing Firefight would have been so drat easy and everybody would have been happy.
But some terrible manager thought they could accomplish more with less.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 1, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
From gossip I've heard the Spartan Ops team won the internal fight with the Campaign team over who was more successful (somehow) and ended up in charge of Halo 5. :negative:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I still love that it was called "Season One"

Its like when a really lovely movie has an obvious sequel-bait cliffhanger ending. Like, aww, aren't you cute. You thought you were getting a sequel. Bwahahaha.

You also have to love how Firefight was basically perfected in ODST and Reach and clearly that's what people wanted and they said, "Rather than just crank out another Firefight that people would like, lets turn it into a narrative driven post-campaign but still put the same budget into it, people will love that"

If they wanted to crank out easy co-op content that re-used campaign missions, just doing Firefight would have been so drat easy and everybody would have been happy.
But some terrible manager thought they could accomplish more with less.

They were clearly influenced by Call of Duty's "Spec Ops" mode but..yea.

And even the Call of Duty developers stopped introducing Spec Ops after MW3 because the community just wanted standard MP and Zombies and, well, just give the people what they want? :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

From gossip I've heard the Spartan Ops team won the internal fight with the Campaign team over who was more successful (somehow) and ended up in charge of Halo 5. :negative:

Ha, haha, hahahahaha.

That said, while I am very critical of Halo 4 for being completely poo poo, I can also understand it somewhat. You're a new studio, you think nobody wants the old Halo, you want to try a new spin.

What blows my mind is after 4 is a complete loving disaster, they should have gone into complete damage control. At that point 343i should have buckled down and said "okay we don't know poo poo, lets just go back to what worked in Halo 3" and put out a safe game. I can't fathom who had the arrogance to double down and give us hitler-cortana.

I mean, I guess when it comes to multiplayer they did reverse direction and give us what we wanted, but campaign, Jesus christ.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

4 had a good campaign, just bad everything else.

Halo 3 wasn’t that great outside of multiplayer so in that sense 5 was a great tribute to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

4's campaign starts real strong but after the first 3 levels its extremely boring and bland, and the story and villain and supporting characters are all bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chief reuniting with the UNSC has all the fanfare of a guy coming through through door flanked by brand new Spartans and all he can say is "hey how's it going man?"

I still like Lasky but that's mostly because he's good in the Spartan Ops cutscenes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I still have no idea if the Didact was from a book or something (other than the Halo 3 terminals), it like that guy has no introduction in the game. I swear he never says his name in the cutscene where he's introduced but as soon as it's finished everyone is saying "We've got to stop the Didact!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

General Battuta posted:

lmao if true. It also begs the question - how? I will absolutely mock most of H4's campaign but there's no question it's far and away infinitely superior to Spartan Ops.

also I remember one of those intro Ops cutscenes was meant to be super COOL and BADASS as the infinity plows through a capital ship and then launches a bunch of frigates as if they were fighters, sure, okay... except all I'm thinking is "now there's like 10 gigantic frigate-size holes in your ship, that's not the UNSC's biggest single weakpoint ever created, wtf?"

Veotax posted:

I still have no idea if the Didact was from a book or something (other than the Halo 3 terminals), it like that guy has no introduction in the game. I swear he never says his name in the cutscene where he's introduced but as soon as it's finished everyone is saying "We've got to stop the Didact!"

everything involving didact in 4 was a massive failure on every level, so I guess they failed at introducing him properly while we're at it

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Veotax posted:

Halo 4 really, really wanted you to read the books so you could understand the LORE and enjoy the game more.

The problem is Halo lore is garbage and the less of it there is, the better. Bungie understood this with Halo 1-3. There was just enough in the games to make it interesting, but you didn't need to know more and you most certainly didn't need to read any of the books except, maybe, Fall of Reach.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Veotax posted:

Yeah he's in books and comics, and whoever wrote things seemed to think every halo fan had read all the books and comics.

That's a pretty important franchise lesson, whatever the primary media of your work is, you can have tangential works in the canon in other media but if the story of a new work in the primary media requires knowing about it, you need to re-introduce it.

Like if star wars suddenly depended upon everybody having played some videogame from the 2000s to know what was going on, wouldn't work.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 4 really, really wanted you to read the books so you could understand the LORE and enjoy the game more.

The problem is Halo lore is garbage and the less of it there is, the better. Bungie understood this with Halo 1-3. There was just enough in the games to make it interesting, but you didn't need to know more and you most certainly didn't need to read any of the books except, maybe, Fall of Reach.

Also if anything the general mystery is better than any single possible written answer could be.

Its similar to how monsters in horror tend to be scarier the less of them you see. The more you know what it is, the more you know its limitations.

Destiny has been playing real coy with its ~darkness~ for years at this point because they know if they explain it, it'll just be lame. So you just keep implying things, that works out better. Actually showing the forerunners is like the worst possible move they could have made. The whole series should have been finding artifacts of their civilization and wondering just what the gently caress they were like and what all they got up to, with endless possibilities. But the books and comics have nailed it all down and its lame.

See: The ending to LOST

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm a believer that Halo has a really good expanded universe and that the stuff 343i has allowed in there has been pretty good. Halo 5 isn't bad because of the EU - it's bad because it abandons all the themes from Halo 4 because they were terrified about the backlash from the fanbase after the Halo 4 SP.

Didact was introduced in the novels but you don't have to read any of them to know exactly what he happening in Halo 4 so I don't get that criticism. I think Halo 4 is a pretty simple character story about Chief and Cortana.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I’ve explained the Darkness a ton of times in my Destiny writing and I like to think the explanation is both good and interesting. We haven’t been coy.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 4 really, really wanted you to read the books so you could understand the LORE and enjoy the game

It didn’t, though. The Didact in the game has very little to do with the character(s) in the books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

I'm a believer that Halo has a really good expanded universe and that the stuff 343i has allowed in there has been pretty good. Halo 5 isn't bad because of the EU - it's bad because it abandons all the themes from Halo 4 because they were terrified about the backlash from the fanbase after the Halo 4 SP.

Didact was introduced in the novels but you don't have to read any of them to know exactly what he happening in Halo 4 so I don't get that criticism. I think Halo 4 is a pretty simple character story about Chief and Cortana.

:yeah:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo's expanded universe is inscrutable trash and the only way the brand will ever be relevant again is after a hard reboot

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Spartan Ops is best played in co-op; it's the most fun way to see the glorious Red Team (best said in the voice of Sarge from Red vs. Blue) do everything and save the day because the writers really wanted everybody to be horny on main for Crimson Squad. It wore thin a few episodes in, and how many were there in total? Ten? Sometimes less is more, guys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grimthwacker posted:

Spartan Ops is best played in co-op; it's the most fun way to see the glorious Red Team (best said in the voice of Sarge from Red vs. Blue) do everything and save the day because the writers really wanted everybody to be horny on main for Crimson Squad. It wore thin a few episodes in, and how many were there in total? Ten? Sometimes less is more, guys.

There's one mission in where you have to hole up for a while while Fireteam Shadow blows up a Covenant Cruiser. You know, that thing it takes you a few missions and ingame hours to coordinate getting onto then destroying in Reach? Anyway they do it start to finish in like eight minutes lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apparently you can fall off the Ring in Halo Infinite. How tiny is the ring for that to be the case.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently you can fall off the Ring in Halo Infinite. How tiny is the ring for that to be the case.

lol

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Arcsquad12 posted:

This ring is supposed to be much larger than the OG Halos, right? It'd be neat to see some of the infrastructure mentioned in their inspirational and comparatively "hard-sci-fi" Niven Ringworlds, like the seafloor muck being piped to the atmosphere-retaining walls, creating mountains and preventing all the topsoil of the ecosystem from inevitably eroding to the lowest point.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Installation 07 is the same size as the others. It used to be bigger, since it was one of the original 12 Halos, but then it was damaged, and later refit to bring it in line with the new, smaller standard.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Checking in several months later. Did the crashes in The Great Journey in 2 ever get fixed? Our playthrough stalled there back in December and we just kind of... forgot to try again. Schedules not aligning or we'd try it ourselves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SkyeAuroline posted:

Checking in several months later. Did the crashes in The Great Journey in 2 ever get fixed? Our playthrough stalled there back in December and we just kind of... forgot to try again. Schedules not aligning or we'd try it ourselves.

They haven't fixed anything big recently afaik; I still can't play Halo 1 coop again :(

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

RBA Starblade posted:

They haven't fixed anything big recently afaik; I still can't play Halo 1 coop again :(

Shame. Don't want to move on to 3 without finishing 2. Then again, partner didn't seem to be enjoying it much, so maybe for the better. (I played everything before 4 as they came out, so not a new experience for me.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait why would this imply the ring is tiny?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Wait why would this imply the ring is tiny?

It has an atmosphere and uses centripetal force plus whatever Forerunner magic to give it gravity. Even if it's smaller than a planet it's a gigantic construct that is 200 miles wide and 6200 miles in diameter. How exactly are you going to fall off it unless the open world is condensing it's size by a lot while implying you can explore the entire ring.

I'm only partially joking. Falling off the Ring is funny but I am being a pedant about video games screwing with the scale for gameplay purposes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the idea of being able to climb up a ten mile tall piece of sheer architecture then, hours of effort later, leaping off and hitting a kill box one second into the fall

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the idea of being able to climb up a ten mile tall piece of sheer architecture then, hours of effort later, leaping off and hitting a kill box one second into the fall

Respawning right at the bottom to start all over again.
One must imagine Sisyphus power-armored.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It has an atmosphere and uses centripetal force plus whatever Forerunner magic to give it gravity. Even if it's smaller than a planet it's a gigantic construct that is 200 miles wide and 6200 miles in diameter. How exactly are you going to fall off it unless the open world is condensing it's size by a lot while implying you can explore the entire ring.

There are holes in the ring, we've known that since the announce trailer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

There are holes in the ring, we've known that since the announce trailer.

People really need to stop shooting holes into space colonies / guns pointed at the head of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/MintBlitz/status/1376900772525453327?s=20