Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can track down the 2003-ish DVD release it's on there as an alternate audio track.

I know because it's on the original Madman Entertainment DVD release in Australia, which I own :smuggo:.

I think it’s also an alternate track on the blu ray from ~10 years ago, as that’s why I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:laffo: Big Joel doesn't even look anything like RD's avatar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

:laffo: Big Joel doesn't even look anything like RD's avatar.

And as somebody in the thread says Joel also looks way more put together than Keem's terrible notion, not unlike many online people, that awful unkempt facial hair equates to personality.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Now you’re king of da mountain aren’t ya? But it’s all GAHBAGE!”

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
On a lighter note, Ann Reardon puts a Buzzfeed recipe for fluffy Japanese-style pancackes to the test to figure out why so many people are having trouble following it and gives her own improved version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOMSNZ-pIk

On a heavier note, Council of Geeks shares her thoughts on the new miniseries "It's a Sin" from Russell T. Davies about what life was like for gay men in England during the AIDS crisis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CT_5sGussM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Archer666 posted:

She does have the crazy cat anime lady energy. But honestly I think its neat that a VA can get this excited for a character they voice.

They did a rotating cast commentary for the BluRay release of 2.22 and I remember when it came time for Tiffany Grant's segment, she used her time to tell a story about how she met Yuko Miyamura, the Japanese VA for Asuka, on a trip to Tokyo once and they just hung out all day and visited the Tokyo Zoo with Miyamura's then infant daughter, and it was incredibly adorable. I've kind of never seen an actor have as much pride in a role they've inhabited as Tiffany Grant is proud to have played (and continue playing) Asuka.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The End of Eva dvd commentary is to this day one of the few commentary tracks I watch basically every time I watch the main movie, ditto the death and rebirth one, they just have such a wealth of knowledge of the behind the scenes stuff and a love for the source material that it's just fun to listen to them talk about it and how much fun they had working on it.

Which just makes Khara loving them over so hard all the sadder tbh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Let us remember we're all nakama* in this thread and enjoy Keemstar clowning himself so hard he should by all rights collapse into himself like a dying star:

https://twitter.com/CosmonautMarcus/status/1366116902796369923

*A Japanese word that is something like comrades but also a connection so powerful can't be properly translated into English and also just means comrades

This the second time this week that RD's been aparty to a twitter rear end in a top hat clowning themselves into oblivion, styling on Doctor Urinalhead as he slips on the clownshoes with this banger

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1365013323096424462

The stream of replies to that main tweet is incredible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Augus posted:

“Now you’re king of da mountain aren’t ya? But it’s all GAHBAGE!”

See, this is just not quite right.

"おめェもボスになったんだろぉ?この瓦礫の山でよぉ。"

In context, Tetsuo is airing his grievances to Kaneda, talking about how Kaneda's always told him what to do, treated him like a child, and acted like the boss wherever they went, and how much he always resented it.

A better translation of Kaneda's response would be "You became the boss too, didn't you? On this mountain of rubble."

The translation for this dub is actually pretty reasonable, at least for this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4W8jWpv8g

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

I have never played a Yakuza game in english.

I mean considering only the very oldest and the very newest have been :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That line loving sucks though. It's gahbage.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In 2019 there was a re-union of the ADV voice cast at some convention. They spent most of the time recounting what it was like to work on translation and voice acting in the 90s and working with Gainax and Hideaki Anno. Some of the stories are well known to Eva fans but a lot of them I'd never heard before. Also the script that Netflix used that everyone hates has apparently been around since before the ADV dub, since early in localisation Gainax tried to get them to use it for their dub and was flatly refused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

More Tumblr-related shenanigans, this time from KickScammers: The weird world of crowdfunding Tumblr scams!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jamie Faith posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch an hour long video on the infamous "Oppa homeless style" fake tumblr story, Sarah Z has you covered lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU7aGZ-o68

Almost didn't watch this because of the clickbait title but it's so much more interesting that it sounds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also gently caress the netflix EVA dub, Kaoru is gay, shut up with your fun-hating revisionism gainax.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The sad part is they did go back and fix the subtitles in the end.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1366286832057556992?s=19

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 1, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:colbert:

Just considerately kissing my bro straight on the mouth.

Shinji later: "I was attracted to him... before I knew it... somewhere deep in my heart... even though I knew I shouldn't like a guy like that."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 1, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Almost didn't watch this because of the clickbait title but it's so much more interesting that it sounds.
How is it clickbait?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sarcopenia posted:

How is it clickbait?

"Tumblr's FAKEST story" feels pretty clickbaity :shrug:

I'm not raging about clickbait titles in general, it's just this particular one made the video sound less interesting than it actually was.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

:colbert:

Just considerately kissing my bro straight on the mouth.

Shinji later: "I was attracted to him... before I knew it... somewhere deep in my heart... even though I knew I shouldn't like a guy like that."

It's kind of weird to use that manga image considering that it wasn't a kiss in any romantic way. The manga plays up Kaworu being this alien thing who doesn't understand life and norms (I believe he squeezes a kitten to death in front of Kaworu and is like "its dead whats the big deal?" while Shinji's just going wtf at him), so when Shinji's resting and starts to hyperventilate in his sleep, Kaworu decides to use his own mouth instead of a bag to normalize Shinji's breathing. Then once Shinji wakes up, he pushes away Kaworu and he just leaves.

There's obvious subtext between Shinji and Kaworu and the idea of pure love, but that part of the manga isn't it. In fact Sadamoto's manga was a slightly worse interpretation of Eva imo cause it tried to make it a more normal shonen type of story, which I wasn't a fan of.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Archer666 posted:

It's kind of weird to use that manga image considering that it wasn't a kiss in any romantic way. The manga plays up Kaworu being this alien thing who doesn't understand life and norms, so when Shinji's resting and starts to hyperventilate in his sleep, Kaworu decides to use his own mouth instead of a bag to normalize Shinji's breathing. Then once Shinji wakes up, he pushes away Kaworu and he just leaves.

"Sadamoto stated that he wanted to make that scene a normal kiss scene, but that he was very shy about it, so he made up the hyperventilating excuse for them to kiss."

:v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 1, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

"Sadamoto stated that he wanted to make that scene a normal kiss scene, but that he was very shy about it, so he made up the hyperventilating excuse for them to kiss."

:v:

Is there a source for this that isn't a random reddit comment? I'm legit curious, cause I remember reading that Sadamoto wasn't really wild about the pairing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Is there a source for this that isn't a random reddit comment? I'm legit curious, cause I remember reading that Sadamoto wasn't really wild about the pairing.

Yepper, it's all translated here, with the particular part though being below. It's a pretty neat interview, though I hate the tiny text on that blog.

ALL ABOUT KAWORU NAGISA BOOK (WITH SADAMOTO’S INTERVIEW TRANSLATED- Part 3, Question 3)

"——What about Kaworu and Shinji’s kiss scene? Was that also because of Kaworu’s complex feeling?
I deliberately put that part in the manga even I knew it was wrong to do something like this.(laugh) When I designed this scene, my intent is that I can’t draw this as merely a kiss. I remember reading that you can use kiss as a CPR, you can use your mouth. I always thought that I can make this a kiss scene! But I still felt very shy, so when I was drawing this scene, I didn’t make any sketches (laugh) When I modified the art, the whole page was covered with white correction fluid. After that, Kaworu’s attitude was also trying to cover up his shyness. He joked about “It worked!” or something. It was also I was covering up my own shyness.(laugh)"

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 1, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The manga version of Kaworu is a psycho and also way less interesting than the anime version despite the fact that he sticks around a lot longer.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Yepper, it's all translated here, with the particular part though being below. It's a pretty neat interview, though I hate the tiny text on that blog.

ALL ABOUT KAWORU NAGISA BOOK (WITH SADAMOTO’S INTERVIEW TRANSLATED- Part 3, Question 3)

"——What about Kaworu and Shinji’s kiss scene? Was that also because of Kaworu’s complex feeling?
I deliberately put that part in the manga even I knew it was wrong to do something like this.(laugh) When I designed this scene, my intent is that I can’t draw this as merely a kiss. I remember reading that you can use kiss as a CPR, you can use your mouth. I always thought that I can make this a kiss scene! But I still felt very shy, so when I was drawing this scene, I didn’t make any sketches (laugh) When I modified the art, the whole page was covered with white correction fluid. After that, Kaworu’s attitude was also trying to cover up his shyness. He joked about “It worked!” or something. It was also I was covering up my own shyness.(laugh)"

Neat, thanks! There's so much info on Eva with bullshit mixed it from the Western Eva fans that wrote something down 20 years ago and never verified it, that I'm usually skeptical when people say "Oh but Anno/Sadamoto/assistant said".

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember the consensus regarding the happy finale of EVA being that it was a sort of 1984 brainwashing; the people serially congratulating Shinji for accepting himself and his worth were "artificial and robotic", trying to draw him into a false, happy world that meant not having to face his harsh reality, and him accepting them making the ending very grim and sad....

...and the End of Evangelion was coming to set that straight and give us the -real- deal!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sephyr posted:

I remember the consensus regarding the happy finale of EVA being that it was a sort of 1984 brainwashing; the people serially congratulating Shinji for accepting himself and his worth were "artificial and robotic", trying to draw him into a false, happy world that meant not having to face his harsh reality, and him accepting them making the ending very grim and sad....

I don't know. Most of the final two episodes is already Shinji turning from reality. The "congratulations" is specifically contrasted against that avoidance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Another big myth is the "death threats" that supposedly flash by in End of Evangelion, which are often pointed to as evidence that EoE was written as a "gently caress you" to the fandom. There is some truth to it, a few of the letters really are hate mail and death threats, but the majority that are shown are actually positive and encouraging fan mail with people saying how much they were moved by Eva and how they related to it.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats

The placement of these notes is also right at the start of the movie's big triumphant moment, it'd be weird to put them there if they were supposed to express a negative sentiment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPbU-LxzjcI

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Struccimovies - Lupin III: The First Review and Analysis

https://youtu.be/Y2D6lA1BuGI

Check it out before it gets taken down again.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Jim Sterling on the final death of Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPbU-LxzjcI&feature=share&ab_channel=JimSterling

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
It's amazing that any studio sells to EA considering they're a Dev Studio serial killer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think most people who sell to EA are already in dire straits so it's a choice of "die now" or "die in a few years after the last drops of blood have been wrung out of our corpse."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Or ownership gets a big pay day so doesn't care.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I fear for Codemasters, I really do.

But BREAKING NEWS: A first on the Internet. After enjoying so many flavours and aromas of the 18th Century...all the nutmeg in the world couldn't save this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfRpxj29RXE

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Grunch Worldflower posted:

It's amazing that any studio sells to EA considering they're a Dev Studio serial killer.

To be fair, from what we know everything that's been going on with Bioware has mostly been Bioware loving up and not EA screwing with them.

Bioware spent years doing nothing with both Andromeda and Anthem until EA eventually told them to stop loving around and make them into actual games. Anthem's flying, like the one thing that everyone says is the good bit was something EA told them to put back in after they showed an old demo featuring it to EA's CEO after they had already taken it out of the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't watch the Sterling video at the moment so maybe he addresses it, but there's an old post-mortem on Anthem's development and it makes sound less like EA did them in and more that Bioware's upper management is completely hosed, their insistence on using Frostbite despite it being designed for a completely different type of game, and massive scope creep. EA only really got involved at the end, when they got sick of constant delays and subpar internal demos and sent somebody to Bioware to supersede management and get the drat game out the door.

Honestly I don't blame EA for looking at the absolute mess that was their handling of Anthem and going "lol no" to Bioware's request for even more staff to try and fix it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1366440175337807877

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCCs6yTpPY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh great that tedious AOT argument is back.

I thought it died like four years ago.

Oh it’s Dan Olson that makes sense

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

whats funny is everything i heard, it was mostly biowares fault. they thought they could go full destiny made a ton of gently caress ups and like an EA excutive had to come down and give them basic suggestions and poo poo. like EA sucks rear end but bioware has been the one making GBS threads the bed the last 2 times.

Sydin posted:

I can't watch the Sterling video at the moment so maybe he addresses it, but there's an old post-mortem on Anthem's development and it makes sound less like EA did them in and more that Bioware's upper management is completely hosed, their insistence on using Frostbite despite it being designed for a completely different type of game, and massive scope creep. EA only really got involved at the end, when they got sick of constant delays and subpar internal demos and sent somebody to Bioware to supersede management and get the drat game out the door.

Honestly I don't blame EA for looking at the absolute mess that was their handling of Anthem and going "lol no" to Bioware's request for even more staff to try and fix it.

i havent watched yet either but i am guessing maybe. sterling is weird like that so i could see them blaming both sides but they hate publishers more with mostly good reasons so who knows.

Edit. sterling talks mostly about how games chasing trends and GAAS hosed it and the industry won't learn poo poo because excutives don't give a gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 2, 2021