Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Lookit y'all acting like a few of those tags wouldn't be super helpful on these forums, or in this here thread.

If Lottery of Babylon doesn't need tags, nobody does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Hellblazer187 posted:

lmao this has to be a joke.

:airquote: /j /lh :airquote:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/tacticalyuppie/status/1365740512259559433

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:hmmyes:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Haha I gave that Taliban guy some poo poo the other day because of that tweet and he's blocked me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God, Oberlin has been making GBS threads the bed really loving hard over the last five years (loving over unions, anti-semitism and racism, closing student co-ops) but this is just beautifully stupid.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/TribalRage/status/1366400894061797377?s=20

This is a promoted Tweet. Elon's not gonna gently caress you, my guy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I DEMAND A SEAT ON ELON'S BIG BRAIN gently caress YACHT!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Elon's going to prison, not Mars. He's been colluding with loving coke cartels, that's too big a scandal for just a rich nerd to survive unscathed I think.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Biplane posted:

Elon's going to prison, not Mars. He's been colluding with loving coke cartels, that's too big a scandal for just a rich nerd to survive unscathed I think.
The literal richest person in the world? He could murder someone on live TV and not go to prison.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Hellblazer187 posted:

lmao this has to be a joke.

from what I remember, most of the "liberal blue checks" I saw were for Warren/Kamala/Pete. Doesn't mean they wouldn't get behind Biden, just that he wasn't their like, first through third choice. Everyone was like "ugh not Biden, please" and then they got into their snake/rat emoji wars as Warren and Pete were floundering.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The literal richest person in the world? He could murder someone on live TV and not go to prison.

Well yeah I guess, but drug crime is like the one thing that everybody is supposed to hate. I'm under no illusions that politicians aren't coked up to their eyeballs, but to the huddled masses, conspiring with drug traffickers to ship probably tons and tons of cocaine into the US is a big no-no. gently caress me, as I'm typing this I realise that you, Tiggum, are most likely right on this. Mods?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Biplane posted:

Well yeah I guess, but drug crime is like the one thing that everybody is supposed to hate. I'm under no illusions that politicians aren't coked up to their eyeballs, but to the huddled masses, conspiring with drug traffickers to ship probably tons and tons of cocaine into the US is a big no-no. gently caress me, as I'm typing this I realise that you, Tiggum, are most likely right on this. Mods?

You don't think banks are colluding with drug cartels constantly? The elite only care about drug crimes when they're a tool to opress the poor, especially BIPoc poor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

U.S. banks handled trillions of dollars in "suspicious" transactions, report says

quote:

A congressional investigation into the 2016 U.S. presidential election has unearthed evidence that major banks processed $2 trillion in transactions despite suspecting they were connected to illegal activity.

So-called suspicious activity reports, filed by banks with government regulators, indicate the banks were concerned the transactions would help suspected terrorists, drug dealers, corrupt foreign officials and other bad actors move trillions of dollars around the world, as well as perpetuate investment frauds. The private reports, which covered 1999 through 2017, were obtained by BuzzFeed News and shared with the nonprofit International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

The two organizations published their investigations into the documents over the weekend, but did not publish the complete reports. Both also declined to make public most of the information contained in the reports, including the customers who the banks suspected of illegal activity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lol if you think there are laws that apply to the richest people on earth

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I recognize my idiocy and will leave the post up as a testament to my sad, pathetic naivety.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

If they can tie his fabulous wealth into drug crimes activity then america's civil forfeiture laws provide a big incentive to go after him. They have a precedent of stealing your poo poo and making you prove it wasn't crime related to get it back, you don't even have to be convicted of anything.

"Known illegal drug user" becomes "known drug kingpin" pretty easily.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they can tie his fabulous wealth into drug crimes activity then america's civil forfeiture laws provide a big incentive to go after him. They have a precedent of stealing your poo poo and making you prove it wasn't crime related to get it back, you don't even have to be convicted of anything.

"Known illegal drug user" becomes "known drug kingpin" pretty easily.

Yeah, but again, they only do that to poor people and minorities.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Biplane posted:

I keep hearing about this but see nothing newer than allegations made 3 or 4 years ago. Someone want to fill us dumb dumbs in?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I keep hearing about this but see nothing newer than allegations made 3 or 4 years ago. Someone want to fill us dumb dumbs in?

Elon is working with drug cartels to gently caress over third world nations and destabilize their workers/governments so he can extract lithium or whatever from their land to build his full-sized exploding RC cars.

Nothing will happen because he's rich.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Pththya-lyi posted:

https://twitter.com/TribalRage/status/1366400894061797377?s=20

This is a promoted Tweet. Elon's not gonna gently caress you, my guy.

You don't know that, Elon Musk fucks lots of people!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Scratch Monkey posted:

His name came up in connection with Emma Coronel Aispuro, El Chapo’s wife, in recent court documents.

Edit to add: my recollection was that it was very tangential, like “FBI sources say that Coronel has been in contact with Musk,” but people will run with whatever.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Mar 1, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

His name came up in connection with Emma Coronel Aispuro, El Chapo’s wife, in recent court documents.

Edit to add: my recollection was that it was very tangential, like “FBI sources say that Coronel has been in contact with Musk,” but people will run with whatever.

There was an actual SEC complaint by a whistleblower who said he was directly involved in smuggling cocaine my guy, lmao.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Captain Monkey posted:

There was an actual SEC complaint by a whistleblower who said he was directly involved in smuggling cocaine my guy, lmao.

Cause the SEC is famous for actual punishment, and we always listen to whistle-blowers and don't name and shame them immediately when it involves someone rich and powerful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The SEC takes a while to come around to actual enforcement but if you piss them off enough it's not going to end well for you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There was a post in the pyf tweet thread? Maybe? About Musk and the cartel. I of course don't have the link because I am a moron, and didn't save it. But there were a lot of documents

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Betazoid posted:

Idiots on Social Media: Americans can have a bit of fascism, as a treat

IOSM: Americans can have little a fascism, as a treat. <:mad:>

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I didn’t see that! Do you have a link? Because wow. I was familiar with this but not that.

Edit to add: Googling “Elon Musk” + cocaine is not bringing me anything helpful. :(

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Mar 1, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

I didn’t see that! Do you have a link? Because wow. I was familiar with this but not that.

Edit to add: Googling “Elon Musk” + cocaine is not bringing me anything helpful. :(

https://www.valuewalk.com/2018/08/sec-complaint-tesla-drugs-theft/

I admit I'm not that up on it, I'm just tangentially aware of the fact that it exists. I was just rolling my eyes at you characterizing it as people making poo poo up.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.valuewalk.com/2018/08/sec-complaint-tesla-drugs-theft/

I admit I'm not that up on it, I'm just tangentially aware of the fact that it exists. I was just rolling my eyes at you characterizing it as people making poo poo up.

I wasn’t characterizing it as people making poo poo up, though? If you look at what I linked, I think my characterization of what’s in those court documents as tangential is accurate.

I believe that Musk is capable of any crime imaginable, but the question was about what’s come up recently, which is the connection to the recently arrested Coronel.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/passthebeano/status/1196452219375112192?lang=en

Elon Musk + El Chapo gets what you want

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AlbieQuirky posted:

I wasn’t characterizing it as people making poo poo up, though? If you look at what I linked, I think my characterization of what’s in those court documents as tangential is accurate.

I believe that Musk is capable of any crime imaginable, but the question was about what’s come up recently, which is the connection to the recently arrested Coronel.

You know "Coronel" is her middle name and not her rank, right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/knownothingtv/status/1366450098880790531?s=21

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

from what I remember, most of the "liberal blue checks" I saw were for Warren/Kamala/Pete. Doesn't mean they wouldn't get behind Biden, just that he wasn't their like, first through third choice. Everyone was like "ugh not Biden, please" and then they got into their snake/rat emoji wars as Warren and Pete were floundering.

No, I'm not disputing the timeline. Biden getting the nomination should have been obvious. All the other centrists had no traction among us regular plebe voters, because they were all manufactured empty suits or boring nerds. Regular people either liked Bernie or Biden. Say what you will about Biden, but he comes off way more like an actual human than the other center lane candidates did. Once the powers that be realized the only two who could ever possibly win were Biden or Bernie, they obviously consolidated behind Biden. At least, that's how I remember it and how I interpretted it at the time.

The part of the tweet that feels like a joke is the idea that anyone at all ever cared about liberal blue check mark elites? Like wake up call for what? That check marks aren't kingmakers? Did anybody actually think this?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

The part of the tweet that feels like a joke is the idea that anyone at all ever cared about liberal blue check mark elites? Like wake up call for what? That check marks aren't kingmakers? Did anybody actually think this?

Noted bluecheck haver Nate Silver absolutely does

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Say what you will about Biden, but he comes off way more like an actual human than the other center lane candidates did.

No he didn't. People just knew who he was, because he was the previous VP, and the general liberal public associates the Obama era as a modern golden age in politics. He didn't come off as more human than Pete Buttigieg; he came off as a safe haven for returning to the pre-Trump status quo, someone who wouldn't hurt any important's bottom line and could pretend to represent good ol' boy Americana.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Takoluka posted:

He didn't come off as more human than Pete Buttigieg;

He sure did to me! Biden's whole thing for the majority of his career was putting his foot in his mouth, which is not good but it's more human than having every word focus group tested.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the whole strategy for Biden was mitigating risk by not letting the people see him at all especially with his clearly weakening mental state

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I mean, it's not rocket science. Generally affable + Obama's Sidekick + Personal Tragedies + "Big loving deal" (the one gaff that non-politically engaged people are likely to remember) + Onion TransAm Biden. They kept him hidden so the shine wouldn't wear off those.

That's a lot more human than "Literally a walking talking Resume" Buttman. He was not establishment choice, but the establishment was notably split between Harris (most of the Clinton wing), Klob (the intelligencia wing), Butt (a grab-bag of parts of the Clinton wing, the last bits of the old Kennedy wing and some of the intelligencia) and Warren (not-Bernie compromisers made up of a bunch of different people). Klob never got anywhere, Butt has no appeal to the black coalition of the Dem party, Harris's campaign imploded spectacularly and the Warren people were never serious about Warren so they abandoned her as soon as she wasn't a necessary foil. Leaving Biden. He wasn't anyone's first pick but the establishment was fine making him be the nom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/yassir_lester/status/1365730658954268681?s=21

Herd immunity? Never heard of it.

It’s cool that we’re a year into this and we’re rehashing last March’s argument that you shouldn’t wear a mask but applying it to a disastrous rollout where thousands of vaccines have literally been thrown away because the “right” recipients weren’t available at the time.