Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just remembered one of the best bad things to come out of the whole Ministry. Gangrel's God awful promo after The Brood got kicked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Roughly how much was Donald Trump paid for his Wrestlemania 23 appearance?

They made a 4 million dollar donation to the Trump foundation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

They made a 4 million dollar donation to the Trump foundation.

So 4 million, plus whatever that let him claim off his taxes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Agreed, he was doing God's work. I unironically loved the fact that the site was written in Comic Sans.

I just checked the Internet Archive for micasawrestling.com. I don't think there's any trace of it left, except a link to another news site he was part of. My 2400 baud modem could barely manage that site, but it was so worth it in 1996.

Wrestling Scoops and The Bagpipe Report were other musts in that era.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Is there a database of who was who in Chikara? At this point there’s no sense in keeping kayfabe for a defunct org.

Combing through Cagematch (so grain of salt), I put together a list. I'm not going to count those who only really went by their masked personas (ie. UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked), those who wrestled without mask or paint, those whose mask-wearing was part of the storyline (Claudio as Very Mysterious Ice Cream, Pinkie Sanchez as Carpenter Ant) and those who started in the latter years of Chikara and just picked up a new identity after the fact.

El Hijo del Ice Cream/Darkness Crabtree/Nytehawk: Mike Quackenbush
Ice Cream Jr.: Hallowicked (usually)
Mobius: Blaxstrom
Hydra: Leslie Butterscotch
Fire Ant: Orange Cassidy
Soldier Ant: Drew Gulak
Worker Ant I: Slacker Martin
Amasis: Desean Pratt
Retail Dragon: Lucky 13
Chiva IV: Andrew Everett
Escorpion Egipcio: Rey Escorpion
Green Ant I/Silver Ant: Tracy Williams
Kodama: Louie Valle
Ovariyon: Chris Peaks
assailANT/Worker Ant II: Zito
combatANT: Alex Reynolds
deviANT: Isaias Velazquez
The Shard: John Silver
Saturyne: Hania the Howling Huntress
Lance Steel: Neiko Sozio/Niles Young
Polar Baron: Jakob Hammermeier
Mr. Azerbaijan: Chuck Taylor
17: Kyle Matthews
Qefka the Quiet: Mark Andrews
Argus: Ryan Zane
Lithuanian Snow Troll/Tianlong: Alexander Bird
Estonian Thunderfrog: Jamal Killz
Latvian Proud Oak: RD Evans/Archibald Peck
Brown Morning of Belarus: Joe Clyde
Jervis Cottonbelly I: TJ Cain
Jervis Cottonbelly II: Kevin Condron
Nokken: TJ Marconi
Arctic Rescue Ant/Bullet Ant/Ursa Minor in the Night Sky: Jixx
Rock Lobster: Smiley
Sylverhawk: Wheeler YUTA

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TheKingslayer posted:

I just remembered one of the best bad things to come out of the whole Ministry. Gangrel's God awful promo after The Brood got kicked out.

gangrel is easily my favorite worst wrestler of all time

everything about him was extremely my teenage poo poo and he was bad at absolutely everything

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn’t Hania turn most of the Impact locker room against her?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

It's amazing how it completely and utterly obliterated whatever mystique the Brood had built up within secondsthecondths.

"The Brood initially has not spoken by our own choice. And then later, it was forbidden - heh heh hweh - by The Undertaker." WELL HE WAS loving RIGHT TO, MATE.

Here it is on Dailymotion if anyone wants to enjoy the carnage.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25zh24

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 28, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

It's amazing how it completely and utterly obliterated whatever mystique the Brood had built up within secondsthecondths.

"The Brood initially has not spoken by our own choice. And then later, it was forbidden - heh heh hweh - by The Undertaker." WELL HE WAS loving RIGHT TO, MATE.

Here it is on Dailymotion if anyone wants to enjoy the carnage.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25zh24

My gothic lifestyle

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Edge isn't terrible in that clip, at least for its time. Gangrel though, hoo boy.

ChrisBTY posted:

Don Callis would have been a good higher power. But then you have to explain how such a bunch of guys including the Undertaker were taking their cues from a nobody.

Jake would've been more fitting, but otherwise it should've been a big get from another promotion. I'd say they could've pulled it off if they delayed Big Show's debut by a couple months, but there's no way they planned that whole angle more than a few days ahead of time.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 28, 2021

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Whatever it was, it was too much

That match was the biggest draw on the PPV with the most buys to that point, and 2nd highest ever.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Was the Trump vs Rosie match on Raw solely Vince's idea? Or did Trump call in a favour/make a request?

Coz I could see it going both of those ways.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Jake would've been a great higher power if he wasn't a crackhead at the time. Vince even referenced him a week or two before the "reveal", immediately making it clear that it sadly wasn't him.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
BTW, what does everyone make of Bruce Prichard's "Russo pitched Christopher Daniels at the Greater Power" story? (My assumption is that this would have been at some point where they wanted it to be a completely new character, not a reveal of someone known working with The Undertaker.) It's not the *type* of thing that Bruce tends to be prone to make up, and with how much Russo WCW was a weird WWF tribute promotion at times, it sure feels like you can draw a straight line to Russo using Daniels as Vampiro's Greater Power type on exactly one show before giving it up.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i remember coming across that on the lovely newz sites i used at the time not long after the reveal, but those were also the same sites that posted "Chris Jericho is joining Degeneration-X" every week

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i heard the rumors a few years ago that was the pitch but didn't think there was anything to it, esp considering his size and already knowing how guys like him would wind up used, if at all.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

Jake would've been more fitting, but otherwise it should've been a big get from another promotion. I'd say they could've pulled it off if they delayed Big Show's debut by a couple months, but there's no way they planned that whole angle more than a few days ahead of time.
The WWF was all about crash booking during this period so of course they didn't have a long-term plan for who would end up as the Higher Power

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i have no doubt that a bunch of names were thrown out there as possible higher powers, daniels included. but seriously considered? i dont think so.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a big-name pro-wrestler that does/did a lot of JoJo memes?

How has no one mentioned DIO MADDIN yet?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vince went from revealing himself as the Higher Power to losing a stip to Austin and leaving WWF in the span of just 2 PPVs.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

D.N. Nation posted:

Vince went from revealing himself as the Higher Power to losing a stip to Austin and leaving WWF in the span of just 2 PPVs.

Man, what a lackluster push, but that's WWE for you

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they might've considered it with Daniels as purely a manager type, not in any way planning to use him as a wrestler (which would obviously have been a great loss) but the whole Higher Power thing runs into the problem Vince causes a lot of the time, spending months ramping up and hyping a big surprise, only to push it past the point where anything would be satisfying.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Gavok posted:

Combing through Cagematch (so grain of salt), I put together a list. I'm not going to count those who only really went by their masked personas (ie. UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked), those who wrestled without mask or paint, those whose mask-wearing was part of the storyline (Claudio as Very Mysterious Ice Cream, Pinkie Sanchez as Carpenter Ant) and those who started in the latter years of Chikara and just picked up a new identity after the fact.

El Hijo del Ice Cream/Darkness Crabtree/Nytehawk: Mike Quackenbush
Ice Cream Jr.: Hallowicked (usually)
Mobius: Blaxstrom
Hydra: Leslie Butterscotch
Fire Ant: Orange Cassidy
Soldier Ant: Drew Gulak
Worker Ant I: Slacker Martin
Amasis: Desean Pratt
Retail Dragon: Lucky 13
Chiva IV: Andrew Everett
Escorpion Egipcio: Rey Escorpion
Green Ant I/Silver Ant: Tracy Williams
Kodama: Louie Valle
Ovariyon: Chris Peaks
assailANT/Worker Ant II: Zito
combatANT: Alex Reynolds
deviANT: Isaias Velazquez
The Shard: John Silver
Saturyne: Hania the Howling Huntress
Lance Steel: Neiko Sozio/Niles Young
Polar Baron: Jakob Hammermeier
Mr. Azerbaijan: Chuck Taylor
17: Kyle Matthews
Qefka the Quiet: Mark Andrews
Argus: Ryan Zane
Lithuanian Snow Troll/Tianlong: Alexander Bird
Estonian Thunderfrog: Jamal Killz
Latvian Proud Oak: RD Evans/Archibald Peck
Brown Morning of Belarus: Joe Clyde
Jervis Cottonbelly I: TJ Cain
Jervis Cottonbelly II: Kevin Condron
Nokken: TJ Marconi
Arctic Rescue Ant/Bullet Ant/Ursa Minor in the Night Sky: Jixx
Rock Lobster: Smiley
Sylverhawk: Wheeler YUTA

Thanks for compiling this, crazy to see some of those names and having NO CLUE who they were at the time (Silver/Reynolds especially).

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Thanks for compiling this, crazy to see some of those names and having NO CLUE who they were at the time (Silver/Reynolds especially).

It means that = had to get out of my chair so that Orange Cassidy could climb a pillar next to where I was sitting and senton Hallowicked and Frightmare two years before I knew who Orange Cassidy was.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you have a video of that because i'd love to see him climb a pillar and jump off of it

(also what's everyone's favorite matches with masked cassidy reynolds or silver)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was fun going to shows where both Fire Ant and Orange Cassidy wrestle, since he switches his style so completely.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

flatluigi posted:

do you have a video of that because i'd love to see him climb a pillar and jump off of it

(also what's everyone's favorite matches with masked cassidy reynolds or silver)

It was on King of Trios 2017. I've got it as an MP4 somewhere so I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

flatluigi posted:

My favorite Fire Ant match is probably Fire Ant vs. Vin Gerard from the Young Lions Cup 2008 finals. The last few minutes is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Lr2GBzncE

I'm even in the crowd, second row with the bright white t-shirt and parted hair.

For Silver, it would probably be either Shard vs. Amasis or Pieces of Hate (Shard and Jigsaw) vs. Young Bucks. In-between King of Trios 2012 and the whole Ashes thing, Chikara felt a bit lacking in direction, but Shard was easily a talent that stuck out during that time.

Reynolds' character combatANT wasn't around for all that long and never got any meaningful singles matches. Putting together the list, he was one of the more surprising names to me, second to Mandrews being Qefka the Quiet.

Endless Mike posted:

It was fun going to shows where both Fire Ant and Orange Cassidy wrestle, since he switches his style so completely.

Now I'm reminded of Chuck Taylor's 24/7 Championship videos where in one short clip, Chuck kicks Fire Ant off the apron, gets taken down by an enziguri from Ophidian, Ophidian eats a Green Ant superkick and as Green Ant celebrates with the belt, Orange Cassidy (wearing just boxers) runs over and puts him in the head vice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even with Quack being a POS I'm still grateful CHIKARA showed me a lot of stuff I'd never have seen otherwise, like a bunch of joshi talent or Johnny Saint and Johnny Smith wrestle.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I didn't realize that I saw Deucalion murder Johnny Hungie live and in person until a few hours ago

Thanks, now I have to call the ghostbusters

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know that Kevin Dunn is blamed a lot but I see AEW's camera work leaning in that direction with some of it seen in the AEW women's tournament (Mei's missed Super Apple Punchin the six women's tag) and I'm wondering if it's an industry taught technique/trend/belief that they need to have quick camera cuts to display action(?) to the audience. Basically, why are there so many quick camera cuts in the WWE and AEW? Were they taught to do things, this way?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I know that Kevin Dunn is blamed a lot but I see AEW's camera work leaning in that direction with some of it seen in the AEW women's tournament (Mei's missed Super Apple Punchin the six women's tag) and I'm wondering if it's an industry taught technique/trend/belief that they need to have quick camera cuts to display action(?) to the audience. Basically, why are there so many quick camera cuts in the WWE and AEW? Were they taught to do things, this way?

I believe AEW's guy in charge is a former TNA dude so aping terrible WWE poo poo is pretty much ingrained into his dna at this point

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TV Zombie posted:

I think it's a few things:

1. With the change to HD, the initial reaction at WWE was that more detail might expose the business, so I think the camera cuts/movement are to help cover up spots that look obviously worked. I don't agree that the camera work adds anything or hides the 'magic', but that may be their mindset, partially.
2. Dunn has been safe for a long time, but obviously, the culture at the company is toxic/political, and he probably feels like he has to do whatever he can to protect his job. I think the camera stuff might be sold as his innovation to give WWE its own look/style, and set the tone for the industry; when TNA/AEW copy it, for whatever reason, he looks smart.
3. Given all the things they could do, visually, shaky cam/quick cuts/wild zooms don't cost extra. If Vince McMahon asks how you've used the a/v department to give the company excitement/style while staying under budget, this is it. They could do more with animation, detailed character overlays for entrances, and high-quality video packages/interviews, but they don't, because that stuff costs money. Kevin Dunn can show up at meetings and claim they're doing a lot with presentation techniques that cost zero extra dollars, and Vince probably loves those words.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That would jibe with Percy Pringle's shoot where he said he was trying to learn production and Dunn basically shut him off with a whole lot of "No this is my precious, yous can'ts have my buttons filthy Hobbits"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

That would jibe with Percy Pringle's shoot where he said he was trying to learn production and Dunn basically shut him off with a whole lot of "No this is my precious, yous can'ts have my buttons filthy Hobbits"

Dunn is a moron, politically. One on hand, Dunn could have handed him a loser task destined to fail, and tanked his ambition in regards to production (which would be supremely lovely, but at least he's not an idiot in this scenario). On the other hand, Dunn actually would've done really well for himself if he'd worked with Percy/Paul, and you know, made friends with him, and gotten closer to wrestlers, thus giving him more protection (if the Undertaker yells to Vince you can't fire the guy who makes him look good on TV, that guy never gets fired).

Edit: Don't Stephanie/HHH dislike Dunn?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

Dunn is a moron, politically. One on hand, Dunn could have handed him a loser task destined to fail, and tanked his ambition in regards to production (which would be supremely lovely, but at least he's not an idiot in this scenario). On the other hand, Dunn actually would've done really well for himself if he'd worked with Percy/Paul, and you know, made friends with him, and gotten closer to wrestlers, thus giving him more protection (if the Undertaker yells to Vince you can't fire the guy who makes him look good on TV, that guy never gets fired).

Edit: Don't Stephanie/HHH dislike Dunn?

It seems to be a common sentiment that the only reason Dunn has anything at all to do with the WWE is Vince has one of his weird cases of absolute loyalty to Dunn. Nobody else seems to think much of him but nobody can do anything because his protection is so high up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It seems to be a common sentiment that the only reason Dunn has anything at all to do with the WWE is Vince has one of his weird cases of absolute loyalty to Dunn. Nobody else seems to think much of him but nobody can do anything because his protection is so high up.

Can't that change at any time? I would've thought Jim Johnston was bulletproof, but, well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Can't that change at any time? I would've thought Jim Johnston was bulletproof, but, well

Dunn saved some tapes from a fire for Vince Sr and is one of the guys Vince Jr was asked to take care of i believe

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Love how on Cesaros uppercut where he tossss the guy in the air they do 5 seconds of the guy falling downward in slo motion and then play the actual hit at 4 times normal speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dunn saved some tapes from a fire for Vince Sr and is one of the guys Vince Jr was asked to take care of i believe

Yeah, if Vince was told by his dad to take care of somebody apparently he does almost religiously.