Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bowsette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah math rules

I like the FFXIV boss that challenges the players with basic math.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They should put math robot in savage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like the FFXIV boss that challenges the players with basic math.

loved watching people with 1's get caught out by Prime calls

(myself included, depending on sobriety and current poo poo-giving-levels)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i highly approve of Grubby's overlay for hiding his team's draft from stream snipers

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Huh. I think some of those are mixed up.

5. Five
4. Four
3. Three
2. Two
1. One

There. That makes more sense now.

Oh. I should known not to trust those "Terrence Howard Teaches Maths" DVDs :eng99:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Savage math robot expects you to know Gaussian primes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1366432756016807946

Weedle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 1, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://twitter.com/ShushkoVitaliy/status/1366473374365585419?s=19

The one with Barry is good

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Savage math robot expects you to know Gaussian primes

“You know primes, the inscrutable object whose true natures have kept us occupied for thousands of years? Let’s make them worse”

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Watched The King of Kong today. Billy Mitchell seems like a massive a-hole.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Watched The King of Kong today. Billy Mitchell seems like a massive a-hole.

Heck yes, Steve Wiebe!!!! :D :D :D

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wasn't there a goon who claimed that billy mitchell's hot sauce gave them stomach cancer

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
just lol if you didn't vote for bottom warch

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wuggles posted:

“You know primes, the inscrutable object whose true natures have kept us occupied for thousands of years? Let’s make them worse”

I mean yeah the primes are a very important concept in the natural numbers with lots of nice properties that go away when you expand the concept to larger number systems so yeah Gaussian primes are worse than normal primes, in that sense

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wario would never have let this happen

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/1366170100588404737

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean yeah the primes are a very important concept in the natural numbers with lots of nice properties that go away when you expand the concept to larger number systems so yeah Gaussian primes are worse than normal primes, in that sense

the fact that some regular primes fail to be Gaussian primes is not surprising but it is an example of what I like to call a "gently caress you math fact"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Imaginary numbers are fun and relevant to games through their use in quaternions

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Minecraft Update:

Bestie worked more on his nuclear reactor. He has the fuel processing working, now he just needs to get the starter bits working. No idea what it means, I have never delved deep into that.

Lady VG went hog wild carving out the entirety of under the floor and processing ores. She now has something like 3000 iron dusts alone (not to mention everything else she found).

I worked more on my little room and machine processing setup and I bring pictures :3:

This is my room. I made it in the side of an island and under the water line.

This is the machine system. Put stuff in ores and it takes it down via pipes here:

Processes ores into shards, then into dirty dusts, then into clean dusts and sends them back up to the dusts chest, where I can choose to turn them into ingots.

Metallugic infuser here for making steel and circuitry.

All my drawers full of types of wood, block and stones.

And finally:

My bed where my pet Parrot, Carrot sleeps :3:

Great mining times!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

the fact that some regular primes fail to be Gaussian primes is not surprising but it is an example of what I like to call a "gently caress you math fact"

I don't think I ever got that power up in Halo

also if anyone is playing Minecraft for more than sixteen minutes per week you should just record the footage and upload it to youtube and make a free 300,000$ because every middle schooler on earth WILL watch your video

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Imaginary numbers are fun and relevant to games through their use in quaternions

as soon as i learned that sqrt(-1), a value that doesn't exist, has applications to plain-rear end electricity (let alone anything else) i gave up on giving a flying toss about mathematics

idk why but i is irksome as hell to me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The question you should be asking isn't "are numbers real" but "are numbers useful"

and complex numbers are extremely useful

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sure, i know, but something about a number that you can't plug into a 10key breaks my feeble brain and I hate that :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
imo, i exists just as much as the abstract concept of "3" exists, divorced of representing any specific 3 things

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

sure, i know, but something about a number that you can't plug into a 10key breaks my feeble brain and I hate that :v:

ah, like 1/3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone further in Math.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

ah, like 1/3

look, i know i'm not smart, ok

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sorry for being a math bully

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I feel like the way we call them imaginary numbers has caused more harm than good tbh

Weedle
May 31, 2006

all numbers are imaginary. what is a four. it's not a thing. it's just an idea. like dracula

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bovis posted:

I feel like the way we call them imaginary numbers has caused more harm than good tbh

It was explicitly an attack made by mathematicians of the era who didn't like them

then people started calling the previous numbers "real numbers" and both names stuck

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

here's an imaginary number for you math nerds: 69 :c00l:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imaginary numbers would be better if you just changed, literally everything about them. their name, their representation, everything that was too important to be left to primitive european mathematicians that didn't even fully believe that negative numbers were a thing

it's the cobol, of math

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
complex numbers are just vectors but with translation and rotation/scaling defined to be addition and multiplication. The up vector, multiplied by itself, becomes the left vector.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

it's not a GAAS,

i spent the weekend mindlessly farming chests and finally got a legendary

These infos seem extremely conflicting and at best reads like one of those games where it feels like an MMO or GaaS that switched gears mid development? Shooting + grind + loot is a funky triangle formula. Borderlands 2 did it okay, right up until grind started, then you quit playing so its fine. Not crazy about shooting game where I gotta stop and try and think about which gun is best right now. I'll settle for a looter shooter where there's no ammo refill, you just use gun until its out of bullets then throw it away forever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What are games if not numbers turning into other numbers

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

What are games if not numbers turning into other numbers

that scene from the Matrix where they're staring at the code scrolling on the screen but it's four people grouped around with gamecube controllers screaming

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

complex numbers are just vectors but with translation and rotation/scaling defined to be addition and multiplication. The up vector, multiplied by itself, becomes the left vector.
in math 2.0 that's what they would be, but in caveman math they're saddled with a representation that insists that they work inside linear equations which hides what's actually happening because they were afraid of symbols that weren't the plus sign

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imaginary numbers made way more sense to me after college when I heard someone explain them as just regular old numbers, but on the Y axis of the number line. Like you've got every real number on the X axis, but you wanna go up or down a little, that's an imaginary number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is Baldur's Gate III coming along in Early Access? It probably won't be version 1.0 until this October?