Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

PSA: If your construction projects are laggy as hell, it's probably because of the terraforming you did. According to a reddit post, at least. Tl;dr is that any time you adjust the terrain, whether it's digging or raising or flattening ground, you're creating an invisible object that now exists permanently in that spot (actually several of them, since adjusting one spot moves surrounding earth up/down to match). It's like instead of remembering the ground as it currently is, the game remembers how it originally was, and then adjusts it each time. Why they're doing this the hard way, and not just saving a simple height map, I have no idea. Also all of the changes have to stream to each new player when they load the area, so if you're doing multiplayer and have a heavily terraformed base, you get lag city.

I'd assume it will probably get fixed soon, but until then maybe try to match your buildings to the terrain, instead of vice versa.

Nice ploy Bob, but you ain't foolin' anybody! :colbert:

Vanadium posted:

I may be overthinking the fortification game for our hut in the meadows?

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could raise such a narrow strip of land, so that it's all rock! I've been after a look like that, upon which to put a palisade. (soooorta like this, but cruder stone for the bottom ~third and purely palisade for the upper 2/3. Best pic I can find though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Kinda, but special attacks can and will occur in any base. Had a pack of trolls show up in our spawn base one time.

I had a swarm of drakes attack my meadows base, but in reality that was just free trophy delivery

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t be alone when I say there in a ton about this game that reminds me of 1999 Everquest and discovering the world. That feeling...

I think valheim would have been a more popular proof of concept of what EQnext could have been despite never playing the beta.

Pro defense tip for plains. Lox are can be excellent guards for skelly/troll raids.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Vanadium posted:

I may be overthinking the fortification game for our hut in the meadows?

I think you maybe vastly overestimating the amount of Mongol invaders in this game :haw:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

causticBeet posted:

Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

Biome 3. Iron-tier.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

CheeseSpawn posted:

I think valheim would have been a more popular proof of concept of what EQnext could have been despite never playing the beta.

Pro defense tip for plains. Lox are can be excellent guards for skelly/troll raids.

I played the beta and it is almost exactly the same actually.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

CheeseSpawn posted:

Interestingly, the "prototype" for this game actually came out a while ago called Citadel: Forged With Fire (https://store.steampowered.com/app/487120/Citadel_Forged_with_Fire/). It feels like almost the same thing except hey, Yer a Wizard, Harry.

Some major differences are that Citadel uses a static map that's the same for all worlds with automatic waypoints and safe zones and stuff. Overall, it also isn't nearly as punishing as Valheim, but there's definitely those points where you wander into a high level area and get one-shot by a level 80 mega dragon or whatever and then get to have fun flying back to your charred corpse while avoiding getting thrashed, so whatevs. It seemed pretty unique so I have no idea why it never really seemed to have gotten any attention, especially when some people have made some pretty crazy-rear end poo poo in the game:

In Valheim related news I finally built a house that, while nothing like a lot of people have posted, doesn't look like a barn built by an idiot:

Now that I've finally gotten the hang of building things after hours of screwing up, I'll probably expand out a bit and make some new stuff. I generally don't build much in these games (it was like 20 hours in that I realized I could flatten the ground with the hoe), but building is surprisingly satisfying in this game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dialhforhero posted:

I played the beta and it is almost exactly the same actually.

Eh, eqnext was all voxels, you had a lot more building options

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t be alone when I say there in a ton about this game that reminds me of 1999 Everquest and discovering the world. That feeling...

I was able to get more friends in by selling it as more like Everquest or Ultima with just buds. I was very hesitant at first cause it was initially pushed as a survival by our bud who loves games like Rust and that poo poo aint for me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

So... how would one go about bridging this gap and reach the mountain on the other side?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If all you want is results, the raise tool. Get at least one tile to the height you want it and if you click on the edge of it, it will raise the whole column with a single click.

That's how I did this (needed to get through a plains biome that was kicking my rear end to get to bonemass).

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah not sure if you can make a viable cart path, but just raising the land as much as it will go should make a sweet wall/path for regular travel. Hope you've been saving your stone and not just chucking it on the ground!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

I was able to get more friends in by selling it as more like Everquest or Ultima with just buds. I was very hesitant at first cause it was initially pushed as a survival by our bud who loves games like Rust and that poo poo aint for me.

It's really tough to describe because it's definitely a survival game, but the adventuring / exploration aspect of the game DEFINITELY brings back a lot of the EQ/UO/Elder Scrolls feels of consistently finding something cool no matter where you. Whenever I get tired of grinding out resources, I go explore. When I get tired of that, time to work on building up my bases. Bored with that? Let's find some crypts! It's perfect for someone who can't devote 60+ hours a week but still wants those feelings of awe as you play.

Anyone else playing on a dedicated server with friends, but also keeping a local seed to do a lot of work on? It's been helping me a ton with keeping up with a lot of my friends, since I can ferry ores and stone and wood between seeds super easily. I expect that to get patched out but it's a nice comfort to have right now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This weekend was fun. I was putzing around with our new bronze/core wood/fine wood toys, building up the castle town, made a two headed ogre, bunch of wooden serpents flowing around as decoration, plus harvesting shitloads of ore and food. Also established portals, one to boss island, one to furthest place I've sailed, and a blank one I meant to stick on our dinky home island but forgot! I was surprised how the stacks of bronze and food/potions I made quickly disappeared between the two of us. I thought we were set for life for a minute there! Oops.

Tree Gumby was a fun boss, took me a little too long to realize I didn't need to be playing sniper-behind-cover and just darksouls the fool but we got him first try. We then went on a sailing journey and found a swamp area, has at least 2 crypts in it, and it says the third boss is nearby on the map. Raided our first crypt and oh boy the whiplash from "oh boy new thing" to "huh, now what" was severe. Back to basics! Clear cutting the forest near our basecamp, back to mining, we gotta set up infrastructure on sight to make anything out of this junk. And yet, part of me wants to smuggle home 2 iron bars just to make a stonecutter and start building the third manor, this time with stone foundation.

We cracked up when we realized how we got this poo poo, it was a funny jump from "strike the earth" to "steal from the dead!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

More than anything I think I want this game to add a filter on what stuff your character will pick up at any given moment. Ore yes, rock no. Thistle yes, my 20 millionth greydwarf eye, no.

And related to that, is there some way to just delete items? The ol' Minecraft one square of lava trash can?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I walk down to the beach and toss my garbage in the ocean.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Safe and totally legal

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Second boss spoilers ahead:

We haven't been looking up guides for the game or anything and after the first boss was such a push over we decided to attempt The Elder with a smattering of troll hide armour, a tiny bit of bronze, etc. Not overly well equipped.

Did we get incredibly unlucky with the elder's summon location or is it always like this:

The summoning circle was on a little point of land with water on 3 sides. The woods on the land-side are dark forest but it's only a few hundred feet to a desert biome of some kind. There's a village not too deep into the woods that had some crazy goblin things that aggro'ed from a million miles away. They sent a berserker over that can one-shot us with ease. After escaping the goblins we decided to summon the elder but mid-fight the goblins showed up and killed our most powerful player (wearing mostly bronze armour). The rest of us slowly died off to either elder tentacles or spawning greydwarves/goblins.

... Aaaand then we get into "our fault" territory. The Elder destroyed our only ship but we had enough supplies to scrape together another one so we could try to run back to get our bodies. Of course it turns out the elder aggros from an insane distance, so we had to make emergency landfall. But of course there were a bunch of greydwarves there who destroyed our ship while we tried to loot our corpses, and then we died again since I guess you don't automatically pick up your body loot if it won't all fit in your inventory so we mostly got picked off while trying to painstakingly grab our valuables one by one. Now we are hilariously knocked back to the near stone-age and will have to spend hours building back up and mining bronze just to have a hope of recovering our bodies.

If we summon the elder at another location will he also be at the first one? If we can "move" him it would make corpse recovery infinitely easier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stuff despawns eventually outside of your bubbles of workshop control. Could make a trash pit outside your fence or wherever in the woods, I've also dumped poo poo in the ocean, as is human tradition.

Quest about jumping a resource tier with black metal. We found a Plains biome, but didn't venture too far because we were already sidetracked. We killed a few goblins and deathsquitoes, unlocked some stuff... but not actually any stuff to use the black metal with, can't even smelt it I don't think, maybe I need to just dump it in furnace first to see. Anyway, Plains are meant to be too tough for us, but the goblins were mostly kite-able and I reckon we could build a sniping platform. There's this goblin village or something, I'm just wondering if we could cheese these monsters to make ourselves some black iron tools early

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Squibbles posted:

We haven't been looking up guides for the game or anything and after the first boss was such a push over we decided to attempt The Elder with a smattering of troll hide armour, a tiny bit of bronze, etc. Not overly well equipped.

Did we get incredibly unlucky with the elder's summon location or is it always like this:

The summoning circle was on a little point of land with water on 3 sides. The woods on the land-side are dark forest but it's only a few hundred feet to a desert biome of some kind. There's a village not too deep into the woods that had some crazy goblin things that aggro'ed from a million miles away. They sent a berserker over that can one-shot us with ease. After escaping the goblins we decided to summon the elder but mid-fight the goblins showed up and killed our most powerful player (wearing mostly bronze armour). The rest of us slowly died off to either elder tentacles or spawning greydwarves/goblins.

... Aaaand then we get into "our fault" territory. The Elder destroyed our only ship but we had enough supplies to scrape together another one so we could try to run back to get our bodies. Of course it turns out the elder aggros from an insane distance, so we had to make emergency landfall. But of course there were a bunch of greydwarves there who destroyed our ship while we tried to loot our corpses, and then we died again since I guess you don't automatically pick up your body loot if it won't all fit in your inventory so we mostly got picked off while trying to painstakingly grab our valuables one by one. Now we are hilariously knocked back to the near stone-age and will have to spend hours building back up and mining bronze just to have a hope of recovering our bodies.

If we summon the elder at another location will he also be at the first one? If we can "move" him it would make corpse recovery infinitely easier.

Bad luck. I fought him in the middle of black forest, a troll showed up to the party which was a problem but I just changed my keep away focus to him and used obstructions against the boss

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I assume he'll show up at the other altar just fine but haven't tested two up at once yet. I know you can summon multiples of same boss at same location, though, so I reckon you'd be able to summon him elsewhere without issue. Sounds like you lost to high-level biome enemies, not actually the boss so much. Dedicate your first new bronze to an axe if you haven't already, the wood you can chop with bronze enables you to build something great to alleviate future attempts on a boss and resultant corpse runs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The second boss is a real bro later in the game, plant a ton of trees around his spawner, summon him in, and let him do all the forestry for you

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Khanstant posted:

Stuff despawns eventually outside of your bubbles of workshop control. Could make a trash pit outside your fence or wherever in the woods, I've also dumped poo poo in the ocean, as is human tradition.

Quest about jumping a resource tier with black metal. We found a Plains biome, but didn't venture too far because we were already sidetracked. We killed a few goblins and deathsquitoes, unlocked some stuff... but not actually any stuff to use the black metal with, can't even smelt it I don't think, maybe I need to just dump it in furnace first to see. Anyway, Plains are meant to be too tough for us, but the goblins were mostly kite-able and I reckon we could build a sniping platform. There's this goblin village or something, I'm just wondering if we could cheese these monsters to make ourselves some black iron tools early

You need an item from the fourth boss to make new workstations that let you process materials from the fifth biome.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mastershakeman posted:

Bad luck. I fought him in the middle of black forest, a troll showed up to the party which was a problem but I just changed my keep away focus to him and used obstructions against the boss
Thanks. Good to know we can try him at the other location we've discovered, even though it's further away.

Khanstant posted:

I assume he'll show up at the other altar just fine but haven't tested two up at once yet. I know you can summon multiples of same boss at same location, though, so I reckon you'd be able to summon him elsewhere without issue. Sounds like you lost to high-level biome enemies, not actually the boss so much. Dedicate your first new bronze to an axe if you haven't already, the wood you can chop with bronze enables you to build something great to alleviate future attempts on a boss and resultant corpse runs.

Ah, we we have discovered portals. We just got over ambitious based on how easy the first boss was so didn't set up a proper camp or anything within easy running of this guy. Our only way there is via ship. In retrospect we were very dumb.

And yeah, I was hoping we could summon him elsewhere so that maybe he'd despawn at the first location. Doesn't look like that's the case if we can summon multiple copies even at the same location at the same time.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The second boss is apparently 100000km away and not connected by land. I'd never rafted before and sure as hell didn't want to lose all my stuff, so I stripped naked and brought just a bit of food. I sailed over, made landfall, and immediately had to leg it from greydwarves while scrounging together an axe.. I somehow make a little palisade enclave as night falls, I'm out of wood, my axe is busted, and I'm apparently right in the middle of a shaman party, waiting to see what dawn brings

Game rules

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fine but I might still hunt some gobbos in my free time, love those little guys. Can we tame them?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

boofhead posted:

The second boss is apparently 100000km away and not connected by land. I'd never rafted before and sure as hell didn't want to lose all my stuff, so I stripped naked and brought just a bit of food. I sailed over, made landfall, and immediately had to leg it from greydwarves while scrounging together an axe.. I somehow make a little palisade enclave as night falls, I'm out of wood, my axe is busted, and I'm apparently right in the middle of a shaman party, waiting to see what dawn brings

Game rules

i love this approach. me and my buddy took our first raft trip to get to the first boss, got all our best food, leather armour, etc and... got attacked on the ocean on the way there and lost everything, still see our gravestones floating just off the shore of what became our new home eventually.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

boofhead posted:

Game rules

This is why I think the game is so magical and why I ultimately regret cheating a bunch of materials just to move my base.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The "gear up and load up the boat to break into a new biome" is the best play mechanic this game has, the flurry of activity to tame the landing zone and branch out for upgraded resources is perfect. I hope future games rip it off mercilessly because I love it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just keep the boat loaded with enough stone and wood to make a small house, palisade, hearth, and portal

Takes a couple of minutes after landing to have a safe spot up, and just by nature of the game design nothing is going to mess with it when people aren't around, so it's pretty painless

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Getting real sick of greydwarves beating the poo poo out of my boat while I'm putting around with my farm. My dock shore has a pretty wicked dropoff so now my iron nails are about 50m down.

Time to start disassembling stuff with iron on it so scrounge enough nails for an iron run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that you are kind of encouraged to make semi-realistic looking forts in this.

Like making the rammed earth and stake terraces, but would really like an earthen backfill piece that snaps to other building materials.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MissMarple posted:

(this is also aided by silver clearly not being content complete, and having a narrower number of items to upgrade).

This was kinda a disappointment to me, it's clear that the last two biomes were a little rushed in terms of getting EA out. Game still owns, but the quality & quantity of new stuff does fall off somewhat after the swamps. I imagine that the 3 updates on the roadmap before mistlands are mostly about fixing that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was trying to create a rice-paddy look in our base for a while, but it's just too hard to get each level to be totally distinct without it being an exaggerated drop off.

Also, without spoiling how, just yes or no: Do we eventually get the instrument from windwaker to control the direction of the wind?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also little beach house on a rocky peninsula for conquering my second island.

I do like how easy it is to build something other than a giant cube.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Khanstant posted:

I was trying to create a rice-paddy look in our base for a while, but it's just too hard to get each level to be totally distinct without it being an exaggerated drop off.

Also, without spoiling how, just yes or no: Do we eventually get the instrument from windwaker to control the direction of the wind?

More or less, yes, that exists in a fashion.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

what the hell is this thing? im betting i shouldnt have put my palisade base about 20 metres from it. there are tonnes of enemies even during the day

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a monster spawner

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

boofhead posted:

what the hell is this thing? im betting i shouldnt have put my palisade base about 20 metres from it. there are tonnes of enemies even during the day

It's just an enemy spawner. Go smash it and get an item you need for the second boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Question about the fifth boss: We've now raided about a half dozen goblin camps across multiple continents and still don't have any leads on where it may be. We've found a few of the totems but that hasn't helped much. Do we have the right idea or are we missing something really obvious?