Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Defending BoB the coach isn't complete lunacy, but you can't look at that last season and think "that's all on the personnel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Or blowing a 24-0 lead in the playoffs

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

It’s this. That man was allergic to success.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tbf he got to that game by overcoming an 18-0 deficit in the previous outing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

fsif posted:

Tbf he got to that game by overcoming an 18-0 deficit in the previous outing.

On the other hand, they needed OT to beat the Bills

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s not that they blew a 24-0 lead. That’s bad enough. It’s that they somehow went from a 24 point lead to losing by like 30.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
They blew a 24 point in ten minutes of regulation

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nodoze posted:

On the other hand, they needed OT to beat the Bills

And a blown call by the refs that took a TD off the board for the Bills.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Not to mention Watson making some insane plays. BoB is bad.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Bad Ol’ BOB

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
BOB kicked a FG on 4th and 1 deep in KC territory then tried a fake punt from 4th and like 7 from deep within his own territory on the next possession

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

BOB kicked a FG on 4th and 1 deep in KC territory then tried a fake punt from 4th and like 7 from deep within his own territory on the next possession

4th and 4 I want to say? And it took a pretty good play by a not very good player to stop it since he was the only guy who recognized it.

The fake punt was a good idea that didn't work out, the field goal was not. Combining the two is where it makes no sense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Saying they got up 24-0 to begin with is kind of misleading too because two of those TDs were flukes. One was a blocked punt for a TD, the other was Tyreek fumbling the catch on a punt and the Texans getting the ball at the 2

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Blowing a 24-0 lead is also a fluke

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It actually could have been much worse because the Texans fielded a kickoff in the end zone and instead of kneeling the returner flipped the ball to the official who jumped out of the way because it was a live ball and the Chiefs recovered for a TD, but they gave the Texans a pity call and said it was a touchback

Although it would have been a safety, not a Chiefs TD, because it would have been an illegal forward pass

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

It actually could have been much worse because the Texans fielded a kickoff in the end zone and instead of kneeling the returner flipped the ball to the official who jumped out of the way because it was a live ball and the Chiefs recovered for a TD, but they gave the Texans a pity call and said it was a touchback

Although it would have been a safety, not a Chiefs TD, because it would have been an illegal forward pass

That was the Buffalo game at the start of the 3rd quarter, not against the Chiefs. Unless they somehow did it twice in back to back playoff games and I just spaced on the second one...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I could have sworn it was the Chiefs game but there was so much failure in such a short period if time it all kind of bleeds together

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kirios posted:

I'm convinced Cal's a goon I'm just not sure what his username is.

Hey Kirios, how you doing today? You been doing any posting? And have you been posting with goons better than you?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nodoze posted:

I dunno, that Chiefs team was a juggernaut and I don't think anybody would blink at the final score in a vacuum.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Saying they got up 24-0 to begin with is kind of misleading too because two of those TDs were flukes. One was a blocked punt for a TD, the other was Tyreek fumbling the catch on a punt and the Texans getting the ball at the 2

Yeah, the fluke wasn't blowing the lead, it was getting the lead in the first place. The Texans were doing very little to both get those 24 points, and keep KC scoreless. KC kept shooting themselves in the foot. I remember seeing Kelce drop a routine out pass and thinking "there's no way that this keeps happening for the rest of the game", and sure enough, my pessimism was rewarded.

I'm also convinced that Cal McNair is actually just John C. Reilly doing an extended Cal Naughton Jr. bit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The other touchdown was on their opening drive on a pass to Stills and I want to say that one was completely busted coverage because he scored untouched on a simple slant for like 40 yards or maybe someone fell down or something I can't remember the exact details

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol if this actually came from the Texans...
https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1366480506032898048

JJ Watt, hurt more than helped is a good one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What a clogged toilet of an organization.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol if this actually came from the Texans...
https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1366480506032898048

JJ Watt, hurt more than helped is a good one.

JJ freelanced a lot which lead to the occasional loss of contain but lol at the idea that he hurt the team. Ever since they jettisoned Clowney he's been the only player who consistently gets any kind of pressure

He's also one of the most beloved Houston athletes so the team isn't doing itself any PR favors either

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: the texans FO is loving toxic as fuuuuuuuuuck.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Who was that player about a decade back on the Eagles who literally only ran in a straight line at the passer and racked up crazy amounts of sacks but was otherwise worthless on defense? It was back before Reid left the Eagles, when he was promoting nobodies to DC.

I always think of that guy whenever I see "sources" grouse about players who play for their stats.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why did the Texans trade Clowney again?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why did the Texans trade Clowney again?

Because they wouldn't give him a deal the year before he hit FA then he was unhappy about being franchised and was going to hold out

They also waited until training camp to trade him which ensured the worst possible return

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

By being on the Texans, Watt spent a lot of time practicing with people who weren’t better than him. Definitely not the kind of player you’d want.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I feel like we're witnessing a team become the new Browns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The browns are incompetent but they were never this

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

King Hong Kong posted:

By being on the Texans, Watt spent a lot of time practicing with people who weren’t better than him. Definitely not the kind of player you’d want.

He spent too much time doing stuff like "hurricane relief" and "charity" and not enough time with his nose in the playbook and working to make himself better on the field. Clearly lacks dedication to the sport that your need from a player in the National Football League. :bahgawd:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I feel like we're witnessing a team become the new Browns.

The Browns are cursed it’s not their fault.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

The browns are incompetent but they were never this

This is bad but it's not 1-31 over two seasons or having 3 different head coaches in three years bad

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that player about a decade back on the Eagles who literally only ran in a straight line at the passer and racked up crazy amounts of sacks but was otherwise worthless on defense? It was back before Reid left the Eagles, when he was promoting nobodies to DC.

I always think of that guy whenever I see "sources" grouse about players who play for their stats.

This was in the middle of the wide 9 boom I remember. Connor Barwin maybe? Jesus I haven't thought of that name in forever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Browns were stunningly incompetent and jumped from position to position on a yearly basis that ruined any chance of players developing or playing well for the organization.

The Texans are different then that, they're installing a culture of failure. Letting a Robespierre consolidate power and entrench himself.

He's turning them into the Washington football team.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was this Jason Babin?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
its more analogous to the Cavs right now who informally had a draft rule named after their idiot-rear end owner

That only really covers the trading and drafting end of it, though; the religious cult takeover aspect is unique as far as I know. Maybe a lower league soccer team somewhere has had something similar happen

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

This was in the middle of the wide 9 boom I remember. Connor Barwin maybe? Jesus I haven't thought of that name in forever.

It was Jason Babin, who had 18 sacks in 2011 with the Eagles.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Was this Jason Babin?

Yes!

He had 12.5 sacks the previous season with the Titans with Jim Washburn. He went to the Eagles, Washburn came along, and it was a controversial coaching hire as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

its more analogous to the Cavs right now who informally had a draft rule named after their idiot-rear end owner

That only really covers the trading and drafting end of it, though; the religious cult takeover aspect is unique as far as I know. Maybe a lower league soccer team somewhere has had something similar happen

Soccer teams run by literal criminal enterprises aren’t this dysfunctional.