Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

It’s funny how that bit really nails how... fake? her persona is. Like, just explain that you’re a psycho who doesn’t like music or you only listen to The Beach Boys or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

stellers bae posted:

Isn't it kinda weird to say 'womxn' when you're trying to be inclusive of trans women? Like, they're women.

yeah that's what I was thinking

I get latinx because there's latino and latina

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

How does anyone not view this as hilarious cringe

Also why is the picture shot from like 2 feet high

hard to look powerful hunched over on a couch pretending to read paper work

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

look i know you deserve $15 but company policy is that we cant do raises outside of schedule so my hands are tied but keep up the hard work and ill see what i can do in 6 months :)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

stellers bae posted:

Isn't it kinda weird to say 'womxn' when you're trying to be inclusive of trans women? Like, they're women.

it is a real bad way of doing it yeah

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

womxn seems like the civil unions of trans acceptance

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

the 'latinx' term is 100% invented by anglo white libs lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Womyn" was invented based on a false etymology, where the people who came up with it thought the original word really is just "man" with a "wo" prefix and didn't bother looking it up; "womxn" appears to have even less thought behind it

As a Latin nerd the word "herstory" infuriates me because did they really think a word as old as "history" is actually just a portmanteau of "his" and "story", that's just so dumb

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

even that's weird to me. they have a spanish word for 'latino and latina', it's 'latinos'.

seems kinda colonial to be like 'mmm, excuse me your language could use a little help'

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Wonder what life in Opposite World is like

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I definitely went off about this in a previous succzone thread, but "history" comes from the Latin word "historia" which means "HISTORY", GODDAMMIT

the Latin for "his story" is "eius fabula"

the Latin for "her story" is ALSO "eius fabula"

open a loving book before you invent a new word for Christ's sake

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

stellers bae posted:

even that's weird to me. they have a spanish word for 'latino and latina', it's 'latinos'.

seems kinda colonial to be like 'mmm, excuse me your language could use a little help'

not to mention it's incredibly clumsy to pronounce in Spanish

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Herstory is only an acceptable term in the context of drag queens

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

stellers bae posted:

well, trans women typically have more bravado and machismo, culturally, than other women so we refer to them as womxn

we're inclusive :thumbsup:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

How do I pronounce womxn so I can mock it properly in person?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

yellowcar posted:

not to mention it's incredibly clumsy to pronounce in Spanish

i am like 99.99% sure its not meant to be said aloud. just a gender neutral way to put it into writing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

General Bullshit posted:

I understand why you didn't watch the video with sound on, but it's just pronounced "women" because it was never intended for anything other than online discourse

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Amxn, and Awomxn.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

yellowcar posted:

the 'latinx' term is 100% invented by anglo white libs lol

oh poo poo lol

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1366154127424835585

the vice president will take many calls and have many meetings

Life coach voice "you'd be more productive if you sat at a desk" :eng101:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Also kill me, jesus christ

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

General Bullshit posted:

whoa mzn

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i am like 99.99% sure its not meant to be said aloud. just a gender neutral way to put it into writing

no it's far worse than that, the LA times has something called 'the latinx files' implying the way to say it is latin-ecks

and yes, that does imply an english reading of the word

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

General Bullshit posted:

Wohm ex in

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

oh poo poo lol

it is cultural imperialism, basically

that and the people who use "Latin@"

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
i am very inclusive of the latinkkkkhhhhhhhhhhhhhhses

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

loquacius posted:

I understand why you didn't watch the video with sound on, but it's just pronounced "women" because it was never intended for anything other than online discourse

this is assuming they consulted the people in the video on the spelling lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think the root cause here is that libs are idealists and as such think that words have literal inherent power, so in order to help the oppressed it's enough to change a word to a better one and you don't have to deal with any of the pesky underlying material structures that create a need for exclusionary and oppressive language in the first place and so on and so forth

but since libs are also deathly opposed to actually improving the material conditions of the oppressed symbolic poo poo is also literally all they've got to offer and so you get this endless cavalcade of neologisms and verbal modifications of verbal modifications until the whole thing just breaks down into absurdity

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

Hispanic Trends. Pew Research Center. Retrieved August 21, 2020. However, for the population it is meant to describe, only 23% of U.S. adults who self-identify as Hispanic or Latino have heard of the term Latinx, and just 3% say they use it to describe themselves, according to a nationally representative, bilingual survey of U.S. Hispanic adults conducted in December 2019 by Pew Research Center.

quote:

"Latinx is a term used exclusively within the United States, or nearly so, such that people from Latin America would not ordinarily think of themselves as Latinxs, unless or until they reside in the United States."

lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
how about they come up with a gender inclusive version that truly represents the different ethnicities within China

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I see a lot more value in using language for change by making statements like "trans rights are human rights" and "black lives matter" than in subbing an x for another vowel. It always seems like a thing someone just came up with and wants everyone else to use that's too divorced from whatever meaning the creators intended

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Shipon posted:

how about they come up with a gender inclusive version that truly represents the different ethnicities within China

Way ahead of you
https://twitter.com/MattWatchGundam/status/1331425139095973889

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shipon posted:

FUUUUUUUCK.

Our exchange student introduced our family to the fact that there's at least 54 different races living in China and it's very important to know exactly who is who.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

A friend of mine said that Trans Hispanic people like using the Latinx because I said i thought it was thr dumbest bit of liberal poo poo in a long while. So I have no idea how true or not that is

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

that's the one i was looking for but twitter search sucks rear end

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i have a very simple solution for woke americans: ditch english and embrace languages that have no gendered pronouns or grammar like estonian or mandarin

bing bong so simple

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Humxn race.

You people aren't even on my level. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yellowcar posted:

i have a very simple solution for woke americans: ditch english and embrace languages that have no gendered pronouns or grammar like estonian or mandarin

so, those societies are glorious post-gender utopias with absolutely no extant misogyny right

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wimksin

Latinks

If I ever have to read one of those stupid words out loud in front of someone, I'll pretend I've never seen it before and pronounce it thusly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lol that the democrats could exert a tiny amount of power to give people a one time 2k payment and raise the minimum wage over five loving years to a level that is a poverty wage today. These things would barely chip away at income inequality; they're a drop in the bucket compared to the trillions we shovel to billionaires every year. And yet they would be a huge PR win for the party and a tangible accomplishment that every dem could campaign on. But they won't do it.