Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone had any clan battles (T9) yet and has an idea of what its shaping up to be? We're going to start in about an hour and I have this feeling it will be something like this in every match:

Musashi/Georgia/Jean Bart x2
Benham/Kitekaze x1 or x2
Alaska x3 or x4

Is there any reason at all to bring any cruiser other than Alaska? And does any other BB get a look in to those 3? I also think Benham is heads above the other torp-boats, and Kitekaze just too good in general to consider anything else.

Played 8 games last night. There was at least one Alaska on every team but it was still a lot more varied than I expected overall. It seems 2 BB, 2 DD and 3 Cruiser is the most common lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

kaesarsosei posted:

Played 8 games last night. There was at least one Alaska on every team but it was still a lot more varied than I expected overall. It seems 2 BB, 2 DD and 3 Cruiser is the most common lineup.

We tried a bunch of different comps last night. My clan had 3 teams running and we were I think 21-5 overall, and I don't think we ever ran an Alaska

I will take a short moment just to bask in this, which was literally our first game of the season

Mainly though we mixed up the DDs and cruisers a bit. By the end of the night we were running 1 BB (Musashi), 1 Donskoi, 1 Brindisi, and 4 DD (a mix of Black, Mogador, and Kitakaze, occasionally Neustrashimy).

We ran into 2 heavy Alaska teams, and both times they were just absolutely crushed by a combination of getting rushed by Mogadors, and the Black laying a smoke curtain for a Donskoi. I had one game where I played Donskoi on a flank with 2 Alaskas, and I had 16 fires and 107k damage just by myself between them, and they literally never spotted me or were able to take a shot. Alaska honestly just gets crushed.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

What is your captain and upgrade setup for the donkey?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

What is your captain and upgrade setup for the donkey?

And, to be honest, you can fiddle around with it. You might do SE over Grease the Gears and Pyro, you might do RPF instead of TGG, you might do range mod instead of reload mod...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Every ranked game is this now. It's a struggle every game but the dominance of the Georgia is something to behold. Still, With each game ending with my hands shaking I doubt I can sit down and slog all the way out of bronze league....

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The question is, do you want to get out of Bronze League? Silver has worse MM (T10 is a shitfest), and more games required to rank out with the only extra rewards being some extra doubloons effectively. For me anyway, I think I will stay in Bronze for at least 1 more sprint (I hit Rank 1).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

kaesarsosei posted:

Just for fun's sake, what hidden feature or 1 addition could they make to these new German DDs to make them playable? eg if the torps had a 0.5km spotting distance, would they (the ships) still be useless?

So, bringing this back up because the test ships are out now and the stats make these seem situationally very interesting.

What that chart is showing is is that at max range, you have a DD with 8 second shell flight time, and enough pen to citadel almost every T10 cruiser. It becomes actually every T10 cruiser at 13km. If the situation ever arises, you literally have enough pen to citadel Kremlin and Yamato at point blank range.

Beyond that, we find this:

Notice particularly the ricochet angles. Those are the exact same values as Des Moines.

So, you have a DD with a max of 6.5km conceal (7km if you want to do fearless brawler), with guns that can citadel every T10 cruiser out to 13km, with DM pen angles, over 30k hp, and armor that makes it immune to DD HE. It has real downsides, like the speed, the turning circle, and the skill floor to not let things with good AP get hits on you. But it has some fantastic upside too. It's almost like a DD version of Stalingrad. You will absolutely loving murder cruisers in this that are broadside to you. Like you'll have 20k+ damage on them before they even start to turn/know they are going to get pounded, and your pen angles will let you get more cits in while they are turning. The flight time will make you crazy accurate too.

It's not OP, it's actually cool - real big upsides and real big downsides. I'm actually excited now.

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 26, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A DD that can almost brawl with a cruiser sounds pretty great actually, sneak up start unloading, slinky away if they get too bow on to you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
But will they take full pen hits back with that armour?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

But will they take full pen hits back with that armour?

Yes, meaning it requires actual skill to play well, a shocking turn of events for 2021 WG

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It'll just get spotted and harrased by CV planes well before it gets in range to be a glass cannon against cruisers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

That Works posted:

It'll just get spotted and harrased by CV planes well before it gets in range to be a glass cannon against cruisers.

Everything gets hosed by CVs, this isn’t a unique trait. You could div with a Daring and use its smokes and ability to knife fight to complement your weaknesses. You also can cit cruisers out to incredible ranges, so you have a lot of freedom to choose where you go to keep yourself out of harms way. Again, it’s going to take a lot of effort to work, which is a good thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A lot of effort that can be undone by a CV for little effort.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, it's not just a CV coming after you. Mediocre speed, no smoke, and being incredibly large and cumbersome is not a good combination for coming under fire from anyone - let alone the lack of a heal as well. Yes, it might function well with a teammate that can smoke for you, but any other situation starts looking extremely shaky.

It having the random DFAA consumable with absolute dogshit AA (even for a DD), is just an elaborate joke.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yes, those things are all true, but, those guns are batshit insane. Like absolutely loving nuts. It will be super high skill floor but super rewarding when you get those like 20 citadel monster games.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Having 7 km concealment when you can citadel cruisers at 15 km is a pretty good combination. I don't know how strong the German DDs will be, but they don't have to be concealment torp boats just because their icon is a triangle.

That Works posted:

A lot of effort that can be undone by a CV for little effort.

That's everything in the game, it really doesn't matter too much which ship is getting poo poo on by some idiot clicking three times every two minutes. The flip side of CVs having no counterplay is that you mainly just play as you would in a no CV game and hope that the CV is too stupid to kill you for free.

Heal and/or smoke would mean competent CVs take longer to kill you, but outside of some extreme tryhard division you're going to lose most games against competent CVs regardless.

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, it's not just a CV coming after you. Mediocre speed, no smoke, and being incredibly large and cumbersome is not a good combination for coming under fire from anyone - let alone the lack of a heal as well. Yes, it might function well with a teammate that can smoke for you, but any other situation starts looking extremely shaky.

It having the random DFAA consumable with absolute dogshit AA (even for a DD), is just an elaborate joke.

It's just a cruiser that trades health and dpm for concealment. If you can play from 15 km away it doesn't matter as much that a fletcher can concealment trap you.

DF is a consumable that Wargaming arbitrarily puts on ships because their performance metric assumes that plane kills are a contribution to your team.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 27, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
https://twitter.com/flamuchz/status/1365630437826125825

Although:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like everyone was right. Leave the poo poo rework alone until the free respec has ended then start changing things.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I mean, I don't know about another whole patch long respec period, but I would honestly expect that WG will offer free respecs after they change skills again for at least a week or so

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Am I going crazy or is the Warhammer 40K collaboration they announced today literally the same thing as it was a year ago?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Looks to be the same. Can't remember if you were able to buy the whole package outright like you can now. Which ships are they anyway?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stanley Pain posted:

Looks to be the same. Can't remember if you were able to buy the whole package outright like you can now. Which ships are they anyway?

Isn't it just a reskin of the T8 Japanese BB with a slower reload for ~reasons~?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Isn't it just a reskin of the T8 Japanese BB with a slower reload for ~reasons~?

It’s the same deal as the Baiji or whatever. Slower reload, more accuracy. Baiji actually gets used in some competitive play because in that role more accuracy is important. I’d get one if I didn’t have a premium tier 8 bb already and wanted one.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, this is exactly what I expected.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao this is peak WG

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If Deadeye is ignored are the remaining skills more or less in the right place? I haven't played since before the rework, so I'm wondering if it gets rebalanced properly (a brave assumption!) whether everyone will just move to abusing the next most broken skill down the list.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
For BB, yes I think its in a decent place so hopefully they will replace Deadeye with something useful but not OP - Top Grade Gunner from the cruiser tree would be perfect for BBs for example. If they do add a skill, it needs to be something offensive and not tanky - we already have 3 very good BB tanking skills at 4 points.

DDs - there are the usual 10 points everything takes. And then some of the new 4-pointers are dreadful (eg Dazzle). Not much more variety here than before, if any, but most DDs were buffed by the changes in effect.

Cruisers - I think this has worked out quite well - there are a few decent choices to make now.

CVs - not a great deal of decisions to make here but I guess there were even less before. Going full fighters to gently caress with the enemy CV might be a thing (not sure, I haven't tried it).

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sub-Octavian, probably posted:

Hello Captains!
We’ve been getting a lot of feedback over the skill rework lately, and we understand you have some concerns, particularly over the BB skill Deadeye. In order to address the unforeseen and unforeseeable changes to the game brought on by this skill, we are going to be making some changes. Deadeye will be moved from the BB skill tree to the CV skill tree, where it will now provide a bonus to rocket, bomb, and torpedo dispersion so long as there are no enemy ships within the standard detection range of your ship. We believe that this change will bring CV gameplay more in-line with our vision of balance. Good hunting, Captains!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:airquote: Unforeseen :airquote: Unforeseeable. :airquote:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

kaesarsosei posted:

For BB, yes I think its in a decent place so hopefully they will replace Deadeye with something useful but not OP - Top Grade Gunner from the cruiser tree would be perfect for BBs for example. If they do add a skill, it needs to be something offensive and not tanky - we already have 3 very good BB tanking skills at 4 points.

DDs - there are the usual 10 points everything takes. And then some of the new 4-pointers are dreadful (eg Dazzle). Not much more variety here than before, if any, but most DDs were buffed by the changes in effect.

Cruisers - I think this has worked out quite well - there are a few decent choices to make now.

CVs - not a great deal of decisions to make here but I guess there were even less before. Going full fighters to gently caress with the enemy CV might be a thing (not sure, I haven't tried it).

DDs got pretty shafted, especially gunboats. BFT now buffs less than before, and if you want to make up for it you need to spend 7 points AND lose concealment, just to get back what bft was for 3 points before the rework.

Cruisers have 1 "build" - lighthouse dpm. Everything else is just "well, I don't want to lighthouse, so I'll just toss some poo poo on here that doesn't do much but whatever".

Air Supremacy Enterprise is hilarious btw. Me and 2 clan mates did it one night. I literally did not drop anyone - 0 damage. All I did was spot and hover around the front of the enemy CV to drop Enterprise fighters with full fighter build. Their planes literally cannot take off without getting vaporized. Most of them just stopped trying to launch any halfway through the game. 0 damage, 75% win rate on the night btw.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If Deadeye is ignored are the remaining skills more or less in the right place? I haven't played since before the rework, so I'm wondering if it gets rebalanced properly (a brave assumption!) whether everyone will just move to abusing the next most broken skill down the list.

The other big issue with the skill rework is Manual Fire Control for Secondaries (or whatever it's called now) being too weak, hopefully that'll get fixed too.

Then we can all go back to complaining about carriers and how their new skills made them even more oppressive.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

toadee posted:

DDs got pretty shafted, especially gunboats. BFT now buffs less than before, and if you want to make up for it you need to spend 7 points AND lose concealment, just to get back what bft was for 3 points before the rework.

Cruisers have 1 "build" - lighthouse dpm. Everything else is just "well, I don't want to lighthouse, so I'll just toss some poo poo on here that doesn't do much but whatever".

Air Supremacy Enterprise is hilarious btw. Me and 2 clan mates did it one night. I literally did not drop anyone - 0 damage. All I did was spot and hover around the front of the enemy CV to drop Enterprise fighters with full fighter build. Their planes literally cannot take off without getting vaporized. Most of them just stopped trying to launch any halfway through the game. 0 damage, 75% win rate on the night btw.

Does this give any XP or work on tech tree carriers? Someday I should grind carriers and that seems like a low guilt way to do it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Also, as has been pointed out by others, super cruisers kind of got shafted even harder than normal cruisers with the skill rework. Because WG, in their infinite wisdom, gave them fires that burn the same length as battleships, but then stripped any fire prevention/reduction skills off the new cruiser tree.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Honestly I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Velius posted:

Does this give any XP or work on tech tree carriers? Someday I should grind carriers and that seems like a low guilt way to do it.

Not really no, it also totally annihilates your PR. It’s funny though!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I mean, it sucks for the non-competitive supercruisers (Azuma and Kronshtadt I'm looking at you), but Why would you take a buffalo when you could have an Alaska, or take a Roon when you could have an Agir, or for that matter?

It's a balance choice I agree on but I'd argue the Azuma especially is just non-competitive without torps and with armor that is so easily overmatched at all ranges by 406s and above. I liked the Ibuki pre-nerf and it's in my mind a superior ship even though the Azuma is situationally more powerful (ie at long rangers doing dumb HE farming).

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I haven't logged on in a couple weeks but I just saw that WG axed Flamu for some flimsy reasons

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Maksimus54 posted:

I haven't logged on in a couple weeks but I just saw that WG axed Flamu for some flimsy reasons

Wait did they remove him from their golden boy content creator group for giving them poo poo over deadeye? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hmbol at WG because it shows theyre little salty bitchboys.